Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club 18:38 - Oct 31 with 7366 viewsphilofOAFC

After a bit of advice really and have always found Daleys to be forthcoming with decent advice, specifically to their Bury counterparts in respect of their rogue owners throughout the years. Such advice if heeded may have had a different outcome for Bury but it fell mainly on deaf ears and they are left in tatters.
My club OAFC are in a precarious state as far as I am aware - the club are about as transparent as a maze and the finances look hopeless at best, inaccurate and possibly worse if access to full accounts allowed.
Just after some advice on how Daleys have managed to tackle any "rogue owners" you may have had over last few years? How have you managed to persuade Daleys who were in denial that there was an issue? Was your Trust active in representing your concerns? Did you have any protests? If so - what were they like, what was the outcome?
I am a humble BIFFO (well BIFFM really - Middleton lad) who wants my club to be run for the good of its club, fans and community - nothing more, and that my club is run as befits a professional league club and treats all people with dignity and courtesy. It is far from that in my opinion but we are trying to effect positive change and are not too proud to ask for advice from our neighbours. All advice will be gratefully received.
Good luck for rest of the season fellas
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:52 - Oct 31 with 5891 views442Dale

All football clubs, good owners/boards or bad, should be open to consistent, transparent communication with their supporters about their club.

Trusts such as our own and Forever Bury have a duty to represent supporters to ensure this occurs, because it allows fans to have a recognised voice. Supporters have a duty to ask those questions, point out discrepancies and push for improvements to illustrate that when things aren’t good enough, those involved are willing to admit as such.

At its most extreme, anyone who plays a part in that process and fails to follow it, they let down their club. The subject is irrelevant, whether it’s the colour of the away kit or the price of a cup of coffee.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2019 19:01]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:09 - Oct 31 with 5847 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Are you part of OAFC’s supporters trust phil? If so I think you should call an urgent meeting to draw up a list of issues/concerns & present them to the club ASAP. Personally I’d give them a couple of weeks to reply, depending on if/when the club get back to you & the contents or lack of will determine your future course of action.
On a positive note the demise of bury may work in your favour. The EFL will be loathe to let another club fail, and depending on the clubs response, should be receptive to you if the club fail to address your issues. All the best.
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:24 - Oct 31 with 5799 viewsDaleiLama

Not been to one myself, but a fans forum seems like a good opportunity to ask questions of those in charge. If you don't have one you could push for one en masse. I'm sure there'll be lots of straight bats played and ranks closed if awkward questions are raised at such an event, but the lack of responses to questions which need answering may provide confirmation of your smoking gun and help rally doubters round to the cause.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:35 - Oct 31 with 5772 viewsSandyman

There is a tale of a "dodgy" director here being found out after certain fans got a private eye on the case. He scarpered sharpish.
Certainly use your supporters trust to get the EFL involved - they are going to be very wary right now.
At our darkest hour, we had two superb chaps come along and save the sinking ship.

http://www.pomonauk.co.uk/books/markhodkinson/theovercoatmen/index.php

If things are looking as suspect as you say, I'd suggest speaking to Blackpool supporters - they got off their backsides, organised, protested and eventually got sorted.

Don't speak to bury fans - they are still in denial of the apathy that got them where they are.

All the best and good luck to the proactive OAFC fans.
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:00 - Oct 31 with 5705 viewsSuddenLad

I heard some time ago, before the current Chairman arrived, that OAFC were financially doomed. From recent events, it seems that things may well have got worse, not better.

You MUST get a proper fans organisation and stick together with the same enthusiasm and drive. Never be afraid to ask the difficult questions, repeatedly if necessary and make sure you aren't ignored.

The fans as a collective own the club, not the people in suits who THINK they do - and never let them forget that. Highlight the doubts, seek answers and make the relevant noises, where the doubts and cracks appear.

If it comes to the EFL getting involved, I'm not sure which way they'd see it. Having dumped the Gigglers, does that mean that the next decision will be easier for them to make, or will they move heaven and earth to keep you in the EFL ? Difficult to say, but I do think we will see more clubs go under if the fans at some clubs don't become more pro-active in holding people to account.

