Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who'd have thunk this would happen? 18:16 - May 15 with 5252 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52677194

D'oh!!!!
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:21 - May 15 with 2346 viewssainthelens

With the Govt now hellbent on getting the country and the economy moving, don't be surprised if there will be some number crunching going on to make sure it continues.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:21 - May 15 with 2347 viewsPegojack

With Boris and his bunch of goons in charge, it was inevitable.

Tory voters, at the next election:
STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:21 - May 15 with 2340 viewslondonlisa2001

Why?

The number is from three weeks ago. Before any change whatsoever in lockdown. And also before the papers started trumpeting any change.

It’s reflecting the horrible situation in care homes at that time.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:37 - May 15 with 2302 viewsdickythorpe

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:21 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

Why?

The number is from three weeks ago. Before any change whatsoever in lockdown. And also before the papers started trumpeting any change.

It’s reflecting the horrible situation in care homes at that time.

Where does it say it's from 3 weeks ago Lisa?
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:44 - May 15 with 2282 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:37 - May 15 by dickythorpe

Where does it say it's from 3 weeks ago Lisa?

“ The latest analysis takes account of the spread of coronavirus in care homes, hospitals and more widely in society.
As the figures are based on patients ending up in hospital, they actually give a sense of the R-number from around three weeks ago.”

It’s in the link you posted.

According to the detailed research that’s now come out, it’s varying a lot in different parts of the country, with London being the lowest at the moment (it’s about 0.4 apparently) which you’d expect as we have been ahead of the curve foe the rest of the UK. We were worse, earlier, and so will be better earlier (people here effectively self imposed lockdown a week or so before actual lockdown happened).
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:00 - May 15 with 2258 viewsdickythorpe

Well fingers crossed we can stop the rate rising but I think bojo has fúcked that right up.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:03 - May 15 with 2234 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:00 - May 15 by dickythorpe

Well fingers crossed we can stop the rate rising but I think bojo has fúcked that right up.

It’s a balance though between the infection rate rising and us getting back to some semblance of normal. Germany saw it rise a little then it’s started falling again, and they’ve some freedom at least.

This is killing people - this lockdown I mean. We can’t lose sight of that.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:05 - May 15 with 2234 viewsdickythorpe

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:03 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

It’s a balance though between the infection rate rising and us getting back to some semblance of normal. Germany saw it rise a little then it’s started falling again, and they’ve some freedom at least.

This is killing people - this lockdown I mean. We can’t lose sight of that.

Spreading the infection by allowing people to travel anywhere they want within England won't be too helpful either to decreasing the death rate.
Login to get fewer ads

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:06 - May 15 with 2231 viewsDr_Winston

Wouldn't the increased amount of testing also lead to a rise in the number as more cases come to light?

A rise in the R number is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not a meteoric rise. The virus is bound to spread more as more social interaction takes place. If it remains controlled then it should be OK.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:12 - May 15 with 2215 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:05 - May 15 by dickythorpe

Spreading the infection by allowing people to travel anywhere they want within England won't be too helpful either to decreasing the death rate.

But it’s not spreading it.

The howls of protest have been against Londoners going to the countryside. It turns out (we knew this but it’s now been confirmed) that London has the lowest rate of infection of anywhere in the UK. By quite some way.

They’re saying we won’t have the virus within about 3 weeks. So if we go to the seaside, we’re actually less likely to be taking it there than we are of bringing it back with us...And so many of us have had it (so they say) that we won’t do that either.

The reality is that we’re not going anywhere. It’s all very well saying I can drive to the Lake District. But where the f*** am I supposed to have a pee? Or stop for a drink or food? It’s nonsense.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:20 - May 15 with 2200 viewsSoberBaker

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:06 - May 15 by Dr_Winston

Wouldn't the increased amount of testing also lead to a rise in the number as more cases come to light?

A rise in the R number is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not a meteoric rise. The virus is bound to spread more as more social interaction takes place. If it remains controlled then it should be OK.

Being slow out of the blocks and letting our herd copping a load of this virus during the first phase may well go down in history as being a masterstroke.
Maybe the ones that have "done well" during the first phase get annihilated in the second round as their immune systems are weaker than ours?

Like you say, if they can keep the taps open/adjusted enough to have a steady R number, I reckon the NHS will cope.

Time will tell.

*grasps straws*

AMOW

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:33 - May 15 with 2175 viewsDr_Winston

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:20 - May 15 by SoberBaker

Being slow out of the blocks and letting our herd copping a load of this virus during the first phase may well go down in history as being a masterstroke.
Maybe the ones that have "done well" during the first phase get annihilated in the second round as their immune systems are weaker than ours?

Like you say, if they can keep the taps open/adjusted enough to have a steady R number, I reckon the NHS will cope.

Time will tell.

*grasps straws*

Basically what the Swedes have done. Protect the most vulnerable and let everyone else get on with it within reason. Eventually enough people will get it and it can't spread any more.

Their mistake was not locking down the care homes soon enough, which is what they've admitted. Similar to us by the sounds of it, with the UK having the added issue of a much, much larger BAME population.

