Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utter Garbage 17:50 - Feb 3 with 2701 viewsBarrowdale

Im afraid you can get whoever you want into the club but playing that turgid slow sideways game will be the death of this club.
I cant watch any more of this.
Utter Garbage on 18:09 - Feb 3 with 2582 views442Dale

It’s been said time and again this season that when we play without tempo the football becomes ineffective. Today was the best (worst?) example of this.

But also again, we’ve shown on enough occasions that playing slow sideways football is not our preferred style as we’ve been direct and mixed it up to good effect. Today was rubbish, but let’s not overreact either.

There are bigger more important problems to address at Dale than a few bad results on the pitch.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Utter Garbage on 18:53 - Feb 3 with 2366 viewsnordenblue

Utter Garbage on 18:09 - Feb 3 by 442Dale

It’s been said time and again this season that when we play without tempo the football becomes ineffective. Today was the best (worst?) example of this.

But also again, we’ve shown on enough occasions that playing slow sideways football is not our preferred style as we’ve been direct and mixed it up to good effect. Today was rubbish, but let’s not overreact either.

There are bigger more important problems to address at Dale than a few bad results on the pitch.

The product on the pitch is very much as important, I know what you're aiming at to a degree i agree, but jesus wept whats on display today is absolutely boring shite, let's not dress that up against bang average opposition too.

That Pep fella has a lot to answer for
Utter Garbage on 08:18 - Feb 4 with 1785 viewsRodingdale

Utter Garbage on 18:53 - Feb 3 by nordenblue

The product on the pitch is very much as important, I know what you're aiming at to a degree i agree, but jesus wept whats on display today is absolutely boring shite, let's not dress that up against bang average opposition too.

Good piece in the Times today from Jonathon Northcroft. City are statistically the slowest team to go forward in the premier league. So it does work, if you have DeBruyne, Silva, Foden, Grealish etc but it doesn’t if you have Rochdales squad. When we try it, it’s crap to watch and we are so easy to play against. There are other ways to play, give it a try Jim, but keep trying to play slow and intricate with Nationally League players doesn’t work.
Utter Garbage on 09:15 - Feb 4 with 1679 views442Dale

Utter Garbage on 18:53 - Feb 3 by nordenblue

I don’t disagree. The frustrating thing is both the times when we forget what makes us look a good team (mixing up styles of play) and that people think we play the pass-pass-pass, sideways and backwards stuff all the time.

The first is on the team and manager, the second just isn’t true.

Utter Garbage on 09:35 - Feb 4 with 1609 viewsnordenblue

Utter Garbage on 09:15 - Feb 4 by 442Dale

I don’t disagree. The frustrating thing is both the times when we forget what makes us look a good team (mixing up styles of play) and that people think we play the pass-pass-pass, sideways and backwards stuff all the time.

Absolutely, the most frustrating part is when we do revert to solely doing the sideways possession style with no mixing it up its dull as dishwater and looks like we havent a clue what we're trying to achieve, and its totally unnecessary and boring knocking a 5 yard sideways ball when there's far better options.
Utter Garbage on 09:36 - Feb 4 with 1609 viewsJames1980

Utter Garbage on 09:15 - Feb 4 by 442Dale

What happened to 'Total Options Football'?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Utter Garbage on 09:47 - Feb 4 with 1565 views442Dale

Utter Garbage on 09:36 - Feb 4 by James1980

What happened to 'Total Options Football'?

We still play it. See Henderson’s goal last week. There’s a really good post by SaxonDale in the other thread which offers insight into what has affected our ability to mix up play effectively.

Though that doesn’t excuse yesterday’s performance, there’s often a familiar pattern in responses about how McNulty’s preferred style of play is the big issue. Because it isn’t when we win!

There’s a much bigger picture here, as we’re still probably higher in the table then many would have expected before the season began and with that expectations have been raised. I’d agree to an extent that, having seen the competition within the division, we should be challenging for a playoff place... but what if results fail off a bit and we become stuck in mid table?

What will that mean for the football club? What will next season look like? What happens if we aren’t promoted?

Against everything that is going on, which is understandably put to one side when we look at games in isolation, what McNulty and the players have done so far this season is deserving of nothing but praise. The main hope is that the club itself can be in a better place so they can build on that next season. Whatever league we are in.
[Post edited 4 Feb 9:51]

Utter Garbage on 10:07 - Feb 4 with 1512 viewsDalenet

Utter Garbage on 08:18 - Feb 4 by Rodingdale

Good piece in the Times today from Jonathon Northcroft. City are statistically the slowest team to go forward in the premier league. So it does work, if you have DeBruyne, Silva, Foden, Grealish etc but it doesn’t if you have Rochdales squad. When we try it, it’s crap to watch and we are so easy to play against. There are other ways to play, give it a try Jim, but keep trying to play slow and intricate with Nationally League players doesn’t work.

It is interesting comment about City. When you watch them on TV (and I do) I often think they are boring to watch for about 60 minutes of the game. Even when they get the ball just outside the opposition box, they are focussed on passing sideways and back to ensure they have perfect options. Their fans get frsutrated too and "Come on Citee" is often sung when there has been no penetrating play. But the quality of the players, and the mesmerising remaining 30 minutes makes it worthwhile.

For us it looks like walking football. And don't get me started on the number of errors made yesterday. As somebody behind me said, the players spent the whole game with their hands up apologising for poor passing or ball control. You didn't see that from Dagenham and like so many others in this league, they have a lower budget. Its either coaching or application that is a problem - I don't know which. But it needs sorting Jim and I suspect you are just too nice and forgiving.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024