Good luck.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:07 - Oct 31 with 5679 viewsaleanddale

Make sure your voice is heard.

Protest at the match if possible despite the result.

Don’t make it easy for suspect owners demand answers.

If it’s to good to be true it probably is. If you sign players above your punching weight it will probably end up in tears.

Don’t let success on the pitch cloud / near blind your judgement. If you know it’s wrong and it feels dirty it probably is.

If your chur starts attending training sessions with his initials on his way to tight shorts you have real problems.

Are Oldham flying to away games yet? Jot that down as a concern.

Good luck.
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:14 - Oct 31 with 5647 viewsJames1980

And if anyone says 'enjoy the ride.' Deal with them swiftly

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:46 - Oct 31 with 5585 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:07 - Oct 31 by aleanddale

Make sure your voice is heard.

Protest at the match if possible despite the result.

Don’t make it easy for suspect owners demand answers.

If it’s to good to be true it probably is. If you sign players above your punching weight it will probably end up in tears.

Don’t let success on the pitch cloud / near blind your judgement. If you know it’s wrong and it feels dirty it probably is.

If your chur starts attending training sessions with his initials on his way to tight shorts you have real problems.

Are Oldham flying to away games yet? Jot that down as a concern.

Good luck.

Yep," BEWARE of anyone strutting in bearing loads of Milky Bars! ".... (Confucius 551 BC)
Login to get fewer ads

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:04 - Nov 1 with 5297 viewsphilofOAFC

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:52 - Oct 31 by 442Dale

All football clubs, good owners/boards or bad, should be open to consistent, transparent communication with their supporters about their club.

Trusts such as our own and Forever Bury have a duty to represent supporters to ensure this occurs, because it allows fans to have a recognised voice. Supporters have a duty to ask those questions, point out discrepancies and push for improvements to illustrate that when things aren’t good enough, those involved are willing to admit as such.

At its most extreme, anyone who plays a part in that process and fails to follow it, they let down their club. The subject is irrelevant, whether it’s the colour of the away kit or the price of a cup of coffee.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2019 19:01]

Cheers 442 - we have a Trust who have been sadly tainted by previous regimes that had Trust representatives who jumped ship on were elected to the Full Board and changed stance. Once is still on the OAFC Board of directors and is much mistrusted. Our Trust's current board is well intentioned but I think is in denial - my concern is that Oldham were named in a Govt sub-committee as one club on their watch (along with Macc) yet no one seems that proactive.
My son and several others have set up an independent Pressure Group (Push The Boundary) and are in liaison with other clubs who we know have had issues - Orient have been very helpful apparently. I contacted Dale as I thought a lot of stuff they had on the Board about Bury was wonderful if they had cared to see it early on hence my approach.
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:08 - Nov 1 with 5294 viewsphilofOAFC

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:09 - Oct 31 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Are you part of OAFC’s supporters trust phil? If so I think you should call an urgent meeting to draw up a list of issues/concerns & present them to the club ASAP. Personally I’d give them a couple of weeks to reply, depending on if/when the club get back to you & the contents or lack of will determine your future course of action.
On a positive note the demise of bury may work in your favour. The EFL will be loathe to let another club fail, and depending on the clubs response, should be receptive to you if the club fail to address your issues. All the best.

Cheers Plattys - not a member of our Trust as legacy issues, I have offered to do some research work for them but wont sign a Non Disclosure Agreement which I understand the club wants in any dealings with the Trust. My son & a few others have set up an independent supporters group who hope to be more proactive and reason for my approach was the amount of good advice Daleys turned up for Bury. I do think EFL may be a little more proactive now hence our need to be at least vigilant if not necessarily vigilante. Thanks for your advice and kind words
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:25 - Nov 1 with 5275 viewsblackdogblue

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:08 - Nov 1 by philofOAFC

Cheers Plattys - not a member of our Trust as legacy issues, I have offered to do some research work for them but wont sign a Non Disclosure Agreement which I understand the club wants in any dealings with the Trust. My son & a few others have set up an independent supporters group who hope to be more proactive and reason for my approach was the amount of good advice Daleys turned up for Bury. I do think EFL may be a little more proactive now hence our need to be at least vigilant if not necessarily vigilante. Thanks for your advice and kind words

I know quite a few Oldham fans & the wife’s cousin was Chaddy the Owl for many years 😀

Heard rumours a while ago a few CCJ”s were in process from a reliable source but not sure if they were ever served or not. The extension to the new stand wasn’t cheap & your like us, not the greatest fan base at games so it’s a lot of money to find / finance...

