Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standing on a terrace in the rain 22:15 - Jan 5 with 5840 viewsThe_Beast1976

Anyone remember when this was a regular occurrence? Remember getting absolutely soaked in the corner pen of the terrace at Palace away in the early 90s. Finished 2-2 I think. Great times
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 22:16]
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 22:19 - Jan 5 with 3576 views2Thomas2Bowles

If I remember it right the LC S/f 77 at Villa 2-2 it pissed down
[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 22:20]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 22:20 - Jan 5 with 3575 viewsterryb

The wettest I ever got was on the clock end at Highbury in August1969.

It was possibly the hottest day of the year & we were losing 2-1 (Alan Wilkes came on as sub & scored with his first touch) with about 20 minutes left. The heavens opened!

I don't think we would have been any wetter if we had been thrown in a swimming pool!
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 22:24 - Jan 5 with 3560 viewsstowmarketrange

That fa cup game against Barnsley(?)a few years ago was very wet.The ref wouldn’t even let the players out for the 2nd half until it had eased off a bit.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 22:47 - Jan 5 with 3502 viewsDevonWhite

The 4-2 at Chesterfield in the sleet was a memorable one.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 22:55 - Jan 5 with 3490 viewsted_hendrix

County ground at Swindon no roof never has been nor will it ever get put on, we got absolutely drenched all through the game, the only roof covering for visiting fans is in the main stand in the corner 300 seated tickets, was meant to meet up with one of the posters on here but he never showed up, two days after the game he got in touch and told me he'd been nicked outside the ground just before KO.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:18 - Jan 5 with 3467 viewscharmr

How about standing on the coldest terrace

Huddersfield away FA Cup early 80’s, pre Mcalpine, lost as well

[Post edited 5 Jan 2021 23:22]
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:20 - Jan 5 with 3456 viewsBrixtonR

Oxford Away 3-3 1986
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:21 - Jan 5 with 3458 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:18 - Jan 5 by charmr

Wasn't at that one, charmr, but Boundary Park was always brass monkeys.

As for rain - The Loft when we did Arsenal 2-0 in the cup was a glorious deluge.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:23 - Jan 5 with 3439 viewsted_hendrix

Oldham away first away game of the season on a Saturday afternoon in August, ridiculous I know but it was truly bloody freezing.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:24 - Jan 5 with 3439 viewscharmr

Leeds fans joined us on the terraces that day at Huddersfield, to be fair they were sound. Hated Huddersfield more then Londoners.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:58 - Jan 5 with 3398 viewsBrixtonR

Charlton Away in the League Cup 1986-87
4.5K Packed in the corner of Sh ite hurst dump ( 3.5K TheGreenwich Mercury)
Rain was coming down so much the floodlights failed. We didn't stop singing when the lights were off briiliant non fkn stop can remember loads of us surging down to the Arthur Wake chanting BMOB where are you BMOB where are you lol.
Once the Floodlights came on we didn't have a shot were absolutly fkn useless , no singing, no shots no football no nothing no future no hope i.e typical fkn QPR. And then I went back the next week
But we were there and the thing is........

[Post edited 6 Jan 2021 0:04]
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 00:03 - Jan 6 with 3387 viewsJuzzie

Southampton away (The Dell) mid 80’s.
Evening game, open terrace and i had no umbrella, hat, raincoat or anything that would keep me remotely dry.
Bannister won a penalty as a through ball got slowed down in the mud giving him an advantage to get to it first but got taken down.

I cant even remember if we won or lost. I think we won.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 01:08 - Jan 6 with 3335 viewsBrixtonR

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 00:03 - Jan 6 by Juzzie

Southampton away (The Dell) mid 80’s.
Evening game, open terrace and i had no umbrella, hat, raincoat or anything that would keep me remotely dry.
Bannister won a penalty as a through ball got slowed down in the mud giving him an advantage to get to it first but got taken down.

I cant even remember if we won or lost. I think we won.

Fair play we drew mate.
Most ever rain I've ever seen without a hood or umbrella. I think that was Nov 1984 and a night game, I cashed in my young person's railcard voucher which held me up for various reasons so was running well late. I was barely 16 but still vividly remember being totally alone on the train. Loving the excitement of looking out the window at the darkness, light, and incessant rain sitting on the train from Waterloo to Southampton. Was wearing a wicked Gee2 coat that night.
I got there late, like really late,not long before half time, still 0-0 though by the time I was in, proper proper hammering it down, I remember from the station to the ground.
I was totally soaked,
Ended up in the bench seats to the right of the terrace and we drew 1-1.
We then drew 0-0 at home won the toss and then beat them 4-0
Getting back to Waterloo as a barely 16 year old and very late night/ early morning 1984, Some weird bloke on the station offered to take me home, but luckily a proper black cab driver steamed in fkd the weirdo off and took me home.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 01:13 - Jan 6 with 3335 viewsPeterHucker

2 very cold games that spring to mind, both on Boxing Day......

