Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts 23:22 - Aug 7 with 17421 viewsKeithHaynes

A young man who wants to play football.
Sunday evening supplement. From 5pm.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 07:53 - Aug 11 with 1485 viewsDr_Parnassus

I wonder if people are going to get bored of talking about Cooper in absolutely every single situation? Despite the fact that it’s unlikely any manager we have in the next decade will reach the heights he led us to…

I hope so, because it’s mind numbing.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 08:12 - Aug 11 with 1433 viewsChief

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 07:53 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

I wonder if people are going to get bored of talking about Cooper in absolutely every single situation? Despite the fact that it’s unlikely any manager we have in the next decade will reach the heights he led us to…

Exactly. I mean we did lose at Blackburn last weekend, but had plenty of possession around their box that from what I saw last night, Piroe would have revelled in.

So to allude that Martin has got this spot on is strange to start with, let alone any further comments about our previous manager who's achievements Martin will be extremely hard pushed to exceed.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 08:47 - Aug 11 with 1373 viewsvetchonian

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 06:56 - Aug 11 by Dr_Winston

Certainly seems like at some point there has been a "teachable moment" there. Credit to both Martin for making his point but not doing what Cooper would have done and ignoring the existence of Piroe for months, and credit to Piroe for taking it on board and grabbing his next opportunity with both hands.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 6:57]

your obsession with Cooper is amazing...he has gone move on....we are now in different circumstances different player and only one gsame in to the league ....which we have lost by the way

Despite what we all thought of Cooper he got us to the play offs twice.....this is what he may have bben chareged with...the football may not alwas have been pretty but it certainly wasnt as bad as many make out....BUT he got results...that said he is gone and now there is new manager lets not take every opportunity to take a swipe at Cooper.....you speculate saying Cooper would have ignored Piroe...you as always talk nonsense....no fadts just opinion

Lets move on Coopers gone what hever he did is hsitory .....the king is dead long live the king lets now focus on our current manager.....on the face of it he has brought attractve attacking back a la Martinez.....lets see how we finish ...whilst football is "entertainment" it is aresults game we fans dont like too lose even if the footie is pretty but more so these days owners demand success...whilst many have stated on here they will be happy finishing mid table but being attractive to watch I dont think our owners will share the same view.....

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 08:49 - Aug 11 with 1365 viewsDr_Winston

Thoroughly enjoying the "Cooper's gone. Move on" stuff from the people who will undoubtedly be using his "achievements" as a stick to beat Martin with should we hit a bad run of form at some point.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 08:50 - Aug 11 with 1363 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 08:12 - Aug 11 by Chief

Exactly. I mean we did lose at Blackburn last weekend, but had plenty of possession around their box that from what I saw last night, Piroe would have revelled in.

So to allude that Martin has got this spot on is strange to start with, let alone any further comments about our previous manager who's achievements Martin will be extremely hard pushed to exceed.

I mean, if you are going to troll, at least wait until we have registered a single point surely

If this new way of playing achieves something then I’ll be over the moon, to achieve things and play a nice way is the dream. But I wouldn’t want to sacrifice to former for the latter, which I feel we may be doing.

As it stands, unless we heavily recruit and recruit well in order to be able to play this way… it looks like it may be a very difficult road ahead. Beating Reading U-18’s, although nice, really doesn’t ease those concerns.

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 09:25 - Aug 11 with 1310 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 08:49 - Aug 11 by Dr_Winston

Thoroughly enjoying the "Cooper's gone. Move on" stuff from the people who will undoubtedly be using his "achievements" as a stick to beat Martin with should we hit a bad run of form at some point.

Im thoroughly enjoying you having a go at people for what they haven’t said… yet “may do” (according to you) in the future. Surely wait for that to happen first big man?

You are obsessed. Let it go. You are boring people.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 9:26]

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 09:27 - Aug 11 with 1306 viewsvetchonian

it takes Troll to know a goblin!!!!!

You are already using Martins acheivements......such as they are as a stick to continue to beat Cooper with ....

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 09:46 - Aug 11 with 1262 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 09:25 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

Im thoroughly enjoying you having a go at people for what they haven’t said… yet “may do” (according to you) in the future. Surely wait for that to happen first big man?

