Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
radio bolton. 19:27 - Feb 11 with 105826 viewssince58

wtf is going on. last time I looked they were bottom of lge 1 yet still tonight they are
the main game lge 2 looms yet STILL they are the main game fookin stinks.
radio bolton. on 09:24 - Feb 14 with 3608 viewsDiddyDave

Ok,it`s a Down Under thing then. As I said,it probably goes back to the amateur days of rugby union,especially in NZ. It infuriates me that`s for sure as I can`t possibly see how a team of humans can be an "it". Glad this bullshit hasn`t hit the pages and air over there.
radio bolton. on 09:29 - Feb 14 with 3585 viewsAtThePeake

radio bolton. on 23:54 - Feb 13 by DiddyDave

Back in the day the BBC and the ABC here in Australia,would employ proper sports journalists,now they just employ journalists. They come on,women mostly,reading from the auto cue thingamy and haven`t got a clue what they`re really on about. It`s cringe worthy,so amateurish,but this is what happens is this age of "equality".
When I was a kid in Rochdale,many moons ago I must admit,the media always referred to teams in all codes as "they" or "them",now they call teams "it". Why? Is this PC again? Maybe it`s just an Aussie and Kiwi thing,staying in the amateur days of sport or summat? Anybody got an answer,Fitzo might know.

Why would it be politically correct to refer to a team as 'it' instead of 'them'?

Tangled up in blue.

radio bolton. on 10:24 - Feb 14 with 3528 viewsJames1980

radio bolton. on 09:29 - Feb 14 by AtThePeake

Why would it be politically correct to refer to a team as 'it' instead of 'them'?

Isn't they/them the right on pc non binary term.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

radio bolton. on 10:31 - Feb 14 with 3514 viewsTVOS1907

radio bolton. on 09:24 - Feb 14 by DiddyDave

Ok,it`s a Down Under thing then. As I said,it probably goes back to the amateur days of rugby union,especially in NZ. It infuriates me that`s for sure as I can`t possibly see how a team of humans can be an "it". Glad this bullshit hasn`t hit the pages and air over there.

Well I'm against all forms of rugby so I wouldn't know, but neither can I think of a context in which it could be used where it would make any sense.

Like ATP says, how is it referencing political correctness?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

radio bolton. on 10:38 - Feb 14 with 3497 viewsAncoats_Blue

radio bolton. on 09:24 - Feb 14 by DiddyDave

Isn't that just poor grammar and specifically the incorrect choice of pronoun? It doesn't make any sense to refer to a group of people as an "it". That's the sort of thing a child or non-native English speaker would do. It's nothing to do with PC.
radio bolton. on 10:41 - Feb 14 with 3493 viewsAncoats_Blue

radio bolton. on 23:54 - Feb 13 by DiddyDave

Back in the day the BBC and the ABC here in Australia,would employ proper sports journalists,now they just employ journalists. They come on,women mostly,reading from the auto cue thingamy and haven`t got a clue what they`re really on about. It`s cringe worthy,so amateurish,but this is what happens is this age of "equality".
When I was a kid in Rochdale,many moons ago I must admit,the media always referred to teams in all codes as "they" or "them",now they call teams "it". Why? Is this PC again? Maybe it`s just an Aussie and Kiwi thing,staying in the amateur days of sport or summat? Anybody got an answer,Fitzo might know.

Not living in Australia I won't comment on the media there. But I know that the BBC uses female footballers as pundits occasionally. I don't think this is some PC GONE MAD stunt. An actual professional/ex-professional footballer regardless of gender knows more about the game than I do.
radio bolton. on 10:57 - Feb 14 with 3479 viewsDaleiLama

radio bolton. on 10:38 - Feb 14 by Ancoats_Blue

Isn't that just poor grammar and specifically the incorrect choice of pronoun? It doesn't make any sense to refer to a group of people as an "it". That's the sort of thing a child or non-native English speaker would do. It's nothing to do with PC.

A team or club is an it, because there is one of them. A team consists of "several" members so it's they or them when referring to the group. You are spot on. Don't think the grammar police need calling in to investigate this one.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

radio bolton. on 11:51 - Feb 14 with 3442 viewsdalenumber2

radio bolton. on 09:29 - Feb 14 by AtThePeake

Because 'team' is singular therefore it.
Login to get fewer ads

radio bolton. on 11:55 - Feb 14 with 3433 viewsTVOS1907

radio bolton. on 11:51 - Feb 14 by dalenumber2

Because 'team' is singular therefore it.

But that's 'grammatically correct', whereas ATP is challenging 'politically correct'.

radio bolton. on 12:07 - Feb 14 with 3409 viewsrochdaleriddler

radio bolton. on 10:41 - Feb 14 by Ancoats_Blue

Not living in Australia I won't comment on the media there. But I know that the BBC uses female footballers as pundits occasionally. I don't think this is some PC GONE MAD stunt. An actual professional/ex-professional footballer regardless of gender knows more about the game than I do.

