Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fibre Broadband 13:34 - Apr 19 with 1467 viewsSWANZF4N

How does it work that talk talk and BT can offer me fibre but virginmedia cant??
Fibre Broadband on 15:42 - Apr 19 with 1424 viewsjedijack

I'd guess because you don't live within the Virgin fibre network.

It's all politics, if Virgin was to use BT's fibre network (which other ISP's do) then I'd assume BT would want to use Virgins fibre network (in cabled areas) in return. Never going to happen as the fibre broadband is Virgins big selling point.
Fibre Broadband on 15:58 - Apr 19 with 1405 viewsStarsky

Fibre Broadband on 15:42 - Apr 19 by jedijack

I'd guess because you don't live within the Virgin fibre network.

It's all politics, if Virgin was to use BT's fibre network (which other ISP's do) then I'd assume BT would want to use Virgins fibre network (in cabled areas) in return. Never going to happen as the fibre broadband is Virgins big selling point.

Moral fibre aye.

I like it.

It's just the internet, init.

Fibre Broadband on 21:28 - Apr 19 with 1302 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

You can always lay cable in your street, but it'll set you back about £15k. Not all areas are cabled as Virgin invested in the places that NTL (prior to Virgin) deemed more able to repay the investment placed into the cable network. It's not just houses with a potential customer base interested in the service, but the distance and amounts of cables connected to hubs and switches that operate the cable network.

Whilst distance isn't too much of an issue for fibre networks as it is with a standard phone line (ndbr), the further away the switches are, the higher the chances of over-capacity (which causes service failure and multiple errors).

So a proper fibre network from Virgin will get you much superior speeds.

BT and other companies have less work to do as the phone networks have always been there prior to BT. The network was there when it was government funded, and it still is today (21CN project).

So it's not so easy for Virgin afterall. I too am not in a cabled area, and it sucks that all my mates have 130mb connections, and the fastest I can get is 35mb. But hey-ho, that's life!

Poll: Goal 2 - scored by who?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024