You are obsessed. Let it go. You are boring people.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 9:26]

Whats boring me is the people who continue to hold Cooper up as someone who has achieved the impossible in the last 2 seasons

He did well achieving the playoffs but to say others would not have achieved with the squad that we had is frankly impossible to predict either way.

All I know is that if the first 2 games are anything to go by then I'm going to enjoy the season a lot more than the last one (despite the results)
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 9:46]

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Login to get fewer ads

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 09:59 - Aug 11 with 1242 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I’ve already seen it! Andy Cole on the fence right now but should RM have some bad results then he’ll be right into him no doubt.

I read somewhere again about Coopers “achievements”. Which in fairness stabilised the club and didn’t get us relegated. Failing twice in the playoffs just gets you an also Dan’s badge. But no prize.

Now Martin has fine tuned Dhanda position so he can have a far bigger impact. I thought his play on the highlights was superb - some evidence emerging here of his true capabilities (which we haven’t seen under Cooper or Potter). I’m all of a sudden very optimistic that we’ve got some great competition for our 3 midfield places - all quality and we may finally have found a true gold nugget striker in Joel Piroe. I was blown away by his performance last night - he seems to have it all. Tremendous dribbling ability, good awareness and a rapier of a left foot - could be the real deal we’ve been crying out for. He should be our number nine this season - go on Russ - give him the shirt. With Henry going to Celtic I think this lad should be above Hugill in the pecking order (should we buy him in the end. I’d argue with Lowe, Whittaker, Cullen and Piroe we should be well enough stocked - there’s always room to loan at Christmas if needs be).

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:11 - Aug 11 with 1226 viewsFireboy2

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 08:47 - Aug 11 by vetchonian

your obsession with Cooper is amazing...he has gone move on....we are now in different circumstances different player and only one gsame in to the league ....which we have lost by the way

Despite what we all thought of Cooper he got us to the play offs twice.....this is what he may have bben chareged with...the football may not alwas have been pretty but it certainly wasnt as bad as many make out....BUT he got results...that said he is gone and now there is new manager lets not take every opportunity to take a swipe at Cooper.....you speculate saying Cooper would have ignored Piroe...you as always talk nonsense....no fadts just opinion

Lets move on Coopers gone what hever he did is hsitory .....the king is dead long live the king lets now focus on our current manager.....on the face of it he has brought attractve attacking back a la Martinez.....lets see how we finish ...whilst football is "entertainment" it is aresults game we fans dont like too lose even if the footie is pretty but more so these days owners demand success...whilst many have stated on here they will be happy finishing mid table but being attractive to watch I dont think our owners will share the same view.....

I'm taking this post as a bite.
Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:15 - Aug 11 with 1216 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:11 - Aug 11 by Fireboy2

I'm taking this post as a bite.

I was waiting for the whole “just fishing” line.

Came sooner than I thought.

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:21 - Aug 11 with 1198 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 09:46 - Aug 11 by PatchesOHoulihan

Whats boring me is the people who continue to hold Cooper up as someone who has achieved the impossible in the last 2 seasons

He did well achieving the playoffs but to say others would not have achieved with the squad that we had is frankly impossible to predict either way.

All I know is that if the first 2 games are anything to go by then I'm going to enjoy the season a lot more than the last one (despite the results)
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 9:46]

Cooper didn’t achieve the impossible at all, he achieved the very maximum. To expect anymore would have been ludicrous when you compare the sides. This is what every fan wants (or should want) and this level of achieving the best you can with your tools should be what we are aiming for with every single manager.

The barometer of success isn’t whether you enjoyed. It’s where we are finishing, are we winning games, are we doing ourselves justice as a squad and as a result can we attract players here.

Players are on heavily bonus based contracts in this league, if you think your goal as a fan is the same as theirs on the pitch or in the management rooms then you are wrong. They want to win. Losing and playing pretty football may be enjoyable to you, but it isn’t to them or the club.

I like the new way of playing, IF it achieves success. That will be the same mentality as those in charge too. If it doesn’t then I won’t be enjoying it and nor will most others no doubt. Beating Reading under 18’s without a league point to our name probably isn’t the best time to start trolling about our last manager that guided us to 6th and 4th respectively.