Then there was the Paul Scholes incident, boyhood club, dream job & very soon gone. Makes you wonder what the butler saw, was it the accounts? False promises & empty wallets???

In all honesty, don’t believe there are crooks involved at OAFC as was at RIPBury but whoever is the pockets in the trousers at Boundary Park won’t be doing it for a vat write off.. seriously hope this does not end up a nearly 300 page thread with over a million hits...

Best of luck & act now 👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:37 - Nov 1 with 5255 viewsphilofOAFC

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:24 - Oct 31 by DaleiLama

Not been to one myself, but a fans forum seems like a good opportunity to ask questions of those in charge. If you don't have one you could push for one en masse. I'm sure there'll be lots of straight bats played and ranks closed if awkward questions are raised at such an event, but the lack of responses to questions which need answering may provide confirmation of your smoking gun and help rally doubters round to the cause.

Cheers DaleILama

We had an open forum at Royton Cricket Club the other week, we never expected the owner or his brother to attend but to be fair they did. It was a fairly toxic night - not abusive but the panel got some quite deserved flak. The owners were very vague and blamed everyone but themselves. My fear is that the majority of our fans have their heads deeply in the sands and won't see what is painfully obvious. My son and others have formed a pressure group and I was after advice on how best to move forward quickly in getting our fans on board in case of us being proved right
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:44 - Nov 1 with 5255 viewschalky_ncfc

Notts past three owners have been complete nightmares,going back there was Hardy who was a complete bell.end who thought that he was God and nobody couple cross him,absolute egomaniac who threw £10m into the club,refused to take advice from others and got us relegated into non league for the first time in our history and then there was the countless Twitter tweets (including one where he put his tadger on show) that had a fall out with Forest who consequently stopped loaning us decent players,talk about cutting your nose off,then there was Ray Trew who hated Notts fans so much that he ended up wanting to finish the club financially,it was so bad that one match a mob from the kop ran into the Pavis stand where he was to fight him but he legged it and never came back,he loved social network as well and it was just a massive slanging match for the last year,then before him there was....... Munto aka Russell King,where do you even start with them,a darkest time in Notts history while everyone was also enjoying the ride with various big names being conned into coming to us with non of them being paid a penny,literally took Notts to the brink of extinction,I sometimes get banter on here for being in non league but tbh it could be a lot worst and we are trying pull the club back into the league,there's two Danish brothers who own us a present and seen to have a level and business head about them and don't do social media thank fook

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:09 - Nov 1 with 5211 viewsJames1980

Is it worth asking, what safeguards are in place to prevent a similar situation to Bury occurring?

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:48 - Nov 1 with 5159 views442Dale

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:09 - Nov 1 by James1980

Is it worth asking, what safeguards are in place to prevent a similar situation to Bury occurring?

It’s worth every fan everywhere asking that, James.

To presume is to deny.

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:52 - Nov 1 with 5139 viewsJames1980

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:48 - Nov 1 by 442Dale

It’s worth every fan everywhere asking that, James.

To presume is to deny.

That could be the buckets phoenix club motto, in Latin of course

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:59 - Nov 1 with 5133 views442Dale

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:52 - Nov 1 by James1980

They’re welcome.

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:14 - Nov 1 with 5110 viewschalky_ncfc

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 19:52 - Nov 1 by James1980

Do they teach Latin in Bury as well as Rochdale?

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:19 - Nov 1 with 5104 viewsJames1980

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:14 - Nov 1 by chalky_ncfc

Do they teach Latin in Bury as well as Rochdale?

