Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grant Holt autobiography 07:33 - Mar 27 with 7763 viewsfitzochris

Grant Holt’s autobiography is finally written and ready.

I’m sure there’ll be lots of Dale-related stuff in there.

He’s been writing this for ages. When I asked him for an interview for the Rochdale Connection, he was writing it even back then - and asked me for payment if I wanted him to talk about his time at Dale!!!

[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 7:34]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Grant Holt autobiography on 07:49 - Mar 27 with 7718 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Great idea, I wonder why more footballers don't come out and write autobiographies...oh, wait a minute!
Grant Holt autobiography on 10:43 - Mar 27 with 7519 viewsBarryStrange

It's good when you get a lower division one though because the stories are better or more relevant than yet another Premier League mercenary writing one at 23, one at 30 and a slightly more honest one when they retire (although there's no way Holt isn't gonna be overly Norwich-focused in his, that's just market economics).

Phil Stant's was fascinating, though admittedly only two thirds of it was about football and a third was on his time in the Falklands. Tom Youngs' was a good account of a guy who was permanently sweating on whether there was another contract coming.
Grant Holt autobiography on 11:01 - Mar 27 with 7488 viewsfitzochris

Yeah, I'm not sure why the scepticism from our Albert.

Given Holt is one of Dale's best forwards, I would have thought this book would have been of some interest to fellow supporters (putting aside the money-making vehicle autobiographies obviously are).
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 11:06]

Grant Holt autobiography on 12:58 - Mar 27 with 7304 viewsfrenzied

Grant Holt autobiography on 11:01 - Mar 27 by fitzochris

Yeah, I'm not sure why the scepticism from our Albert.

Given Holt is one of Dale's best forwards, I would have thought this book would have been of some interest to fellow supporters (putting aside the money-making vehicle autobiographies obviously are).
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 11:06]

Quite agree..id certainly take a look at this one..

The only good quality top players autobiography ive ever read was Greavsie..Jimmy Greaves..fascinating career as well as off the field issues.

Lower league stuff such as Big Fry I think it was called re Barry Frys autobiography was entertaining.

Looking at getting a copy of Akinfenwas book as well soon..anyone else read it?
Grant Holt autobiography on 13:19 - Mar 27 with 7262 viewsEllDale

I haven't read those but read recent autobiographies by Shay Given and Kieran Dyer which were pretty decent.
If you're into cricket a recent book by Derek Pringle talking about playing in the 1980's is quite good.
Grant Holt autobiography on 14:40 - Mar 27 with 7165 views100notout

Bit disappointing he asked for payment fitz given at the time he was probably on good money at Norwich or was it tongue in cheek

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Grant Holt autobiography on 14:58 - Mar 27 with 7125 viewssandylaner

Garry Nelson played for Plymouth & Charlton, his 'Left Foot Forward' is a good one for a journeymans autobiography.

Also enjoyed Tony Adams addicted which is a bit different for a high profile player.
Grant Holt autobiography on 15:37 - Mar 27 with 7070 viewsfitzochris

Grant Holt autobiography on 14:40 - Mar 27 by 100notout

Bit disappointing he asked for payment fitz given at the time he was probably on good money at Norwich or was it tongue in cheek

It was very disappointing, given not one of the other interviewees did. It wasn't tongue in cheek, sadly.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 15:43]

Login to get fewer ads

Grant Holt autobiography on 16:27 - Mar 27 with 6984 viewsmacro

Grant Holt autobiography on 14:58 - Mar 27 by sandylaner

Garry Nelson played for Plymouth & Charlton, his 'Left Foot Forward' is a good one for a journeymans autobiography.

Also enjoyed Tony Adams addicted which is a bit different for a high profile player.

