Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alzheimers 00:30 - Apr 17 with 6773 viewsjoecooke

I speak to my old man most days(make sure hes not gone missing) and predominantely we talk football.

He does talk sense with regards too how we have been this season,a little bit unpradictable with regards to how we play and how we manage,which i thought was quiet insigtful at the start of the season.

Now we have started to win a bit,he is confused(easily done with a 70s supporter)

Any roads (as a total side thread),i saw the birch hill football team thread and as he played for Sudden in the late 60's -70's who according to him were dynamite!

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Alzheimers on 11:51 - Jan 21 with 1195 viewsjoecooke

Alzheimers on 09:11 - Jan 21 by judd

Sorry to hear your sad news. I hope you got to show your Dad this thread and all the names it threw up.

Thanks for your words. i did show him at the time and he knew many of the names mentioned and had played with or against many of the players mentioned and loved to chat about it.

Its sometimes overlooked how a messageboard/forum can actually be a fantastic place for spreading a bit of happiness to someone and i am pleased that it can.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Alzheimers on 11:54 - Jan 21 with 1180 viewsDaleiLama

Alzheimers on 08:03 - Jan 21 by joecooke

Unfortunately my father Steve Bonynge passed away on January 19th after a long battle with Alzheimers.

As a few people on here had commented on knowing him on this old thread i thought i would update.

He was a Rochdale lad through and through and a lifelong Dale fan who introduced myself and my brother to supporting Dale. We have some fantastic memories from going to watch Rochdale all over the country together and feel privileged to have had those experiences. The football itself varied from dire to fantastic but thats being a Dale fan and wouldnt have changed it for the world.

Sincere condolences - I lost my dad over three years ago and I still feel the loss acutely - my sympathies are with you and your family. I can tell from your post he was a good dad. RIP.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Alzheimers on 12:53 - Jan 21 with 1114 views1949er

Alzheimers on 00:59 - Apr 17 by joecooke

If anyone could add to who was the best amatuer football team in the late 60/70s in Rochdale that would create more conversation.

Brights

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Alzheimers on 16:35 - Jan 21 with 1001 viewsdavidab2202

Alzheimers on 11:55 - Apr 17 by DiddyDave

Yes,Graham Wood was a top player,I`d long since forgotten about him playing for Hamer Youth Club. I think he went to Greenbank and had a couple of brothers. I honestly can`t remember that Cup Final at Spotland though I know I would`ve been there as they were all the kids I knocked about with at that time. That must`ve been about 1964,who did they play Ming?

Graham is my cousin, certainly a much better player than I could have ever hoped to be.
Lives up in the Lake District now and just says his knees are not what they used to be !!!!
Alzheimers on 18:31 - Jan 21 with 942 viewsArthurDaley

I did my bit for Sacred Heart, 3rd team. Until one day i turned up for a game only to be told i had been swopped for a certain Chris Shyne who played for a team in Syke.
See Pete Coad every now and then. Sunday afternoon in Heybrook school yard, with Pete, Bryn Schofield ( did well in the armature semi pro league) and Diddy Dave.
Played for a few local teams, until i got to fond of Wilsons bitter .

Any one remember a player called Graham Goodhew, think he was a good player in his day, who died a couple of weeks ago ?

A large VAT Dave

Alzheimers on 18:37 - Jan 21 with 916 viewsjudd

Alzheimers on 10:41 - Apr 17 by DiddyDave

I went to school with Platty,knew Pete Coad,Bunny Harvey,Stu Hartley,Ian Sheppard,Johnny Taylor,Barry Bradbury and Chris Shyne,bless him,all very well. Yes,I could go on all day too!! Johnny Moore was the Jim Baxter of Rochdale Amateur football if you could say that. All those lads would`ve had trials around the north,but such was the competition,they were lucky to get twenty minutes here,thirty minutes there. Paul Crossley and Steve Melledew were the only ones I can recall who made professional,though John Simpson`s brother,Charlie,briefly made it for Rochdale. Some of those Cup Finals were absolute belters,marvellous footballers,marvellous memories.

If you're catching up with this thread, sadly John Simpson passed away recently. His funeral was last Friday and his cortege was allowed a well-attended procession through Mayfield.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Alzheimers on 18:38 - Jan 21 with 919 viewsseasidedale

Used to play with a couple of sacred hearts player on cronkeshaw common on Sunday afternoons in the early mid 70’s. Playing 10 half time 20 up, anyone who wanted to play could ended up with 15 a side sometimes , happy days
Alzheimers on 19:57 - Jan 21 with 837 viewsnordenblue

Alzheimers on 18:37 - Jan 21 by judd

If you're catching up with this thread, sadly John Simpson passed away recently. His funeral was last Friday and his cortege was allowed a well-attended procession through Mayfield.

