Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Thompson - good enough? 12:09 - Feb 14 with 5617 viewsgeraldo

I will no doubt upset some people with this post, but for all his bravery in beating cancer,
I don't think he warrants a place either in the team or on the bench.

He came on as a sub last night at a crucial point in the game even though Rathbone and McGahey were on the bench.

I don't think he offers anything apart from aimless running.We all know that KH has a soft spot for him but there is no room for sympathy in our current perilous position.
Irrespective of how the game is going I think KH will give him some game time on Sunday

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:13 - Feb 14 with 4628 viewsDaleFan7

You probably will get some stick for it but I agree. He isn't good enough or offer enough as a footballer to warrant game time. Hill has always been loyal to him for whatever reason.

Keeping him in some capacity as a non-player probably makes sense as he does seem like a professional guy and is certainly inspirational with what he's overcome away from football.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:15 - Feb 14 with 4617 viewsKenBoon

When I've seen him he's been good. Give the lad time to get to peak fitness too. I'm sure Hill will make a fair decision in the summer. In the meantime the squad is hardly bursting at the seams.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:15 - Feb 14 with 4610 viewsBartRowou

He needs to start to be effective. Last season, he was instrumental in all those victories because he allowed other players to bomb forward while he did the less glamorous side of things. I would only bring him on as sub to shore up a win or draw, not to chase one.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Joe Thompson - good enough? (n/t) on 12:16 - Feb 14 with 4606 viewsgeraldo

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:15 - Feb 14 by KenBoon

When I've seen him he's been good. Give the lad time to get to peak fitness too. I'm sure Hill will make a fair decision in the summer. In the meantime the squad is hardly bursting at the seams.

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:18 - Feb 14 with 4594 viewsgeraldo

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:15 - Feb 14 by KenBoon

Why should we wait for him to get to full fitness when we have better players who are already match fit??
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:22 - Feb 14 with 4572 viewsBazzanne

Lets be fair, he's not the only one not good enough in this squad.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:38 - Feb 14 with 4496 viewsfrenzied

Of what ive seen of Joe id keep him in the squad..for me hes good enough to play in this team
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:39 - Feb 14 with 4487 viewsKenBoon

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:18 - Feb 14 by geraldo

Why should we wait for him to get to full fitness when we have better players who are already match fit??

That's a decision for the manager. From what I've seen he's been pretty good in a team that are not and his fitness has been good but you need match time to peak. His 20 minutes last night were his first in a while.
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 13:22 - Feb 14 with 4394 viewsBlueDales

He's clearly a great character to have in the squad, regardless of how he plays. Give him more time, I say.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 13:26 - Feb 14 with 4373 viewsJimmyRustler

Nowhere near good enough - you only need to look at where he's been fired off recently to realise this. I understand why we've kept him on in light of the stuff that's happened and he's a great credit to himself for the fighting spirit he's shown in his personal life but he should be released in the Summer if we're going on a purely footballing basis. What's the likelihood of that happening with KH, who knows?
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 13:49 - Feb 14 with 4286 viewsD_Alien

I agree that KH will almost certainly give him some game time on Sunday, and tbh I'd welcome that too. A Dale fixture with so much attention focused on it simply hasn't happened in my lifetime; not Coventry, not Leeds/Sheff Wed/Wolves, not promotion, not the nascent League Cup Final

JT is a genuine good news story, it's up to him to demonstrate whether he's good enough, and KH can bring out what other clubs have failed to do. I have my doubts, but I'll give him the benefit for now. His most recent appearances have been no worse than several others in the squad

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 14:25 - Feb 14 with 4184 viewsShun

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 12:15 - Feb 14 by BartRowou

He needs to start to be effective. Last season, he was instrumental in all those victories because he allowed other players to bomb forward while he did the less glamorous side of things. I would only bring him on as sub to shore up a win or draw, not to chase one.

Spot on. He's basically the opposite player to Inman despite playing in similar positions. Last season was probably his best spell at the club and he was so influential in our good form because he allowed Bunney to fly forwards safe in the knowledge that JT would be doing a good job covering. Like you say, I think he's a wasted sub if we bring him on when we're chasing a win, but if we're holding on to one he's a good choice.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 14:57 - Feb 14 with 4091 viewsNorthernDale

I admire the way that Joe Thompson as overcome cancer not once, but twice, but he as never been anything but a bog standard league two player and for Keith to pick him for the squad and then use as a sub is not down to a good footballing decision, it is down sentimental reasons and managers should only do that when it is a symbolic action.

For example if he comes on as sub in Sundays FA cup game, it would highlight the fight against cancer many men and women face, it would highlight in a positive manner Thompson's own fight to overcome cancer and highlight the support he as been given by the Club and crucially the fans.

