Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who next then? 20:59 - Apr 1 with 2177 viewsSheffield_dale

When was the last time we had 3 managers in a season?

Anyway, I have seen the stock list of lower league managers on the betting sites. They surely just wheel out the same list each time and it's almost always someone out of the blue.

So aside from the obvious, who is your slightly left field choice and why?

Mine is Lee Bullen.

Former Sheffield Wednesday coach and caretaker manager that has been at Ayr United a few seasons and done well.

I played in a charity game at Hillsborough where he took on the role of manager and captain. I've obviously never played at league level but I would have run through brick walls for him that day. He had something about him that was pretty unique and was well respected by the other former pros that day.

I knew he still has ties in Sheffield which is obviously not too far away either.

Who next then? on 21:28 - Apr 1 with 2078 viewspioneer

Since you are including caretakers then it was the Steve Eyre/Chris Beech/John Coleman relegation season.

Since Big Jim II has had two spells in charge I suppose you could say we have had four this season.

I believe Big Jim I is the first manager to appointed as ‘permanent’ manager (not caretaker) after the start of the season and fail to last that season.

Finally its the first time the managers post has been filled by two different scousers in the same season.
Who next then? on 01:55 - Apr 2 with 1882 viewsTomRAFC

I'd take Micky Mellon, if he was interested. He's got a good track record at the level below and in the league.

Having played for Dale shouldn't make someone a candidate for the job, especially if their time as a manager is non-existent or unsuccessful.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2023 1:55]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Who next then? on 11:47 - Apr 2 with 1560 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Who next then? on 01:55 - Apr 2 by TomRAFC

I'd take Micky Mellon, if he was interested. He's got a good track record at the level below and in the league.

Having played for Dale shouldn't make someone a candidate for the job, especially if their time as a manager is non-existent or unsuccessful.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2023 1:55]

Your points about ex players is totally spot on. It's managerial competency we need , not loyalty to former or indeed current players. All of these players got paid for doing a job , not as though they played for the Dale due to their love of the Club or town apart from a very small number, who were born and bred in Rochdale or grew up watching the Dale. As for this, knowing the Club inside out, well it's a football club, the same as the vast majority of football clubs. Having had history at this Club doesn't make someone a good candidate to be our manager or coach. In my opinion now is not the time to gamble on inexperience. We need an experienced lower league manager who together with a Director of Football can steady the ship with the football side of things while the Board steady the ship off the field. I would say that going for the cheap option could end up costing way more, assuming we are in the NL next season another relegation fight with crappy football would cost a lot of money due to lower crowds and other associated income. There is of course no guarantee that a manager with a proven track record would be successful, but there is more of a chance that would be the case.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Who next then? on 13:13 - Apr 2 with 1435 viewsfrenzied

Who next then? on 11:47 - Apr 2 by foreverhopefulDale

Your points about ex players is totally spot on. It's managerial competency we need , not loyalty to former or indeed current players. All of these players got paid for doing a job , not as though they played for the Dale due to their love of the Club or town apart from a very small number, who were born and bred in Rochdale or grew up watching the Dale. As for this, knowing the Club inside out, well it's a football club, the same as the vast majority of football clubs. Having had history at this Club doesn't make someone a good candidate to be our manager or coach. In my opinion now is not the time to gamble on inexperience. We need an experienced lower league manager who together with a Director of Football can steady the ship with the football side of things while the Board steady the ship off the field. I would say that going for the cheap option could end up costing way more, assuming we are in the NL next season another relegation fight with crappy football would cost a lot of money due to lower crowds and other associated income. There is of course no guarantee that a manager with a proven track record would be successful, but there is more of a chance that would be the case.

Id agree with all this.

Prefer a completely fresh face to the club rather than anyone with any previous link to us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024