Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crikey 14:23 - Jun 5 with 8060 viewsDrizzle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2648272/Should-ban-Christmas-Tell
Crikey on 14:38 - Jun 6 with 1572 viewsJackSomething

Crikey on 14:20 - Jun 6 by JackoBoostardo

Sorry to have to correct you again, but St Nicholas of Myra was a Christian Bishop from the 4th Century (the remains of whom are allegedly buried in Italy. The customer of giving gifts at Christmas was propogated by Martin Luther ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther) as a means of focusing on an interest in the Children of Christ.

Prior to its Christianization, there was indeed a Germanic pagan midwinter event known as Yule. During this period, it was said supernatural events would occur such as a ghostly show in the sky. The person responsible for these 'shows' or 'gifts' would be commonly referred to by the Old Norse name Jólnir, which means Yule Figure, or Langbarðr, meaning "long-beard" . However, with the christianization of Germany, brought with it many adaptions to the older tales and stories that resulted in the above characters being replaced with St Nicholas.

So what started of as a pagan ritual or tradition was hijacked by Christianity.

This is the earliest known recorded evidence to explain the origins of Christmas.

And another clue to give it away would be to break up the word Christ and Mas.

Again I am assumed to be a militant atheist. Please define a militant atheist. if you mean someone who dislikes the basis and foundations of religion, and instead prefers a world where the religious are not in control then yes - I guess I am. Afterall, you fail to appreciate the law bringers in every office in the UK, USA etc, are all religious (indeed, in many cases - especially the US, it is a requirement to believe in god). If you then consider the fact that these same people have control over our education, rights and everyday lives. That would make me a concerned Aheist too. Especially when you consider the progress humanity is being prevented from pursuing - such as Stem Cell research for instance. I believe in a world where religion and politics should be completely separate - yet in the UK the House Of Lords has the final say over what we do.... have you seen how many 'lords' are bishops and people of religion?

So if the above makes me a militant atheist then so be it! Don't make out it's a bad thing - or that I'm some kind of terrorist. Your insinuations are somewhat ridiculous.

Another long post by phone - great!

I never said Santa had nothing to do with Christmas historically, just it doesn't have to do so today if you don't want it to.

I believed in Santa when I was a child and was encouraged to do so by my parents, yet grew up in a household with no religious affinity, eventually choosing that I didn't believe in God. If you think Santa Claus can't be separated from religion, you're wrong. I'm living proof if you like.

So Christmas can be split into Christ and Mas. Thanks for pointing that out, I would never have spotted that without help. I take it you don't celebrate at all at Christmas because of it's religious origins? No presents, no turkey, no relatives visiting? Your place must be joyous on the 25th of December.

It's ironic that you're arguing with someone who generally shares your opinions on religion. The problem for you is that I don't go far enough and cut off my own nose to spite my face by rejecting everything that has anything to do with religion.

You'd probably also be annoyed that I cut a cross into the top of soda bread when I bake it. I'm not 'warding off the devil', just making it look like it does in the cookbook.

Finally, I'm not making out that you being a militant atheist is a bad thing. I'd say the content of your posts is doing that for you.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 14:38]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Crikey on 15:29 - Jun 6 with 1554 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 14:38 - Jun 6 by JackSomething

I never said Santa had nothing to do with Christmas historically, just it doesn't have to do so today if you don't want it to.

I believed in Santa when I was a child and was encouraged to do so by my parents, yet grew up in a household with no religious affinity, eventually choosing that I didn't believe in God. If you think Santa Claus can't be separated from religion, you're wrong. I'm living proof if you like.

So Christmas can be split into Christ and Mas. Thanks for pointing that out, I would never have spotted that without help. I take it you don't celebrate at all at Christmas because of it's religious origins? No presents, no turkey, no relatives visiting? Your place must be joyous on the 25th of December.

It's ironic that you're arguing with someone who generally shares your opinions on religion. The problem for you is that I don't go far enough and cut off my own nose to spite my face by rejecting everything that has anything to do with religion.

You'd probably also be annoyed that I cut a cross into the top of soda bread when I bake it. I'm not 'warding off the devil', just making it look like it does in the cookbook.

Finally, I'm not making out that you being a militant atheist is a bad thing. I'd say the content of your posts is doing that for you.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2014 14:38]

You're assuming I'm arguing with you?

Okay... I am simply pointing out that even today it is considered a Christian event, even today. However, I too celebrate Christmas.

I am often criticised for doing so, being an atheist. People claim I am a hypocrite for doing so, however these people are religious themselves so see me as someone who shouldn't be sharing 'their' christmas'. However, my celebration is not based on the religion, but instead it is the only viable time all my family are available to meet up in one go throughout the year for a few days.

Some of your comments appear to just take the piss. Annoyed that you would cut a cross on bread? Condescending much?

Have a debate or not. Accept my views or not. I'm not the one responding to my own comments, this instigating a further reply. Take it or leave it.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Crikey on 17:21 - Jun 6 with 1529 viewsJackSomething

Crikey on 15:29 - Jun 6 by JackoBoostardo

Okay... I am simply pointing out that even today it is considered a Christian event, even today. However, I too celebrate Christmas.

I am often criticised for doing so, being an atheist. People claim I am a hypocrite for doing so, however these people are religious themselves so see me as someone who shouldn't be sharing 'their' christmas'. However, my celebration is not based on the religion, but instead it is the only viable time all my family are available to meet up in one go throughout the year for a few days.

Some of your comments appear to just take the piss. Annoyed that you would cut a cross on bread? Condescending much?

Have a debate or not. Accept my views or not. I'm not the one responding to my own comments, this instigating a further reply. Take it or leave it.

Of course I was taking the piss. It seemed the only natural response to some of your posts and I don't think I'm alone in that.

Maybe arguing was the wrong word. I should have said debating.

I'm glad you don't let Christmas' origins as a religious event stop you from celebrating it and I certainly won't call you hypocritical for it. It also moderates your position somewhat and makes you appear less severe on this issue than some of your earlier posts suggested.

I thought the soda bread reference was a good one. A true nutter would take offence at that. Glad to see you didn't.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Crikey on 17:22 - Jun 6 with 1527 viewsDrizzle

Crikey on 15:29 - Jun 6 by JackoBoostardo

No but you are typing pages and pages of laughable subjective shyte.
Crikey on 20:27 - Jun 6 with 1511 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 17:22 - Jun 6 by Drizzle

No but you are typing pages and pages of laughable subjective shyte.

Yet you provide no meaningful or intelligent response yourself? Who's the one talking shyte eh?

Intelligent dialogue a foreign concept for you? Move on - nothing to see here.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024