Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stocks and Shares ISA 20:17 - Feb 8 with 14008 viewscackinthesackjack

After becoming frustrated with a measly 1% interest on my savings i'm researching investing in a stocks and shares ISA. I've opened one with Hargreaves & Landsdown and am looking into some sort of managed fund. I'm looking at a long term investment that will (hopefully) give me a greater return on my investment. Are there any posters on here who dabble in investments that could offer some advice?

Thanks in advance

Poll: To replace or not to replace Garry Monk?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 11:23 - Feb 9 with 2897 viewssiralan

My portfolio (all self selecting) consists of blue chip FTSE100s dividend return around 3.9% slightly low considering RDSB gives 6.6%. I am in for the long term 10years plus and do not sell anything,luckily really since bought Anglo American at around today's price 3 or 4 years back before its fall only for it to rise around 400% in the last year,would have been easy to sell when in free fall.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 11:29 - Feb 9 with 2889 viewsWingstandwood

Stocks and Shares ISA on 11:08 - Feb 9 by Pegojack

An alternative to buying funds and forking out money to fund managers is to have a self select share ISA.

I've had one for many years with stockbrokers Pilling & Co, and it forms the core of my retirement plans. In this kind of ISA, YOU take all the decisions, i.e. what to buy (and sell) and when. The stockbroker is execution only, i.e. they do your bidding without any advice or comment.

I'd recommend this for people who are starting out on the investment trail and want some serious, hands on involvement, though obviously do it cautiously at first. Start with small sums of money and never over stretch yourself. Do plenty of research and learn how the market works. If you're young, you can start this as a hobby in conjunction with whatever regular pension you're paying into.

I've built up a strong portfolio over the years, mostly 'blue chip' stocks like BP, Diageo, GSK, but also one or two smaller 'below the radar' companies. The portfolio is currently yielding about 4% annually in divis (which are all re-invested) and the capital growth is standing at about 50%.

Aside from the trading commissions, the only fee is £140 annually, taken by Pilling from your cash pot. As your investments and divis increase, this fee becomes inconsequential.

Great fun and it can become addictive!

£140.00 a year that is absolutely brill!

Argus!

Stocks and Shares ISA on 12:32 - Feb 9 with 2842 viewsmonmouth

An alternative to buying funds and forking out money to fund managers is to have a self select share ISA.

I've had one for many years with stockbrokers Pilling & Co, and it forms the core of my retirement plans. In this kind of ISA, YOU take all the decisions, i.e. what to buy (and sell) and when. The stockbroker is execution only, i.e. they do your bidding without any advice or comment.

I'd recommend this for people who are starting out on the investment trail and want some serious, hands on involvement, though obviously do it cautiously at first. Start with small sums of money and never over stretch yourself. Do plenty of research and learn how the market works. If you're young, you can start this as a hobby in conjunction with whatever regular pension you're paying into.

I've built up a strong portfolio over the years, mostly 'blue chip' stocks like BP, Diageo, GSK, but also one or two smaller 'below the radar' companies. The portfolio is currently yielding about 4% annually in divis (which are all re-invested) and the capital growth is standing at about 50%.

Aside from the trading commissions, the only fee is £140 annually, taken by Pilling from your cash pot. As your investments and divis increase, this fee becomes inconsequential.

Now that there is a tax free allowance of £5000 for dividends though, at say an average of 3.5% dividend, unless you have a big pot, you might as well just manage it yourself through a share dealing facility and save yourself the fee? Or am I missing something?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Stocks and Shares ISA on 12:39 - Feb 9 with 2824 viewsmonmouth

Stocks and Shares ISA on 09:01 - Feb 9 by siralan

Legal & general ftse100 tracker 0.06% only available through Hargreaves & Lansdown

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results

Paying over 0.5 % for a tracker is madness.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 9:15]

That's the ongoing fund charge though. Same as Fidelity. There is also a service charge. Fidelity is 0.35% bringing it to 0.41%. There's a cap too, obviously.

