Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City 12:46 - Feb 12 with 13491 viewsmagicdaps10

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:20 - Feb 15 with 858 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:18 - Feb 15 by vetchonian

I have to stop repeating myself!!!
Senior moment

Happens to us all on here Vetch.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:22 - Feb 15 with 848 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:20 - Feb 15 by KeithHaynes

Fisher was signed before Downes.

Darling was definitely a straight fee of around 1.4 million, Allen had a signing on fee but it’s speculation. Believed to be around 250k plus 11k a week.

I can’t see flex and Stevens being much more than an agreed 5k a week or when added up a lump fee of the same.

Ipswich do have a sell on fee. I would say on speculation around one million.

Sorinola, god knows.

But again it won’t be huge.

Downes went for absolute millions. How much we got up front again is speculation but definitely 5 million plus initially.

We should also be aware that the playing staff has been drastically reduced, plus we won’t be paying Obafemi’s salary now.

I think the books are well balanced, and definitely not in the red.

Good answer.
Now why isn't my team sheet from Monday up yet ?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:24 - Feb 15 with 837 viewsKeithHaynes

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:22 - Feb 15 by STID2017

Good answer.

I know not what you speak of 💁🏻‍♀️

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:25 - Feb 15 with 837 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:19 - Feb 15 by vetchonian

I think Resolven has mentioned it once or twice

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:26 - Feb 15 with 834 viewsvetchonian

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:22 - Feb 15 by STID2017

Good answer.

Exactly books well balanced and not in the red....a good place to be maybe peeps should look at the Tommy Hutch thread remind themselves of where we were the last time we fell from the top table!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:26 - Feb 15 with 834 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:24 - Feb 15 by KeithHaynes

I know not what you speak of 💁🏻‍♀️

PM'd you

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:30 - Feb 15 with 827 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:26 - Feb 15 by vetchonian

Exactly books well balanced and not in the red....a good place to be maybe peeps should look at the Tommy Hutch thread remind themselves of where we were the last time we fell from the top table!

Let's hope we dont see the lower echelons of the football league pyramid again 🙏🙏🙏

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 22:07 - Feb 15 with 778 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:33 - Feb 15 by whiterock

Just remember the figures quoted for Ronato Sanches was £7m loan fee, which, I assume included his wages? We all thought it was a bit of a coup when the deal was done, soon changed our minds, but whilst that was excessive, most loan deals cost us.

Most loan deals cost something. Whether that’s a fee, a fee and all wages, a fee and part wages, no fee and full wages or no fee and part wages.

When we are talking about loan fees, they are usually free when youth Premier League player is involved. Brewster and Tammy Abraham for example were both free, I believe Guehi was also free and I think Gallagher was.

It’s about getting the right club for their development, not trying to get an extra couple of hundred thousand as a fee. A successful loan can add 8 figures to their value.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2023 22:09]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Login to get fewer ads

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 22:11 - Feb 15 with 773 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:25 - Feb 15 by jack247

Yes of course. I understand that point and agree with it.

However you can’t do that consistently and simultaneously improve the squad. Net spend is never going to be an exact science, but it’s a fairly decent rule of thumb.

It’s never a decent rule of thumb.

Put up a league table of spend + squad value and it will pretty much churn out the finishing league table (there or there abouts),

Do the same for net spend and it will be wildly inaccurate, probably no different to randomly picking finishing positions out of a hat.

Want to try?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 07:59 - Feb 16 with 733 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 22:11 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s never a decent rule of thumb.

Put up a league table of spend + squad value and it will pretty much churn out the finishing league table (there or there abouts),

Do the same for net spend and it will be wildly inaccurate, probably no different to randomly picking finishing positions out of a hat.

Want to try?

If it’s wildly inaccurate, you should be able to find plenty of examples of clubs with a net spend of -104 million (euros as taken from transfermarkt) since relegation that haven’t regressed.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 10:58 - Feb 16 with 706 viewswhiterock

There was/is a screen grab spread sheet doing the rounds on what's app, how true it is I couldn't tell you but it had every player listed, salary, yearly salary, age and nationality, few surprises picked out below...

Matt Grimes top earner £21k a week
Fin Stevens next on £20k
Andy Fisher on £13k
Joe Allen on £12k
Joel Piroe, and Luke Cundle on £10k
Michael Obafemi £9k
Armstron Oko-Flex £5,500
Steven Benda £4,600
Matthew Sorinola £1,900
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:28 - Feb 16 with 682 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 07:59 - Feb 16 by jack247

If it’s wildly inaccurate, you should be able to find plenty of examples of clubs with a net spend of -104 million (euros as taken from transfermarkt) since relegation that haven’t regressed.

