Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals 22:48 - Apr 14 with 2261 viewswessex_exile

So this weeks' second leg fixtures have finished:
Chelsea 0 FC Porto 1 - Chelsea progress, despite losing at home to FC Porto tonight
Paris Saint Germain 0 Bayern Munich 1 - Likewise PSG through, on the away goals rule
Borussia Dortmund 1 Man City 2 - Man City ease into the semi-finals 4-2 on aggregate
Liverpool 0 Real Madrid 0 - Real Madrid shut out Liverpool for the 4th semi-final place

Group 1

It really couldn't have been much closer, but with Man City's result spot-on, and the Bayern Munich victory as an outcome, concordman storms to the top of the group on six points. The race for second place couldn't have been closer, with the rest of us all finishing on four points. However, it's the wooden spoon for wessex_exile (☹), with Sector4 and ghughes11 going into a tie-break for second place, both with a first leg spot-on each (Man City's home win and Chelsea's away win respectively).

Group 2

This one was a bit more clear cut, with U'sual Champions League giant mfb_cufc storming to the top of the table on seven points, getting the Man City result spot-on, backed up by Bayern Munich's away win outcome. Daniel holds on to second place, getting Man City's away win as an outcome. Commiserations to both unitedwhites and durham_exile who both drew blanks in the second legs.

Tie-break
The tie-break question for Sector4 and ghughes11 is how many goals will be scored in League 2 on Saturday. As a reminder, because of rescheduling to avoid clashing with Prince Philip's funeral, there are now only 11 games on Saturday (Crawley Town v Cheltenham Town will be played on Friday night, and thus won't count). You can post your predictions here, or PM me, either is fine, but please remember that these must be received before the earlier 1230 kick-offs. You can't have the same prediction as your opponent, and in this instance if you are equal closest to the correct total, first to post will win.

Once the tie-break is resolved, I will draw the semi-final opponents from a hat and post prediction requirements.

Congratulations to those already through, and commiserations to those who leave the competition now.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:33 - Apr 14 with 1732 viewsdurham_exile

Congratulation Mick and Daniel.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:46 - Apr 14 with 1733 viewsghughes11

Ifs and buts from me. If I hadn't have missed the first 2 games, I could have gained an extra point I'm sure.

However, luck was on my side when Wessex asked me to change my score for the Chelsea game which I matched correctly!

On to the tie break then.............

Good luck Sector4.

I'm going to guess 33.

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 11:50 - Apr 15 with 1706 viewsSector4

Thanks ghughes11 . I will go with 32.
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 16:18 - Apr 17 with 1643 viewswessex_exile

Twenty-two goals scored so far in the 10 early kick-off matches, so barring a veritable goalfest this evening, Sector4 looks nailed on to win the tie-break. No disrespect Sector4, but I'm sure even you would love to see the U's win 11-0...

...or even 6-5?

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 20:59 - Apr 17 with 1628 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 16:18 - Apr 17 by wessex_exile

Twenty-two goals scored so far in the 10 early kick-off matches, so barring a veritable goalfest this evening, Sector4 looks nailed on to win the tie-break. No disrespect Sector4, but I'm sure even you would love to see the U's win 11-0...

...or even 6-5?

With the chances that both teams had, particularly the U's, it could have been much closer, but the official confirmation is that with 25 goals scored in today's matches, Sector4 wins the tie-break against ghughes11 and progresses to the semi-finals.

Congratulations to Sector4, who joins concordman, mfb_cufc and Daniel in the semi-finals, and commiserations to ghughes11.

The semi-finals start on Tuesday 27th April, and I will post prediction requirements in due course.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 19:02 - Apr 24 with 1587 viewswessex_exile

In the context of what's gone on in recent days, this kinda feels somewhat distasteful, but here we go for the (current format) Champions League semi-finals.

The Draw
Names have been drawn from a hat (bowl actually), and the U'sual Champions League semi-final matches are as follows:

Sector4 v concordman
Daniel v mfb_cufc

The Matches
The matches to predict, and all are scheduled to kick-off at 8pm, are as follows:
27/04/2021: Real Madrid v Chelsea
28/04/2021: Paris Saint Germain v Manchester City
04/05/2021: Manchester City v Paris Saint Germain
05/05/2021: Chelsea v Real Madrid

The Rules
Keeping with the format for last year, in addition to score predictions, please predict two goal-scorers as well. Three points for a spot-on prediction, one point for the correct outcome, and one point for each goal scored (including own goals) by either of your nominated goal-scorers.

If competitors can't be separated by number of spot-ons, for the tie-break please also predict the minute of the first substitution in the last listed match, Chelsea v Real Madrid. Your tie-break prediction must be made before that match kicks off.

