Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That miss…. 23:04 - Aug 30 with 9921 viewsDoudou87

I can’t stop thinking about it!

Massive shout out to the fans who applauded his every effort after it. Would of been crushing to have given him any stick, save that for behind my computer screen.

Completely shot of confidence. Yes he’s got a good work rate but he’s just not on the same wave length as our attackers. It seems like an intentional move that our fullbacks are playing the ball in low for our attacking midfields to come onto and shoot. He very rarely gets the ball under control or gets a decent flick on, so I’m sat here wondering what exactly he brings to our new system. Not sure we even need a target man and rather a false 9.

Not long left until we find out if there is anyone lined up to take his place.

Hope he comes good, I really do.

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

That miss…. on 09:44 - Aug 31 with 2379 viewsloftus77

A Multiple Choice A level? question:

Q1. You are selected as the stand-out(?) first-choice striker for Queens Park Rangers in the 2022-23 season. You conjure up a horrendous miss from 3 yards out, spaffing the ball wide under no pressure whatsoever. An absolute 'Mr Sitter for the ages' which threatens to send the club's social media channels into absolute apoplexy and meltdown. Do you enact this glaring error:

A. In the last minute of the Championship play-off final against Watford with the score locked at 0-0 , Rangers reduced to 9 men and extra-time looming?

B. In the 5th minute (of 5) of injury time in the last home game against Bristol City - a relegation six pointer where Rangers are trailing 0-1 and a point would secure 21st place and survival?

C. In the 52nd minute of a balmy late summer early season home match with Hull City with your team already 3-0 up and (apparently) coasting to a rare nerveless home win?

Me neither. He's a pro. Context is everything. All he, and we, need to do is to forget it .
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 9:45]
That miss…. on 09:45 - Aug 31 with 2364 viewsTheChef

He's scored goals before, he'll score goals again.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

That miss…. on 09:48 - Aug 31 with 2337 viewsdannyblue

We've seen worse misses. Remember the keeper was still in the game and pretty close to him smothering the angles. Hugill and others have missed actual open goals.
That miss…. on 09:49 - Aug 31 with 2333 viewsloftboy

Mick Beale said “he over thought it” there lies the solution, a decent striker doesn’t think he has instinct.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

That miss…. on 10:05 - Aug 31 with 2264 viewsMalintabuk

That miss…. on 02:02 - Aug 31 by Lblock

There’s no getting away from it - that one has to be filed in The Dean Coney Hall of Misses.
I said at the time it’s up there in the top ten of worst sitters missed I’ve ever seen but on reflection it may be top five. The only mitigating factor may be how close in he was and the keeper sprawling himself well.

Put the Miss aside… I just don’t buy the “all round game and work ethic” argument. Deep in the first half he was 30 yards out, ball at feet with clear grass in front of him. He got caught in twenty eight minds, shaped to shoot, move forward with the ball or pass… ended up doing none of the above, ball caught under his legs and was closed down so he had to shield and try and lay it off. I want my striker having a dig there.

Sorry but, game as Lyndon might well be, we need better and I’d move him on no matter the loss.
I’m sure if by some miracle we land Cameron Archer he’ll be Beales first choice.
It would rankle that we’re developing someone else’s player but such is life - might push us to the top six which is where we want to be.

Superb shout. When I logged on at half time here I was going to mention that but thought that at 3 -0 it might be a little crass
But that one moment sums up Dykes for me
The lad is willing and does a lot of graft but he is in the team to score goals
Apart from a purple patch of 10-15 games he really as not done a lot
He is most likely the best we have at the club and MB may have no option but to play him.... but if Dykes is an answer we are asking the wrong questions
Like a lot on here.... is is one of ours and I hope I'm wrong.
That miss…. on 10:15 - Aug 31 with 2190 viewsMrSheen

Hull’s Colombian lad will pleased, otherwise his freeze in front of goal might have got more attention. Mind, he has scored loads.
That miss…. on 10:17 - Aug 31 with 2178 viewsbakerloo8

That miss…. on 10:15 - Aug 31 by MrSheen

Hull’s Colombian lad will pleased, otherwise his freeze in front of goal might have got more attention. Mind, he has scored loads.

It's alright missing a few if you're scoring a few.
Problems comes if you're just missing a few.
That miss…. on 10:53 - Aug 31 with 2079 viewsRed_Ranger

I have had enough of him.

Same box as Washington and Sheron.