There is no “if” about it, it IS wildly inaccurate.

In your version, the league table should look like this come the end of the season, ranked by net spend:-

1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Nottingham Forest
4. West Ham
5. Newcastle
6. Southampton
7. Arsenal
8. Tottenham
9. Bournemouth
10. Wolves
11. Liverpool
12. Fulham
13. Brentford
14. Leeds
15. Palace
16. Villa
17. Everton
18. Leicester
19. Man City
20. Brighton

Chelsea winning the league, Southampton and Forest in the Champions League and Man City and Brighton getting relegated.

Interesting…. (ahem)

Here’s my version, actual spend + squad value:

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Man Utd
6. Tottenham
7. Newcastle
8. West Ham
9. Leicester
10. Villa
11. Wolves
12. Southampton
13. Everton
14. Forest
15. Palace
16. Brighton
17. Brentford
18. Leeds
19. Fulham
20. Bournemouth

Man City winning the league, Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal in the champions league and Bournemouth and Leeds relegated.

What sounds more realistic to you, my version or yours? Be honest….

Let’s do another bet (although you look to be losing the last two you placed with me).

End of the season, we will count up every team and how far away the above predictions are. I’ll give you a MASSIVE 10 point head-start.

For example if Man City come 2nd, that’s -1 point for me and -18 points for you etc etc

£100?

Deal?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2023 11:47]

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:47 - Feb 16 with 675 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:28 - Feb 16 by Dr_Parnassus

There is no “if” about it, it IS wildly inaccurate.

In your version, the league table should look like this come the end of the season, ranked by net spend:-

1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Nottingham Forest
4. West Ham
5. Newcastle
6. Southampton
7. Arsenal
8. Tottenham
9. Bournemouth
10. Wolves
11. Liverpool
12. Fulham
13. Brentford
14. Leeds
15. Palace
16. Villa
17. Everton
18. Leicester
19. Man City
20. Brighton

Chelsea winning the league, Southampton and Forest in the Champions League and Man City and Brighton getting relegated.

Interesting…. (ahem)

Here’s my version, actual spend + squad value:

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Man Utd
6. Tottenham
7. Newcastle
8. West Ham
9. Leicester
10. Villa
11. Wolves
12. Southampton
13. Everton
14. Forest
15. Palace
16. Brighton
17. Brentford
18. Leeds
19. Fulham
20. Bournemouth

Man City winning the league, Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal in the champions league and Bournemouth and Leeds relegated.

What sounds more realistic to you, my version or yours? Be honest….

Let’s do another bet (although you look to be losing the last two you placed with me).

End of the season, we will count up every team and how far away the above predictions are. I’ll give you a MASSIVE 10 point head-start.

For example if Man City come 2nd, that’s -1 point for me and -18 points for you etc etc

£100?

Deal?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2023 11:47]

Oh come on.

We’re talking about our peers, not oil rich Premier League teams with squads already worth multiple hundreds of millions being investigated for FFP breaches. We’re also not talking about newly promoted PL teams that have spent more on players this season than we probably have ever.

Make it relevant to the Championship and give me examples of clubs who have taken more than €100m than they have spent since relegation.

It’s a thread about Swansea City on a Swansea City forum.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:50 - Feb 16 with 666 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:47 - Feb 16 by jack247

Oh come on.

We’re talking about our peers, not oil rich Premier League teams with squads already worth multiple hundreds of millions being investigated for FFP breaches. We’re also not talking about newly promoted PL teams that have spent more on players this season than we probably have ever.

Make it relevant to the Championship and give me examples of clubs who have taken more than €100m than they have spent since relegation.

It’s a thread about Swansea City on a Swansea City forum.

132 to 90 is the above by the way, my favour.

I’ll happily do it for the championship too, my way will always be more accurate because net spend is nonsense.

I’ll be back…

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:59 - Feb 16 with 669 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:50 - Feb 16 by Dr_Parnassus

132 to 90 is the above by the way, my favour.

I’ll happily do it for the championship too, my way will always be more accurate because net spend is nonsense.

I’ll be back…

All I’m asking you to do is provide examples of relegated teams who have an average surplus of £20m or so per season without regressing.