As always, half-time subs are 46th minute, and injury-time substitutions will be either 45 or 90 minutes. If there are no substitutions at all, closest to zero will win.

None of your predictions (score, goal-scorers or tie-break) can match your opponents.

Score, goal-scorer and substitute tie-break predictions will be for the end of normal time, extra-time and/or penalties will not count.

Good luck everyone!

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 19:12 - Apr 24 with 1579 viewsSector4

Real Madrid 2 Chelsea 0
Benzema jorginho
PSG 2 Manchester city 1
Mbappe sterling
Man city 1 PSG 1
Mbappe foden
Chelsea 2 real Madrid 1
Mount benzema
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 21:12 - Apr 24 with 1570 viewsconcordman

Real Madrid 1 Chelsea 0
Vinicius Werner
PSG 1 Manchester city 2
Neymar Foden
Man city 2 PSG 1
Neymar Sterling
Chelsea 1 real Madrid 0
Werner Vinicius
Login to get fewer ads

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 21:49 - Apr 24 with 1567 viewswessex_exile

Both good Sector4 and concordman - Semi-final 1 predictions are now complete. Don't forget I'll need your tie-break predictions before the second leg kick-off.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:07 - Apr 24 with 1559 viewsDaniel

I'm assuming that it's still OK to predict the second leg after the first leg, so predictions so far are...

27/04/2021: Real Madrid v Chelsea 1-0, Benzema & Mount
28/04/2021: Paris Saint Germain v Manchester City 1-2, Mbappe & De Bruyne

Tiebreaker 46 minutes
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:27 - Apr 24 with 1556 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:07 - Apr 24 by Daniel

I'm assuming that it's still OK to predict the second leg after the first leg, so predictions so far are...

27/04/2021: Real Madrid v Chelsea 1-0, Benzema & Mount
28/04/2021: Paris Saint Germain v Manchester City 1-2, Mbappe & De Bruyne

Tiebreaker 46 minutes

Absolutely - all good!

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 10:47 - Apr 27 with 1519 viewsmfb_cufc

27/04/2021: Real Madrid 2 (Vinicius) Chelsea 0 (Werner)
28/04/2021: Paris Saint Germain 0 (Neymar) Manchester City 1 (Gundogan)

mfb

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 16:49 - Apr 27 with 1516 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 10:47 - Apr 27 by mfb_cufc

27/04/2021: Real Madrid 2 (Vinicius) Chelsea 0 (Werner)
28/04/2021: Paris Saint Germain 0 (Neymar) Manchester City 1 (Gundogan)

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 22:01 - Apr 27 with 1505 viewswessex_exile

I'll do a full update tomorrow after the second semi-final, but tonight has finished:

Real Madrid 1 Chelsea 1

Probably good news for Chelsea with the away goal, less good news for our UCL competitors.

With everyone predicting a home win for Real Madrid, the only points this evening go courtesy of Benzema's 29th minute equaliser for Real, to give Sector4 and Daniel a slender 1 point lead over concordman and mfb_cufc in their respective semi-finals.

Still wide open, good luck everyone over the next three matches. Just as a reminder for those yet to post their tie-break prediction, to count these must be made before kick-off for the last match (Chelsea v Real Madrid on 5th May).

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 21:48 - Apr 28 with 1483 viewsmfb_cufc

04/05/2021: Manchester City 2 (Foden) Paris Saint Germain 1 (Mbappe)
05/05/2021: Chelsea 1 (Mount) Real Madrid 0 (Benzema)

Tie-break 47 minutes
[Post edited 3 May 2021 23:29]

mfb

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:01 - Apr 28 with 1474 viewswessex_exile

The second semi-final first leg has finished:

Paris Saint Germain 1 (Marquinhos 15') Manchester City 2 (Be Bruyne 64'; Mahrez 71')
Man City come back from going behind to take a strong lead into the second leg, winning 2-1 at PSG, but they might be ruing not taking better advantage after PSG had Gueye sent off in the 77th minute.

At the halfway stage, the UCL placings are as follows:

Semi-final 1
Despite Sector4 taking an early lead last night with Benzema as goalscorer for a point, tonight turned out to be a barren source of amusement for him. By contrast, although there were no goalscorer bonuses, concordman leads at the halfway stage, getting the Man City away victory spot-on for 3pts.

Semi-final 2
Daniel had already eased into the lead after yesterday's match, again with Benzema as a goalscorer, and significantly consolidated that lead tonight with not only the Man City result spot-on, but with De Bruyne as another correct goalscorer to lead with 5pts. mfb_cufc does well to keep in touch, getting the Man City away win as an outcome, but misses out on any goalscorer bonuses to stay on 1pt. However, he's gone early on his second-leg predictions, which might still give him an advantage.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 20:28 - May 3 with 1411 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:01 - Apr 28 by wessex_exile

The second semi-final first leg has finished:

Paris Saint Germain 1 (Marquinhos 15') Manchester City 2 (Be Bruyne 64'; Mahrez 71')
Man City come back from going behind to take a strong lead into the second leg, winning 2-1 at PSG, but they might be ruing not taking better advantage after PSG had Gueye sent off in the 77th minute.

