Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA 07:52 - Jun 6 with 2627 viewsDaggyjack

Interesting story told by Bobby Gould last night on Talksport, saying that when he was manager of Wales, they were strangely approached by Brazil who offered Wales £50k to play them in a friendly in Brazil. Wales accepted and lost 3-0 in November 1997 in Brasilia.
A month or so on, Gould was invited to the World Cup 98 draw in France, where Brazil were paired in their first match against Scotland.
Coincidence??
Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA on 09:12 - Jun 6 with 2494 viewsChief

Brazil wanting to play us is strange I admit. But them drawing another Northern European team in the finals is not, especially ones who would always be in a different seeding pot.

So from this I think you are implying that the Brazilian FA wanted to play us as practice for playing Scotland and therefore they ahd knowledge of the draw before it had happened?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA on 09:19 - Jun 6 with 2465 viewsDaggyjack

Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA on 09:12 - Jun 6 by Chief

Brazil wanting to play us is strange I admit. But them drawing another Northern European team in the finals is not, especially ones who would always be in a different seeding pot.

So from this I think you are implying that the Brazilian FA wanted to play us as practice for playing Scotland and therefore they ahd knowledge of the draw before it had happened?

I'm only relaying the tale that Gould told last night when he Matt Holland and Dean Ashton were discussing FIFA.
When asked if he was implying anything, he replied that he wasn't but for people to come to their own conclusions.
Chances of drawing Scotland is not out of the question of course but picking to play Wales in Brazil when, with no disrespect to Wales, they could play any number of higher ranked teams in Europe is strange.
Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA on 09:59 - Jun 6 with 2410 viewsTheArtChappy

Freestone in goal for that game

The Art Chappy A.K.A Chris Chapman
Poll: should 3pm kick offs be allowed to be brocasted live

Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA on 11:04 - Jun 6 with 2328 viewsloughor_jack

Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA on 09:59 - Jun 6 by TheArtChappy

Freestone in goal for that game

Freestone played at the millennium. Also 3-0 to them.

Brazil v Wales 1997 & FIFA on 12:27 - Jun 6 with 2239 viewstautologist

Well, Pele has described his goal against Wales in the quarters of the '58 World Cup as the most important of his career. There was pressure for him to not be selected but he grabbed his first international goal and finished the tournament with 6 as Brazil won their first World Cup. It wasn't quite an anniversary but invoking memories of that game before France '98 (they smashed France 5-2 in the semis after the '58 Wales game) could have something to do with it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024