Your principle will be the same in the Championship, it just won’t be as extreme. Burnley are competing with a virtual PL squad. They could afford to sell their best 3 or 4 players and still win the league. It’s completely skewed as teams who already have better players don’t need to spend. You already know that, which is why you went to the PL first.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:05 - Feb 16 with 666 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:59 - Feb 16 by jack247

All I’m asking you to do is provide examples of relegated teams who have an average surplus of £20m or so per season without regressing.

Your principle will be the same in the Championship, it just won’t be as extreme. Burnley are competing with a virtual PL squad. They could afford to sell their best 3 or 4 players and still win the league. It’s completely skewed as teams who already have better players don’t need to spend. You already know that, which is why you went to the PL first.

Plus Burnley have spent in excess of £60K
Don't expect fair comparisons - you will be disappointed

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:14 - Feb 16 with 665 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:05 - Feb 16 by STID2017

Plus Burnley have spent in excess of £60K
Don't expect fair comparisons - you will be disappointed

I’m not expecting them. I’m literally asking him to evidence Championship teams that have a similar net spend to us that haven’t regressed.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:23 - Feb 16 with 652 viewsDr_Parnassus

This is your version by the way, net spend:

1. Norwich
2. Sheff Utd
…………………………
3. Sunderland
4. Millwall
5. Blackburn
6. WBA
…………………………
7. Luton
8. Birmingham
9. Cardiff
10. Preston
11. Reading
12. Wigan
13. QPR
14. Rotherham
15. Coventry
16. Blackpool
17. Hull
18. Swansea
19. Bristol C
20. Huddersfield
21. Boro
……………………..
22. Stoke
23. Burnley
24. Watford

You have 160 inaccuracy points, Burnley and Watford relegated and Cardiff top 10.

My version:

1. Watford
2. Norwich
…………………………
3. Burnley
4. Sheff Utd
5. Boro
6. Blackburn
…………………………
7. WBA
8. Hull
9. QPR
10. Stoke
11. Preston
12. Sunderland
13. Swansea
14. Cardiff
15. Millwall
16. Birmingham
17. Luton
18. Coventry
19. Reading
20. Blackpool
21. Bristol City
……………………..
22. Huddersfield
23. Rotherham
24. Wigan

I have 112 in total of inaccuracy points and a much more realistic looking table. Remember the lower the points the better.

The outcome will always be the same. This will be the case for every league and every season in every country.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 4:35]

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:26 - Feb 16 with 649 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:59 - Feb 16 by jack247

I went to PL first because the information is easier and there is less teams.

The Championship shows it even more so than the PL does.

I’ve said you can pick any league you want, any year.

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:34 - Feb 16 with 652 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:26 - Feb 16 by Dr_Parnassus

I went to PL first because the information is easier and there is less teams.

The Championship shows it even more so than the PL does.

I’ve said you can pick any league you want, any year.

Again, you’re diverting. I’m asking you for examples over the timeframe since we got relegated. Consistently, year in year our, just like us.

It’s blindingly obvious that relegated PL teams are going to sell their best couple of players and have a big surplus that season. Absolutely no issue with our fire sale at the time (although most clubs are well run enough to retain the core of their squads).

Even in your PL example, Brighton would eventually get relegated and Man City would slide down the table if they were in those positions every season. Conversely, Forest probably would get in the CL if they spent that much year in year out. Let’s see what happens with Newcastle the next couple of seasons.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:36 - Feb 16 with 643 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:34 - Feb 16 by jack247

Again, you’re diverting. I’m asking you for examples over the timeframe since we got relegated. Consistently, year in year our, just like us.

It’s blindingly obvious that relegated PL teams are going to sell their best couple of players and have a big surplus that season. Absolutely no issue with our fire sale at the time (although most clubs are well run enough to retain the core of their squads).

Even in your PL example, Brighton would eventually get relegated and Man City would slide down the table if they were in those positions every season. Conversely, Forest probably would get in the CL if they spent that much year in year out. Let’s see what happens with Newcastle the next couple of seasons.

How is it diverting?

I’m literally showing you that net spend does not affect things on the scale you believe.

I’ve proven it in the Premier League, I’ve proven it in the Championship and not only that asked you to pick any year and any league of your choice.

As for a specific club example, you mean like Brentford?

2018/19: +35m transfer profit
2019/20: 390k transfer spend
2020/21: +54.7m transfer profit

Average net spend of +£29.9m profit each season to the tune of nearly £90m in total (or €101m as your preferred currency).

2018/19: 11th in Championship
2019/20: 3rd in Championship (81 points)
2020/21: 3rd in Championship (87 points)

Stop now. Your argument is senseless.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 4:37]

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:53 - Feb 16 with 639 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:36 - Feb 16 by Dr_Parnassus

How is it diverting?

