Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what's happening out in the Bay 16:12 - Oct 7 with 11260 viewsswanny

Just come back from holibobs...what's that red platform out in the Bay - have we got Oil?

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

what's happening out in the Bay on 18:03 - Oct 8 with 1737 viewsBatterseajack

what's happening out in the Bay on 17:46 - Oct 8 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

The video the company made looks wonderful and if the final result ends up looking like that and everything they said happens then I'm all for it.

The reality is they don't have permission to do most of what is featured in that video and it is completely out of their hands whether it turns into what they are saying it will.

Someone's completely jumped the gun with that video although it's served its purpose as it has convinced a whole lot of people it's a marvellous idea without any substantial evidence to show it's doable.

The council could demand that they build sports and leisure facilities as part of a planning condition. Yes it might not end up exactly like in the video, but that video is purely a demonstration produced at feasibility stage of what the project is capable of and get the conversation started.

If the thing gets built and is purely a power generation plant and offers no cultural benefit, then that will be the councils fault for not being tough enough during the planning negotiations.
what's happening out in the Bay on 18:22 - Oct 8 with 1714 viewsLeonisGod

what's happening out in the Bay on 18:03 - Oct 8 by Batterseajack

The council could demand that they build sports and leisure facilities as part of a planning condition. Yes it might not end up exactly like in the video, but that video is purely a demonstration produced at feasibility stage of what the project is capable of and get the conversation started.

If the thing gets built and is purely a power generation plant and offers no cultural benefit, then that will be the councils fault for not being tough enough during the planning negotiations.

tbh, I suspect elements could become a bit of a white elephant. I could easily see a 'build it and they will come approach' for some of the ancillary activities. And then they'll be scrabbling around trying to find people to use the space. Although there's interest at this stage from various stakeholders, there's no guarantee that the various leisure or research options on the table will come to fruition (e.g. by the time it's built some operators may have stopped trading or shifted their priorities).

But you're right. The planning conditions will be key. Ans it most certainly won't look like the various artists impressions. Lagoons can be ugly looking things close-up.
what's happening out in the Bay on 20:06 - Oct 8 with 1673 viewsScotia

what's happening out in the Bay on 18:03 - Oct 8 by Batterseajack

They can't unfortunately, neither swansea or neath - port talbot have got any say in it going ahead or not. They can only express an opinion, both have remained neutral.

The decision is made by the Secretary of state because its a significant project.

The company have suggested planning "gains" to the authorities but these
are just a benefit and not enforceable at all.
what's happening out in the Bay on 20:24 - Oct 8 with 1662 viewsGowerjack

what's happening out in the Bay on 17:13 - Oct 8 by GeoffThom

Jesus wept they probably said the same when they built the docks and the piers into them ,we have nothing to lose here it's even built around the docks side of the bay so won't disturb anyone ,if you want to complain about something to do with the bay have a look at the stupid sand dunes the dumb Eco warriors have got made by the slip and St helens which is ending up all over mumbles road and surrounding areas and eroding the sand of the beach water line exposing rock and stone they've done the same thing on some of gower's beaches Horton being the best example were the sand has gone completely and Is now in huge sand dunes that weren't there before .fecking nimbys

Marran grass was planted in the dunes to improve thier structure and to stop wind erosion.

The loss of sand at Port Eynon & Horton was caused by the inshore dredging on the Helwick Bank thankfully now ceased.

You really should engage your brain prior to typing arrant nonsense on here.
If you don't know what your're talking about it's best to say nothing.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

what's happening out in the Bay on 20:52 - Oct 8 with 1629 viewscanhecatchit

Was going to say, Geoff Thom mentioned Horton, there have always been big dunes there, now Port Eyenon maybe so. but definitely the dredging has caused the sand erosion. There was a time you could walk what seemed like miles to get to the tide, now it hardly goes out at all, due to all the sand being dredged.

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

what's happening out in the Bay on 21:11 - Oct 8 with 1616 viewsScotia

I honestly don't believe it will attract anyone to Swansea. It could destroy the bay to boot. I would love to see Swansea develop but this could be the final nail in it's coffin, we should make the most of the bay, not put it at risk.

I've fished in the bay and surfed on the Gower for over half my life, and I would love to be able to get behind this scheme.

Honestly, pretty much every positive aspect they have stressed has a massive negative possible impact from wiping out Swansea Bay lugworm to possibly worse flooding in Mumbles. If someone wants to ask some specifics then fire away!

