Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sporting director 15:44 - Feb 17 with 21872 viewsfitzochris

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Sporting director on 15:48 - Feb 17 with 7303 viewsIOMDale

Reading between the lines, I'd take this as confirmation that BBM is going nowhere and that the club are looking to assist him.

In which case - even though I was losing faith - he's got my full support. No point pissing in the wind when we have a relegation battle ahead of us.

UTDNFS

Sporting director on 15:53 - Feb 17 with 7250 views442Dale

Going slightly off at a tangent, but with things like this in mind, in their December newsletter (don’t appear to have had a January one, anyone else?) the Trust said they were in contact with the club about sorting a Fans Forum. So, two months later as these changes continue to occur, any chance of this being confirmed so we can actually get some proper insight into what is going on at the club. Much as we got so effectively at last year’s forum.

Can the Trust please advise on this, in public via their website, as soon as possible.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Sporting director on 15:53 - Feb 17 with 7246 viewsjudd

Sporting director on 15:48 - Feb 17 by IOMDale

Reading between the lines, I'd take this as confirmation that BBM is going nowhere and that the club are looking to assist him.

In which case - even though I was losing faith - he's got my full support. No point pissing in the wind when we have a relegation battle ahead of us.

Is a Sporting Director the one who teaches handshakes?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Sporting director on 15:54 - Feb 17 with 7233 viewsIOMDale

Sporting director on 15:53 - Feb 17 by judd

Is a Sporting Director the one who teaches handshakes?

Well post-COVID, everybody will have to learn how to handshake again so it does make sense.

UTDNFS

Sporting director on 15:57 - Feb 17 with 7200 viewsdale_spotland

I’ll be honest I thought the exact opposite, I see this as BBM will be here until summer and won’t be offered a new contract and the club want a director of football in place before then to look at the squad etc and have his hand in the appointment of the new manager.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

Sporting director on 16:10 - Feb 17 with 7087 viewsDaleFan7

Sporting director on 15:57 - Feb 17 by dale_spotland

I’ll be honest I thought the exact opposite, I see this as BBM will be here until summer and won’t be offered a new contract and the club want a director of football in place before then to look at the squad etc and have his hand in the appointment of the new manager.

I'd be inclined to think this way, too. Isn't a Director of Football's job to look at the squad and sign players etc rather than tactics and match day stuff.

BBM has proven he has an eye for a decent signing as we have had some good players brought in by him. If he needs help its from an experienced coach that knows how to get a team to be able to attack/defend at he same time, not just have one or the other during a match.

This to me seems like they'll offer him a lesser role in the summer, even possibly assistant manager to someone more experienced coming in.
Sporting director on 16:12 - Feb 17 with 7073 viewsTVOS1907

Although, the advert says the 'First Team manager', which surely means whomever that is.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/february/vacancy_sporting-director/

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Sporting director on 16:13 - Feb 17 with 7071 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Farcical. Yet more money the club can’t afford.
Login to get fewer ads

Sporting director on 16:16 - Feb 17 with 7054 viewsDalenet

I won't speculate as to the plan. The new recruit won't be here for weeks, if not months. We need to at least back BBM now. We have to avoid the drop. Then the club can take stock over summer wherever we end up. But this did surprise me. Good to hear that the Board know a hand is needed, but they clearly have little appetite or confidence in their own ability to hire and fire to fix it.
Sporting director on 16:24 - Feb 17 with 6986 viewssurb_dale

Sounds a perfect position for BBM as we know his strengths is picking a player. Maybe he should apply and then we can appoint a new first team coach that can mould the current squad into a decent team unit.
Sporting director on 16:31 - Feb 17 with 6928 viewsJames1980

Sporting director on 16:24 - Feb 17 by surb_dale

Sounds a perfect position for BBM as we know his strengths is picking a player. Maybe he should apply and then we can appoint a new first team coach that can mould the current squad into a decent team unit.

Was thinking the same thing. Although might we also recruit internally for BBM's replacement and get the promoted person's replacement from elsewhere to save money.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Sporting director on 16:37 - Feb 17 with 6886 views442Dale

Sporting director on 16:31 - Feb 17 by James1980

Was thinking the same thing. Although might we also recruit internally for BBM's replacement and get the promoted person's replacement from elsewhere to save money.

If they did also look internally, it’s bound to be kept quiet if some didn’t get it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Sporting director on 16:38 - Feb 17 with 6876 viewsoddjob007

WiIl be interesting to see what this person's exact role is.

