Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keith Hill - The Good Times 20:26 - Mar 4 with 7411 viewsSwissdale

So he’s gone. Regardless if you think it’s the right decision or not, he leaves as without doubt the most successful manager in the club’s history.

I thought I’d start a thread for people to share their top 3’s of his tenure — Players, Games & Goals. For me…

PLAYERS:
1- Craig Dawson — Probably the best player we’ve ever had.
2- Scott Hogan — In my opinion the pick of the strikers that went on to better things. Exciting to watch and by far the most profitable.
3- Ian Henderson — Consistently brilliant for us - and will hopefully finish his career with us as the all-time top scorer.
GAMES:
1- Dale 2 Spurs 2 — Fantastic game, brilliant drama, late goal and we actually put in a great performance when the world was watching.
2- Dale 2 Darlo 1 — What’s not to love about winning our first ever playoff match on penalties?
3- Dale 2 Leeds 0 — A well deserved win against former European cup winners in front of a full Spotland. Two great goals to boot!
GOALS:
1- Steven Davies v Spurs — Justice, Lateness, Cup Magic, Spotland Erupting into pandemonium.
2- Perkins v Darlington — A great goal (even if it was deflected), incredibly important and saved our playoffs.
3- Thompson v Charlton — The story of Joe, keeping us up on the last day — just wow.

10 years is such a long time, and I’m sure we’ll all be talking for the rest of our lives about the players and moments on this thread.

Thank you for the memories Keith.
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 20:35 - Mar 4 with 4748 viewsD_Alien

Can't argue with any of those choices

If there was one game that foretold what lay ahead, it has to be the 2-7 at Stockport. Such feats by Dale were unheard of, yet it wasn't a fluke

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 20:53 - Mar 4 with 4655 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The battering of Rotherham 4-0 in the first promotion season. O’Grady doing the feigning one way and going the other to their full-back for what seemed like the twenty seventh time and him falling for it again. You almost wanted someone to put the poor blighter down to stop his agony. It was footballing a team to death, it was very special. How that team didn’t go up as champions is beyond me. For 3/4 of a season they were, all things being equal, as good as I’ve ever seen.
Closely followed by Hendo’s volley v Leeds, who we also footballed to death. I remember proudly posting at the time how only one team played football whilst the other merely resorted to launching it to that carthorse Matt Smith.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 20:58 - Mar 4 with 4609 viewsfrenzied

To be honest cant remember the final score but we won at Accrington

Dreadful weather...Higginbottom from the half way line..awful traffic congestion..Hilly on the pitch at the end saluting the Daleys!
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:01 - Mar 4 with 4581 viewssweetcorn

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 20:58 - Mar 4 by frenzied

Dreadful weather...Higginbottom from the half way line..awful traffic congestion..Hilly on the pitch at the end saluting the Daleys!

4-2 after being 2-0 down and i think down to 10 men. Remember thinking at 2-0 down, it pissing down, wtf am i doing here..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:02 - Mar 4 with 4567 viewsScunnydale

Can't argue with any of the OP's choices.

As for goals, an honourable mention has to go to Hendo v Cheltenham. Weird ping-pong on the edge of their box falls to Hendo in space on the left. Control. Chip. Goal. If memory serves, it was very late on too.
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:03 - Mar 4 with 4559 viewsjudd

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:01 - Mar 4 by sweetcorn

4-2 after being 2-0 down and i think down to 10 men. Remember thinking at 2-0 down, it pissing down, wtf am i doing here..

I fookin walked it there and floated back

Poll: What is it to be then?

