Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years 07:33 - Jun 1 with 6841 viewsDylanP

The frequent criticism of Begovic mystifies me. QPR are a mid-table second tier team and we are clearly lucky to have a goalie with his experience, maturity, shot stopping abilities and range. He isn't perfect, but I'm not sure what people expect -- Peter Shilton reincarnate. This season, which by all accounts was pretty poor, we kept 14 clean sheets (thats more than quarter of our games), while only scoring 47 goals in 46 games (4th worst in league), and only conceded 57 goals (7th best in league).

Obviously, goals conceded and clean sheets are not down to the goalie alone. But the goalie organizes and marshals the defense, and we have all seen that all season. Even when we looked terrible over all, Begs was there coming out quickly for catches and punches, constantly talking to the players around him, and importantly making key saves. Think about the Leeds game. Right after Chair scored our first goal, Leeds got up the field and had a hard a low shot from inside the box. Had that snuck past Begs the end result could've been very different. That was true all season.

Look, Begs isn't perfect. If he was, he wouldn't be playing for us. But his ability with his feet is the foundation for our style of play, his organizing has kept the defence strong all last season, his maturity has maintain the morale of the team when all else was failing, and his shot stopping has kept us in games. Chances of us snagging a better fit for our team are zero to none.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:51 - Jun 1 with 2315 viewsDevonWhite

Incredibly, we're in discussions over a new contract according to WLS.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:54 - Jun 1 with 2299 viewssimmo

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:20 - Jun 1 by Ned_Kennedys

He was not ‘crap’ all season: as with all but the very best keepers he had some very poor moments and some very good moments.
And let’s not pretend he wasn’t part of the defence who did keep us up: it certainly wasn’t the forward players was it.

Some people will lose it if he is given another year: with Ferdinand, Hoos and Ramsey no longer involved they won’t know who to blame.

He's been crap. The eye test, the data, the finances. On every metric he was a terrible signing. You're either contrary or clueless.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 19:44 - Jun 1 with 2173 viewsdaveB

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:20 - Jun 1 by Ned_Kennedys

He was not ‘crap’ all season: as with all but the very best keepers he had some very poor moments and some very good moments.
And let’s not pretend he wasn’t part of the defence who did keep us up: it certainly wasn’t the forward players was it.

Some people will lose it if he is given another year: with Ferdinand, Hoos and Ramsey no longer involved they won’t know who to blame.

never said he was crap all season said most of the season

Just my opinion but cost us so many goals and games with really poor basic mistakes. Millwall, Cardiff, Plymouth and Middlesbrough spring to mind, but there plenty of others

We've had worse but the club would be mad to give him another deal, should be looking for a younger keeper or give Walsh a go
[Post edited 1 Jun 19:45]
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 20:17 - Jun 1 with 2124 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:54 - Jun 1 by simmo

He's been crap. The eye test, the data, the finances. On every metric he was a terrible signing. You're either contrary or clueless.

Well to prevent you wetting the bed and getting angry let’s hope Cifuentes doesn’t offer our ‘crap’ keeper another year eh?
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 22:15 - Jun 1 with 1997 viewsStJude82

In fairness, his performances against Preston and Leeds at the end of the season were 1st class. He blew hot and cold through the season, though with an above average number of mistakes. Phil Parkes, he ain't. Time to walk into the sunset and end on a high.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 22:30 - Jun 1 with 1934 viewsstainrods_elbow

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 18:51 - Jun 1 by DevonWhite

Incredibly, we're in discussions over a new contract according to WLS.

So, presumably, you and others will now be rethinking your respect for Cifuentes and his coaching staff?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 23:24 - Jun 1 with 1898 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 12:43 - Jun 1 by QPROslo

I thought Begovic was Ok and is under rated by many on here. Walsh looked good in that Coventry game, which isn't enough to judge him on but he looked promising at least. If we cannot afford better perhaps going with Walsh with Begovic mentoring him and as back-up could work, if Begovic is a good Coach and we can't afford to bring in better.

That could work but I doubt Asmir would be tempted by such an offer as reports suggest there is interest from PL clubs to be their number 2 (as well as options in Saudi). If that's the case, I can't see him rejecting those offers to be a number 2 at QPR on less money.
[Post edited 1 Jun 23:24]
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 23:26 - Jun 1 with 1888 viewsFredManRave

I've cracked it. Dylan was talking in dog years, so yeah, the best in almost 15 years...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 00:14 - Jun 2 with 1816 viewsHoopsie

Begovic did contributed to our defence but not sure he kept us up, not individually surely but collectively yes he played a part

However, like some suggested, he was also error prone and those mistakes literally cost us some points and hearts-in-mouths moment and sleepless nights, the most talked about his flap at Plymouth.

However still, he redeemed himself with 2 crucial performances against Preston and Leeds when we went down the wire

Fact is that he blew hot and cold and fact is also we were in a relegation scrap most of the season and most of our players were blowing hot and cold - chair, dunno, cannon, colback, dykes, willock and even Andersen etc, and if our keeper is the best player he would be gone in January transfer windo

Suggestions that he is negotiating an extension reminds me that
1. The club think Walsh isn’t ready to step up and/or
2. The club think Walsh should be “gently” introduced to the first team set up and/or
3. The club think Begovic still may have something to offer and/or
4. The club cannot find a replacement that is “better” and “cheaper”

Surely if there is no suitable replacement and if they think Walsh isn’t ready yet they won’t compromise the situation by just letting Begovic go when his contract expires

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 00:52 - Jun 2 with 1802 viewsmart_Goblin

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 13:01 - Jun 1 by Rangersw12

Op is clearly on a wind up

This.