Usually they oversee transfers, but I've largely been quite impressed with BBM's signings (Dooley and Bola aside), so assuming this is more of a 'mentor' role, and to oversee the youth side of things?
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 16:40]
Sporting director on 16:43 - Feb 17 with 6827 viewsBrierls

Sporting director on 16:24 - Feb 17 by surb_dale

I also thought this looks like a perfect role for BBM!
Sporting director on 16:44 - Feb 17 with 6827 viewsJames1980

Sporting director on 16:37 - Feb 17 by 442Dale

If they did also look internally, it’s bound to be kept quiet if some didn’t get it.

One of the responses to the tweet was about the potential investors plan to put a sporting director in to the club. Got me thinking are all the off field appointments and this one with a view to going back to Mr Altman and asking him and the other investors to make another offer.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Sporting director on 16:46 - Feb 17 with 6815 viewsIgnatius_Sancho

I think this is an excellent idea and it looks as though the Board are really trying to give the manager every ounce of support. I think he's one of the brightest managerial prospects in the game today and I really hope he can achieve his success with RAFC.

He is totally focused and committed to the task in hand and these players have great faith in him. The spirit amongst them is massive and that's obvious during games.

I'm sure there will be many applications received for this job from some very experienced and well-qualified candidates.

A very positive move and one that gives me much encouragement.
Sporting director on 16:48 - Feb 17 with 6797 viewsoddjob007

Sporting director on 16:46 - Feb 17 by Ignatius_Sancho

I think this is an excellent idea and it looks as though the Board are really trying to give the manager every ounce of support. I think he's one of the brightest managerial prospects in the game today and I really hope he can achieve his success with RAFC.

He is totally focused and committed to the task in hand and these players have great faith in him. The spirit amongst them is massive and that's obvious during games.

I'm sure there will be many applications received for this job from some very experienced and well-qualified candidates.

Brian, or Sarah Jane (!), is that you?
Sporting director on 16:48 - Feb 17 with 6788 viewsjudd

Thanks Brian.

Sporting director on 16:57 - Feb 17 with 6731 viewsQuigley_dale

Interesting choice of username Sarah!
Sporting director on 17:00 - Feb 17 with 6703 viewsdale1968

Personally glad and I think whoever comes in will bring a wealth of knowledge,experience and contacts within the game to benefit BBM and RAFC in general.
Good move by the board to support rather than sack.Yes things are very rocky at the moment but there is still a lot of football to be played and I can see us having enough to be safe.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Sporting director on 17:02 - Feb 17 with 6698 viewsDalenet

Sporting director on 16:38 - Feb 17 by oddjob007

WiIl be interesting to see what this person's exact role is.

Usually they oversee transfers, but I've largely been quite impressed with BBM's signings (Dooley and Bola aside), so assuming this is more of a 'mentor' role, and to oversee the youth side of things?
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 16:40]

The job description is posted on the OS. If I was the first team manager I would be furious - although the first team manager won't report to this post holder. At no point does the Job description imply that they will act as mentor to the first or Academy coaches - but you will oversee the performance of the teams. Interestingly the role doesn't ask that you have experience of managing a League football club

Reminds me of the old joke about the Oxford Rowing team. Every time they lost they replaced an oarsman with an additional cox. They repeated the exercise until they eventually had 7 coxes and just two rowers. They still lost.
Sporting director on 17:02 - Feb 17 with 6695 viewsDaleiLama

Sporting director on 16:48 - Feb 17 by oddjob007

Brian, or Sarah Jane (!), is that you?

Got to say that the gushing post, SJC's general Twitter content and the choice of an abolitionist as a handle all seems to suggest those stars were aligning uncannily and forming a trail of breadcumbs to your conclusion (and mine), but looking at IS's other posts, I think it is just coincidental.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Sporting director on 17:06 - Feb 17 with 6661 viewsfunkkk

What on earth is going on with this club of ours.
Sporting director on 17:12 - Feb 17 with 6626 viewsIOMDale

Sporting director on 17:06 - Feb 17 by funkkk

What on earth is going on with this club of ours.

Remember the five year plan? Well, football-wise, the club seems to be treading water at best but administratively, we’ll be challenging for the Premier League title in a couple of years.

UTDNFS

Sporting director on 17:13 - Feb 17 with 6605 viewsjudd

Apparently the new Sporting Director will be given the task of signing a Unicorn, as the chances of getting a left back are fookin zilch.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024