There was a bloke I knew a while back who claimed to support Liverpool. I remember it was 0-0 late on against someone and he said “I wouldn’t even mind if the other team scored now, just to see a bit of action”. I thought to myself that the moment I ever valued being personally entertained over the success of my own team then I wouldn’t bother anymore.

Thankfully that moment has never come and I hope it never does.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 10:26]

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:25 - Aug 11 with 1188 viewsFireboy2

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:15 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

It's faf watching people taking bait Doc.

I was one of the many who hated watching the trite banal boring percentage football cooper had us playing but I will never bang on about him leaving and us starting to look attractive to watch.

I'm really looking forward to watching us first time live on the box on saturday and I for one am confident we will take 3pts.

I am also looking forward to the noise the JBs are going to produce, the players are in for a treat, if they play the confident football they have showed in the last two games the crowd will get behind them no doubt.
Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:31 - Aug 11 with 1178 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:25 - Aug 11 by Fireboy2

I was one of the many who hated watching the trite banal boring percentage football cooper had us playing but I will never bang on about him leaving and us starting to look attractive to watch.

I'm really looking forward to watching us first time live on the box on saturday and I for one am confident we will take 3pts.

I am also looking forward to the noise the JBs are going to produce, the players are in for a treat, if they play the confident football they have showed in the last two games the crowd will get behind them no doubt.

Then you are calling him a troll looking for reactions and attention?

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest maybe he has become too entrenched in his views and his dislike for a manager has currently overtaken his like for the club, as he was once a decent poster before all this nonsense…. But open to the fact he’s trolling too I suppose.

We are all looking forward to what’s to come, as I was at the start of last season and the one before that. I am a Swansea supporter, it’s what I do every season.

But if you don’t think it’s going to be extremely tiresome comparing every situation to when Cooper was here and exaggerating every little detail under RM pretending it’s some master stroke of special management then we have vastly different ideas of what’s tiresome.

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:37 - Aug 11 with 1164 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:25 - Aug 11 by Fireboy2

In one breath he’s saying Cooper achieved the “maximum” (must mean by reaching the play off final - but wouldn’t maximum imply winning it and promotion?).

In the next he’s saying I want my team to win over entertaining - well they did neither during the play off final. Contrary or just insane? The jury has reached a verdict lol

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:39 - Aug 11 with 1160 viewsChubz

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:15 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

Don't bite pike!
Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:42 - Aug 11 with 1147 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:37 - Aug 11 by Brynmill_Jack

In one breath he’s saying Cooper achieved the “maximum” (must mean by reaching the play off final - but wouldn’t maximum imply winning it and promotion?).

In the next he’s saying I want my team to win over entertaining - well they did neither during the play off final. Contrary or just insane? The jury has reached a verdict lol

What “he” was saying in both breaths was correct.

No, I don’t think we had any realistic chance of winning the playoffs. The maximum that could be expected for a squad like ours would have been a play off spot. A play off win would have been an anomaly. It’s something we have only achieved once in our history and we had our best ever league squad with our best ever league manager, it’s not the norm.

As for “they did neither” they won enough to equal our record points tally in the division and get to the play off final. I would take that every single day of the week over a mid table season of tippy tappy which unfortunately I assume we are going to get.

But I’m hopeful he can balance entertainment for success because as I said, the latter is more important to the club than the former - the club always comes first. Always.

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:43 - Aug 11 with 1134 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:39 - Aug 11 by Chubz

Don't bite pike!

Innit

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:55 - Aug 11 with 1099 viewsjack247

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 07:53 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

Agree with this. Cooper has gone. Whether people took to him or liked the way he played doesn’t change the fact that two consecutive playoff finishes was a great achievement.

At the same time, if we end up finishing 10th playing decent football, I hope there’s no wave of ‘Martin not as good as Cooper’ type posts.
Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:02 - Aug 11 with 1082 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 10:55 - Aug 11 by jack247

Agree with this. Cooper has gone. Whether people took to him or liked the way he played doesn’t change the fact that two consecutive playoff finishes was a great achievement.