Left Foot Forward is a great book, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it’s sequel
Grant Holt autobiography on 16:30 - Mar 27 with 6974 viewsBarryStrange

Grant Holt autobiography on 16:27 - Mar 27 by macro

Left Foot Forward is a great book, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it’s sequel

I thought Left Foot in the Grave was the better book actually - found the insight into what a mess Torquay were really interesting. As was every mention of Jon Gittens.
Grant Holt autobiography on 16:35 - Mar 27 with 6965 viewsEllDale

I agree Left Foot Forward is excellent although in diary form over a season.
Garry Nelson also wrote a sequel in similar format about his time as player-coach at Torquay.
Grant Holt autobiography on 17:43 - Mar 27 with 6868 viewsDySporting

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/grant-holt-autobiography-norwich-city-premie
Grant Holt autobiography on 22:34 - Mar 27 with 6635 viewspioneer

Grant Holt autobiography on 15:37 - Mar 27 by fitzochris

It was very disappointing, given not one of the other interviewees did. It wasn't tongue in cheek, sadly.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 15:43]

well on that note he has just lost one sale. He was treated very well here.
Grant Holt autobiography on 22:41 - Mar 27 with 6633 viewsfitzochris

Grant Holt autobiography on 22:34 - Mar 27 by pioneer

He was, but to be fair to the guy, he probably just saw me as a fan with a pen and didn’t want to scoop his own book.

It’s still pretty lame that he would’ve been on a ton of cash at Wigan (where he’d just been) and asked for money from an ‘umble working-class Daley etc etc.

He was on a coaching course with Matt Gilks at the time I approached him, so it’s even more disappointing, as Gilks couldn’t do enough to help me.

Grant Holt autobiography on 05:32 - Mar 28 with 6541 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Grant Holt autobiography on 22:34 - Mar 27 by pioneer

Seconded - although I wasn't in a rush to buy it anyway. Footballer autobiographies in the modern era are usually dreadful as the game is so sanitized and the authors struggle to string two words together.

Disappointed to read he would ask you for money Fitz!
[Post edited 28 Mar 2019 5:46]
Grant Holt autobiography on 11:13 - Mar 28 with 6394 viewsBarryStrange

Grant Holt autobiography on 22:41 - Mar 27 by fitzochris

He was, but to be fair to the guy, he probably just saw me as a fan with a pen and didn’t want to scoop his own book.

It’s still pretty lame that he would’ve been on a ton of cash at Wigan (where he’d just been) and asked for money from an ‘umble working-class Daley etc etc.

He was on a coaching course with Matt Gilks at the time I approached him, so it’s even more disappointing, as Gilks couldn’t do enough to help me.

Pretty poor he asked for paying though. I'm sure if he'd just said "I'm sorry mate, I'm working on my own book and it's still not finished so I can't talk about Dale too much just now" you'd have accepted that.

But the implication from what you say is he would have scooped his own book if you'd paid him to do so.
Grant Holt autobiography on 12:27 - Mar 28 with 6348 viewsfitzochris

Grant Holt autobiography on 11:13 - Mar 28 by BarryStrange

Pretty poor he asked for paying though. I'm sure if he'd just said "I'm sorry mate, I'm working on my own book and it's still not finished so I can't talk about Dale too much just now" you'd have accepted that.

But the implication from what you say is he would have scooped his own book if you'd paid him to do so.

Yep, that was what I took from it. He would have given me info on his time at Dale for a fee.

As I say, Matt Gilks, who was in the same location, sat for ages and happily chatted through his time at Dale and beyond - and offered that I could get back in touch if I needed any more info. Brilliant guy.

I will also add that Holt's strike partner at Dale, Rickie Lambert, was as equally helpful as Gilks.

Grant Holt autobiography on 12:38 - Mar 28 with 6337 viewssmaclad1

I assume Holty saw you as another jobbing hack looking to make a few bob on the back of his talent? Some players are prepared to talk to anyone, others are more business focussed. Assume that missing a chapter on Holty didn't hit your book sales too badly?
Grant Holt autobiography on 13:16 - Mar 28 with 6292 viewsfitzochris

Grant Holt autobiography on 12:38 - Mar 28 by smaclad1

I assume Holty saw you as another jobbing hack looking to make a few bob on the back of his talent? Some players are prepared to talk to anyone, others are more business focussed. Assume that missing a chapter on Holty didn't hit your book sales too badly?

I’ve said as much above and, no, his lack of interview didn’t prevent his chapter going into the book. In fact, a certain Keith Hill was kind enough to contribute to that chapter.

You should give it a read.

Grant Holt autobiography on 07:38 - Mar 30 with 5961 viewsgeraldo

If it is anything like the Evening with Grant Holt that he did at Spotland then I wouldn't bother - it was the most inarticulate foul mouthed event ( including the c word in every sentance) I have ever wasted money on !!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024