Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
D Day commemoration 23:08 - Jun 5 with 964 viewsonehunglow

First class and exceptionally moving
We truly do not realise how lucky we are to have had the men who secured our freedom
Thanks fellas

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

D Day commemoration on 09:10 - Jun 6 with 718 viewsBoundy

Well said , I wonder how many of those who died in their thousands up to this moment in time thought only of them selves prior to enlisting , I'm sure there would have been a few but the majority recognised that for the greater good their own freedom would have to be put on the back burner.
In September this year myself and two mates ( all ex serviceman) have booked to spend a week visiting Caen and the beaches to pay our respects to a generation who gave everything.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

D Day commemoration on 09:17 - Jun 6 with 710 viewsonehunglow

D Day commemoration on 09:10 - Jun 6 by Boundy

Well said , I wonder how many of those who died in their thousands up to this moment in time thought only of them selves prior to enlisting , I'm sure there would have been a few but the majority recognised that for the greater good their own freedom would have to be put on the back burner.
In September this year myself and two mates ( all ex serviceman) have booked to spend a week visiting Caen and the beaches to pay our respects to a generation who gave everything.

Yours is the only reply thus far,which is sad.
We are more concerned with bashing politicians who are nobodies
I’ve done a few war graves and been to Utah beach when our kids were young. They have to be fully aware of the reality of war and what teenagers did 80 years ago .
What strikes one at the memorials are the ages of the fallen.
We have let them down for many years and should be ashamed ..
I have a niece who lives in Sydney and always goes to ANZAC day remembrances. She never forgot one ex serviceman who said to he ,” Know what,you Pommie bastards were good mates and we “” always back you up.”

D Day commemoration on 09:37 - Jun 6 with 700 viewsBoundy

D Day commemoration on 09:17 - Jun 6 by onehunglow

Yours is the only reply thus far,which is sad.
We are more concerned with bashing politicians who are nobodies
I’ve done a few war graves and been to Utah beach when our kids were young. They have to be fully aware of the reality of war and what teenagers did 80 years ago .
What strikes one at the memorials are the ages of the fallen.
We have let them down for many years and should be ashamed ..
I have a niece who lives in Sydney and always goes to ANZAC day remembrances. She never forgot one ex serviceman who said to he ,” Know what,you Pommie bastards were good mates and we “” always back you up.”

Maybe everyone's watching the commemoration ?
An interesting stat which I just heard ( a stats is a stat I know) is that should this country be under threat of invasion only 21% of "fighting" age would be willing to join up, should, as what happened in 1940 that France be invaded that figure drops to 14% , The British Army is now losing more each year than they enlist , surprising when you consider conditions have improved and discipline relaxed , certainly since I served.

D Day commemoration on 09:43 - Jun 6 with 687 viewsonehunglow

D Day commemoration on 09:37 - Jun 6 by Boundy

An interesting stat which I just heard ( a stats is a stat I know) is that should this country be under threat of invasion only 21% of "fighting" age would be willing to join up, should, as what happened in 1940 that France be invaded that figure drops to 14% , The British Army is now losing more each year than they enlist , surprising when you consider conditions have improved and discipline relaxed , certainly since I served.

It really does make you think what would happen if our country were to be invaded now.
Many see soldiers as “ bullies”
We have many supporting countries who hate us

D Day commemoration on 09:44 - Jun 6 with 684 viewstheloneranger

"For Our Tomorrows"

"They Gave Their Today's"

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

D Day commemoration on 16:33 - Jun 6 with 624 viewsSullutaCreturned

D Day commemoration on 09:37 - Jun 6 by Boundy

Or maybe people were in work, I was.

I have said it before, my grandfather is my hero. A Royal Marine Commando who was attached to the LRDG in North Africa, was at Tobruk (not the battle, Operation Agreement)., El Alamein and Normandy.

If the call came I don't suppose I'd be much use but I'd answer it and I'm 57.

When it was suggested they should use coscription there was a major kickback n social media from younger people. We have brought up a generation of A holes who think mostly of themselves and they're lost without a mobile phone, wifi or an xbox.

Just wait til Labour have been in a few years. Right now we even have young people who won't work in places like the NHS, ambulance service or join the police because it's too hard. If there was a major war we would be screwed. it'd be up to dad's army.

Edit, saying all that, I have 2 sons, one is 15 and a softy, the other is 18 and wants to join the Royal Marines when he gets back from a 3 month trip to work in Camp America, so, it's not all yoing people but far too many all the same.
[Post edited 6 Jun 16:34]
D Day commemoration on 17:08 - Jun 6 with 603 viewsBoundy

D Day commemoration on 16:33 - Jun 6 by SullutaCreturned

Or maybe people were in work, I was.

