Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread 18:49 - Jul 3 with 6343 viewsDeptfordR

Really don't see it as a bad thing tbh, yes there is a possibility he might break down in the first game and be injured for a year but, It is also worth bearing in mind, that ANY player could break down or get injured and be out for a year or life (Richard Ord anyone?).

But he might not get injured or fall apart.

He might play 25-30 games, his experience may be invaluable (remember the up roar when we signed Clint Hill and Ryan Nelson). He may help Caulker (of course IF he joins) to a spot in the England team, there is one there for the taking. We have Nedum Onuoha who can learn from him still at 27.

We have Ehmer, Harriman, Sendles-White who could all learn from one of the best defenders England have produced in the last 30

And to top it all off it will cost us (if figures are to be believed in regards wages) under 3million quid.

Yes, yes I am actually quite happy.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 18:53 - Jul 3 with 4995 viewsDougal_RBlock

This is the first sensible post I've seen on here about Ferdinand.

It's not just what he brings on the pitch (which is first class defending and know how) it's what he also brings off of it. Winning mentality, how to see out games, how to out smart the opposition. That experience for players like Caulker (if he signs) or the lad from Forest (if he signs) and Onuoha is invaluable.

I personally think it would be a good signing and its only a YEAR contract, its not as though were giving him a 5 year retirement contract.

I'm all for him signing.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 19:11 - Jul 3 with 4952 viewseghamranger

On the right contract and price a no brainier !

Would be good in the dressing room and good for the club. Better than the last two duds we had from Man U...park and keane
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 19:13 - Jul 3 with 4951 viewsjamois

We do have Dunne/Hill to provide that experienced head in the dressing room, although Rio's a proven winner so it could be a slightly more positive presence I guess.

But based on games I saw of Rio last year, not many but a few, he's now almost as slow as Dunne. I don't mind him signing but not if it prevents us signing someone else who's quality but a tad sharper, i.e. under 30.

Then again, Rio is a good reader of the game, I think, so maybe his ageing legs become slightly less of a liability. Although the speed of thought and deed in the premiership, and the game in general, seems to be steadily increasing, pace is such a factor now.

As you can tell I'm thinking out loud here. No idea......

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 19:20 - Jul 3 with 4935 viewsDeptfordR

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 19:11 - Jul 3 by eghamranger

On the right contract and price a no brainier !

Would be good in the dressing room and good for the club. Better than the last two duds we had from Man U...park and keane

Exactly, if it's true and it's a year and he wants 60k a week then I see it as decent business.
I don't buy the lack of commitment thing either, if he comes it's because he WANTS to.
He could definitely get a contract at a middle of the road Champions League club and sit in the Sun somewhere for a year or two.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 21:41 - Jul 3 with 4795 viewsBlackCrowe

You know what, having been against it when it was reported in the press, I felt disappointed when it sounded like it might fall through. IF he stays injury free, he could be a v good influence on the team for a year or two. He's a decent bloke, made of the right stuff (missed drugs tests aside).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 21:44 - Jul 3 with 4787 viewsswisscottage

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 19:20 - Jul 3 by DeptfordR

Exactly, if it's true and it's a year and he wants 60k a week then I see it as decent business.
I don't buy the lack of commitment thing either, if he comes it's because he WANTS to.
He could definitely get a contract at a middle of the road Champions League club and sit in the Sun somewhere for a year or two.

I'm a little bit mixed about this.

On the one hand he's 35 years old with injury problems over the last two years and showing signs of having lost his pace.

On the other hand he's, imho, the best centre half England have produced in the last 25 years and he's reading of the game is still superb.
He would have no problem getting more money in the states or elsewhere, so he's not one of those mercenaries looking for a big payday. He's not just one of those ex- England internationals who've played a couple of matches, this guy was top draw as a centre half.

If he stays fit, personally I think he'll be worth every penny of the 3.3 mil we'll be paying over the year.

If he doesn't stay fit and play well, then he better be prepared for the dog's abuse that will come his way.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 22:03 - Jul 3 with 4756 viewsVish

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 19:20 - Jul 3 by DeptfordR

Would he sign for us if we weren't a London club?

A bad signing in my view. For his wage we could sign three championship players who are younger, quicker and have a point to prove.

No lessons learnt for me if we sign Rio.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 22:10 - Jul 3 with 4734 viewsBerkoRanger

A leader, a winner and vastly experienced. And if he also does his coaching badges, we'd have a very good defensive coach.
He's in the plus column for me.
Login to get fewer ads

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 22:19 - Jul 3 with 4714 viewsBrightonhoop

I think it probably runs a bit deeper than that, a) there's Arry and b) The Club were brilliant and stood by his brother absolutely during the Terry trial and subsequent fall out.

Sam as above, on the right contract, 1 year, and not on silly money, he'll do a job for us.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 22:24 - Jul 3 with 4705 viewsCiderwithRsie

He's not a bad signing per se. A class act, seems a decent bloke, thinks John Terry is a w*nker, dressing room influence etc.