Don't know but Latin mottos have more gravitas

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 21:04 - Nov 1 with 5039 viewsphilofOAFC

Cheers Sandyman - seemed to recall an issue at the Dale and your lot managing rogues out. Will be purchasing the book - maybe have to use some of the same techniques
Quality advice gratefully received mate thanks
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 21:07 - Nov 1 with 5034 viewsphilofOAFC

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 20:00 - Oct 31 by SuddenLad

I heard some time ago, before the current Chairman arrived, that OAFC were financially doomed. From recent events, it seems that things may well have got worse, not better.

You MUST get a proper fans organisation and stick together with the same enthusiasm and drive. Never be afraid to ask the difficult questions, repeatedly if necessary and make sure you aren't ignored.

The fans as a collective own the club, not the people in suits who THINK they do - and never let them forget that. Highlight the doubts, seek answers and make the relevant noises, where the doubts and cracks appear.

If it comes to the EFL getting involved, I'm not sure which way they'd see it. Having dumped the Gigglers, does that mean that the next decision will be easier for them to make, or will they move heaven and earth to keep you in the EFL ? Difficult to say, but I do think we will see more clubs go under if the fans at some clubs don't become more pro-active in holding people to account.

Good luck.

Cheers Sudden, we have a Fans Trust who in my opinion have not really asked the hardest questions. A new pressure group "Push The Boundary" has been set up by my son and others to be much more proactive - to complement rather than replace our Trust but I think we will have our work cut out trying to identify exactly what level of mess we are in off-the-field, bad enough on the field.
Think it might be a long hard winter for us BIFFOS/BIFFMs - thanks for your advice pal
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 21:09 - Nov 1 with 5030 viewsphilofOAFC

cheers mate, not flying to games but may do soon as I am not convinced they can afford coaches so maybe can get credit on airlines
Think its going to be a long hard winter the other side of A627

All the best
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 21:10 - Nov 1 with 5029 viewsphilofOAFC

Definitely not going to be enjoying this ride if it is as bleak off the field as I am led to believe
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 21:14 - Nov 1 with 5024 viewsphilofOAFC

cheers BlackdogBlue, I am not that convinced that the owners are in it for the good of OAFC, I am not that certain they are as bad as Day and Dale at Bury but I think we need to be very vigilant (not easy when its about as clear as mud at BP). I don't think our owners are the easiest people to deal with - being kind there. I had a dream on holiday that they had gone, woke up in sunnier climes to hear it was not true & they were still there! Spoiled rest of my holiday lol
Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 21:21 - Nov 1 with 5013 viewsphilofOAFC

Managing owners who are not in it for the good of their club on 18:44 - Nov 1 by chalky_ncfc

Notts past three owners have been complete nightmares,going back there was Hardy who was a complete bell.end who thought that he was God and nobody couple cross him,absolute egomaniac who threw £10m into the club,refused to take advice from others and got us relegated into non league for the first time in our history and then there was the countless Twitter tweets (including one where he put his tadger on show) that had a fall out with Forest who consequently stopped loaning us decent players,talk about cutting your nose off,then there was Ray Trew who hated Notts fans so much that he ended up wanting to finish the club financially,it was so bad that one match a mob from the kop ran into the Pavis stand where he was to fight him but he legged it and never came back,he loved social network as well and it was just a massive slanging match for the last year,then before him there was....... Munto aka Russell King,where do you even start with them,a darkest time in Notts history while everyone was also enjoying the ride with various big names being conned into coming to us with non of them being paid a penny,literally took Notts to the brink of extinction,I sometimes get banter on here for being in non league but tbh it could be a lot worst and we are trying pull the club back into the league,there's two Danish brothers who own us a present and seen to have a level and business head about them and don't do social media thank fook

Sounds a nightmare Chalky.

Were your fans proactive in trying to root out the idiots, and have you got any contact details for Trust or any proactive supporters at Notts who took action - successful or otherwise
I went to Notts last season - Tuesday night drew 0-0 - probably the 30th time been there watching Latics... always thought you'd turn it round but you didn't.
Think we could be heading same way but need to arm ourselves with plans to tackle whatever comes if my fears are founded
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024