Antibody tests will tell the tale. Hopefully we've seen a big exposure already.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:38 - May 15 with 2164 viewsSwanjaxs

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:44 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

“ The latest analysis takes account of the spread of coronavirus in care homes, hospitals and more widely in society.
As the figures are based on patients ending up in hospital, they actually give a sense of the R-number from around three weeks ago.”

According to the detailed research that’s now come out, it’s varying a lot in different parts of the country, with London being the lowest at the moment (it’s about 0.4 apparently) which you’d expect as we have been ahead of the curve foe the rest of the UK. We were worse, earlier, and so will be better earlier (people here effectively self imposed lockdown a week or so before actual lockdown happened).

Only 24 new cases recorded in London yesterday.

The North East is of concern now with over 4,000 yesterday alone

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:40 - May 15 with 2153 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:38 - May 15 by Swanjaxs

Only 24 new cases recorded in London yesterday.

The North East is of concern now with over 4,000 yesterday alone

The 24 was actually from a few days ago. They think it’s something like 10 now, if that.

I’m still not banking on it though. Hope all ok with you and yours now.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:43 - May 15 with 2153 viewsdickythorpe

"But it’s not spreading it."

That's one hell of a statement Lisa.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:43 - May 15 with 2152 viewswestwalesed

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 18:44 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

Completely concur with this - the peak is now on us in Pembrokeshire with Hywel Dda feeling the strain.

I'm not a naive person, I'm critical and cynical in temperament, but the failure of the Media to report clearly and accurately what is going on has been shocking to see.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:45 - May 15 with 2142 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:43 - May 15 by dickythorpe

"But it’s not spreading it."

That's one hell of a statement Lisa.

Sorry, but why on earth would you remove the context that I put round that statement ?
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:46 - May 15 with 2141 viewsSwanjaxs

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:40 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

The 24 was actually from a few days ago. They think it’s something like 10 now, if that.

I’m still not banking on it though. Hope all ok with you and yours now.

Yes all OK now ta, my son who in NHS managed to test positive a few weeks ago, he's back in work now though.

The two weeks self isolation for myself, wife and other son was tough going but we managed to dodge it.

My son basically only came out of his bedroom to use the loo and only with a mask and disposable gloves on.

Everything and everyone got scrubbed to within an inch of it's life lol.

Thank god for a fully enclosed back garden. 😃

Hope all is well with you

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:50 - May 15 with 2127 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:46 - May 15 by Swanjaxs

Yes all OK now ta, my son who in NHS managed to test positive a few weeks ago, he's back in work now though.

The two weeks self isolation for myself, wife and other son was tough going but we managed to dodge it.

My son basically only came out of his bedroom to use the loo and only with a mask and disposable gloves on.

Everything and everyone got scrubbed to within an inch of it's life lol.

Thank god for a fully enclosed back garden. 😃

Hope all is well with you

Glad to hear your boy is ok now and fantastic news you managed to avoid it.

Agree about the garden. I’ve friends in flats with no garden or even balcony and it’s bloody hard going.

Take care.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 20:25 - May 15 with 2064 viewsdickythorpe

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 19:45 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

Sorry, but why on earth would you remove the context that I put round that statement ?

Because you are talking rubbish. It also was your first response to my post that alluded to driving around wherever you want in England will spread the disease.

How "on earth" can you say that it won't spread?
[Post edited 15 May 2020 20:28]
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 20:31 - May 15 with 2039 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 20:25 - May 15 by dickythorpe

Because you are talking rubbish. It also was your first response to my post that alluded to driving around wherever you want in England will spread the disease.

How "on earth" can you say that it won't spread?
[Post edited 15 May 2020 20:28]

Whatever. I can’t be bothered.

Do let me know when I can use my ‘English‘ billing address to do an online food order for anyone living in Wales won’t you.
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 20:33 - May 15 with 2023 viewsdickythorpe

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 20:31 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

Whatever. I can’t be bothered.

Do let me know when I can use my ‘English‘ billing address to do an online food order for anyone living in Wales won’t you.

Good one Lisa. Maybe you need to come down here instead of commenting in your ivory towers up there in Covid spreading land.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 20:35]
Who'd have thunk this would happen on 20:43 - May 15 with 1996 viewslondonlisa2001

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 20:33 - May 15 by dickythorpe

Good one Lisa. Maybe you need to come down here instead of commenting in your ivory towers up there in Covid spreading land.

Ivory tower?

Wow.

Yeah, I can only imagine how unsafe I’d feel if I moved from London to Pembrokeshire.
Who'd have thunk this would happen on 21:22 - May 15 with 1935 viewsdickythorpe

Who'd have thunk this would happen on 20:43 - May 15 by londonlisa2001

Ivory tower?

Wow.

Yeah, I can only imagine how unsafe I’d feel if I moved from London to Pembrokeshire.

You'd be fine Lisa. Why so negative about West Wales?
Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 22:02 - May 15 with 1880 viewssainthelens

Who'd have thunk this would happen? on 20:33 - May 15 by dickythorpe

Jesus wept, we've turned into fckn Tinder.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024