Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goldhawk 16:49 - Nov 4 with 7326 viewsGeorge2Santos

Just to compound misery further the barmaid has told me the goldhawk shuts down as of tomorrow.

Another one bites the dust.
Goldhawk on 20:20 - Nov 5 with 1375 viewsloftus_upper

Think it's incredible, Askew road had 5 pubs, it now has 4 supermarkets, fancy Cafe's and 2 pubs.
Goldhawk on 20:40 - Nov 5 with 1352 viewsBlackCrowe

I'm pretty sure i'm not romanticising but for me pubs used to be the kind of places where all could meet without prejudice, rich/poor, scoundrel/pillar of community, young/old etc etc.

Combination of disproportiate increase alcohol tax, rents and smoking bans means that the only way a pub can stay afloat is with food and high priced food at that. Or shit themed entertainment.

I could elaborate further about the dissolution of the community through rising property prices meaning that only a certain demographic now inhabits a village/town/area that once had cross-section, but can't be bothered and don't know a solution to it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Goldhawk on 22:16 - Nov 5 with 1308 viewsted_hendrix

Goldhawk on 13:05 - Nov 5 by BlackCrowe

Where will the matchday crowd go instead. C&S is getting more rammed by the week - they even removed half the tables yesterday to cram more people in which is a backward step IMO (took bloody ages to get from one of the pub to the other) and not the reason I go there.

I gave the C&S a swerve yesterday, for a moment I thought I'd change my match day habit and maybe just maybe our footballing fortunes might change and we would win and move swiftly up the table to the dizzy heights of the Champions League.

What a fck up that was.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Goldhawk on 22:22 - Nov 5 with 1302 viewsklr

Goldhawk on 20:08 - Nov 5 by Toast_R

Now I don't mind the odd pint of ale but I can't drink too much of that as gives you a right rotten arse the next morning.

Weatherspoon in Shepherds bush charging £3.30 pint of Carling, that's a disgrace!

Dont disagree, but a few moody pints of £3.30 Carling would just as likely to give you a bad case of the Eartha Kitts the next morning as well ?
Goldhawk on 22:23 - Nov 5 with 1302 viewskysersosaqpr

Goldhawk on 12:38 - Nov 5 by Northernr

Place was already ruined by the refurb all those years ago, lot of happy memories in the old style Goldhawk with my family. Should be a great pub, not more flats or a bloody starbucks.

Real old Irish pub used to drink their with McGowans and McFaddens. Also one of the first where old West Indian guys could drink and be welcome. Real shame it's closing.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Goldhawk on 23:02 - Nov 5 with 1271 viewsMarc

Goldhawk on 22:23 - Nov 5 by kysersosaqpr

Real old Irish pub used to drink their with McGowans and McFaddens. Also one of the first where old West Indian guys could drink and be welcome. Real shame it's closing.

Red Lion already flattened in Greenford, The Eastcote closed in South Ruislip.

So many going.
Goldhawk on 23:31 - Nov 5 with 1245 viewsTGRRRSSS

Happening everywhere not just in London.
Goldhawk on 05:37 - Nov 6 with 1204 viewsaussiehoop

Having only drunk in the Green and Sprinbok when I've been over I can't really relate to this thread.

The comments on drink prices are a funny one though. When I was over in June I couldn't believe how cheap it was to get sloshed. Also not much of a hangover the next day without all the preservatives in the beer.

Don't come to Perth if you like a good drink as you'll need to remortgage your house. Luckily I'm 24, don't own a house, have no girlfriend or kids so I can afford to p*ss my salary up a wall each fortnight. Fun times :)
Login to get fewer ads

Goldhawk on 06:58 - Nov 6 with 1195 viewsPommyhoop

Goldhawk on 05:37 - Nov 6 by aussiehoop

Having only drunk in the Green and Sprinbok when I've been over I can't really relate to this thread.

The comments on drink prices are a funny one though. When I was over in June I couldn't believe how cheap it was to get sloshed. Also not much of a hangover the next day without all the preservatives in the beer.

Don't come to Perth if you like a good drink as you'll need to remortgage your house. Luckily I'm 24, don't own a house, have no girlfriend or kids so I can afford to p*ss my salary up a wall each fortnight. Fun times :)

He's right you know.You have to be minted or like aussiehoop young free and single (and earning) to go and have a real session in Brisbane.
Its not just cos of the weather that the Barby is so popular over here.
One thing I do miss is a real London battle cruiser but they were dying out before I left 6 years ago.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Goldhawk on 07:27 - Nov 6 with 1182 views18StoneOfHoop

All over Britain the pub lights are going out one by one.

It's a bleeding crying shame

There's is nothing that can replace them as : *a refuge *a place to destress and relax *a break from the ball & chain *to let your hair down *to let off steam *to talk absolute bollux & act the goat *to flirt with & dream of shagging the barmaid *to watch football with a decent non-freezing picture if you ain't got/can't afford Sky *and maybe most important of all:- to be part of the local COMMUNITY.
Human Beings are naturally sociable animals.It's no good staying indoors on the 'puter nursing 90p tins of pish,all day & night,with only cyber interactions with people.That would eventually get anyone down in the dumps.To be healthy everyone has the need to get out of their box,drum,own 4 walls & be with others.As John Donne wrote 'No man is an island..'
Ah feck it - to be a bit sentimental,exaggerated & melodramatic for effect - I'm only 47 but the Good Lord might as well take me now..I've seen the best of it.

Councils have no regulations & do absolutely FA to support the brewers or local community of regulars & residents in tryingto protect the buildings for pub use.On you go bleeding ubiquitous Tesco's and Starbucks,making every High Street depressingly identikit & drearily homogenous:

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024