Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 17:55 - Jan 15 with 7613 viewsBlackCrowe

What a tight and enthralling match - not much between the two sides though i don't remember Marshall having a save to make. He looked very solid i thought.

Excellent Willock cross and Austin goal and Charlie's celeration at the West Brom bench was bordering on abuse!

But the game belongs Barrrrbet - immense throughout and warrior-like after the injury - just immense.

You Rs.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 14:52 - Jan 16 with 785 viewsNorthernr

Just back on 14:48 - Jan 16 by PinnerPaul

He is not committing an offence by standing there.

Guarantee if I do that in a game, referee is asking me at HT/FT, "Why did you put the flag up there"?

I get what you're saying and fans often quote 'interfering with play' or 'interfering with an opponent' but both those phrases are clearly defined in the LOTG and merely standing behind an opponent looking at him isn't classed as either of them.

Going to bore you and everyone else, so my last post on this subject, that first line of the law is there for a reason!

I know exactly the one Gazza is talking about cos it was right in front of us and that does irritate me as well. It's just the way the laws are currently interpreted I guess but I don't see how you're not intefering with play if the defender is forced to act in a certain way by your presence. You're gaining an advantage, in this case a throw in in an attacking area, by forcing the defender to head it out rather than let it come through to you - and you're doing that all from an offside position. For me that's off.
Just back on 14:54 - Jan 16 with 771 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 14:49 - Jan 16 by gazza1

It is a new rule introduced lately.....and it is rubbish.

Nope its not and the 2nd part - that's your opinion, which is fair enough.

Players DO appeal for it, so they obviously agree with you.

But we had this discussion on here a while ago and I looked back at the old laws and despite our memories the laws have always said (precis version) that a player has to touch the ball to be offside. I know its not that simple, but you get my drift, that 1st line has always been there.

I said I wasn't posting anymore on this - I lied
Just back on 15:13 - Jan 16 with 713 viewsQPR_John

Just back on 14:32 - Jan 16 by PinnerPaul

Not quite as inconsistent as that, but yes they ARE human like the players, so some are 'great' certain days and 'ok' others and yes 'poor' on other days.

I AM going to pick you up on offside THOUGH - its NEVER offside if you are just standing behind a defender, back to my old friend the 1st line of the offside law

" IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE TO BE IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION"

Two points. I think the ref did not restart while Barbet was being treated because of the number of people on the line. It would be difficult for the linesman and also dangerous for any play near the incident if the game restarted for people treating Barbet. As we are told many times when players go down as if shot the referee is not a medical expert.

As to the " IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE TO BE IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION" it’s clearly not as straight forward as that and it really depends where the play is. One day a defender is going to get injured trying to clear the ball unnecessarily. It is a stupid law as it stands

Just read your previous posts. If that was always the law it was never implemented as such. In my experience offside was always given whether the “ offending” player touched the ball or not.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2022 15:18]
Just back on 15:20 - Jan 16 with 676 viewsgazza1

Just back on 15:13 - Jan 16 by QPR_John

Two points. I think the ref did not restart while Barbet was being treated because of the number of people on the line. It would be difficult for the linesman and also dangerous for any play near the incident if the game restarted for people treating Barbet. As we are told many times when players go down as if shot the referee is not a medical expert.

As to the " IT IS NOT AN OFFENCE TO BE IN AN OFFSIDE POSITION" it’s clearly not as straight forward as that and it really depends where the play is. One day a defender is going to get injured trying to clear the ball unnecessarily. It is a stupid law as it stands

Just read your previous posts. If that was always the law it was never implemented as such. In my experience offside was always given whether the “ offending” player touched the ball or not.

It is not as straight forward as that....PP is trying to keep it simple but it is far from being simple. Far more simple when I played - if the ball is played to someone standing offside the flag went up if the lino thought it was offside and the flag went up early so if it was a 50 yard cross field ball the flag went up early- simple & helpful to everyone.
Just back on 15:49 - Jan 16 with 608 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 15:13 - Jan 16 by QPR_John

John , re that last bit, yes I thought that, as did many on RefChat, but you can, remarkably, find the actual laws of the game on line going back to forever and in none of them is just standing in an offside position ever been an offence.

I do agree it WAS implemented that way for a while.

Where I disagree is that if you start giving offside for these type of situations the game will be very stop start and not as enjoyable to watch - this is indeed the scenario behind the offside law being favoured to attackers more and more over the years.

People can write what they like and think what they like but that IS the law, that IS the first line of it and that IS how officials are applying it.

Just doing your blood pressure no favours screaming for it at KPFS, it ain't going to change and the flag is going to stay firmly down!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024