Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale's first Black player 11:44 - Jan 12 with 8768 viewsdg1937

Hi, I'm doing some research into the first Black footballers at various league clubs. I believe Rochdale's first was Tony Collins in 1959/60. Does anyone disagree with that?

Of course he went on to be manager, probably the first Black manager in the football league, and took you to the League Cup Final.

Do any older supporters have memories of him either as a player or manager? Did anyone on here actually meet him and, if so, what was he like?

Some of you may know a book was recently published about him, how the game has changed since his playing days!

Thanks.
Rochdale's first Black player on 11:07 - Jan 3 with 1291 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Rochdale's first Black player on 00:27 - Jan 3 by dg1937

I've just received a photo from Bermuda of your first black player, Calvin Symonds, hopefully this link will work:

https://footballs-black-pioneers.com/about/calvin-symonds-best-wishes-for-2021/

Lovely to see him still going strong at 88.

Thanks for posting this link.....appreciated.

The lad looks in really good shape for 88....is he free a week on Tuesday, we need some players fit to play Charlton?
Rochdale's first Black player on 15:36 - Jan 3 with 1188 viewsboromat

Rochdale's first Black player on 00:27 - Jan 3 by dg1937

I've just received a photo from Bermuda of your first black player, Calvin Symonds, hopefully this link will work:

https://footballs-black-pioneers.com/about/calvin-symonds-best-wishes-for-2021/

Lovely to see him still going strong at 88.

Great piece thanks for posting 👍

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Rochdale's first Black player on 16:33 - Jan 3 with 1147 viewsncfc_chalky

Fascinating read,I didn't know that black players had been a part of English football so far back

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Rochdale's first Black player on 20:09 - Jan 3 with 1077 viewsdg1937

Rochdale's first Black player on 11:07 - Jan 3 by Yorkshire_Dale

Thanks for posting this link.....appreciated.

The lad looks in really good shape for 88....is he free a week on Tuesday, we need some players fit to play Charlton?

I'll ask him!!
Rochdale's first Black player on 22:18 - Jan 3 with 1026 viewsdg1937

Rochdale's first Black player on 16:33 - Jan 3 by ncfc_chalky

Fascinating read,I didn't know that black players had been a part of English football so far back

You aren't alone in that. In fact the first black professional footballer was Arthur Wharton who played FA Cup games for Preston North End in 1886 and there has been at least one black player in the Football League every decade since then.
Rochdale's first Black player on 14:54 - Mar 29 with 771 viewsdg1937

Calvin Symonds, Rochdale's first black player is 89 today and looking very trim wnen I saw him on a Bermuda TV show a couple of nights ago! https://footballs-black-pioneers.com/about/calvin-symonds-is-89/
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024