I must say though, they have done a fabulous job on the PR. They could sell holidays to Syria!
what's happening out in the Bay on 21:35 - Oct 8 with 1595 viewsBatterseajack

I don't understand, how will it kill lugworm on the area of beach outside of the lagoon and how might it flood the mumbles?
what's happening out in the Bay on 21:36 - Oct 8 with 1594 viewsGowerjack

what's happening out in the Bay on 21:11 - Oct 8 by Scotia

I honestly don't believe it will attract anyone to Swansea. It could destroy the bay to boot. I would love to see Swansea develop but this could be the final nail in it's coffin, we should make the most of the bay, not put it at risk.

I've fished in the bay and surfed on the Gower for over half my life, and I would love to be able to get behind this scheme.

Honestly, pretty much every positive aspect they have stressed has a massive negative possible impact from wiping out Swansea Bay lugworm to possibly worse flooding in Mumbles. If someone wants to ask some specifics then fire away!

I must say though, they have done a fabulous job on the PR. They could sell holidays to Syria!

Its Gower or The Gower Peninsula never the Gower.

As I believe I may have mentioned previously.

Plastic since 1974

Login to get fewer ads

what's happening out in the Bay on 21:37 - Oct 8 with 1592 viewsBatterseajack

what's happening out in the Bay on 20:06 - Oct 8 by Scotia

They can't unfortunately, neither swansea or neath - port talbot have got any say in it going ahead or not. They can only express an opinion, both have remained neutral.

The decision is made by the Secretary of state because its a significant project.

The company have suggested planning "gains" to the authorities but these
are just a benefit and not enforceable at all.

I'd be very surprised if Swansea council didn't have a voice in the planning process.
what's happening out in the Bay on 21:41 - Oct 8 with 1586 viewsBanosswan

what's happening out in the Bay on 21:36 - Oct 8 by Gowerjack

Its Gower or The Gower Peninsula never the Gower.

As I believe I may have mentioned previously.

You should put it as your signature.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

what's happening out in the Bay on 22:22 - Oct 8 with 1571 viewsswanny

what's happening out in the Bay on 21:41 - Oct 8 by Banosswan

You should put it as your signature.

I must admit, I've only seen the PR on this scheme so I don't really know very much about the ecological impact, but the dredging thing is something that comes up frequently. I can honestly say (having lived in Mumbles/Gower all my life) I see seasonal differences in the amount of sand, but overall year on year it seems pretty much the same to me. Am I wrong? Is there statistical evidence anywhere (genuine question here - because I do notice that sometimes the sand is gone, then it re appears).
I was also under the impression from some peeps who work in the University (some wooly hatted tree hugging types - no disrespect intended, just to show that I thought they would have been coming from a point of ecological soundness) that in general the scheme was thought to be a goer with little/no impact on the environment....

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

what's happening out in the Bay on 06:24 - Oct 9 with 1505 viewsGowerjack

what's happening out in the Bay on 22:22 - Oct 8 by swanny

I must admit, I've only seen the PR on this scheme so I don't really know very much about the ecological impact, but the dredging thing is something that comes up frequently. I can honestly say (having lived in Mumbles/Gower all my life) I see seasonal differences in the amount of sand, but overall year on year it seems pretty much the same to me. Am I wrong? Is there statistical evidence anywhere (genuine question here - because I do notice that sometimes the sand is gone, then it re appears).
I was also under the impression from some peeps who work in the University (some wooly hatted tree hugging types - no disrespect intended, just to show that I thought they would have been coming from a point of ecological soundness) that in general the scheme was thought to be a goer with little/no impact on the environment....

There is seasonal change but the long term effect of the dredging was disastrous for sand levels.

They were taking massive amounts of sand from the Helwick yet when challenged stated that the bank was losing no sand ergo it had to be coming from the beach!

My local beach Mewslade is now almost back to normal but I don't believe Port Eynon and Horton will ever recover.

Plastic since 1974

what's happening out in the Bay on 08:06 - Oct 9 with 1484 viewsScotia

what's happening out in the Bay on 21:37 - Oct 8 by Batterseajack

I'd be very surprised if Swansea council didn't have a voice in the planning process.

It is suprising, but they don't. They express an opinion the same as other interested parties, but the decision is made by the Secretary of state.