Portsmouth away late 90s, no sides or roof on that away stand and a freezing wind whipping in off the Solent. I think it was 0-0 or else we lost.

Notts County away Boxing Day 2003 (promotion year).
Late Kevin Gallen equaliser got us a 3-3 draw.
I remember having to sit in the car with the heater on for half an hour after the match because I couldn't feel my feet touching the pedals!!
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 01:25 - Jan 6 with 3329 viewsLoftgirl

I was there for that. I don't think I have ever been so cold before or since. I had to sit in the car thawing out before I could even drive home.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 02:11 - Jan 6 with 3305 viewsLoftgirl

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 23:21 - Jan 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Wasn't at that one, charmr, but Boundary Park was always brass monkeys.

As for rain - The Loft when we did Arsenal 2-0 in the cup was a glorious deluge.

Wasn't that the one where Kenny Sansom scored a belter?
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 04:12 - Jan 6 with 3262 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 02:11 - Jan 6 by Loftgirl

Wasn't that the one where Kenny Sansom scored a belter?

Yes a great night against a formidable Arsenal team.
Great goal by Sansom and Sinton near the end.
Wegerle was immense.
Our support was terrific.

Cheers

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/38016/kenny-sansom
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 06:56 - Jan 6 with 3208 viewsHantsR

Yes, remember very well one of my first ever visits to Loftus Road v Millwall in 1967. I've mentioned it here before but my mate and I were standing in the open SAR terrace behind two sisters from East Acton. As it got wetter and wetter, we all got cosier and they ended up being very friendly, sheltered under our coats. We ended up driving them home to their place and going out with them the next day. It was a good day out but my mate decided it could go no further.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 07:18 - Jan 6 with 3181 viewsdistortR

didn't AKUTR's Dave come down with pneumonia after a trip to Boundary Park?
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 07:34 - Jan 6 with 3161 viewsWatford_Ranger

Relatively recently that golf stand they used as an away end at Bloomfield Road was grim. Think we lost 1-0 with Shittu making a bad error for the goal.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 08:31 - Jan 6 with 3105 viewsDannyPaddox

Burnden Park. Cold winter night. Torrential rain thuds off Bovril. There’s a Haiku - almost. Early 80s getting drenched in the dark in a big old uncovered terrace. Friday night - unusual back then. Would’ve been a specific reason to play on a Friday - maybe clashed with a local Cup Tie on the Saturday so probably January or February which would make it ‘81 as it was an early ‘Venables in charge‘ game. Good away win 2-1. I’m sure Flanagan scored from the half-way line on his debut. Don’t hear much about that one. Maybe I Imagined it. Can’t remember who the Bolton keeper was but I offered him the last of my rain-watery shít-coloured Bovril. No response. I guess he was busy.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 08:36 - Jan 6 with 3092 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Oldham for me as well. 15 Mar 2003.

'kin 'ell that was cold.

I know it was that one as I went there twice in one season.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 10:32 - Jan 6 with 2968 viewsloftboy

Charlton away at selhurst park 1987, bright sunshine beforehand, left coat in car, walked through the turnstiles and a monsoon hit, soaked through to skin.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 10:38 - Jan 6 with 2955 viewsJuzzie

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 01:08 - Jan 6 by BrixtonR

Fair play we drew mate.
Most ever rain I've ever seen without a hood or umbrella. I think that was Nov 1984 and a night game, I cashed in my young person's railcard voucher which held me up for various reasons so was running well late. I was barely 16 but still vividly remember being totally alone on the train. Loving the excitement of looking out the window at the darkness, light, and incessant rain sitting on the train from Waterloo to Southampton. Was wearing a wicked Gee2 coat that night.
I got there late, like really late,not long before half time, still 0-0 though by the time I was in, proper proper hammering it down, I remember from the station to the ground.
I was totally soaked,
Ended up in the bench seats to the right of the terrace and we drew 1-1.
We then drew 0-0 at home won the toss and then beat them 4-0
Getting back to Waterloo as a barely 16 year old and very late night/ early morning 1984, Some weird bloke on the station offered to take me home, but luckily a proper black cab driver steamed in fkd the weirdo off and took me home.

Ah yes, that's right. League Cup game.

I was a couple of years older than you and I remember the Southampton fans singing "Does your mother know you're here?!".

I turned around to my mate and said "mine doesn't".

Suffice to say I got a right bollocking the next day.
Standing on a terrace in the rain on 10:41 - Jan 6 with 2942 viewsMick_S

Standing on a terrace in the rain on 10:32 - Jan 6 by loftboy

Charlton away at selhurst park 1987, bright sunshine beforehand, left coat in car, walked through the turnstiles and a monsoon hit, soaked through to skin.

I did something similar clothes wise Derby away sometime around 1979? Sunny London weather, but when we got to Derby I thought I was going to die of coldness. Spent my last 10p on a Bovril, got run after the game, tripped palms down onto t' gritty cobbles, got on the special and it had been bricked and the poxy heating was broken.

Got a nice newspaper programme though.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024