At the same time, if we end up finishing 10th playing decent football, I hope there’s no wave of ‘Martin not as good as Cooper’ type posts.

There may be people complaining, as people have different expectations. For some people that is based on achievements (wins, league position etc), and others that is based on entertainment… which is why we got the wave of “Potter is better than Cooper” posts last season. So can’t imagine the scenario you paint will be too different either.

If it’s becoming clear that our league position is being sacrificed in order to play a certain way then it’s inevitable people are going to start to get annoyed with it.

The key with this way of playing before is it worked, we got consistent success with it. We never did it just for fun, there was a goal in mind. I will always want the best for the club, and for me that is playing in the way that gives us the best chance of winning a game.

If we continued under Cooper I think we would be looking at top 10 once he got a few loans in. If we achieve that this season I’ll be happy.

However if we are languishing in 17th and 18th persisting with a style of play that doesn’t suit the players we have, giving the ball away on the edge of our own box 10 times a game, I will certainly get the hump with it. I think that’s natural.

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:10 - Aug 11 with 1053 viewsChubz

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:02 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

There may be people complaining, as people have different expectations. For some people that is based on achievements (wins, league position etc), and others that is based on entertainment… which is why we got the wave of “Potter is better than Cooper” posts last season. So can’t imagine the scenario you paint will be too different either.

If it’s becoming clear that our league position is being sacrificed in order to play a certain way then it’s inevitable people are going to start to get annoyed with it.

The key with this way of playing before is it worked, we got consistent success with it. We never did it just for fun, there was a goal in mind. I will always want the best for the club, and for me that is playing in the way that gives us the best chance of winning a game.

If we continued under Cooper I think we would be looking at top 10 once he got a few loans in. If we achieve that this season I’ll be happy.

However if we are languishing in 17th and 18th persisting with a style of play that doesn’t suit the players we have, giving the ball away on the edge of our own box 10 times a game, I will certainly get the hump with it. I think that’s natural.

"If it’s becoming clear that our league position is being sacrificed in order to play a certain way then it’s inevitable people are going to start to get annoyed with it."

What mythical league position that we are sacrificing are we deemed to be? Thought it was a new season with every team starting on zero points.
Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:16 - Aug 11 with 1041 viewsChief

Well I certainly won't be. I'm under no illusions of the task Martin has ahead of him.

You're the one comparing pretty much every aspect of the club between under the 2 managers. You are the one who randomly brought Cooper up, no one else.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:17 - Aug 11 with 1038 viewsjack247

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:02 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

Yes, if we are fighting relegation towards the end of the season you’ll have every right to complain and you’ll be far from alone.

I was more alluding to a scenario where we finish top 10 playing attractive football, but fail to make the playoffs.
Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:19 - Aug 11 with 1038 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:10 - Aug 11 by Chubz

"If it’s becoming clear that our league position is being sacrificed in order to play a certain way then it’s inevitable people are going to start to get annoyed with it."

What mythical league position that we are sacrificing are we deemed to be? Thought it was a new season with every team starting on zero points.

We aren’t stupid, we know roughly what our teams are like compared to others.

We should finish in the top 10 this year, or there abouts. Think we were 11th favourite for the title with most odds compilers.

If we finish 17th then we have underachieved. That’s obvious to most.

If Man City finish 7th, so have they.

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:25 - Aug 11 with 1032 viewsDr_Parnassus

Joel Piroe : Facing up to facts on 11:17 - Aug 11 by jack247

Yes, if we are fighting relegation towards the end of the season you’ll have every right to complain and you’ll be far from alone.

I was more alluding to a scenario where we finish top 10 playing attractive football, but fail to make the playoffs.

That would be fine in my book.

Anyone who expects this side to finish in the playoffs with or without Cooper is deluded, around 10th playing decent football I will join in with the castigating of people that start complaining and comparing to Cooper.

But if we are really suffering in the league due to persisting with a system we aren’t suited to then it will need to be looked at. Whether we are suited to it or not isn’t clear yet, so the jury is out.

I personally can’t bring myself to use the Reading game as any sort of a marker, as pleased as I am with the result and performance I am realistic enough to note the circumstances. It’s far too early to make any sort of judgements either way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024