Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post/Pre-Season Thoughts 15:00 - Jun 15 with 1337 viewsRicardo

Further to my last posting I have taken more time to reflect on the events over the last few days (although it feels longer than a season in many ways).

My Goodness -the last 20-30 years
--------------------------------------------

We are all (well most of us anyway) used to getting ready for the end of the season — thankful we remain in league football. And enjoying having a break. And then looking forward to the “new dawn” that might just happen, next season just please, once, for OUR club. But it never did — others came and went, we saw others go into non-league, emerge victorious, and go onto bigger and better things than we had seen in (largely) living memory. Darlington, Lincoln, D&R, ………

And then things started to improve. I really believe this revolution started when the “old board” took control from that unfunny comedian. I think it really started to demonstrate itself with Dave Sutton as manager — for once we had a reasonable chance of watching enjoyable football and being proud of OUR team (admittedly not withstanding THAT goal v Halifax by Wakinshaw).

Lets not forget how our stadium also changed during the tenure of Messrs. Kilpatrick and Morris — as well as improvements on the pitch. We were all less worried about relegation during those years.

Ok — a couple of hiccups — and I don’t want to dwell on those at all — but that period did give us our first playoff adventure.

Then Dave Kikpatrick passes the reigns to the long-standing fan (and director over many years of the post Cannon era) to keep the ship on course — Chris Dunphy.

(More) Recent History
-----------------------------

And how we have continued to build under Chris (so to speak). Many may suggest Chris was “lucky” with Keith Hill - and that may be initially true. However it was not “lucky” to remove the manager at the time (SP) and give a new man time and opportunity to sort things out. It was also not lucky to see that his “please help us out for a couple of weeks” tactical move be quickly consolidated into a permanent role. Nor was it lucky to then to endorse and support his 5-year strategic plan (at that point in time). Finally it was not luck to try and tie Hillcroft to the club — by offering exactly what Hillcroft requested (and supporting the development of a significant improvement in backroom support).

I could suggest it was unlucky that Hillcroft decided their future lay elsewhere after being promised all they had asked for.

Anyway — that is my reflection on the end of a brilliant season last year — and the hope for a new season as I then saw it.

Looking Forwards (then)
--------------------------------

Looking forwards, as we always did, to the new season with (often unfounded) optimism I really and genuinely feel there is real cause for such optimism — my goodness — our management team were intact, been promised all they asked for, and looking to build on their experience from a very successful first year in League 1.

Then Barnsley were mentioned, discounted, and, ultimately, got our team. What an emotional rush (and let down to be honest).

I have to admit to being aggrieved that Keith was able to take his backroom staff with him (and the manner of his departure) — but I have to admit I don’t know the full circumstances surrounding this. All I can say is time is a great healer and I wish them all the best for the future having thanked them for the great times we have enjoyed (FA Cup results beside).

Looking Forwards (now)
-------------------------------

Welcome to Steve.

It was so welcoming to understand that we didn’t go a typical tried and tested way — how would we have felt if an Ince, Taylor (Peter), Gannon etc. was coming over. And, for goodness sake, a Coleman? Could you imagine our reaction to a Simpson?

As a club our directors have to be applauded for trying something new - and that we didn’t want another “old-timer with nothing to prove” — my words — not anyone else’s. And how encouraging is it to understand the directors have done their homework — a caliber of coach who has survived 21 years of turmoil at the “council house”, and looked after many players of note — and to have the backing of Mancini and Kidd? And to have (rumours to be proved) — but even rumours of good old Rochdale taking the primes striking asset Bunn on loan for a season)? And to have the courage to request someone to apply?

Mr. Dunphy — take a bow.

On a final note how pleasing is it to all of us to understand that Steve is willing to leave Man City, and persuade Mr. Bunn to leave Newcastle? To ROCHDALE. Who’d have thought that 2 years — no, sorry - even 4 ½ years ago?

So — fresh, ambitious, young, enthusiastic …. Way to go — nothing wrong with a calculated risk — and the directors are to be applauded and given the full support to let this new team build on the solid foundations, financially and otherwise, that have been created.

As part of Team Rochdale we, the fans, must support that foundation and give it every possibility to find its feet, and take us further forward than we could ever have believed. I only hope the Sheiks don’t come knocking at the door too soon!

I hope we are all behind the new team, what I can personally say is that I’m looking forward to the new season — perhaps even more than last season — and that’s saying something.

Credit where it is due — infinity out of 10 for our directors vision, courage and execution. I can only hope that Mr. Rochdale himself comes on the journey — please do so Gary.

Look forward to seeing (most of) you next year

Cheers

Ricardo
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024