Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tactics 02:00 - Feb 29 with 2750 viewsNotEyreClue

I think we can all agree that Coleman's done wonders for our defence; he's made us a hard team to beat and we definitely have a very solid defensive line when Amankwaah and Long partner each other.

Personally I feel we were too negative tonight... the 4-5-1 ish system is perfect away from home (especially for the tougher away games as we've seen recently). We're hard to break down and we create a few chances here and there in order to nick a goal.

Tonight was a very winnable game and to be fair we got done by a sucker punch just before half-time. It seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and it undoubtedly changed the team-talk JC had in mind. Whilst we largely dominated the first half, I don't think we looked particularly threatening at any moment and playing Symes as a lone striker was a mistake for me. I think Akpro plays that role fairly well due to the fact that he has excellent aerial ability and a good amount of pace about him. With regards to tonight, Symes didn't have either of that....am I the only one who thought 4-5-1 with Grimes playing off Symes was a mistake tonight?

In a game where Coleman stated the importance of 3 points I really thought we'd have gone for it a bit more. If you agree, what sort of formation/team do you think we should have played? Should we perhaps be more attacking at the home in the future etc?

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

Tactics on 07:51 - Feb 29 with 2666 viewsaleanddale

I agree with some of that.

at home we should be looking to be on the front foot for 90 mins.

4 5 1 ok away i can see why we set up playing away like that.

I was so disapointed last night. we should have gone IMO 442 and played with as much width as possible a la Bury.

Maybe we just dont have the personnel this year.

Its becoming an increasingly difficult task to stay in this division.

We need to take the game to Wednesday on Sat. If were going down lets at least go down fighting and not with a whimper like last night.

Tactics on 09:07 - Feb 29 with 2586 viewsChockers1

Tactics on 07:51 - Feb 29 by aleanddale

I agree with some of that.

at home we should be looking to be on the front foot for 90 mins.

4 5 1 ok away i can see why we set up playing away like that.

I was so disapointed last night. we should have gone IMO 442 and played with as much width as possible a la Bury.

Maybe we just dont have the personnel this year.

Its becoming an increasingly difficult task to stay in this division.

We need to take the game to Wednesday on Sat. If were going down lets at least go down fighting and not with a whimper like last night.

Living so far away it was the first game i have been to under the new colman set up and was impressed with how strong we looked at the back. I still shudder when i think of holness and trotman at the back and how easily we were being broken down!

but agreee 100% creativly we looked very poor going forward, we didnt look like scoring really at any point during the game! a home game at that!

one of the things i found very frustrating was the 4-5-1 but the amount of crosses into the box when there was no one there or they were a mile off!!

when we put pressure on county in the last 5 minutes we looked a different team running at them with pace putting them on the back foot, thats how we can play and should at home...

county we no better team then us i thought...we have just got to find away to score otherwise we will be bacnk in league two
Tactics on 10:15 - Feb 29 with 2513 viewsD_Alien

Agree with a lot of that NEC

Unsurprisingly, JC is still finding his own feet at League One level, as well as trying to drag the entire squad up by their bootstraps

It was always a massive task, and I haven't given up hope that he'll pull off a near miracle and keep us up. He does need to find a formula for scoring goals though - in a way, defensive solidity is the easier part and the part that should naturally come first

What disappointed me last night was the lack of "shoot-on-sight" that we saw against bury; it gets the crowd going too and the positive feedback loop gets off the ground. As it was, the small crowd were subdued through lack of forward momentum and the game just passed us by until the red card

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Tactics on 10:28 - Feb 29 with 2490 viewsStAnnesDale

Have to agree completely.

No point having Grimes on the pitch unless you play him alongside a target man with width to get crosses over Playing widish in a front 3 he is usually anonymous. However we have no other player capable of scoring regularly.

Symes does not look suited to the lone target man role either. Has not held it up well and looks a little sluggish A-A causes more problems to defenders but alas often has little end product.

With Long in the side we look so much better at the back. Do they still need the protection of 3 central midfielders (2 very defensive) at home. Think we would be better attacking more in a 4-4-2 at home.

Only argument against this is that the only game we have looked good was Bury and they were probabkly over-confident against us, and have been on a very poor run. If the season had started in December, they would be certs to get relegated, as it is they will have enough to survive.
Tactics on 10:31 - Feb 29 with 2492 views442Dale

Going forward, it reminded me a lot of the Scunthorpe game. We got to 25 yards out with some ok football but didn't force the issue with a cross or a shot, it was back to the days of turning around and passing backward again.