Interestingly, they want it rushed through before the election so the green lib dems have a say.
what's happening out in the Bay on 08:13 - Oct 9 with 1481 viewsScotia

what's happening out in the Bay on 21:35 - Oct 8 by Batterseajack

I don't understand, how will it kill lugworm on the area of beach outside of the lagoon and how might it flood the mumbles?

Basically it will turn off the tide in the bay, so it will seriously harm invertebrates in the bay, and absolutely everything else, think of the Tawe after the barrage but on a massive scale. They are hoping to move the reef worm colonies but lugworm aren't protected so nobody is bothered.

The reflection of waves off the lagoon wall will send them straight toward mumbles. High tide and a storm and verdis won't sell much ice cream.
what's happening out in the Bay on 08:31 - Oct 9 with 1470 viewsGowerjack

what's happening out in the Bay on 08:13 - Oct 9 by Scotia

Basically it will turn off the tide in the bay, so it will seriously harm invertebrates in the bay, and absolutely everything else, think of the Tawe after the barrage but on a massive scale. They are hoping to move the reef worm colonies but lugworm aren't protected so nobody is bothered.

The reflection of waves off the lagoon wall will send them straight toward mumbles. High tide and a storm and verdis won't sell much ice cream.

Turn off the tide in the bay??

One of the highest tidal reaches in the world stopped by what is in effect an extension to the existing port.

How?

It seems to me that you have a vested interest in the failure of this project maybe it's time to come clean my friend...
[Post edited 9 Oct 2014 8:33]

Plastic since 1974

what's happening out in the Bay on 09:21 - Oct 9 with 1379 viewsScotia

what's happening out in the Bay on 08:31 - Oct 9 by Gowerjack

Turn off the tide in the bay??

One of the highest tidal reaches in the world stopped by what is in effect an extension to the existing port.

How?

It seems to me that you have a vested interest in the failure of this project maybe it's time to come clean my friend...
[Post edited 9 Oct 2014 8:33]

Sorry should probably have said the tidal flow. The tide will still come in and out, but the lagoon will capture all the anti-clockwise tidal flow which occurs for most of the tidal cycle. It will then discharge it through turbines which will point out past Mumbles Head. There will be virtually no flow in the bay itself. The effects of this are enormous.

Plus it's a bit more than an extension to the port, if you stood on Mumbles lighthouse and looked toward the power station in Baglan, the lagoon would extend to the line you're looking along. It's enourmous.

I totally don't want this to go ahead. Mainly because I really like the bay the way it is, and this is a huge experiment, which could ruin it. I don't have a vested interest apart from this. They are planning on more around the coast, if these get built and show relatively little impact then I'll get behind this one.

I've also got real issues with the way the company have gone about their PR excercise, I honestly think it's a total load of rubbish. In the last hearing I attended they claimed there would be between 45 and 50 people in full time, permanant jobs in the visitor centre! Hope they don't get bored too easily.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2014 10:31]
what's happening out in the Bay on 10:38 - Oct 9 with 1352 viewsDyfnant

For anyone in favour of this, what actual benefits do you think there will be directly for Swansea, other than around 6 (six) full time jobs?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

what's happening out in the Bay on 10:59 - Oct 9 with 1335 viewsGowerjack

what's happening out in the Bay on 10:38 - Oct 9 by Dyfnant

For anyone in favour of this, what actual benefits do you think there will be directly for Swansea, other than around 6 (six) full time jobs?

Actually the proposal allows for 60 full time jobs to run the operation excluding any related to tourist or leisure use which could be up to 90 in number.

Potential for 1000+ jobs in construction phase.

Enough renewable clean power to run 100,000+ properties.

Something new and unique to our area sited in a part of the bay that is not generally visible or used by people.

And all for what is in effect a cross between a breakwater and an extension to the existing docks.

It's no wonder that Swansea is such a s hithole judging by the attitude of some on here.

Plastic since 1974

what's happening out in the Bay on 11:39 - Oct 9 with 1311 viewsScotia

what's happening out in the Bay on 10:59 - Oct 9 by Gowerjack

Actually the proposal allows for 60 full time jobs to run the operation excluding any related to tourist or leisure use which could be up to 90 in number.

Something new and unique to our area sited in a part of the bay that is not generally visible or used by people.

And all for what is in effect a cross between a breakwater and an extension to the existing docks.

It's no wonder that Swansea is such a s hithole judging by the attitude of some on here.

