Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Start of the Bentley era? 23:10 - Feb 11 with 8437 viewsSheffield_dale

Trying to snowball some positivity but is it fair to say today is the start of the Bentley era? Perhaps the end of the Stockdale drain?

The team is now pretty much majority his signings. He's had a full week with the team training. Today was a massive improvement and hopefully sign of things to come.

Going to be a tough ask but I feel we are more equipped than a few weeks ago
Start of the Bentley era? on 19:29 - Feb 14 with 609 views49thseason

Start of the Bentley era? on 14:25 - Feb 14 by DaleiLama

Can't remember if I mentioned this previously, but when working for a company supplying the auto sector, I was initially bewildered at the lengths especially Japanese OEMs went to get quality 100% on a single part, until it was explained to me that each car has 30k parts and if there is a small fault with each part, you will have a car with 30k faults. The flipside of this is the Marginal Gains Theory - improving and optimising your performance by a small amount across a number of different areas will lead to much more significant, noticeable improvements overall. Having followed cycling for a long time, the evidence is there for all to see in the Brailsford methodology, whether or not other factors came into play.

With respect to football, though, especially at L2 level, playing in a league where "everything is much of a muchness", whilst not discounting the benefits of marginal gains, I can't help but think that working on desire, self-belief and confidence will be lower hanging fruits, which will lead to more success if nurtured. I mentioned before the forum that confidence is lacking just about everywhere within the club and probably nowhere more so than out on the pitch.

I think someone referenced Ten Hag's reaction to Brentford (I think it was) running 11.8km as a team more than Utd, so he made the whole squad go on an 11.8km run and he accompanied them. The point he was making was obvious.

I was reading in the paper on Saturday that Dyche is having Eddie Jones in to glean "golden nuggets". He also has Peter Reid and Joe Royle lined up. Graeme Sharp is also on his list and Kiddo. He said of Peter Reid - if anyone asks who is that little fella, he'll say he had a heart as big as a bison and he could play.
When at Burnley, he had Tony Smith of Warrington Wolves and Stuart Pearce - all just to get ideas from, as a litmus test for visitors to get a feel for the place with outside eyes. Tony said "I know nothing about football, but I know it is right here. I can smell it in the air", which Pearcey agreed with.

I have to say that the starting X1 on Saturday gave more effort and showed more desire and willingness to get stuck in than has been on display for too long. In my opinion, our survival, like winning, will come down to who wants it most, not squeezing an extra 1% of performance out here or there. Not saying performance should be ignored, but the shear will to win is what we need to see more of for the rest of this season.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2023 14:27]

I can answer the Japanesempartmofmyour observation. Prior to ww2, the " made in Japan" sticker on goods was a source of derision, poor quality and shocking design. Following the Japanese defeat, an American statistician, W Edwards Deming was sent to japan to oversee their new elections. Whilst there he was also asked to try to reopen manufacturing factories and what he found made him gather together company managers and set out a system of management principles that ultimately restored Japanese manufacturing to a world leading position the emphasis was on quality and getting management to listen to the suggestions of the people on production lines ultimately Deming created a system that could be used in all manufacturing systems and systems that create and output (for example Education) and which has lessons for every single company regardless of size, industry or country.
The Deming process is outlined in his 14 points. But in a single word boils down to Quality
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024