Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? 10:33 - May 17 with 8234 viewsLeeBrookfield

Been looking at Dales transfers recently and found a striker called Akeel Francis. Apparently we got him on a free from Wrexham in 2018/19 season under Keith Hill.
Who is the most obscure signing you know about ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/akeel-francis/profil/spieler/550648
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 16:03 - May 17 with 5281 viewselectricblue

Lee Buggy.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 16:57 - May 17 with 5188 viewsSuddenLad

Les Strong

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 18:04 - May 17 with 5101 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 16:57 - May 17 by SuddenLad

Les Strong

Bloody Bottomley!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 19:22 - May 17 with 5010 viewsboromat

Roland Bergkamp

If permanent maybe Ayina or depending on what you mean by obscure you could count Isidro Diaz who to this day at that particular time haven't got a clue how he ended up playing at Spotland. (He must have been really happy in the north west of UK).
[Post edited 17 May 2021 19:30]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:12 - May 17 with 4913 viewsrichfoad32

Marc Twaddle. A quick shufti at Wikipedia has him making two appearances for us, but I have no memory of them whatsoever.
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:19 - May 17 with 4894 viewsboromat

If we're purely talking about signings that hardly feature the most recent I think was David Owuso one appearance and looked handy with plenty of pace. Never to be seen again.

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:33 - May 17 with 4851 views49thseason

Then there was the 15-day loan signing Stephen Vaughan. According to Wiki , Keith Hill's first signing who then decided he would be better off at Boston where he managed just 7 games without ever kicking a ball in anger at Rochdale. Was he even a footballer?
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:34 - May 17 with 4846 viewsTVOS1907

Lord Kangana N'Diwa, or some version of those three!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:48 - May 17 with 4825 viewsfinberty

Obscure in terms of the length of time he was at the club compared to the number of appearances, was the centre back who, according to wikipedia, was the club's first international player.

He spent the majority of his time here on the treatment table.

When he finally got fit he was a decent centre back, but played only 19 games.

Step forward Neil Matthews.
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:49 - May 17 with 4820 views49thseason

Richard Green ?
1999 → Rochdale (loan) 6 (0)
2000—2001 Northampton Town 59 (2)
2001—2002 Rochdale 0 (0) ...... His last season .. who did that medical then?
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:53 - May 17 with 4808 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:12 - May 17 by richfoad32

Marc Twaddle. A quick shufti at Wikipedia has him making two appearances for us, but I have no memory of them whatsoever.

Random Jock....came from Falkirk I think?

Did n't our charming Leighanne come from the same Club at the same time?

Proper good signing
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 21:23 - May 17 with 4748 viewsmingthemerciless

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:48 - May 17 by finberty

Obscure in terms of the length of time he was at the club compared to the number of appearances, was the centre back who, according to wikipedia, was the club's first international player.

He spent the majority of his time here on the treatment table.

When he finally got fit he was a decent centre back, but played only 19 games.

Step forward Neil Matthews.

Good player - when he was fit.
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 21:28 - May 17 with 4740 viewsAtThePeake

Marc Manga. Frenchman who made 2 sub appearances in 2009 and never played for anyone else before or after according to Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Manga

Tangled up in blue.

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 21:34 - May 17 with 4725 viewsboromat

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 21:28 - May 17 by AtThePeake

Marc Manga. Frenchman who made 2 sub appearances in 2009 and never played for anyone else before or after according to Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Manga

Don't remember him at all funny looking at Hills comments when he signed.

Hill told the club website: "Marc will offer us something different because he is a good link player, something we perhaps don't have at the moment.

"He has some work to do to reach the tempo levels we have set in training, but we have seen something we like."

Obviously never met those tempo levels 🤣

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 21:54 - May 17 with 4678 viewswindowsbug2002

Didn't we sign a Turkish player on loan or whatever.
I remember him sitting on the touchline looking really dejected at Boston United when we were losing as usual there.
Bilal Akzo?
[Post edited 17 May 2021 21:55]
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 22:01 - May 17 with 4663 viewsTomRAFC

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:34 - May 17 by TVOS1907

Lord Kangana N'Diwa, or some version of those three!

I think he was signed as part of a double loan deal with Bolton which also included Danny Livesey.

Another long name worth a mention is Kuagica Sebastiao Bondo David, who signed for us under Steve Eyre but never played.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 22:36 - May 17 with 4598 viewsnordenblue

Ahmad Benali, strange signing at a strange time, went on to have a pretty decent career in Italy it seems
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 22:51 - May 17 with 4591 viewsD_Alien

Jesus

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 08:10 - May 18 with 4392 viewsSheffield_dale

Always thought Mark Kitching was a strange one. Can't remember who the player was (maybe Hogan) but Hilly was asked in an interview if we would miss his goals after recently selling. His response "I'm not bothered, it's meant we can sign someone of the calibre of Mark Kitching" ....riiiiiight 👍
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 08:39 - May 18 with 4337 viewsNewbury_Dale

Charlie Comyn Platt

Left: July 2007
Appearances: 0
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 09:04 - May 18 with 4305 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 20:49 - May 17 by 49thseason

Richard Green ?
1999 → Rochdale (loan) 6 (0)
2000—2001 Northampton Town 59 (2)
2001—2002 Rochdale 0 (0) ...... His last season .. who did that medical then?

Green joined with a serious back injury if I remember rightly and as you say never played.

Stephen Vaughan I think was the dodgy Chester owners son, probably more
Suitable for a role here as assistant CEO currently than a player!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 10:31 - May 18 with 4204 viewsLaveritty

We signed a young lad on loan from Stoke a few years ago - think he was a left back (remember them?) or left winger. Made his debut and looked to have a bit of pace about him but got hooked at half time and we never saw him again. Very odd! Can't remember his name though?

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 11:11 - May 18 with 4144 viewsChaffRAFC

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 10:31 - May 18 by Laveritty

We signed a young lad on loan from Stoke a few years ago - think he was a left back (remember them?) or left winger. Made his debut and looked to have a bit of pace about him but got hooked at half time and we never saw him again. Very odd! Can't remember his name though?

Joel Taylor - now at Chesterfield having joined from Chester in December

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 12:15 - May 18 with 4055 viewsCockneyDale

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 08:10 - May 18 by Sheffield_dale

Always thought Mark Kitching was a strange one. Can't remember who the player was (maybe Hogan) but Hilly was asked in an interview if we would miss his goals after recently selling. His response "I'm not bothered, it's meant we can sign someone of the calibre of Mark Kitching" ....riiiiiight 👍

My abiding memory is laughing at the the fact he was running at the Spurs defence in the first 'leg'. I genuinely loved that we were going for it, but if even Kitching is having a run at them...wow!

But he did put in the tackle for the first goal, so will always have a place in my heart for that.

Kitching-->Humphrys-->Cannon-->Henderson!
Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 12:23 - May 18 with 4041 viewsD_Alien

Most obscure signings. Who is yours? on 12:15 - May 18 by CockneyDale

My abiding memory is laughing at the the fact he was running at the Spurs defence in the first 'leg'. I genuinely loved that we were going for it, but if even Kitching is having a run at them...wow!

But he did put in the tackle for the first goal, so will always have a place in my heart for that.

Kitching-->Humphrys-->Cannon-->Henderson!

Kitching also scored a cracking equalizer from the edge of the box at the Sandy Lane end in the evening fixture against Doncaster, who'd held onto a 0-1 lead for most of the match

His goal came around the 90th minute. Steven Davies went on to score the winner in added time

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, does no-one recall Hilly taking a player on trial called Jesus? Never made an appearance*

* all possible permutations of humorous remarks were made at the time...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024