Would be happy to see that back of him ASAP.
Login to get fewer ads

That miss…. on 11:24 - Aug 31 with 1973 viewsBurnleyhoop

That miss…. on 09:49 - Aug 31 by loftboy

Mick Beale said “he over thought it” there lies the solution, a decent striker doesn’t think he has instinct.

Not so much the “ solution”, more the problem.
He can’t expect to retain his spot in the side missing opportunities like that if and when we have more bodies available, regardless of the faux support shown by Beale.

It is absolutely right that Beale backs him publicly and fair play to the fans for backing him last night. Would he have received that support if we were losing I wonder?

If Beale is happy to have a work horse up front that creates space and opportunities for everyone else, then that’s fine by me. But a goal scorer he is not.
That miss…. on 11:39 - Aug 31 with 1920 viewsGroveR

That miss…. on 00:39 - Aug 31 by Benny_the_Ball

I understand where you're coming from but that's the nature of football. To be successful players (particularly strikers) need to be resilient otherwise they're in the wrong trade.

Whilst Beale and the crowd did take the right approach, that was in the stadium. Retrospective analysis requires a different approach, whether on this message board or at the training ground.

Make no mistake, despite the public show of support in the post-match interview, Beale will be having a critical word with Lyndon tomorrow with a view to improving his finishing.

Which is exactly what a good coach should be doing - coaching - not dipping into the little black book too see what Modibo fùcking Maiga is up to.

Ray Wilkins nailed it for me in the qprnet.com interview.

A lot of lads were very supportive and when he missed chances it was always “unlucky Les, next time Les” but that has to stop at some stage and someone has to point out that it’s not unlucky it’s a bad miss. I think I might have been one of the first to tell him so. I don’t think he was too chuffed but from that time he took more care in what he did.
That miss…. on 11:52 - Aug 31 with 1887 viewstraininvain

I’ve not completely given up on Dykes just yet. Yes he’s on a barren run and looks very short of confidence in front of goal. But he’s also had a couple of purple patches.
That miss…. on 12:14 - Aug 31 with 1828 viewsgazza1

He is not good enough, I doubt very much that he ever will be and making excuse after excuse for him is just covering up for his poor play. Some of the stuff being said 'he is a confidence player' - what player is not a confidence player?, 'he works hard' - & so he should do because that is his job and that is what he gets paid for!!, won a few decent headers - wow a 6' plus player wins headers, that is his ' bread & butter'!! and so on. Unless he scores goals then he is not what we need as our main striker....it is as simple as that. He isn't even working the keeper very often.

I am not knocking him too much about his last 2 performances because I think he did a reasonable job in both matches, but he never scored again. Last nigh, however, he missed the simplest of chances (because of his confidence apparently!!!) that a schoolboy would score and he also failed to attack a nice cross from the left in the 2nd half - he just watched it rather that get on the end of it. His control of the football leaves a lot to be desired as well.

The sooner we get in a player who will score striker/CF goals the better for QPR.
That miss…. on 12:55 - Aug 31 with 1724 viewsTheChef

That miss…. on 12:14 - Aug 31 by gazza1

He is not good enough, I doubt very much that he ever will be and making excuse after excuse for him is just covering up for his poor play. Some of the stuff being said 'he is a confidence player' - what player is not a confidence player?, 'he works hard' - & so he should do because that is his job and that is what he gets paid for!!, won a few decent headers - wow a 6' plus player wins headers, that is his ' bread & butter'!! and so on. Unless he scores goals then he is not what we need as our main striker....it is as simple as that. He isn't even working the keeper very often.

I am not knocking him too much about his last 2 performances because I think he did a reasonable job in both matches, but he never scored again. Last nigh, however, he missed the simplest of chances (because of his confidence apparently!!!) that a schoolboy would score and he also failed to attack a nice cross from the left in the 2nd half - he just watched it rather that get on the end of it. His control of the football leaves a lot to be desired as well.

The sooner we get in a player who will score striker/CF goals the better for QPR.

"The sooner we get in a player who will score striker/CF goals the better for QPR."