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:09 - Mar 4 with 4511 viewsdale4ever

2-0 away at Southampton.
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:11 - Mar 4 with 4483 viewsdingdangblue

3-0 at Bradford sticks in the mind. The night we went top of the league and stayed there for the next 4 months! Unheard of in my Dale lifetime. We absolutely footballed them to death and honestly it could have been 10. The journey home listening to local radio and all the plaudits made a very good night even prouder.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:12 - Mar 4 with 4477 viewsMolly

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:03 - Mar 4 by judd

I fookin walked it there and floated back

The after match celebrations were something else. 1000 plus Dalies singing to the team and Hill. Championes Championes ole ole ole for over 10 minutes. Wonderful memories.
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:14 - Mar 4 with 4460 viewssweetcorn

Beating Huddersfield 3-0 during his first stint is a game which i always remember fondly, first time i’d dared to think we might have a team capable of mounting a league one promotion challenge and confirming beating southampton 2-0 earlier that month was no fluke.

We got pumped most of the game after a lucky opener, then jean-louis scored a worldie of a solo goal to seal the points.

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:17 - Mar 4 with 4421 viewsjudd

Beating both Sheffield.clubs at home and listening to their fans whinging. Preston 3:0 When they missed a penalty.

The fans, management, good directors and players at the end of season awards nights with a proper MC in Iain Johnstone. Players and fans in the town centre pubs celebrating a togetherness now shattered by a desire for corporate prostitution

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:19 - Mar 4 with 4395 views442Dale

When Team Rochdale wasn’t a hashtag.

Simpler times. Times far too many people forgot. Times we will never see again.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:33 - Mar 4 with 4310 viewsrochdaleriddler

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 20:58 - Mar 4 by frenzied

I didn’t get there till nearly half time, but what a game

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:38 - Mar 4 with 4286 views49thseason

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:11 - Mar 4 by dingdangblue

3-0 at Bradford sticks in the mind. The night we went top of the league and stayed there for the next 4 months! Unheard of in my Dale lifetime. We absolutely footballed them to death and honestly it could have been 10. The journey home listening to local radio and all the plaudits made a very good night even prouder.

MEN Report:
"CHRIS Dagnall at his very best helped Rochdale climb to top of League Two as they outclassed Bradford at Valley Parade.

The Bantams will be glad to see the back of Dagnall who had the better of the host's back four with his clever movement and sharp pace.

Despite a bright start from Bradford it was Dale who struck first on 12 minutes when Dagnall took advantage of a poor kick from goalkeeper Simon Eastwood. The Dale striker had work to do as he drove into the box before finishing across goal.

Fifteen minutes later the visitors doubled their lead. Chris O'Grady broke into the left hand side of the box before finding Dagnall with his cross. Dagnall's initial strike was blocked but he was fortunate to see the ball bounce back to him and he took advantage with a scuffed shot.

Keith Hill's men sealed the win and top spot when O'Grady cleaned up some good work again from Dagnall just short of the hour mark. Eastwood parried Dagnall's shot but O'Grady was allowed to slot the ball into the empty net.

The win brings up Rochdale's fourth straight league victory on the road but more importantly stamps a firm message to the rest of the division about their intentions for automatic promotion.

Rochdale: Heaton 8, Wiseman 7, T.Kennedy 7, Stanton 7, J.Kennedy 7, Dagnall 9, Thompson 7 (Higginbotham 6) , O'Grady 8, Dawson 9, Atkinson 7, Taylor 7. Not used: Taberner, Toner, Glover, McArdle, Flynn, Gray.
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:40 - Mar 4 with 4263 viewsjudd

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:38 - Mar 4 by 49thseason

MEN Report:
"CHRIS Dagnall at his very best helped Rochdale climb to top of League Two as they outclassed Bradford at Valley Parade.

The Bantams will be glad to see the back of Dagnall who had the better of the host's back four with his clever movement and sharp pace.

Despite a bright start from Bradford it was Dale who struck first on 12 minutes when Dagnall took advantage of a poor kick from goalkeeper Simon Eastwood. The Dale striker had work to do as he drove into the box before finishing across goal.

Fifteen minutes later the visitors doubled their lead. Chris O'Grady broke into the left hand side of the box before finding Dagnall with his cross. Dagnall's initial strike was blocked but he was fortunate to see the ball bounce back to him and he took advantage with a scuffed shot.

