Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fergies Former Players as Managers 17:21 - Nov 23 with 1631 viewsBuck_Chilly

Been a lot on SSN today what with the statue unveiling and the fact we'll have had 26 managers in the time he's been at Manure.

I've been thinking have any of his former United players turned managers actually been as good as their hype or do they only get high profile jobs based on the fact they "might" have learnt something under him. I'm talking about Hughes, Bruce, Keane, Ince and to a lesser extent Robson. Without checking the web I think only Bruce is currently a manager. I can't think of any other league club in the last 26 years to produce so many managers. And with a lot of talk recently that a good option would have been to get Solskjaer and/or Neville will they be any different if they entered managing in England?
Fergies Former Players as Managers on 17:42 - Nov 23 with 1585 viewsJigsore

Bruce is doing pretty well at 'ull

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 17:57 - Nov 23 with 1569 viewsbob566

bruce has been good in fairness but it all looked like it got on top of his health at one stage.

olly gunna is doing well at the moment and the rat turned into a top pundit in fairness.
Fergies Former Players as Managers on 18:37 - Nov 23 with 1515 viewsGloucs_R

Pallister
Hughes
Ince
Keane
Robson
Gunnar
Bruce
Plus the following assistant
Mcclaren
Queriroz or whatever his name was

Not a great success rate

Poll: Are we staying up?

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 18:39 - Nov 23 with 1510 viewsBasingstokeR

Assistants who've stepped out from under his wing have hardly done great either...Kidd, McLaren.
Fergies Former Players as Managers on 18:53 - Nov 23 with 1493 viewsderbyhoop

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 18:39 - Nov 23 by BasingstokeR

Assistants who've stepped out from under his wing have hardly done great either...Kidd, McLaren.

McClaren is back at Twente. First time there, he won them the Eredivisie and they were top again recently but are now second to PSV.

People's opinions of Schteve are influenced by his spell as England manager, but he also did OK at Derby.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 20:59 - Nov 23 with 1422 viewskarl

This is spoken about with his ex Aberdeen players too.
Strachan probably the most successful (ex MUtd too of course) Alex McLeish moderately so but also many who have managed to varyingsuccess at small(er) clubs. Again it is a long list and moreso than explayers of comparable sizedclubs to Aberdeen
Mark McGhee
Neil Cooper
Eric Black
Willie Miller
Etc
Fergies Former Players as Managers on 21:07 - Nov 23 with 1413 viewsTacticalR

Perhaps the sad thing is not that these particular players had no talent as managers, but that so many directors of other clubs indulged so many managerial nonentities in the hope of basking in a bit of reflected glory from Old Trafford.

Air hostess clique

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 21:36 - Nov 23 with 1385 viewsCamberleyR

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 18:53 - Nov 23 by derbyhoop

McClaren is back at Twente. First time there, he won them the Eredivisie and they were top again recently but are now second to PSV.

People's opinions of Schteve are influenced by his spell as England manager, but he also did OK at Derby.

He also did okay at Middlesbrough. Won them the only major trophy in their history, got them to a European final and were also a regular mid table Prem team.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 22:24 - Nov 23 with 1354 viewswestolian

So, to summarize, McLaren is the best followed by Strachan and then ogs but we won't give him too much credit as its only a little backwater somewhere over there !

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 22:39 - Nov 23 with 1329 viewsTGRRRSSS

Mclarenm didn't play under him. Robson arguably had some success at Middlesborough for a period of time.
Then Bruce, beyond that McGhee had a couple of good years at Reading in the early 90s.
However generally speaking if you do your Moneyball you'd have to say emplying a ex united player cos he worked for Fergie is basically doomed to failure.
Keane also did v well at Sunderland for a brief period but I think his own demons which could be overlooked as a player will hold him back as a manager.
Fergies Former Players as Managers on 00:21 - Nov 24 with 1298 viewskarl

Fergies Former Players as Managers on 22:39 - Nov 23 by TGRRRSSS

Mclarenm didn't play under him. Robson arguably had some success at Middlesborough for a period of time.
Then Bruce, beyond that McGhee had a couple of good years at Reading in the early 90s.
However generally speaking if you do your Moneyball you'd have to say emplying a ex united player cos he worked for Fergie is basically doomed to failure.
Keane also did v well at Sunderland for a brief period but I think his own demons which could be overlooked as a player will hold him back as a manager.

I reckon Strachans achievements are ahead of Bruce, last sixteen of CL and FA cup final with relatively small clubs is a good cv.
I know he's had failures too but compared to the rest
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024