I have said it before, my grandfather is my hero. A Royal Marine Commando who was attached to the LRDG in North Africa, was at Tobruk (not the battle, Operation Agreement)., El Alamein and Normandy.

If the call came I don't suppose I'd be much use but I'd answer it and I'm 57.

When it was suggested they should use coscription there was a major kickback n social media from younger people. We have brought up a generation of A holes who think mostly of themselves and they're lost without a mobile phone, wifi or an xbox.

Just wait til Labour have been in a few years. Right now we even have young people who won't work in places like the NHS, ambulance service or join the police because it's too hard. If there was a major war we would be screwed. it'd be up to dad's army.

Edit, saying all that, I have 2 sons, one is 15 and a softy, the other is 18 and wants to join the Royal Marines when he gets back from a 3 month trip to work in Camp America, so, it's not all yoing people but far too many all the same.
[Post edited 6 Jun 16:34]

Hence the question mark , and no malice was meant by it .
I recall you posting about your grandad and understand why you're rightly proud of him. I have nothing but total respect for him and the hundreds of thousands like him, not forgetting the bravery of the women who, for example even knew the risks they faced when parachuted into occupied France .
I joined the Army straight from school at 15 ( you could back in the day ) something I always wanted to do, my only regret was I never made a career from it but married life in the forces wasn't something my wife was keen on although she stuck it with me for a year.
I'd like to think that should the call come there's enough like minded individuals would join but from personal experiences I fear not .

D Day commemoration on 17:09 - Jun 6 with 601 viewsGwyn737

Had a big D Day event in school today.

Had some veterans in to talk to the kids about their experience, all work done about D day then invited a load in from the local old folks homes for a 1940s style picnic lunch with the children 👍
Login to get fewer ads

D Day commemoration on 17:19 - Jun 6 with 597 viewsonehunglow

D Day commemoration on 17:08 - Jun 6 by Boundy

I recall you posting about your grandad and understand why you're rightly proud of him. I have nothing but total respect for him and the hundreds of thousands like him, not forgetting the bravery of the women who, for example even knew the risks they faced when parachuted into occupied France .
I joined the Army straight from school at 15 ( you could back in the day ) something I always wanted to do, my only regret was I never made a career from it but married life in the forces wasn't something my wife was keen on although she stuck it with me for a year.
I'd like to think that should the call come there's enough like minded individuals would join but from personal experiences I fear not .

Both you and Cat have done your folks proud
Group hug from no riff faff West Wirral

D Day commemoration on 17:43 - Jun 6 with 590 viewsSullutaCreturned

D Day commemoration on 17:08 - Jun 6 by Boundy

I didn't think there was any malice, you're not like that.

I left school at 17 and applied to join th Royal Artillery. The week before I went to St George's Barracks for the final tests and interview ( its been sold off now ) I broke my nose playing football and failed the medical.
The interviewing Major (whose name I forget) said he had some concerns but to go away, get the operation for the deviated septum and if I wanted to, try again in 6 months. I had the op 3 months later and developed Asthma, severly so and hardly even played any sort for the next 5 years. So I never went back, life took over and I moved on.

With hindsight maybe the Major was right to have concerns, maybe I wasn't joining for the right reasons but who knows.
However I developed an interest in history and WW2 is a point of interest if only because of my grandpa.
I watch these veterans on tv and see them cry when talking about it, 80 years on the emotions are still very raw. Very soon they will all be gone which is sad, their stories should never be forgotten.
D Day commemoration on 17:48 - Jun 6 with 574 viewscontroversial_jack

We won't see any large scale amphibious assaults again as drones would decimate any troop movements and their supply lines
D Day commemoration on 17:48 - Jun 6 with 586 viewsSullutaCreturned

D Day commemoration on 17:09 - Jun 6 by Gwyn737

Had a big D Day event in school today.

Had some veterans in to talk to the kids about their experience, all work done about D day then invited a load in from the local old folks homes for a 1940s style picnic lunch with the children 👍

Brilliant, Gwyn.

I've been listening to a podcast called "We have ways of making you talk" which is all about the Normandy landings. There's a lot I didn't know.

I find it impossible not to respect those brave men and women and what they did, what they went through and not just during Operation Overlord.

I'm lucky if I'm half the man my grandpa was.
D Day commemoration on 18:49 - Jun 6 with 571 viewsBoundy

D Day commemoration on 17:19 - Jun 6 by onehunglow

Both you and Cat have done your folks proud
Group hug from no riff faff West Wirral

Cheers my friend .As many who've gone before and since I am proud to have served , just someone doing a job they loved .