Nothing wrong with keeping possession but Coleman was right on his arrival when he identified the need to be making more of an impact in and around the box. Last night, we didn't do that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Tactics on 17:45 - Feb 29 with 2331 viewsNotEyreClue

I think it's hard to point to the Bury game in terms of the system working...it was a derby after all and everybody overperformed that day. Bury also played their part, barring Yeovil, they were the worst team I've seen at Spotland and I think we could have played 1-1-9 against them and still won comfortably.

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

Tactics on 18:22 - Feb 29 with 2306 viewsolympicdale

Colemans first priority with this team was to tighten up at the back, to stop us conceeding so many cheap goals and give us a chance in games, he has managed this very well, so quickly, this is to be admired, to how bad we were comparatively.

As has been said, Coleman is still finding his feet at L1 level, and has possibly been a bit cautious in games, while this was clearly needed, there needs to be times when you sacrifice that for being more attacking, sacrificing one of the middle 3 for either a bit more width, or pushing the middle of the trio behind a front 2.

id like to see a midfield similar to this at the home games, to give us a chance of attacking the opposition more than we are doing.

...............jonah ...................Kennedy

............................Tutte..............

....Adams..................................JLAA/Thompson

........................Symes/Grimes....................

Life is a game of fate.

Tactics on 10:28 - Mar 1 with 2204 viewsaleanddale

Tactics on 18:22 - Feb 29 by olympicdale

Colemans first priority with this team was to tighten up at the back, to stop us conceeding so many cheap goals and give us a chance in games, he has managed this very well, so quickly, this is to be admired, to how bad we were comparatively.

As has been said, Coleman is still finding his feet at L1 level, and has possibly been a bit cautious in games, while this was clearly needed, there needs to be times when you sacrifice that for being more attacking, sacrificing one of the middle 3 for either a bit more width, or pushing the middle of the trio behind a front 2.

id like to see a midfield similar to this at the home games, to give us a chance of attacking the opposition more than we are doing.

Thats what you saw on tues!!

It would only work if indeed we managed to sneek them all in ( all 13 ) instead of the permitted 11.

Home stick with what is tried and tested. The following 442 with the best of what we have available would IMO give us the best chance.

Adams Jones Kennedy JLAA - Adams and JLAA WIDE but coming in to defend.

Grimes Symes

442 - get it wide - get your crosses in and most importantly SHOOT!!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Tactics on 10:48 - Mar 1 with 2187 viewssweetcorn

Tactics on 10:28 - Mar 1 by aleanddale

It would only work if indeed we managed to sneek them all in ( all 13 ) instead of the permitted 11.

Home stick with what is tried and tested. The following 442 with the best of what we have available would IMO give us the best chance.

Grimes Symes

That isn't what we saw though, he was talking personel not shape, i don't see why it has to be 4-4-2, Hilly didn't play 4-4-2, so if it's good enough for him, i'd be happy to see a return of the team that played bury, with BBM (although he's been decent, its him who has to go) replaced with tutte and utilise tutte further forward, grimes and JLAA interchanging from wing to middle and i think we'll have a winning formula.

4-4-2 isn't a must for me!

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Tactics on 10:50 - Mar 1 with 2186 viewssweetcorn

Also Symes would be dropped for me, didn't play well enough to earn his place next game if JLAA is fit, Akpro has more of an aerial threat, with his 5 second hang in mid-air and alot more lively and unpredictable. a must start, if fit.

Tactics on 10:51 - Mar 1 with 2185 viewskirbys

Tactics on 18:22 - Feb 29 by olympicdale

Absolutely right about the defence being a priority. We were leaking goals for fun and the two Kevin central pairing have made a massive difference and we have a decent replacement if needed. The way things were had we had a high scoring forward line we would still have lost games.
Up front JohnColeman can only use what he has got and we do look distinctly lightweight in the box. We simply do not have that strong holding player who will take and give a bit to make a chance.
I trust JC to find a solution to this, when he does the one point games will turn to three.
It's a question of how soon.
Tactics on 11:51 - Mar 1 with 2158 viewsaleanddale

Tactics on 10:48 - Mar 1 by sweetcorn

That isn't what we saw though, he was talking personel not shape, i don't see why it has to be 4-4-2, Hilly didn't play 4-4-2, so if it's good enough for him, i'd be happy to see a return of the team that played bury, with BBM (although he's been decent, its him who has to go) replaced with tutte and utilise tutte further forward, grimes and JLAA interchanging from wing to middle and i think we'll have a winning formula.