Stocks and Shares ISA on 12:58 - Feb 9 with 2799 viewsPegojack

Stocks and Shares ISA on 12:32 - Feb 9 by monmouth

Now that there is a tax free allowance of £5000 for dividends though, at say an average of 3.5% dividend, unless you have a big pot, you might as well just manage it yourself through a share dealing facility and save yourself the fee? Or am I missing something?

Fair point, Mon.

However, there's also a capital gains tax benefit from being in the ISA, and the fact that, once the money's in, it's in - you will have benefitted from that year's allowance, but you can never get the benefit back once the year has passed and you didn't take advantage of it. Might all seem a bit esoteric, but the older you get, the more important it gets! That's why I said, start young if you can.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 13:04]
Stocks and Shares ISA on 13:26 - Feb 9 with 2766 viewsClinton

I did this for many years with another online broker. I am pretty pleased with the results. It really helps you see how things work in the big bad world of investments.
The trouble is the ongoing monitoring; you can miss problems if you dont keep an eye on it.
Over the years I've found the Telegraph's 'Questor' a pretty good source of information, but that paper started putting Questor in their 'premium' content recently which is a shame.

With the objective of spending less time monitoring investments, Im tending to gradually sell individual stocks and reinvesting within the self select ISA in Investment Trusts (Examples of Investment Trusts are Alliance Trust and Witan Investment Trust, there are many others). You can buy and sell an Investment Trust just like any individual stock and you can see what there top holdings are reasonably easily.

OK so the Investment Trust managers charge a fee for management, but the charges/fees are published.
It'll be interesting to see how the new approach works. Pretty steady at the moment, although Im fearing a market crash any moment; the markets seem overvalued on many rational measures.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Stocks and Shares ISA on 13:32 - Feb 9 with 2755 viewsmonmouth

Stocks and Shares ISA on 12:58 - Feb 9 by Pegojack

Fair point, Mon.

However, there's also a capital gains tax benefit from being in the ISA, and the fact that, once the money's in, it's in - you will have benefitted from that year's allowance, but you can never get the benefit back once the year has passed and you didn't take advantage of it. Might all seem a bit esoteric, but the older you get, the more important it gets! That's why I said, start young if you can.

Ah yes, indeed. Actually forgot about CGT! Particularly dull seeing as that's the main reason for the ISA...
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 13:33]

Stocks and Shares ISA on 13:45 - Feb 9 with 2726 viewsClinton

Stocks and Shares ISA on 12:58 - Feb 9 by Pegojack

Fair point, Mon.

Makes filling out the Tax Return easier too in the Capital Gains section.
If Stocks are outside the ISA, you are supposed to declare disposals on the Tax Form if your disposals have gone over a particular theshold. Even if there's no tax payable. Its not difficult to exceed the threshold even with a moderate amount of trading.
Stocks inside the ISA: peace of mind, no need to mention disposals and calculate gains or losses.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Login to get fewer ads

Stocks and Shares ISA on 13:54 - Feb 9 with 2719 viewsBarrySwan

I've done a little research on your behalf this afternoon after considering your request for advice and managed to come up with a little option with a potential for very quick tax free return that you may not have considered.

In consultation with an old Polish fighter pilot and another gentleman who as memory serves seems to have never needed the restraints of a regular job and has a recognised daily history of researching these matters in the office around the corner from where I live, we have between us come up with the following recommendation..

Chelmsford City 17.50 CELTIC ARTISAN

I should point out that none of us are FSA registered nor regulated and the ultimate responsibility for your investment decision lies with yourself.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 14:05 - Feb 9 with 2706 viewsSTID2017

Stocks and Shares ISA on 20:24 - Feb 8 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Nationwide has an account where you can keep £2500 with 5% interest for a year.

A Halifax Vantage account lets you keep up to £15,000 at 3% interest.

You can keep up to £12,000 in Tesco at 3% interest.

I'm sure Lisa will let me know if I am wrong, however you do not pay tax on interest up to £1000 if you your tax rate is up to 20% and £500 at 40%, so ISA's are not the fantastic option they were a while ago.