However it as too be said, he is not a league 1 player and he should be a squad player and used in the pointless check a trade or whatever it is called Cup games. Having said all that he is still better then Reece Brown.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 15:00]
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 15:22 - Feb 14 with 4035 viewsgeraldo

Just looked at player ratings for last night and it confirms my view
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 15:46 - Feb 14 with 3976 views49thseason

There is a Bambi-esque quality about JT, he always flatters to deceive but you could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of games he has won for the team. Its almost as if he is far too nice a person to be a professional footballer. One might imagine that by now he would have figured out that sometimes you have to make a professional foul for the sake of the team, but not Joe, he will do everything the manager asks him to but somehow he is never quite first to the ball, never quite clatters an opponent, never quite in the ideal position to score a goal. As a squad makeweight, he is probably the equivalent of RNL last year. As a first-team regular or impact from the bench player, not good enough.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 15:50 - Feb 14 with 3961 viewsboromat

Joe Thompson for me divides opinion because he looks like he should be a very exciting attacking midfielder/winger. In actual fact he's a very dependable solid performing player that knows how to manage games and keep to task and shape. And that for me is why he's a great squad player. For me when fully fit he plays against the more difficult opponents.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 16:13 - Feb 14 with 3910 viewsShun

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 15:22 - Feb 14 by geraldo

Just looked at player ratings for last night and it confirms my view

I wouldn't pay much attention to them. I suspect there's more than a little hyperbole that goes into those ratings.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 18:11 - Feb 14 with 3683 viewshammerdale

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 13:49 - Feb 14 by D_Alien

I agree that KH will almost certainly give him some game time on Sunday, and tbh I'd welcome that too. A Dale fixture with so much attention focused on it simply hasn't happened in my lifetime; not Coventry, not Leeds/Sheff Wed/Wolves, not promotion, not the nascent League Cup Final

JT is a genuine good news story, it's up to him to demonstrate whether he's good enough, and KH can bring out what other clubs have failed to do. I have my doubts, but I'll give him the benefit for now. His most recent appearances have been no worse than several others in the squad

Were you around in 1962? It was big news Dale getting to the League Cup Final..m.e.n.did a special newspaper on the event.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 18:57 - Feb 14 with 3585 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

What a rotten, lousy thread!

This seasons relegation is not because of one player who has played about 2 hours football all season!

There is a list of players who have been shite, week in, week out, players who cant get themselves anywhere near fit, players not signing contracts and being disruptive that don't get a thread all to themselves.

I thought the idiots who ran on the pitch at the end of the Millwall game were as low as we got, Jesus Wept what an all time low this is!

Dale fans used to have some class!!!!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 19:02 - Feb 14 with 3562 viewsD_Alien

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 18:11 - Feb 14 by hammerdale

Were you around in 1962? It was big news Dale getting to the League Cup Final..m.e.n.did a special newspaper on the event.

Yep, I was around, though hadn't yet been up to Spotland. I was aware there were big games (for Dale) taking place, but I'd say the attention generated in national newspapers and on major sport websites trumps the MEN, even if not just for footballing reasons

The games (semifinal & final) at Spotland didn't sell out as soon as tickets went on sale either. In fact, were these fixtures ticketed?

No problem if you think the pre-Wembley LCF, when not all of the big teams took part, was a bigger event, it's not a scientific analysis

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 19:23 - Feb 14 with 3476 viewsdalenumber2

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 18:57 - Feb 14 by SteTsGoldenBoot

This seasons relegation is not because of one player who has played about 2 hours football all season!

There is a list of players who have been shite, week in, week out, players who cant get themselves anywhere near fit, players not signing contracts and being disruptive that don't get a thread all to themselves.

I thought the idiots who ran on the pitch at the end of the Millwall game were as low as we got, Jesus Wept what an all time low this is!

I agree - if he's not good enough then he's not the only one! Why dedicate a thread to one player who hasn't featured much?
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 19:32 - Feb 14 with 3447 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 19:23 - Feb 14 by dalenumber2

I agree - if he's not good enough then he's not the only one! Why dedicate a thread to one player who hasn't featured much?

Its the law that we have to have this JT thread every six months!

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 20:49 - Feb 14 with 3314 viewsnordenblue

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 19:32 - Feb 14 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Its the law that we have to have this JT thread every six months!

I personally wouldn't have a problem if and when the time comes the club creates a job as an ambassador or similar and keep him at the club in some capacity regardless of his playing ability.

Somethings in life are far bigger than football I'm afraid, and I've no problem at all in saying he deserves all the luck in the world and more, if that means the club take care of him in some way in an employed role then so be it.
Joe Thompson - good enough? on 22:37 - Feb 14 with 3143 viewskiwidale

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 18:57 - Feb 14 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Spot on Ste its an awful pointless and unnecessary thread. The tread author and those who have commented negatively about Joe Thompson need to have a word with themselves.

This is not the time for bickering.

Joe Thompson - good enough? on 23:45 - Feb 14 with 3030 viewsDaley_Lama

Ii very much hope to see Joey T on the pitch on Sunday.

The other two subs can be tactical.

Poll: DF in or out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024