Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
High Street maybe best in Wales! 01:01 - Sep 28 with 6327 viewsDJack

Best high street: Narberth, Swansea and Treorchy make shortlist

Three Welsh towns have been shortlisted in the UK's best high street awards.

Swansea, Treorchy and Narberth hope to take the crown after Crickhowell in Powys won the competition in 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49837780

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:18 - Sep 30 with 1438 viewsProfessor

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 20:51 - Sep 28 by taffpunk

Correct, too many Cafes though, one of which will be closing very soon. It is still a very nice town, and if I had enough cash, I'd move the Record Shop there.

Do you think Asda has had a negative effect on Tonypandy or do you think its the proximity of out-of-town shops like Talbot Green? Used to have decent shops up until the 90s. Porth seems to be getting a bit better again, but Treorchy was certainly the 'poor relation' when I grew up (no Woolworths even!).
High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:45 - Sep 30 with 1413 viewstaffpunk

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 09:18 - Sep 30 by Professor

Do you think Asda has had a negative effect on Tonypandy or do you think its the proximity of out-of-town shops like Talbot Green? Used to have decent shops up until the 90s. Porth seems to be getting a bit better again, but Treorchy was certainly the 'poor relation' when I grew up (no Woolworths even!).

Asda was definitely the start of the decline of Tonypandy, in particular being built just that little bit too far away to encourage people to do their main shopping there, and then still want to have a wander around the town centre. Internet shopping has became more and more popular, out of town Shopping Centres, so with that triple whammy it's more or less killed the town.

Also the variety of Shops in Pandy is very poor, we currently have 13 Hairdressers/Barbers. Plus of course there have been 3 roads built over the years designed to keep traffic/people out of the town! There's no coming back now sadly, despite the fact the main road has now been re-opened to traffic, which I opposed at the Chamber Of Commerce meeting as did several other shop owners. A complete waste of 3/4 million pound, too little too late.

Apart from that, my own Shop is doing fine, albeit only open for just two days a week.

Tonypandy was fairly recently voted 994th out of a 1,000 Shopping Centres in the UK, I think that sadly says it all.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 9:49]

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 22:29 - Sep 30 with 1345 viewsjack_lord

I drove up high street in Swansea today. I was trying to pay attention as I was driving and did notice how much it really has improved. A few more buildings to go though but by the time the student buildings are filled I am sure new business will find the investment.
Unfortunately the top end of high street has Dyfatty and unless the universities can buy the flats, I can't see it changing up there.
Llandeilo is lovely by the way and don't know why it isn't on the list and the same applies to Cowbridge.
I like Narberth but it is a bit nothingy, and Treorchy is a proper good old Welsh high street.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 13:40 - Oct 2 with 1258 viewscontroversial_jack

High Street maybe best in Wales! on 21:42 - Sep 28 by Taliesin

Tenby would be ok if it wasn't for the people that visit it.

It's gone very expensive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024