Some proper boomers on here

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

radio bolton. on 13:43 - Feb 14 with 3331 viewsDaleiLama

Wiz Bolton, ze seagulls follow ze trawler, but in ze end, zey may just be like ze squirrel

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

radio bolton. on 15:22 - Feb 14 with 3258 viewskiwidale

Wasn't the original question in regards to a supposedly neutral BBC commentary team using the term them which implies us regardless of the opposition?
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 15:24]

This is not the time for bickering.

radio bolton. on 16:44 - Feb 14 with 3188 viewstodmordendale

Is it it init or not init ?
radio bolton. on 19:08 - Feb 14 with 3113 viewsMass_Debater

radio bolton. on 16:44 - Feb 14 by todmordendale

You're not funny.
radio bolton. on 19:31 - Feb 14 with 3083 viewsLaveritty

radio bolton. on 16:44 - Feb 14 by todmordendale

Had to read this post several times to try and work out whether you could have also added it to this thread?:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/254013/palindrome-day-ya-de

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

radio bolton. on 23:12 - Feb 14 with 2979 viewsDiddyDave

Well,whatever the reason,here in Oz and over in NZ,sporting teams are always referred to as "it". Australia`s women`s team played China the other night. The bloke on the ABC said,"Australia scrambled a late draw with China last night,it equalised in the 92nd minute through midfielder Van Egmont". This is how they always report sporting events.
radio bolton. on 23:56 - Feb 14 with 2952 viewsScunnydale

radio bolton. on 11:55 - Feb 14 by TVOS1907

But that's 'grammatically correct', whereas ATP is challenging 'politically correct'.

Americans et al have, for years, used the singular for teams, whereas we have, rightly or wrongly, used the plural. Hence, 'Arsenal has beaten Chelsea', as opposed to our usual 'Arsenal have beaten Chelsea'. To me, it still seems wrong to use the former, even though I'm aware it's probably the betterer English.
radio bolton. on 23:59 - Feb 14 with 2946 viewssince58

radio bolton. on 23:12 - Feb 14 by DiddyDave

Well,whatever the reason,here in Oz and over in NZ,sporting teams are always referred to as "it". Australia`s women`s team played China the other night. The bloke on the ABC said,"Australia scrambled a late draw with China last night,it equalised in the 92nd minute through midfielder Van Egmont". This is how they always report sporting events.

Heres hoping radio Bolt IT don't get a 92nd winner tomoz.
FFS.
radio bolton. on 11:48 - Feb 15 with 2801 viewsSandyman

And you'll never guess what is the "big match commentary" on radio Manc today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0824gt3

You guessed correctly!
radio bolton. on 12:47 - Feb 15 with 2725 viewsBlueMessiah

radio bolton. on 11:48 - Feb 15 by Sandyman

And you'll never guess what is the "big match commentary" on radio Manc today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0824gt3

You guessed correctly!

So neither Wigan or Salford, both of whom have long away trips, warrant match commentary but Bolton at home do....yet again??

Their Bolton bias is truly embarrassing now.

Personally i refuse to listen to the station at all these days.

Poll: Do I Know You?

radio bolton. on 12:57 - Feb 15 with 2686 viewsSuddenLad

radio bolton. on 12:47 - Feb 15 by BlueMessiah

So neither Wigan or Salford, both of whom have long away trips, warrant match commentary but Bolton at home do....yet again??

Their Bolton bias is truly embarrassing now.

Personally i refuse to listen to the station at all these days.

It won't make any difference to Radio Bolton, but I also refuse to listen to their biased tripe any longer. Shame really, because it was once enjoyable in the days of Mike Brookes commentating on Dale games, but whoever is pulling the strings and in charge of match selection is ruining the programme. It's lost many listeners from what I can gather, and it's no surprise. Going downhill faster than a skier.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

radio bolton. on 13:11 - Feb 15 with 2643 viewsTVOS1907

radio bolton. on 12:57 - Feb 15 by SuddenLad

It won't make any difference to Radio Bolton, but I also refuse to listen to their biased tripe any longer. Shame really, because it was once enjoyable in the days of Mike Brookes commentating on Dale games, but whoever is pulling the strings and in charge of match selection is ruining the programme. It's lost many listeners from what I can gather, and it's no surprise. Going downhill faster than a skier.

What’s also funny is that when challenged about it on Twitter last month, Bill Rice got all defensive and said Bolton were NOT featured more than any other clubs, etc.

Having been shown up, he’s now stopped responding to tweets and questions.

radio bolton. on 14:44 - Feb 15 with 2576 viewsBlueMessiah

radio bolton. on 13:11 - Feb 15 by TVOS1907

What’s also funny is that when challenged about it on Twitter last month, Bill Rice got all defensive and said Bolton were NOT featured more than any other clubs, etc.

Having been shown up, he’s now stopped responding to tweets and questions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07jgdkb/episodes/guide

I'm sure the above link is by no means a comprehensive picture of this season's broadcasts, but a quick scan through the list would give Mr Rice & co some food for thought.

Poll: Do I Know You?

radio bolton. on 15:46 - Feb 15 with 2502 views49thseason

radio bolton. on 14:44 - Feb 15 by BlueMessiah

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07jgdkb/episodes/guide

I'm sure the above link is by no means a comprehensive picture of this season's broadcasts, but a quick scan through the list would give Mr Rice & co some food for thought.

Next time anyone complains about localmradio, it might be worh CCing this bloke
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2020/02/john-whittingdale-back-at-dcms-as-minister/
Seems he is the minister responsible for local radio.
radio bolton. on 15:49 - Feb 15 with 2497 viewssince58

Oh no IT Bolton losing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024