The first problem is whether we can build a defence about him, and on basis of age and injury record the answer should be "no". The "anyone can break down" argument is specious - anyone *could* break down but a 35 year old [36 in November] with a track record of injuries is a sight more likely to than say a 25 year old with no previous injuries. [cf Zamora and AJ] How do you think insurance companies set premiums - its called probability.

So he'd be in the squad as a good influence and in the hope that he'll play enough games to maybe allow Dunne to complete a season, or to allow a younger player maybe from a lower division to get acclimatised, or as cover. Not a bad thing but it depends on the cost and it also means taking up a squad place. So I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram if we sign him, especially if we also sign a younger player - e.g. Caulker or that Forest bloke - but I won't be celebrating much either. Either way I'll be bloody glad it's not me paying his wages.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 07:54 - Jul 4 with 4573 viewsmikeygunn

He shares the same birthday as me, for that reason alone, I'm in.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 08:35 - Jul 4 with 4532 viewsizlingtonhoop

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 07:54 - Jul 4 by mikeygunn

He shares the same birthday as me, for that reason alone, I'm in.

Do you work for Leeds?
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 08:50 - Jul 4 with 4520 viewskingsburyR

Play he against Chelsea if only to ramp up the venom between the teams.

Looking forward to welcoming Diego Costa to LR this season.

Will he have the balls or do a Mata?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:21 - Jul 4 with 4473 viewssimmo

At what point did we become a club that pays a 35 year old with no resale value 60k a week and regard that as a 'no brainer'?

60k a week FFS.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:32 - Jul 4 with 4452 viewsdaveB

sign him up, 3 at the back Rio as sweeper alongside the pace and power of Onuoha (ohh I may have spelt that right) and Caulker
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:38 - Jul 4 with 4438 viewsPommyhoop

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:32 - Jul 4 by daveB

sign him up, 3 at the back Rio as sweeper alongside the pace and power of Onuoha (ohh I may have spelt that right) and Caulker

35 ,nearly 36 ...injury problems well known about..How many times are we going to see Rio line up with Chief. H is just like Hughes was with Johnson in that he arrogantly thinks /hopes that the player will sudenly become immune to his old injury woes when he signs for us...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:39 - Jul 4 with 4436 viewsTacticalR

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:21 - Jul 4 by simmo

At what point did we become a club that pays a 35 year old with no resale value 60k a week and regard that as a 'no brainer'?

60k a week FFS.

When 60k became a 'massive pay-cut'
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-legend-rio-ferdinand-

Air hostess clique

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:42 - Jul 4 with 4427 viewsMedwayR

I would accept Ferdinand signing as long as we also sign Caulker, if it's Ferdinand only then I'm not keen. If we got Lascelles in addition to Ferdinand & Caulker I'd be very pleased.

Poll: Who’s better?

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:57 - Jul 4 with 4410 viewsdaveB

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:38 - Jul 4 by Pommyhoop

35 ,nearly 36 ...injury problems well known about..How many times are we going to see Rio line up with Chief. H is just like Hughes was with Johnson in that he arrogantly thinks /hopes that the player will sudenly become immune to his old injury woes when he signs for us...

any player can get injured, if managed correctly he's still a very good player and someone who could help the younger players
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 10:02 - Jul 4 with 4408 viewsPommyhoop

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:57 - Jul 4 by daveB

any player can get injured, if managed correctly he's still a very good player and someone who could help the younger players

Yep anyone can get injured.Especially a 36 year old with a history of injuries.If we need a coach for the younger central defenders get a f'cking coach ,and pay him coaching wages..

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 10:23 - Jul 4 with 4382 viewsdaveB

not about being a coach more passing on his experience, it's a gamble to sign him but I'd look at it the same as Dunne, if you can get 15 good performances out of him then we'll stay up and he is still capable of that
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 10:29 - Jul 4 with 4372 viewsPommyhoop

It just seems to me that everyone just moves the goalposts when H is involved.I thought everyone had agreed that.''this club should not be a place for good players to come and die'. Rio ticks every box. He's nearly 36 and he's won everything available to a Prem player apart from a world Cup and his latter career is riddled with injuries. Should be a no brainer .AVOID ...Dodge that bullet. But nah .H sais he's a goodun and pple just cave in ..

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 10:41 - Jul 4 with 4355 viewsPommyhoop

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 10:23 - Jul 4 by daveB

not about being a coach more passing on his experience, it's a gamble to sign him but I'd look at it the same as Dunne, if you can get 15 good performances out of him then we'll stay up and he is still capable of that

Dunne would never keep us up in a million years .You talking about Nelsen?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2014 10:51]

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 11:01 - Jul 4 with 4316 viewswhittocksRs

The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 09:21 - Jul 4 by simmo

60k a week FFS.

This.

Thought we had the perspective not to go down this road again.
The 'I'm actually quite pleased if we sign Ferdinand' thread on 11:06 - Jul 4 with 4306 viewskysersosaqpr

Dunne just as good. His reading and positional play, and determination for our last four games was exceptional - would be as good a mentor for young centre half as Ferdinand but at no further cost.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024