Tesco is £6000 per person (2 x current accounts, up to £3k in each)
As for the rest, depends how much you want to invest and if you are a taxpayer.
For example, lots of accounts where you can keep small amounts of money (Lloyds up to 4% on £5k max, providing you meet the pay in criteria for example. Basically requires to have a S/O paying minimum amount in every month, then a few days later pay it back out, plus set up a couple of your DD's - Club Lloyds also gives small benefits such as 6 x Vue Cinema tickets every year )
Unless you can afford to lose your money, totally avoid Stocks and Shares Isa's etc.
Hargreaves sounds great offering 8% I believe, but as you can end up with less than you started with, not worth the risk IMHO.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 15:47 - Feb 9 with 2635 viewssherpajacob

Stocks and Shares ISA on 13:54 - Feb 9 by BarrySwan

I've done a little research on your behalf this afternoon after considering your request for advice and managed to come up with a little option with a potential for very quick tax free return that you may not have considered.

In consultation with an old Polish fighter pilot and another gentleman who as memory serves seems to have never needed the restraints of a regular job and has a recognised daily history of researching these matters in the office around the corner from where I live, we have between us come up with the following recommendation..

Chelmsford City 17.50 CELTIC ARTISAN

I should point out that none of us are FSA registered nor regulated and the ultimate responsibility for your investment decision lies with yourself.

"I should point out that none of us are FSA registered nor regulated"

Speak for yourself.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:11 - Feb 9 with 2531 viewsBarrySwan

Stocks and Shares ISA on 15:47 - Feb 9 by sherpajacob

"I should point out that none of us are FSA registered nor regulated"

Speak for yourself.

Sorry about that, I know for a fact that the old Polish fighter pilot isn't and neither am I.

I hadn't realised that you were the old trampy bloke in William Hills that was the third person in the conversation that I was referring to in my disclaimer.

Maybe I should have asked at the time if you were registered or not?

As Celtic Artisan won at 11/8 perhaps you can add it to your resume as one of the best pieces of financial advice that you've given out.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 15:01 - May 5 with 2175 viewsHaydad

I'm tempted to try this http://bit.do/Footyindex. It's buying virtual shares in real life players and either cashing out on their future performance or getting dividends and building up the portfolio. They have adverts on ITV, Sky & on Bet On Brazil this month and with that coverage I can only see their value growing. Also it is RISK FREE for 7 days
Stocks and Shares ISA on 19:11 - May 5 with 2097 viewsSTID2017

Some important considerations that make ISA worthwhile:
Any interest is tax free
Any and all amounts in ISAs' are excluded from any calculation for benefits or tax calculations where your savings are taken into account
Any investment in ISA's can be left to your spouse ( not a partner) if you die and they are allowed to keep the tax breaks that go with it
It can not be touched when it comes to calculating whether you need to pay for health care in old age
If interest ratescgo up funds already invested can continue to be invested, where as you cannot put funds in for past years you have missed or withdrawn from

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:39 - May 5 with 2051 viewsjazzswan

Long term it property overt 30 years that's the way to do it, goood times were had in 80/90 with Isa and Inflation. Not happening near future best investment property.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 08:46 - May 6 with 2010 viewscackinthesackjack

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:39 - May 5 by jazzswan

Long term it property overt 30 years that's the way to do it, goood times were had in 80/90 with Isa and Inflation. Not happening near future best investment property.

Bad tenants, repairs and to volume of hassle you get with property does put a lot of people off.

Poll: To replace or not to replace Garry Monk?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 11:38 - May 6 with 1982 viewswhaleoilbeefhooked

Was seriously thinking about this, as I rent out a small studio flat,but with increasing government interference towards landlords, plus all the hassle, this scheme seems worth considering.
A couple of my mates have sold up their properties in Cardiff, sorry Scumdiff, and gone into a similar scheme, based around crowdfunding backed by the FSA.
( As advertised on Planet Swans )
http://propertybond.investmentopportunities.co.uk/uk-property-bond.html?gclid=CK
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024