Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea 09:05 - May 18 with 3852 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60243/russell-martin-lin

If’s and buts, and maybe ? Click above.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 09:29 - May 18 with 3165 viewsWhiterockin

One thing for certain is he will not be given the time he has here. This will be Southampton's 4th manager since November. When he came here I was told he would be given 18 months whatever happened, at Southampton he will not have that luxury, how long will it take to change the club from top to bottom as he has done here and at MK. Both the club and RM need to think long and hard, do they want ££££s or progression.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 10:36 - May 18 with 3081 viewsBadlands

An interesting read.
If Soton makes an offer he will go. I just hope he doesn’t bad mouth anyone on the way out.
My worry is he stays and get the players he wants over the summer then we could see another group of underwhelming and unused transfers.
If he stays and doesn’t get the players will get the reaction we had in February? Even a Obafemi like pout from knowing he could be somewhere else? Pure speculation but reading his character I'd say that it is possible.
Whatever happens it needs to happen soon.
Finally, the financial comments are interesting. It sets out the reality of the parachute payment value. For years we've read Swans fans ask what happened to the parachute payments and refer to the money the Yanks have syphoned off! The payment is huge but so are the losses and the financial commitments that clubs have which eat into it.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 11:33 - May 18 with 2994 viewsbuilthjack

The owners should have given him another 2 years with at least a £2million release clause.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 11:50 - May 18 with 2973 viewsdobjack2

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 10:36 - May 18 by Badlands

An interesting read.
If Soton makes an offer he will go. I just hope he doesn’t bad mouth anyone on the way out.
My worry is he stays and get the players he wants over the summer then we could see another group of underwhelming and unused transfers.
If he stays and doesn’t get the players will get the reaction we had in February? Even a Obafemi like pout from knowing he could be somewhere else? Pure speculation but reading his character I'd say that it is possible.
Whatever happens it needs to happen soon.
Finally, the financial comments are interesting. It sets out the reality of the parachute payment value. For years we've read Swans fans ask what happened to the parachute payments and refer to the money the Yanks have syphoned off! The payment is huge but so are the losses and the financial commitments that clubs have which eat into it.

My worry is that it becomes Groundhog Day, with the search for a new manager wrecking the pre-season, recruitment and retention.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 14:04 - May 18 with 2810 viewsReslovenSwan1

The shelf life of Swansea mangers is almost always a maximum of two years. It does not matter if you are a good manager, bad manager or average manager Few got to sit in the hot-seat for more than 2 seasons.

Guidolin was ideal. A real good experience manager but too old to get poached away. That change was foolish.

Martin is the most likely to break the 2 year ceiling because he is not a bad manager, but I thought, not yet god enough for a club with cash. A perfect "goldilocks" manager for Swansea.

I labelled him a Tony Mowbrey manager continually mid point in a process that never comes to fruition within the natural shelf life of managers. Mowbrey like Martin failed to fill in gaping holes in his first 11 and generally resides in mid table.

Mowbrey surprised me and got to the play off but perhaps predictably was not able to get them over the line by the force of his own will. There is always next season.

Southamptoon and Leicester do not have the time to give to Martin. He needs two season. Tat is too long for them.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 14:23 - May 18 with 2799 viewsBoundy

I only ever wanted stability within the Club ,a chance to grow and develop and yet here we are again , another summer of uncertainty , will he wont he, will they won't they .I was one of many who wanted Martin to go mid season because we looked rudderless ,players not performing ,a manager who was intransigent with no sign of compromise but towards the end of the season it looked like everthing was falling into place . My fear is should Martin go ,what players go with him , I believe our squad is good enough and with a couple of new faces to add pace then I believe we could be more that capable of a top 6 finish whether that is with or without Martin is the unknown .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 14:46 - May 18 with 2775 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 14:23 - May 18 by Boundy

I only ever wanted stability within the Club ,a chance to grow and develop and yet here we are again , another summer of uncertainty , will he wont he, will they won't they .I was one of many who wanted Martin to go mid season because we looked rudderless ,players not performing ,a manager who was intransigent with no sign of compromise but towards the end of the season it looked like everthing was falling into place . My fear is should Martin go ,what players go with him , I believe our squad is good enough and with a couple of new faces to add pace then I believe we could be more that capable of a top 6 finish whether that is with or without Martin is the unknown .

He will definitely go with Piroe and Manning. He will want as many good championship players with him to be his eyes and ears behind his back having learned from experience at Swansea I’m sure. They will also define his brand of football, and encourage support for him in a new dressing room, I can see Wood going as well.

IF he goes.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 15:48 - May 18 with 2710 viewsBadlands

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 14:04 - May 18 by ReslovenSwan1

The shelf life of Swansea mangers is almost always a maximum of two years. It does not matter if you are a good manager, bad manager or average manager Few got to sit in the hot-seat for more than 2 seasons.

Guidolin was ideal. A real good experience manager but too old to get poached away. That change was foolish.

Martin is the most likely to break the 2 year ceiling because he is not a bad manager, but I thought, not yet god enough for a club with cash. A perfect "goldilocks" manager for Swansea.

I labelled him a Tony Mowbrey manager continually mid point in a process that never comes to fruition within the natural shelf life of managers. Mowbrey like Martin failed to fill in gaping holes in his first 11 and generally resides in mid table.