At the halfway stage, the UCL placings are as follows:

Semi-final 1
Despite Sector4 taking an early lead last night with Benzema as goalscorer for a point, tonight turned out to be a barren source of amusement for him. By contrast, although there were no goalscorer bonuses, concordman leads at the halfway stage, getting the Man City away victory spot-on for 3pts.

Semi-final 2
Daniel had already eased into the lead after yesterday's match, again with Benzema as a goalscorer, and significantly consolidated that lead tonight with not only the Man City result spot-on, but with De Bruyne as another correct goalscorer to lead with 5pts. mfb_cufc does well to keep in touch, getting the Man City away win as an outcome, but misses out on any goalscorer bonuses to stay on 1pt. However, he's gone early on his second-leg predictions, which might still give him an advantage.

Just a bump to remind Daniel that the first of the second legs kick-off tomorrow at 8pm, and to everyone else your tie-break predictions are needed before Wednesday's final 8pm kick-off.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 23:05 - May 3 with 1405 viewsDaniel

04/05/2021: Manchester City v Paris Saint Germain 1-0, De Bruyne & Neymar
05/05/2021: Chelsea v Real Madrid 2-1, Abraham & Mariano
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 02:46 - May 4 with 1387 viewsconcordman

First substitute in 58th minute
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 10:00 - May 4 with 1380 viewsSector4

Tie break substitution time 57th minute
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 10:35 - May 4 with 1376 viewswessex_exile

Cheers everyone, all noted and safely logged.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 19:46 - May 5 with 1336 viewsDaniel

If my maths is correct, I'm in the final unless Mason Mount scores 4 goals this evening.
U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 11:14 - May 6 with 1306 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 19:46 - May 5 by Daniel

If my maths is correct, I'm in the final unless Mason Mount scores 4 goals this evening.

I think there might have been other possible combinations, but that was certainly one of them.

Anyway, to round up the U'sual Champions League semi-finals, following yesterday evening's result, first off the second legs have finished as follows:

Manchester City 2 Paris Saint Germain 0 - Man City go through to the final comfortably, winning 4-1 on aggregate.
Chelsea 2 Real Madrid 0 - to be honest, it wasn't that much harder for Chelsea against Real Madrid, winning 3-1 on aggregate.

This sets up an all-English Champions League final, the third such occasion in the history of the competition in its various guises - the first was Manchester United 1 Chelsea 1 in 2007/08 (Man U won on penalties), and the second just recently, Liverpool 2 Tottenham Hotspur 0 in 2018/19.

U'sual Champions League Semi-Final Table

Semi-final 1 - Sector4 3 concordman 6
In the first legs, concordman had taken a significant lead getting the PSG v Man City result spot-on. It turned out to be a lead he didn't relinquish during the second legs, getting both home win outcomes, and a goal-scorer bonus for Werner's opening goal last night, to finish on 6 points. Sector4 missed out on scoring on Tuesday, which ultimately was probably the reason he couldn't close the gap, to finish second on 3 points - had Real Madrid snatched a consolation goal last night, that would have made things very interesting.

Semi-final 2 - Daniel 7 mfb_cufc 4
As Daniel had calculated, it was going to take something very special for mfb_cufc to come from behind, particularly after Daniel scored a whopping five points in the first legs. Both semi-finalists scored points for the correct outcomes in the second-legs, and mfb_cufc did well to also pick up a goal-scorer bonus for Mount's late second for Chelsea last night (even if it did rob him of a 3 point spot-on in the process). But to no avail, and Daniel goes through on 7 points, with mfb_cufc second on 4 points.

Congratulations to concordman and Daniel for getting through to the final, and commiserations to both Sector4 and mfb_cufc for going so close.

Prediction requirements for the final and 3rd-place play-off will be posted in due course on a new thread.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 06:12 - May 7 with 1289 viewsMrHappy2

My mind boggles at the detail in this competition Wessex - astounding effort

👏👏👏👏👏

Poll: In its 20th season how has the Happy League affected your life ?

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 06:17 - May 7 with 1286 viewsMrHappy2

U'sual Champions League 2021 - Semi-finals on 06:12 - May 7 by MrHappy2

My mind boggles at the detail in this competition Wessex - astounding effort

👏👏👏👏👏

..And a first chance for silverware for two players who have been around a little while

A lot at stake - all the best both of you

Poll: In its 20th season how has the Happy League affected your life ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024