Keith Hill's men sealed the win and top spot when O'Grady cleaned up some good work again from Dagnall just short of the hour mark. Eastwood parried Dagnall's shot but O'Grady was allowed to slot the ball into the empty net.

The win brings up Rochdale's fourth straight league victory on the road but more importantly stamps a firm message to the rest of the division about their intentions for automatic promotion.

Rochdale: Heaton 8, Wiseman 7, T.Kennedy 7, Stanton 7, J.Kennedy 7, Dagnall 9, Thompson 7 (Higginbotham 6) , O'Grady 8, Dawson 9, Atkinson 7, Taylor 7. Not used: Taberner, Toner, Glover, McArdle, Flynn, Gray.

So now we've gone from the wonder of KHBA to SLT.

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:41 - Mar 4 with 4252 viewskel

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:09 - Mar 4 by dale4ever

2-0 away at Southampton.

Best ever away game for me was that, although the 4-0 at Bournemouth ran it very close for numerous and humerous reasons.

Not bad mileage for a “part timer”
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:50 - Mar 4 with 4179 viewsTVOS1907

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:33 - Mar 4 by rochdaleriddler

I didn’t get there till nearly half time, but what a game

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:26 - Mar 4 with 4073 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Everyone talks about the ‘broken toys’ (O’Grady and Mendes Laing etc.) but he got the very best out of some, what can only be described as, previously ‘ordinary’ players as well. The likes of Widdowson, Akpro, Vincenti, Lancashire and BBM. Who, with the exception of the latter, achieved the height of their career with Hill.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:31 - Mar 4 with 4048 viewsShun

So, so many good memories.

The 3-0 at Bradford is simply the best footballing performance by any lower league side I’ve ever seen. Simply brilliant. To go top of the league was even more special.

The 4-0 at Bournemouth in the same season was something special too. They were top of the league and we completely outclassed them - a sign of things to come.

The first half season under Hill was probably the most fun time I’ve had watching Dale. Teams expected us to roll over and it allowed us to make some ruthless results - 5-0 against MK Dons and 7-2 against Stockport spring to mind.
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:32 - Mar 4 with 4036 viewssweetcorn

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:26 - Mar 4 by BigDaveMyCock

Everyone talks about the ‘broken toys’ (O’Grady and Mendes Laing etc.) but he got the very best out of some, what can only be described as, previously ‘ordinary’ players as well. The likes of Widdowson, Akpro, Vincenti, Lancashire and BBM. Who, with the exception of the latter, achieved the height of their career with Hill.

Wasn’t keen on PV when he first signed, but turned into a really important player for us.

You’re right about Hill though, always seemed to get something extra out of players who’d been considered average or worse at other clubs.

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:36 - Mar 4 with 4015 viewsSandyman

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 21:09 - Mar 4 by dale4ever

2-0 away at Southampton.

and at home
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:40 - Mar 4 with 3975 viewsjudd

Pink pants in Newport with a chance of winning the league

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:53 - Mar 4 with 3909 viewsSandyman

Destroying Sheffield Wednesday in the first half here and watching their billy big bollox "fans" dismantle our advertising hoardings only to throw them at their own fans to vent their anger at being absolutely humiliated by RAFC. We won 2-1. Heh. Saturday, 12 February 2011.
Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:55 - Mar 4 with 3903 viewsjudd

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:53 - Mar 4 by Sandyman

Destroying Sheffield Wednesday in the first half here and watching their billy big bollox "fans" dismantle our advertising hoardings only to throw them at their own fans to vent their anger at being absolutely humiliated by RAFC. We won 2-1. Heh. Saturday, 12 February 2011.

Similarly Sheff Utd throwing pitch covers onto the pitch

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 23:00 - Mar 4 with 3878 viewsTVOS1907

Keith Hill - The Good Times on 22:55 - Mar 4 by judd

Similarly Sheff Utd throwing pitch covers onto the pitch

Did they have to get them from the car park?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024