I’m literally showing you that net spend does not affect things on the scale you believe.

I’ve proven it in the Premier League, I’ve proven it in the Championship and not only that asked you to pick any year and any league of your choice.

As for a specific club example, you mean like Brentford?

2018/19: +35m transfer profit
2019/20: 390k transfer spend
2020/21: +54.7m transfer profit

Average net spend of +£29.9m profit each season to the tune of nearly £90m in total (or €101m as your preferred currency).

2018/19: 11th in Championship
2019/20: 3rd in Championship (81 points)
2020/21: 3rd in Championship (87 points)

Stop now. Your argument is senseless.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 4:37]

You know exactly how it’s diverting. I don’t need to explain that relegated clubs will invariably sell their best couple of players whilst retaining a core PL squad, thus completely distorting that single seasons figures. I can’t think of any, bar us, that do it consistently year on year.

Brentford - yes absolutely. They completely beat the odds. They managed to sell at high prices and replace with better players for substantially less. If we were doing that, absolutely fine, but we’re not. They replaced Watkins and Berahino with Toney for 10% of the price.

Who have we brought in that’s better than James, McBurnie, Rodon, Roberts? Piroe for McBurnie arguably?

Any other examples or is it just one in the last 5 years?
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:04 - Feb 16 with 629 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:53 - Feb 16 by jack247

You know exactly how it’s diverting. I don’t need to explain that relegated clubs will invariably sell their best couple of players whilst retaining a core PL squad, thus completely distorting that single seasons figures. I can’t think of any, bar us, that do it consistently year on year.

Brentford - yes absolutely. They completely beat the odds. They managed to sell at high prices and replace with better players for substantially less. If we were doing that, absolutely fine, but we’re not. They replaced Watkins and Berahino with Toney for 10% of the price.

Who have we brought in that’s better than James, McBurnie, Rodon, Roberts? Piroe for McBurnie arguably?

Any other examples or is it just one in the last 5 years?

You are saying it’s diverting because you know it blows your whole argument out of the water, is provable and repeatable in every single league and every single season in every single country.

So you ask for an example, I give you one and now you want me to dig out more? Someone said something about moving the goalposts earlier didn’t they?

All you had to do was say, fair posts Dr P, you did what I asked and proved it both on a team specific level and a repeatable overall level.

We sold McBurnie for £20m and bought Piroe for £1m. We don’t play wingers so there is no replacement for James. Our history is littered with selling players for a lot of money and replacing them with better, more suitable players for far less.

My favourite one of course was selling Danny Graham for £5m and buying Michu and Chico for the same price combined.

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 15:02 - Feb 16 with 607 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:04 - Feb 16 by Dr_Parnassus

You are saying it’s diverting because you know it blows your whole argument out of the water, is provable and repeatable in every single league and every single season in every single country.

So you ask for an example, I give you one and now you want me to dig out more? Someone said something about moving the goalposts earlier didn’t they?

All you had to do was say, fair posts Dr P, you did what I asked and proved it both on a team specific level and a repeatable overall level.

We sold McBurnie for £20m and bought Piroe for £1m. We don’t play wingers so there is no replacement for James. Our history is littered with selling players for a lot of money and replacing them with better, more suitable players for far less.

My favourite one of course was selling Danny Graham for £5m and buying Michu and Chico for the same price combined.

I’m saying it’s diverting because promotion and relegation fundamentally skews the reality. I’d bet the relegated teams are near enough all at the bottom of the Championship one every single year.

You can pretend not to understand that point, it doesn’t matter, everyone else reading the thread will get it.

Brentford is a fantastic example. The fact there’s only one in the last 5 years speaks for itself.

Selling players and replacing with better for far less is absolutely laudable. That’s not what we’re doing. We’re selling and replacing with far worse in the main. That’s always the most likely outcome if you try to do it consistently.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 15:24 - Feb 16 with 598 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 15:02 - Feb 16 by jack247

I’m saying it’s diverting because promotion and relegation fundamentally skews the reality. I’d bet the relegated teams are near enough all at the bottom of the Championship one every single year.

You can pretend not to understand that point, it doesn’t matter, everyone else reading the thread will get it.

Brentford is a fantastic example. The fact there’s only one in the last 5 years speaks for itself.

Selling players and replacing with better for far less is absolutely laudable. That’s not what we’re doing. We’re selling and replacing with far worse in the main. That’s always the most likely outcome if you try to do it consistently.

Excellent post Jack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024