Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BSA Acting Chair stands down 14:29 - Jan 7 with 2792 viewsWizaard

Shame it has come to this that personal abuse between fellow fans means that a volunteer feels they can't carry on:

Statement, BSA Acting Chair Fiona Martin, Tuesday 30th December

I should point out in the very first instance, the views here are personal and do not reflect those of BSA.

“When I first joined the BSA Committee in 2008 it was because I wanted to be involved with Blackpool fans, to help out with events, to be part of social group and primarily because I am a Blackpool fan and I enjoyed it.

The last 6 years have given me some fun times, some good laughs and some great friends. And BSA have achieved some fantastic things. I am proud to have been part of that. But 2014 has been horrible on and off the pitch for Blackpool Football Club.

The vast majority of Blackpool fans are good people who want to see their team and their club be successful. But myself, and others, and have been subjected to abuse both directly and indirectly on social media, forums, at football matches and worst of all when we have been out with friends and family in public places. I have lost count of the number of times not only that it has left me upset, but also that I have been told “don’t let them get to you, they’re just bullies, don’t let them win”. Well guess what, they’ve won. I’ve had enough. I didn’t get involved with BSA to get dragged into the political shenanigans of running a football club, nor did I feel like getting abused for a volunteer position I do in my free time. What precisely is the point of something like that giving me sleepless nights, making me ill and ruining my life? There isn’t one and that is why I have resigned from the BSA committee over the Christmas period.

BFC is a soap opera. And not even a very good one. Every single Blackpool fan in the world is hurting. Karl Oyston is responsible for that. No one else. (Although if some of our fanbase are to be believed it is also the fault of a group of hard working volunteers). For me the reprehensible text messages were the final straw. How much more do our loyal fans need to go through? The club has had shame brought up on it and the fan base deserves a better outlook and a sense of pride. And all I wanted to do was enjoy my Christmas break with my family and not have to deal with another fall out from another disaster. That was the point at which I realised I was of no more use to BSA members, my heart for the job has been taken away — by the whole sorry mess and by the minority of our fanbase.

That minority of the fanbase, of course, relates to those think that abuse and threats are the way to get things done.

But that doesn’t mean that only a minority of the fanbase share the same view. As a general set of fans we are all hurting and we can all see that something has to give. Everyone except Karl Oyston can see that. Without fundamental lasting changes in the whole structure and outlook of Blackpool Football Club our period in the sun is over. Football has changed. The world has changed. But that doesn’t mean that Blackpool fans, including myself, will not continue to support our team. Most Blackpool fans are a fantastic bunch. BSA members are superb. And whether we are at Chelsea or Crawley they will want to go and support their team. And they should be allowed to do that without fear of recrimination, abuse or the state of the atmosphere. The atmosphere, especially at away games, has become toxic. I, and many others, go to away games to see my friends, have a couple of drinks and enjoy the day. Then it is about going home and forgetting about it.

I’m not going to sit here and tell other fans what to do. Everyone makes their own choices about what they believe is the right thing to do. For me that is focusing on what happens on the pitch and my friends. I don’t want to be involved in anything political. If others do that is up to them. But what I would urge Blackpool fans to do is stick together and back the team. There is more that unites us than divides us and we’re all there for the same thing.

The future may not exactly be bright but for as long as there is Blackpool Football Club, then there will be Blackpool fans. So the future will be Tangerine.”

Fiona Martin
December 2014

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 18:34 - Jan 9 with 484 viewsBigbrother

Can imagine replacing the Heads of BSA and BST is s bit like looking for the next Head of Al Qaeda - anyone else ready to be shot down in flames?!

Poll: Who is King Rat in the Oyston Family

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 18:31 - Jan 12 with 420 viewsterminallytangerine

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 18:34 - Jan 9 by Bigbrother

Can imagine replacing the Heads of BSA and BST is s bit like looking for the next Head of Al Qaeda - anyone else ready to be shot down in flames?!

It's not big!

And it's not brotherly!

Now behave!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024