Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 90376 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 07:32 - Jun 17 with 2571 viewsMalintabuk

Ashes 2023 on 21:07 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

If the Aussies get a 200 lead then the declaration won't matter anyway as we would have probably only got another 30/40 runs

Like I've said previously not picking Wood is more of an issue than the declaration imo

Totall agree with that I would have played Woods as well.
The point for me is if they were bowled out for 420 say and lost then you hold your hands up and say move on... if we lose now by a few runs then it won't go down well. Just think by declaring when he did he as left himself open. But another great day in store hopefully
Ashes 2023 on 09:36 - Jun 17 with 2461 viewsHayesender

Apparently a bit of cloud cover in Brum today. Get that ball swinging boys

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ashes 2023 on 09:47 - Jun 17 with 2444 viewsderbyhoop

Declaring was a brave decision. 4 overs at the end of the day might have brought some success. Without a wicket it looks an unnecessary gamble. Hindsight, eh?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ashes 2023 on 11:31 - Jun 17 with 2406 viewswesty

Gonna be a long day for England today me thinks
Ashes 2023 on 11:39 - Jun 17 with 2398 viewsRangersw12

Told ya we shouldn't of picked Broad 😂
Ashes 2023 on 11:40 - Jun 17 with 2396 viewsted_hendrix

Warner V Broad.

LOL.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 12:08 - Jun 17 with 2330 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 22:55 - Jun 16 by daveB

has to be a balance, that just seems insane as did the declaration, hope it works though

11 wins in 13 does indeed sound insane. Balance is boring.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 13:31 - Jun 17 with 2259 viewsLimehouseR

England's session that with Smith gone.
The mentality of tis team plays a big part and I think the Aussies are starting to realise what Bad ball is really about. They won't say they are but I think they are a bit rattled. They're trying to play their game but England are just overwhelming when they are in the ascendency...
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 17:38 - Jun 17 with 2108 viewsNov77

Been sitting here waiting for England to get a wicket with a no ball, and there it is. Stokes and broad have been doing it all day. Criminal.

Bairstow’s missed a couple of chances too..

Really need to take advantage of the new ball now.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 17:49 - Jun 17 with 2093 viewsMalintabuk

A little disappointing. Was at a Spitfire game the other week and we were saying that leaving Foakes out could be costly. Understand that Birstow was hard to leave out, but no good scoring 50 odds when you miss chances and they score more
But a fantastic knock by Kawaja who as proved in a 5 day game it don't have to be crash bang wallop... aggressive yes.
Can see the Aussies over taking us here, where we could have batted them out of the game with a little more care
Ashes 2023 on 18:01 - Jun 17 with 2080 viewsstowmarketrange

I’m getting bored with the crap commentary from Sky.That bird’s voice is enough to send me to sleep and Pieterson isn’t much better.
Bring back Lloyd,Gower and Botham.
Ashes 2023 on 18:40 - Jun 17 with 2024 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ashes 2023 on 09:47 - Jun 17 by derbyhoop

Declaring was a brave decision. 4 overs at the end of the day might have brought some success. Without a wicket it looks an unnecessary gamble. Hindsight, eh?

No, I thought it was a poor decision at the time and have seen little today to change my mind.
Ashes 2023 on 12:10 - Jun 18 with 1828 viewsHooparoo

Nicely poised

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 12:12 - Jun 18 with 1825 viewskensalriser

Can someone who knows more about cricket than I do (little) explain why England declared the first innings?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ashes 2023 on 12:20 - Jun 18 with 1810 viewsMedwayR

Ashes 2023 on 12:12 - Jun 18 by kensalriser

Can someone who knows more about cricket than I do (little) explain why England declared the first innings?

As I understand it, we need to get Australia out twice so need the time to do that whilst we can put on runs quickly batting shorter periods of time. The last half an hour of the day can be difficult to bat in so we may have had some luck and taken a wicket or two that evening.

I'm more concerned about us picking a wicket-keeper who can't keep and a spinner who isn't physically able to bowl for more than a day.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes 2023 on 12:42 - Jun 18 with 1786 viewsjohnhoop

Phil Tufnell just explained it on TMS.
He said, “First innings runs are crucial. We decided to declare. We obviously don’t like first innings runs.”
Tongue in cheek, I know, but if they get anything much of a lead we’re going to look pretty silly.
Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jun 18 with 1754 viewsClive_Anderson

Blimey we've managed to get a lead from the first innings....who saw that coming a couple of hours ago. I thought we'd be giving up 150.