Sure, but until that point he's our player and let's try and make the best of him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

That miss…. on 13:09 - Aug 31 with 1665 viewsLogman

What is the point in slating him ? He will know that it was a terrible miss and he clearly felt bad about it as he was a shadow of himself thereafter ( and has been for a few games now). If I'm being honest I'm a bit disappointed that only Sam Field seemed to console him. I would have liked to have seen the captain and his fellow forward players pick him up. They ignored him. It's not just about celebrating together.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 13:11]
That miss…. on 13:12 - Aug 31 with 1649 viewsLazyFan

He should just blast them in future, no more of this placing nonsense. Just smack it hard.

zzzzzzzzzz

That miss…. on 13:28 - Aug 31 with 1607 viewsLythamR

That miss…. on 13:12 - Aug 31 by LazyFan

He should just blast them in future, no more of this placing nonsense. Just smack it hard.

it was only a few weeks ago people were complaining when his shots were saved, this time he takes the time to place it beyond the keeper into the corner, ok he completely screwed it up but he will go on a streak soon if we keep up the standard of play of the last couple of games
That miss…. on 13:32 - Aug 31 with 1596 viewsTramoreRanger

Amazing isn't it that despite a cracking display last night and a comfortable 3-1 win the thing that's being spoken about most of all is Dykes miss........ Yes it was a shocker, but it happens.......

Seem to recall a few seasons ago when we destroyed Cardiff 6-1, instead of talking about the wonderful football we played the hotest topic was Lumley's balls up with the last kick of the game to allow them to score..... seems negativity is highlighted and all the good things fade into oblivion....... as fans we do seem to like a scapegoat and to kick someone when they are down....... Apart from that miss I thought Dykes had a good game and his workrate allowed Willock & Chair to play further forward......

Lets enjoy the way we played last night especially 1st half

Up The R's
That miss…. on 13:35 - Aug 31 with 1588 viewsnix

That miss…. on 13:09 - Aug 31 by Logman

What is the point in slating him ? He will know that it was a terrible miss and he clearly felt bad about it as he was a shadow of himself thereafter ( and has been for a few games now). If I'm being honest I'm a bit disappointed that only Sam Field seemed to console him. I would have liked to have seen the captain and his fellow forward players pick him up. They ignored him. It's not just about celebrating together.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 13:11]

Chair went up to him and put a consoling hand on his shoulder.
That miss…. on 13:59 - Aug 31 with 1505 viewsPlanetHonneywood

That miss…. on 13:35 - Aug 31 by nix

Some effort that for our smallest player to hug one of our tallest.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

That miss…. on 14:11 - Aug 31 with 1472 viewsQPR_Hibs

That miss…. on 13:35 - Aug 31 by nix

I thought it was Sam Field but maybe they both did it.

EDIT - just seen on the highlights that Chair did it immediately. I think Field went up to Dykes about 30 seconds later.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 14:26]

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

That miss…. on 14:14 - Aug 31 with 1450 viewsDannyPaddox

That miss…. on 14:38 - Aug 31 with 1363 viewsBrazilNutR

That miss…. on 14:14 - Aug 31 by DannyPaddox

All strikers are capable of missing that chance, or much much worse.. even much better strikers. We won, he contributed well.. Hopefully next game he scores a winner in a 1-0 win and its all forgotten about

That miss…. on 14:52 - Aug 31 with 1327 viewsDannyPaddox

Hugill missed a worse chance in front of the Loft a few seasons ago. Not even a goalkeeper to beat. Difference with Hugill is he followed it up 10 minutes later with a sublime lob over the keeper and into the net. Can’t remember who against - it was the season when most of the other teams in the Championship began with B and wore a migraine-inducing day-glo away kit.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 14:53]
That miss…. on 14:58 - Aug 31 with 1305 viewsslmrstid

That miss…. on 14:52 - Aug 31 by DannyPaddox

Hugill missed a worse chance in front of the Loft a few seasons ago. Not even a goalkeeper to beat. Difference with Hugill is he followed it up 10 minutes later with a sublime lob over the keeper and into the net. Can’t remember who against - it was the season when most of the other teams in the Championship began with B and wore a migraine-inducing day-glo away kit.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 14:53]

Think I remember this, wasn't that against Wigan quite early on in the season when we won 3-1? Seem to remember him missing a sitter in front of the goal but then curling one in from 20 yards or so.
That miss…. on 15:10 - Aug 31 with 1272 viewsDannyPaddox

That miss…. on 14:58 - Aug 31 by slmrstid

Think I remember this, wasn't that against Wigan quite early on in the season when we won 3-1? Seem to remember him missing a sitter in front of the goal but then curling one in from 20 yards or so.

Well remembered. Curl is a better description.

The miss is at 01.10. The goal is 10 seconds later.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024