Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mazzari 16:20 - Dec 8 with 1904 viewsDavillin

[Pronounced muh-DZAH-rrri]

Walter Mazzarri (Italian pronunciation: [ˈvalter madˈdzarri]; born 1 October 1961) is an Italian former footballer and now a manager, who most recently managed Serie A club Inter until 14 November 2014.

Playing career

Mazzarri, a midfielder and a product of Fiorentina's youth system, made his professional debut in 1981 for Pescara of Serie B, and played a short Serie A stint in Cagliari the following season, before being sold to Reggiana. He had his longest period at Empoli, who won promotion to Serie A for the first time during his time with the Tuscan side. After several spells with mostly minor teams, including a two-year stint with Acireale where he was part of the team who won a historic first promotion to Serie B, and then playing in the Italian second tier in 1993—94, Mazzarri ended his playing career in 1995 with Sassari Torres.

Managerial career
Early years

Mazzarri started his coaching career as Renzo Ulivieri's assistant at Napoli in 1998. His first spell in charge came in 2001/2002 for Sicilian Serie C2 team Acireale, where he had been a player from 1992 to 1994. Subsequently, he returned to his native Tuscany to coach Pistoiese of Serie C1 in 2002/2003 and Livorno of Serie B in 2003—04, bringing the amaranto led by Cristiano Lucarelli back to Serie A. He was coach of Reggina from 2004 to 2007, leading the Calabrian side to Serie A survival in three consecutive seasons, the last obtained on the final day of the season despite an 11-point deduction.

Sampdoria

On 31 May 2007 he was announced as new Sampdoria coach.[1] He served as Sampdoria boss for two seasons, overseeing a considerable improvement in results, thanks to the likes of Antonio Cassano, who publicly praised Mazzarri's coaching abilities. Sampdoria's 2007—08 campaign ended in an impressive sixth place, which ensured qualification for the UEFA Cup. Mazzarri's fortunes declined slightly in 2008—09, as the blucerchiati ended their campaign in 13th place; despite this, he managed to guide his team into the Coppa Italia Final, notably defeating champions Inter 3—1 on aggregate in the semi-finals, before losing on penalties to Lazio in the final. Mazzarri left Sampdoria by mutual consent at the end of the 2008—09 season.

Napoli

On 6 October 2009 he was appointed manager of Napoli, replacing Roberto Donadoni.[2] Mazzarri inspired his new charges to finish his debut season in sixth place in Serie A, and was handed a new three-year contract at the end of the campaign. The 2010—11 season proved even more successful as, buoyed by the arrival from Palermo of Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani, Mazzarri's men finished third and qualified directly for the group phase of the 2011—12 UEFA Champions League. Under Mazzarri, Napoli were becoming renowned for their counter-attacking at pace, in a 3—4—3 formation in which Cavani was supported by Argentinian Ezequiel Lavezzi and Slovakian star Marek Hamšík. They finished second in their Champions League group, behind Germany's Bayern Munich and ahead of Manchester City of England, to earn a last-16 tie against another English side, Chelsea which they beat 3—1 at home in the first leg. They were subsequently beaten 4—1 at Stamford Bridge after extra time, being eliminated from the Champions League. He left the Azzurri on 19 May 2013 leading the team to a 2nd place this season.

Inter

Mazzarri was officially appointed as the Inter manager on 24 May 2013,[3] after Andrea Stramaccioni was dismissed after a poor performance in the 2012—13 season. On 2 July 2014, FC Internazionale and Mazzarri agreed to a one-year extension to the current coach’s contract keeping him at the team until 30 June 2016. He was sacked by Inter after a series of disappointing results on 14 November 2014, leaving the club in ninth place.[4][5][6][7] He parted with the club before the 12th matchday, whilst they were five points below their season objective of the third position.[8]
Managerial statistics

As of 9 November 2014

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Mazzari on 16:31 - Dec 8 with 1835 viewsThornburyswan

I'd settle for that Napoli track record @ the Lib............but the East stand boys are gonna struggle with his name!! ;-)
Mazzari on 17:14 - Dec 8 with 1712 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Mazzari on 16:31 - Dec 8 by Thornburyswan

I'd settle for that Napoli track record @ the Lib............but the East stand boys are gonna struggle with his name!! ;-)

Mazzari whoa whoa whoa whoa

(To the tune of Volare )

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Mazzari on 17:29 - Dec 8 with 1625 viewsattila_the_hun

Mazzari on 17:14 - Dec 8 by Brynmill_Jack

Mazzari whoa whoa whoa whoa

(To the tune of Volare )

we love you Walter we do, oh walter we love you

"I'm Free"

Mazzari on 17:37 - Dec 8 with 1554 viewstomdickharry

Marcelo Bielsa is even better,top coach/Manager who plays the game the right way,would open a few eyes in the football world if we had the gumption to go and get him,then perhaps we are pursuing him who knows.
Mazzari on 18:19 - Dec 8 with 1410 viewsWarwickHunt

Mazzari on 17:37 - Dec 8 by tomdickharry

Marcelo Bielsa is even better,top coach/Manager who plays the game the right way,would open a few eyes in the football world if we had the gumption to go and get him,then perhaps we are pursuing him who knows.

Jenkins would never allow it.

Bloody shame.
Mazzari on 18:25 - Dec 8 with 1378 viewsLeonisGod

Not to be confused with Maserati, which is a brand of car and has no football managerial record
Mazzari on 18:34 - Dec 8 with 1323 viewsYr_Arglwydd_Rhys

Or Materazzi, Italian for nutter
Mazzari on 01:33 - Dec 9 with 1083 viewsDavillin

Mazzari on 17:37 - Dec 8 by tomdickharry

Let's see some of his quirks:

"...he employs the very strangest of tactics."

"Marcelo Bielsa comes from an old-school era of coaches who want absolute control ..."

"...one of the strangest things about El Loco is that he doesn't change his tactics according to the personnel available."
_________

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1381408-why-marcelo-bielsa-employ-the-most-bi
_____

There's lots more. I just gave he ones that will cause the most agita.]/i]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024