This England side always seem to pull something out the hat when needed (if I haven't just jinxed it).
Ashes 2023 on 13:10 - Jun 18 with 1745 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jun 18 by Clive_Anderson

Blimey we've managed to get a lead from the first innings....who saw that coming a couple of hours ago. I thought we'd be giving up 150.

This England side always seem to pull something out the hat when needed (if I haven't just jinxed it).

All up for grabs

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 13:22 - Jun 18 with 1725 viewsMatch82

Appears to have been psychological. It's interesting if nothing else.
Ashes 2023 on 13:33 - Jun 18 with 1704 viewsHoopstar

Should make for an entertaining second half of the test then - with rain in the air, and almost dead even.

I love Bairstow as a batter but with Foakes in there as keeper you'd fancy the Aussies would have been 60 or so worse off, though he did take a worldie to get rid of Labuschagne.

Anyone's game here - Aussies potentially slight faves with the better spin attack on a, theoretically, deterioating wicket?
Ashes 2023 on 14:52 - Jun 18 with 1624 viewsRangersw12

The rain is good news for our day 5 tickets

England must be favourites with Aussies having to bat last on a wearing pitch . Anyone over 250 is gonna be difficult to chase
Ashes 2023 on 15:04 - Jun 18 with 1611 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 13:22 - Jun 18 by Match82

Appears to have been psychological. It's interesting if nothing else.

I think it made perfect sense. Conventional wisdom says bat as long as you possibly can, get as many runs as you can. For Stokes and McCullum, they look at what we have left: Ollie Robinson who might swing his bat at a few, and then Anderson, who might dig in but won't get you many runs.

So, instead of putting on 20-30 more and then running out of time in the day, you go aggressively after wickets. Warner and Khawaja have to get in once in the evening: you either get a wicket then, which is great, or worst case they have to get in *again* the next morning. Do that 10 times and you'll pick up that wicket a few times.

On this occasion, it didn't quite work: but Warner did ok in the evening, then had to get himself in again in the morning, and couldn't get going. You could argue it worked - and overall, with a bit of better stuff from Bairstow, we'd have been 50-60 runs better off.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 15:26 - Jun 18 with 1602 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ashes 2023 on 15:04 - Jun 18 by Antti_Heinola

I think it made perfect sense. Conventional wisdom says bat as long as you possibly can, get as many runs as you can. For Stokes and McCullum, they look at what we have left: Ollie Robinson who might swing his bat at a few, and then Anderson, who might dig in but won't get you many runs.

So, instead of putting on 20-30 more and then running out of time in the day, you go aggressively after wickets. Warner and Khawaja have to get in once in the evening: you either get a wicket then, which is great, or worst case they have to get in *again* the next morning. Do that 10 times and you'll pick up that wicket a few times.

On this occasion, it didn't quite work: but Warner did ok in the evening, then had to get himself in again in the morning, and couldn't get going. You could argue it worked - and overall, with a bit of better stuff from Bairstow, we'd have been 50-60 runs better off.

That makes perfect sense, however England were not down to just tail-enders; Root was still in and in fine fettle. Let him open up. If he adds another quickfire 40 runs, great, if he gets out then declare.

That all being said, the match is finely poised and with unpredictable weather forecast today and day 5, I can understand the logic. If anything, it shows courage and a desire to try and win the game.
Ashes 2023 on 16:24 - Jun 18 with 1563 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Indeed but I have a horrible feeling that the conditions will work against England. Overcast conditions today followed by dry conditions tomorrow will probably favour the team batting tomorrow. Part of me is hoping today will be washed out so England can have the best of it tomorrow.
Ashes 2023 on 10:00 - Jun 19 with 1377 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 12:08 - Jun 17 by Antti_Heinola

11 wins in 13 does indeed sound insane. Balance is boring.

not knocking the last 13 games, just think in this scenario in a very tight game not getting those extra 30/40 runs on offer the way Root was playing seems mad. They should be brave and aggressive but that looks reckless
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024