Sad news,believe its the same chap. I used to work with both his lads Ben and Dunc for a good while, top lads and both played at Mayfield too I believe.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 19:58]
Login to get fewer ads

Alzheimers on 20:00 - Jan 21 with 834 viewsTVOS1907

Alzheimers on 08:03 - Jan 21 by joecooke

Unfortunately my father Steve Bonynge passed away on January 19th after a long battle with Alzheimers.

As a few people on here had commented on knowing him on this old thread i thought i would update.

He was a Rochdale lad through and through and a lifelong Dale fan who introduced myself and my brother to supporting Dale. We have some fantastic memories from going to watch Rochdale all over the country together and feel privileged to have had those experiences. The football itself varied from dire to fantastic but thats being a Dale fan and wouldnt have changed it for the world.

I've got a few pictures with who I think is your dad on them. They're of him and some other supporters doing ground improvement works at Spotland in the late-1970s/early-1980s.

If you send me a PM, I'll arrange to email them over to you.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Alzheimers on 20:17 - Jan 21 with 809 viewsjudd

Alzheimers on 19:57 - Jan 21 by nordenblue

Sad news,believe its the same chap. I used to work with both his lads Ben and Dunc for a good while, top lads and both played at Mayfield too I believe.

That's him. Lads are top blokes.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Alzheimers on 20:48 - Jan 21 with 799 viewsmingthemerciless

Alzheimers on 18:31 - Jan 21 by ArthurDaley

I did my bit for Sacred Heart, 3rd team. Until one day i turned up for a game only to be told i had been swopped for a certain Chris Shyne who played for a team in Syke.
See Pete Coad every now and then. Sunday afternoon in Heybrook school yard, with Pete, Bryn Schofield ( did well in the armature semi pro league) and Diddy Dave.

Any one remember a player called Graham Goodhew, think he was a good player in his day, who died a couple of weeks ago ?

I think Graham Goodhew played for Turners at one time, I pretty sure he worked there.

John Simpson played football for Broadwater youth club back in my day, he was decent footballer but size wise he was built for rugby league. I played against him quite often.

Chris Shyne saved a penalty off me in one game, it was really icy and I though " He's got no chance here, I'll just put it in the corner and he won't be able to move ". I made the fatal mistake of changing my mind about which corner on the approach to the ball and it ended up an easy save. I saw him many times afterwards in various record shops, he was a big Northern Soul fan, and he never let me forget that pen. Another one who died too young, he was a lovely bloke with no edge at all.

My condolences regarding your loss Joe Cooke, I knew your Dad from around town, we'd be about the same age.
Alzheimers on 20:56 - Jan 21 with 790 viewsmingthemerciless

Alzheimers on 16:35 - Jan 21 by davidab2202

Graham is my cousin, certainly a much better player than I could have ever hoped to be.
Lives up in the Lake District now and just says his knees are not what they used to be !!!!

Pete Coad was a good pal of mine and I remember him talking about the lads in the team he was playing for. He told me how good a player Graham was. This was before I'd seen him play. When I first saw Graham run out I thought " He doesn't look like much of a player ". He was tall and a bit stooped with those Buddy Holly glasses. Of course as soon as he got on the ball I could see what Pete was talking about. He was a very cultured player with bags of time on the ball and a great left foot. He wasn't an aggressive player but he could look after himself if need be.
He reminded me a bit of the old time Dale player - Joe Ashworth.
Alzheimers on 23:06 - Jan 21 with 715 viewsalderleydale

Alzheimers on 18:31 - Jan 21 by ArthurDaley

Had a message from my sister a couple of weeks ago letting me know Goody has passed away.

Drank in the Spotland reform Club for years

Big Everton fan and as you say great player. and a fantastic guy.
Alzheimers on 04:11 - Jan 22 with 652 viewsDiddyDave

Alzheimers on 19:57 - Jan 21 by nordenblue

Yes,really sad to hear about Simmy,who could ever forget his sense of humour and his growly laugh. Saw him captain Sudden SC Reserves to a Cup Final win on Turners ground early seventies. Those who knew him will remember his slightly portly size ahem,I remember we played cricket on Springy Park (I think) one Saturday afternoon,the ball hit him everywhere except his bat and he had to go off. We were only chasing about 110 to win,but at just over 100/9 he had to go back in and he poked a run here,prodded another run there and won us the game. The look on his face,you`d have thought he`d won the Ashes. Great fella and a good mate. RIP Simmy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024