About 72 jobs. 21 are operational the rest in tourism (visitor centre was specified), I heard this straight from their barrister in the hearing. The planning inspectorate were amazed at this number , questioned it and want it broken down to man hours. They are supposed to supply this by the next hearing which starts on the 21st. I just checked my notes.

The proposal for consideration doesn't allow for any jobs. It is purely for the structure. Although obviously there will be jobs in the construction phase. Interestingly they also said there would be a "fabrication workshop"locally to build the turbines for this and other lagoons. When pushed on how local he said definitely "within the UK".

It is basically a breakwater, but a breakwater deliberately built to obscure the tidal flow which makes the bay what it is. It will be very visible especially from the Port Talbot side looking toward Mumbles.

I'm not trying to be like that tool on the Anus board who pretended to be a member of the Redbirds staff. This is stuff I've worked on for a long time, and I'm concerned everyone is only hearing from the lagoon company.
what's happening out in the Bay on 11:41 - Oct 9 with 1310 viewsDyfnant

what's happening out in the Bay on 10:59 - Oct 9 by Gowerjack

If it's viable, the company have already said it'll be the first of many in the UK so it certainly won't be unique.

what's happening out in the Bay on 11:50 - Oct 9 with 1299 viewsBatterseajack

"Not in my back yard!"
what's happening out in the Bay on 11:55 - Oct 9 with 1290 viewsScotia

what's happening out in the Bay on 11:50 - Oct 9 by Batterseajack

"Not in my back yard!"

Absolutely. I like my backyard the way it is.
what's happening out in the Bay on 12:21 - Oct 9 with 1272 viewsDyfnant

what's happening out in the Bay on 11:50 - Oct 9 by Batterseajack

"Not in my back yard!"

As it's the pioneering one, I think the area it's situated should have a direct financial benefit. Not unreasonable for the company to pay 25% of the affected local authorities electricity bills for the projects lifespans!?!
As I've said previously, anyone that believes water sports will take place in the area is deluded. It'll be a genuine health & safety nightmare

what's happening out in the Bay on 13:34 - Oct 9 with 1249 viewsBatterseajack

what's happening out in the Bay on 12:21 - Oct 9 by Dyfnant

As it's the pioneering one, I think the area it's situated should have a direct financial benefit. Not unreasonable for the company to pay 25% of the affected local authorities electricity bills for the projects lifespans!?!
As I've said previously, anyone that believes water sports will take place in the area is deluded. It'll be a genuine health & safety nightmare

Not sure how watersports will be a H&S nightmare. The turbines will be submerged and out of reach and there'll probably be an exclusion zone around them on top.

I've done a fair bit of dingy sailing/racing in my day and I think this would be great. Portland harbour is very similar, and it has become a world class sailing area. As for H&S, I've raced in the menai straights which has a ridiculously fast tide and pwllheli which has huge swell. This will have hardly tiny waves and good wind which is ideal.
what's happening out in the Bay on 13:34 - Oct 9 with 1246 viewsymaohyd

what's happening out in the Bay on 12:21 - Oct 9 by Dyfnant

Well over a ten year period we will have had the development of Sa1, the new university campus and with luck the tidal lagoon. I don't believe for a second this will be passed if it is detrimental to the bay.

Instead newcomers will drive into Swansea see a fantastic new university and a tourist attraction that the tidal lagoon will surely become. Watersports, cycling, angling, etc etc, the scope for small individual businesses to invest and grow around the lagoon are huge. Possibly new hotels, which in turn may create more restaurants etc etc around SA1. It's called growing the economy.

Take Cardiff, they get the assembly, therefore around the bay scope for restaurants, hotels, etc. The city centre gets a fantastic new shopping centre, this in turn creates a huge demand for hotel rooms, restaurants etc etc The Millennium centre Wales also is part of the cycle of creating demand. Of course the Millennium Stadium is another addition to a thriving city centre.

The days of Swansea competing with Cardiff (away from the football or rugby fields) are sadly over, but why the fu*k, when we have an opportunity to grow our economy do so many wan*ers need to be negative? I don't get it, I'd assume they take pleasure in Swansea staying as an ugly not so lovely city.

If the Secretary of State decides that this project is a non goer for economic or environmental reasons then fair enough, but for fu*k sake lets all get behind something that I can only see as being beneficial to Swansea. It might be a huge benefit or minimal, but anything positive must be good for the city.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024