Dont post whilst drunk kids
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 01:48 - Jun 2 with 1757 viewsTrom

Not brilliant but not shite.

Good moments and bad ones.

So not a hater or a lover.

I certainly don’t think that is where the majority of our issues lie.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 06:50 - Jun 2 with 1649 viewsdavman

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 01:48 - Jun 2 by Trom

Come on, mate, this is the internet, so he is either the best EVER or the worst EVER. No middle ground, no fence to sit on.

Leaving Plymouth he was utterly the anti-christ so I'll stick with that for the www.

He had good moments, but is simply too old for one more season imo. If we do sign him, I think that he will cost us more than he saves us next season..

By the stats AND the eye test, he fails for me,

Let's hope that our new data driven world sees that...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 07:03 - Jun 2 with 1629 viewsGaryBannister86

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 22:30 - Jun 1 by stainrods_elbow

So, presumably, you and others will now be rethinking your respect for Cifuentes and his coaching staff?

No, I wouldn't.

I love Marti and I think giving Begovic another contract would be ridiculous.

However, in the thousands of decisions he has to make it isn't going to affect my overall opinion of him if I disagree (vehemently) with one.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 07:25 - Jun 2 with 1587 viewsthehat

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 01:48 - Jun 2 by Trom

That’s a good summary. I would like to see Walsh start next season with Asmir on the bench on much reduced wages mentoring him and also bringing Salamon on for the following season.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 07:58 - Jun 2 with 1538 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 07:25 - Jun 2 by thehat

That’s a good summary. I would like to see Walsh start next season with Asmir on the bench on much reduced wages mentoring him and also bringing Salamon on for the following season.

I wonder is Begovic is being offered some kind of player/coach role? And like u said a mentor for Walsh etc.

Would be quite good.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 09:55 - Jun 2 with 1442 viewsbosh67

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 07:58 - Jun 2 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I wonder is Begovic is being offered some kind of player/coach role? And like u said a mentor for Walsh etc.

Would be quite good.

Yes he made some bad errors in games last season but he also made some vital saves. The one against the excellent Millar in the Preston game comes to mind which proved pivotal.

The only problem is that he is the highest earner at the club by some distance and would the money be better spent getting Hayden in and possibly another. Do we spend that kind of money on someone who will be 37 when the new season starts or use the money wisely to get other players in and perhaps offer Chair a better contract?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 13:18 - Jun 2 with 1268 viewsLazyFan

I would be surprised if we gave Asmir another year.
I suspect he had nothing on the table, and this is just his Agent trying to put him in the paps and possibly get us to offer something ... anything!

We are only publicly looking at the Dev Squad, so the Ins and Outs are there, as the offy has been showing for the past month.

For the First team, all clubs are waiting until player contracts run out. We shall have targets and hope our offers are better than the other teams' or that teams miss out on a player for whatever reason. This should happen after the Euros, I would assume.

I quite like the idea of Walsh as the first-choice keeper. Play him in August. If he's not up to it, we can sign a loan from a Premier League club instead before the deadline closes. But then I am biased to always play the kids.

zzzzzzzzzz

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 14:13 - Jun 2 with 1215 viewsBrianMcCarthy

He's no longer good enough as a player and he's never been a coach so in my opinion a player-coach contract would be just as odd as a player contract.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 16:09 - Jun 2 with 1097 viewssimmo

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 20:17 - Jun 1 by Ned_Kennedys

Well to prevent you wetting the bed and getting angry let’s hope Cifuentes doesn’t offer our ‘crap’ keeper another year eh?

Cifuentes won't be the one handing out contracts, but if Begovic is here next year as anything other than a relatively cheap experienced backup, it will be devastating for what we're hoping to achieve. Apart from being generally shit, he's a million miles off being able to play a progressive style, and we shouldn't continue to make compromises to cover his vast limitations.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 16:31 - Jun 2 with 1067 viewsNorthernr

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 14:13 - Jun 2 by BrianMcCarthy

He's no longer good enough as a player and he's never been a coach so in my opinion a player-coach contract would be just as odd as a player contract.

Pay as you play deal?
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 16:32 - Jun 2 with 1054 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 16:31 - Jun 2 by Northernr

Pay as you play deal?

Dig down until we find a goalie?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 17:21 - Jun 2 with 966 viewsMytch_QPR

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 16:32 - Jun 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Dig down until we find a goalie?

Perry Digweed?

I'm sitting on the fence - not awful, but certainly not the best. In Marti we trust, I guess it depends on whether a better GK id available and within budget.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 17:35 - Jun 2 with 934 viewsDorse

Begovic's performances have been comparable to those og Gigi Buffon. As in 'an awful lot worse than...'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 17:46 - Jun 2 with 907 viewsStrawberryHillR

Sack him off and Walsh or A N Other starts badly, we look like idiots. Offer him a terrible deal that he'd never sign in a million years, if it all goes wrong next season Nourry can say that they offered him a deal but he had his heart set on Al-Ettifaq and we simply had to look elsewhere.
Begovic - Best QPR Goalie in Years on 09:20 - Jun 3 with 655 viewsTheChef

Good old Dylan, loves a wind up

Look I suppose unfortunately it's not impossible Begovic gets a new contract, but surely only as back up. I can't imagine Cifuentes would want him as his number one for another season??

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024