4-4-2 isn't a must for me!

I meant shape not personell. ( as the thread is tactics )

Sorry should have been clearer.

4 5 1 at home is a disaster.

442 - all the way.

We will never get the best out of Symes when he is so isolated as he was v Notts.

Thats the disapointment - they ( like bURY ) were very ordinary.

Width Pace Attacking mentality and 2 up front will win us enough home games. IF we decide to go for it!!
Tactics on 11:53 - Mar 1 with 2155 viewssweetcorn

Tactics on 11:51 - Mar 1 by aleanddale

I meant shape not personell. ( as the thread is tactics )

Sorry should have been clearer.

4 5 1 at home is a disaster.

442 - all the way.

We will never get the best out of Symes when he is so isolated as he was v Notts.

Thats the disapointment - they ( like bURY ) were very ordinary.

Width Pace Attacking mentality and 2 up front will win us enough home games. IF we decide to go for it!!

I know you were yeah, i meant the guy who said about playing the 4-5-1 formation still with different players, who you originally replied too.

Tactics on 12:13 - Mar 1 with 2141 viewsD_Alien

My take on the change in home tactics is that JC has decided the players we have simply aren't adaptable enough to play a different formation home v away, so has fallen back on the more solid 451

Or, as a variation on the above take, that he needed to ingrain the 451 mentality to try and achieve results against some of the stronger teams we'll be up against, and may have included Notts Co among them

He's probably watched less League One action than we have over the past couple of years, so hasn't got a full picture on the relative strengths/weaknesses of mid-to-upper table sides.

For all those who said Eyre needed more time (to fail) back in October/November, THAT'S why we needed to change the manager then

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Tactics on 14:10 - Mar 1 with 2073 viewsolympicdale

Tactics on 10:28 - Mar 1 by aleanddale

Grimes Symes

we have never seen Tutte playing that advanced role, he has been played far too deep for him to have any impact on the game, restricting his ability to run at the opposition..The front striker is a conundrum, while we only have one winger, we cant play a 442, maybe when JLAA is fit, but until then we need to concentrate on the lone striker, but this needs players advancing from midfield to support him, playing further up the pitch than we are atm.

Life is a game of fate.

Tactics on 16:24 - Mar 1 with 2035 viewsaleanddale

Tactics on 14:10 - Mar 1 by olympicdale

we have never seen Tutte playing that advanced role, he has been played far too deep for him to have any impact on the game, restricting his ability to run at the opposition..The front striker is a conundrum, while we only have one winger, we cant play a 442, maybe when JLAA is fit, but until then we need to concentrate on the lone striker, but this needs players advancing from midfield to support him, playing further up the pitch than we are atm.

I dont agree with you at all OD.

A lone striker at home is soul destroying. Our 2 best performances Home and Away were both Bury when we got the ball out wide quickly and attacked down the wings.

Tutte in a more advanced roll linking up with Symes just doesnt work for me.

who would be JC eh with all us experts on here.

I just want to see 2 up front and go for it on Saturday. FFS everyone has us down for a hiding so whats to lose. A bURY performance we could grab 3 points.

Another roll over and have your belly rubbed during a HOME game i just couldnt stomach.

I felt sorry for Symes on Tuesday. He didnt stand any chance with zero service or join up play from our 3 central lads.
Tactics on 17:51 - Mar 1 with 2015 viewsolympicdale

Tactics on 16:24 - Mar 1 by aleanddale

A lone striker at home is soul destroying. Our 2 best performances Home and Away were both Bury when we got the ball out wide quickly and attacked down the wings.

I just want to see 2 up front and go for it on Saturday. FFS everyone has us down for a hiding so whats to lose. A bURY performance we could grab 3 points.

Another roll over and have your belly rubbed during a HOME game i just couldnt stomach.

I felt sorry for Symes on Tuesday. He didnt stand any chance with zero service or join up play from our 3 central lads.

I don't agree with it being Soul-destroying, plenty of the top teams in the world and such play with a lone striker, but they have 2 wingers supplying them with crosses, that is our problem, we could have Messi up front, but he wouldn't get any service, our deliveries into the box needs to improve firstly.

Life is a game of fate.

Tactics on 18:40 - Mar 1 with 1987 views442Dale

Tactics on 16:24 - Mar 1 by aleanddale

The only difference v Bury at home was JLAA central instead of Symes. It wasn't a 4-4-2.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024