D Day commemoration on 22:01 - Jun 6 with 510 viewsKeithHaynes

This guy is always worth a watch.

Especially on D Day.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

D Day commemoration on 09:05 - Jun 7 with 436 viewsBoundy

I see Sunak has had to make an apology for returning to the UK early yesterday to attend to give an election interview, firstly umbrellas and now this , just who is advising him ?and even without poor advice surely he should have realised the importance of yesterday. Poor form .

D Day commemoration on 09:09 - Jun 7 with 433 viewsonehunglow

D Day commemoration on 09:05 - Jun 7 by Boundy

I see Sunak has had to make an apology for returning to the UK early yesterday to attend to give an election interview, firstly umbrellas and now this , just who is advising him ?and even without poor advice surely he should have realised the importance of yesterday. Poor form .

Morning boundy
Got up later today and after taking Lab for ablutions came back and switched on TV to see this .
His judgement is appalling and a massive own goal.
He needs to be put out of his misery.
It’s pathetic to see ..

D Day commemoration on 09:14 - Jun 7 with 420 viewsBoundy

D Day commemoration on 09:09 - Jun 7 by onehunglow

Morning boundy
Got up later today and after taking Lab for ablutions came back and switched on TV to see this .
His judgement is appalling and a massive own goal.
He needs to be put out of his misery.
It’s pathetic to see ..

Good morning Sir, yes a gigantic own goal indeed, is this the defining mistake of his campaign or can he top it off with an even greater gaff, who knows but there's plenty of time left.

D Day commemoration on 09:15 - Jun 7 with 416 viewsraynor94

D Day commemoration on 09:05 - Jun 7 by Boundy

He's the gift that keeps on giving, and him still denying he's lied over the £2000 he's a real asset to Labour

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

D Day commemoration on 09:15 - Jun 7 with 416 viewsBoundy

D Day commemoration on 22:01 - Jun 6 by KeithHaynes

This guy is always worth a watch.

Especially on D Day.

It won't open for me I'm afraid.

D Day commemoration on 09:21 - Jun 7 with 408 viewsonehunglow

D Day commemoration on 09:14 - Jun 7 by Boundy

Good morning Sir, yes a gigantic own goal indeed, is this the defining mistake of his campaign or can he top it off with an even greater gaff, who knows but there's plenty of time left.

The only good thing is Corbyn isn’t leading Labour .
It seems impossible to not beat Sunak.
I have to add ,just for Builth ,that in recent years we. Have seen the worst 2 Home Secretaries in Priti Patel and teresa corset May ,a woman who single handedly slaughtered the Justice System and Police Service virtually overnight . Her legacy is what we see on the streets now . Utter devastation. An appallingly callous and calculating xxxx whose leaving the Commons is long overdue .

Me, a Tory ?

D Day commemoration on 09:25 - Jun 7 with 393 viewsmangohilljack

D Day commemoration on 09:14 - Jun 7 by Boundy

No own goal, it's purposefully done.
You know Sunak is handing over the baton to Starmer in a few weeks.
D Day commemoration on 10:15 - Jun 7 with 369 viewsBoundy

D Day commemoration on 09:25 - Jun 7 by mangohilljack

No own goal, it's purposefully done.
You know Sunak is handing over the baton to Starmer in a few weeks.

My apologies for the derailling of the thread

D Day commemoration on 15:49 - Jun 7 with 307 viewsSullutaCreturned

D Day commemoration on 09:15 - Jun 7 by raynor94

He's the gift that keeps on giving, and him still denying he's lied over the £2000 he's a real asset to Labour

Turns out though, Labour have ade claims about tory sending that aren't true. Well, according to breakfast news this morning anyway.

They both lie, the best weapon Labour has is the 14 years of tory rule that have hurled us into this mess we all suffer from. The worst government in a very long time.
D Day commemoration on 17:37 - Jun 7 with 261 viewsonehunglow

D Day commemoration on 15:49 - Jun 7 by SullutaCreturned

Turns out though, Labour have ade claims about tory sending that aren't true. Well, according to breakfast news this morning anyway.

They both lie, the best weapon Labour has is the 14 years of tory rule that have hurled us into this mess we all suffer from. The worst government in a very long time.

Sunak is dying on the vine

D Day commemoration on 20:35 - Jun 7 with 224 viewsSullutaCreturned

Amog other things I learned this year, there were 2000 African Americans who took part in D day landings.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024