Mowbrey surprised me and got to the play off but perhaps predictably was not able to get them over the line by the force of his own will. There is always next season.

Southamptoon and Leicester do not have the time to give to Martin. He needs two season. Tat is too long for them.

Guidolin was an outstanding manager and wonderful man. Got let down with players returning late from the Euros (some leaving late) and Jenkins trying to impress his new (ish) bosses. The appalling leaks about his position were drip fed for weeks and his sacking were, IMHO, the lowest point this club had hit since Petty.
His final three games were all losses but they were close (if only we'd had VAR) and we played outstanding football against two sides playing the best football in Europe at that time. The cup game against Man City had us playing a weakened side against a team with. £300,000,000+ bench.
Even at his advanced age I'd welcome him back in an instant.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 16:55 - May 18 with 2634 viewsQJumpingJack

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 15:48 - May 18 by Badlands

Guidolin was an outstanding manager and wonderful man. Got let down with players returning late from the Euros (some leaving late) and Jenkins trying to impress his new (ish) bosses. The appalling leaks about his position were drip fed for weeks and his sacking were, IMHO, the lowest point this club had hit since Petty.
His final three games were all losses but they were close (if only we'd had VAR) and we played outstanding football against two sides playing the best football in Europe at that time. The cup game against Man City had us playing a weakened side against a team with. £300,000,000+ bench.

it was very shoddy that the Bob Bradley press conference was at the hotel where Guidolin was staying. No class at all.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 17:04 - May 18 with 2614 viewsjojaca

We all have short memories, Russell should have been sacked. He's had a little run of form at the end of season and he's back to hot property. His managerial record is bang average.

Even when you know, you never know?

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 17:19 - May 18 with 2582 viewsWhiterockin

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 17:04 - May 18 by jojaca

We all have short memories, Russell should have been sacked. He's had a little run of form at the end of season and he's back to hot property. His managerial record is bang average.

Then nobody will want him.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 19:01 - May 18 with 2490 viewsmajorraglan

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 15:48 - May 18 by Badlands

Re your comment about welcoming Guidloin back, so would I. He’s got an excellent track record of getting Italian teams promoted and I think he could do something here. My only concern is whether his time away from coaching and a lack of player knowledge in England and Wales would hamper him, that said a decent Director of Football and scouting system could bridge that gap.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 19:27 - May 18 with 2452 viewsKeithHaynes

No panic here, just what we thought was an educated view of the current situation.

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 20:08 - May 18 with 2361 viewsQJumpingJack

If Martin has travelled to Washington surely this is for constructive discussions about the future.

If he was leaving surely it would have been done over Google hang-out?
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 20:15 - May 18 with 2341 viewsKeithHaynes

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 20:08 - May 18 by QJumpingJack

If Martin has travelled to Washington surely this is for constructive discussions about the future.

If he was leaving surely it would have been done over Google hang-out?

According to some he delayed it by a day.
Make of that what you will.

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 20:27 - May 18 with 2315 viewsswan_si

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 20:15 - May 18 by KeithHaynes

According to some he delayed it by a day.
Make of that what you will.

He had an appointment at the barbers. 🧔
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 20:47 - May 18 with 2254 viewsModeratorB

Brilliant thread. Full of different thoughts, people disagreeing but nothing personal. Great to see
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 08:07 - May 19 with 1949 viewsQJumpingJack

At the start of the season I expect Winter and Levien set Martin and his team performance targets / "KPIs". We won't know what these were.
Martin is probably bonused on hitting some of these targets.

I expect the meeting in Washington will include reviewing his performance vs targets from last season - this is what could determine Martin's future.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 09:12 - May 19 with 1902 viewsFireboy2

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 08:07 - May 19 by QJumpingJack

At the start of the season I expect Winter and Levien set Martin and his team performance targets / "KPIs". We won't know what these were.
Martin is probably bonused on hitting some of these targets.

I expect the meeting in Washington will include reviewing his performance vs targets from last season - this is what could determine Martin's future.

They could do that over a zoom meeting.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 10:10 - May 19 with 1841 viewsbuilthjack

He came out looking like a mohican. No width.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 11:13 - May 19 with 1797 viewsQJumpingJack

Not confirmed but there is a Swans fan on twitter claiming that Martin is still in Swansea - so he is yet to travel to the US.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 11:14 - May 19 with 1793 viewsFireboy2

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 11:13 - May 19 by QJumpingJack

Not confirmed but there is a Swans fan on twitter claiming that Martin is still in Swansea - so he is yet to travel to the US.

Is it the same tvvat who said that martin had signed a new contract.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 11:16 - May 19 with 1792 viewsQJumpingJack

no. different user / recognised Swans fan.
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 17:19 - May 19 with 1655 viewsEagleEye

Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 11:13 - May 19 by QJumpingJack

Saw him this morning jogging on the prom … don’t know if he has been to the USA or not
[Post edited 19 May 2023 17:22]
Russell Martin links and the thought process of the majority owners at Swansea on 17:50 - May 19 with 1550 viewsshandyjack

Why are owners being blamed?
They can’t force Martin to stay if he wants to go. Surely the fact they are letting him go early is a good thing so they can’t replace him early and not have the Cooper dibacal again

Poll: Expectation for the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024