Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hornets 17:51 - Jan 24 with 3695 views442Dale

Got a game tomorrow? Apparently asked for volunteers to go down and clear the pitch and the floodlights are on as we speak.

Yep, v Saints
http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article.php?id=10308
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hornets on 21:19 - Jan 24 with 1312 viewspcolly

Hornets on 21:05 - Jan 24 by Albert_Whitehurst

I enjoy my rugby league and am pleased the town can boast Hornets. It's good to hear something else in the national news other than paedos and unemployment when Rochdale gets a mention.

Hornets live hand to mouth as the football club does. Hornets have suffered under previous regimes as the football club has. Their situation is markedly worse than our own at present but we're not quite affluent at RAFC.

I bet if we were on the breadline the FA wouldn't bail us out like the RFL bails Hornets. How would Dale and the Council bridge the gap if Hornets left or went bust? (Open question...I've no idea)

We both enjoy our local teams in a town where apathy is the overriding feeling towards local sport. Whilst rugby and football on the same pitch is far from ideal the two clubs and their fans should not be at odds.

There but for the grace of Allah we could go the same way as Hornets.

Correct they shouldn't.

But attempting to play a friendly on a snow covered/frozen pitch in the middle of the football season doesn't really help relations.

But if, as hornets say, no lasting damage will be done, could they provide photos of the pitch before and in the subsequent days after the game? That would surely put to bed the moans of the football fans that they can cause unacceptable damage at this time of year when conditions are unfavourable?

My opinion is that friendlies shouldn't be played unless the conditions mean minimal damage would be done. In these situations the groundsman should have the final say. He knows the demands on the pitch for the rest of the year and how the pitch can cope.
Hornets on 21:41 - Jan 24 with 1294 views442Dale

Hornets on 21:19 - Jan 24 by pcolly

Correct they shouldn't.

But attempting to play a friendly on a snow covered/frozen pitch in the middle of the football season doesn't really help relations.

But if, as hornets say, no lasting damage will be done, could they provide photos of the pitch before and in the subsequent days after the game? That would surely put to bed the moans of the football fans that they can cause unacceptable damage at this time of year when conditions are unfavourable?

My opinion is that friendlies shouldn't be played unless the conditions mean minimal damage would be done. In these situations the groundsman should have the final say. He knows the demands on the pitch for the rest of the year and how the pitch can cope.

Is the groundsman in a position to do this?

A Stadium Company representative or member of the groundstaff should be able to justify all of the decisions over the last week or so.

- 13/1 covers not put on before forecasted snow
- 14/1 requests for Dale fans to help remove the snow http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/volunteers-wanted-14.01.13-596863.aspx
- 15/1 an announcement the covers will be put on top of the snow to insulate the pitch http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/pitch-update-15.01.13-600336.aspx
- 17/1 a massive effort by staff and fans to remove snow, including the use of floodlights until very late. http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/players-lend-a-hand-605008.aspx
- 18/1 pitch is '25%' frozen, Dale's game called off. http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/gillingham-postponed-606352.aspx
- 21/1 further snow covers the pitch after a weekend when temperatures were very low.
- 22/1 Hornets site report states pitch is "more than playable"
http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article.php?id=10282
- 23/1 the MEN report that plans are made to reschedule the game if it's off http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/chairman-mark-wynn-has
- 24/1 despite temperatures still having not got much above freezing and the pitch being covered in snow since '25%' of it was frozen, Hornets "anticipate no problems" and that the pitch is expected to be playable even if it snows tomorrow. Again the floodlights are on into the evening as dedicated volunteers and staff help out. http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article.php?id=10308

Hornets on 21:44 - Jan 24 with 1286 viewsMoonyDale

Hornets on 21:41 - Jan 24 by 442Dale

Is the groundsman in a position to do this?

A Stadium Company representative or member of the groundstaff should be able to justify all of the decisions over the last week or so.

- 13/1 covers not put on before forecasted snow
- 14/1 requests for Dale fans to help remove the snow http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/volunteers-wanted-14.01.13-596863.aspx
- 15/1 an announcement the covers will be put on top of the snow to insulate the pitch http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/pitch-update-15.01.13-600336.aspx
- 17/1 a massive effort by staff and fans to remove snow, including the use of floodlights until very late. http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/players-lend-a-hand-605008.aspx
- 18/1 pitch is '25%' frozen, Dale's game called off. http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/gillingham-postponed-606352.aspx
- 21/1 further snow covers the pitch after a weekend when temperatures were very low.
- 22/1 Hornets site report states pitch is "more than playable"
http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article.php?id=10282
- 23/1 the MEN report that plans are made to reschedule the game if it's off http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/chairman-mark-wynn-has
- 24/1 despite temperatures still having not got much above freezing and the pitch being covered in snow since '25%' of it was frozen, Hornets "anticipate no problems" and that the pitch is expected to be playable even if it snows tomorrow. Again the floodlights are on into the evening as dedicated volunteers and staff help out. http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article.php?id=10308

Like I said. Hornets do whatever they like, nothing changes.

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Hornets on 21:58 - Jan 24 with 1273 viewsTVOS1907

Cue some Hornets/egg-chasing sympathiser claiming football does more damage to the pitch than rugger....

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hornets on 22:08 - Jan 24 with 1258 viewsrafc1984

Hornets on 21:05 - Jan 24 by Albert_Whitehurst

I enjoy my rugby league and am pleased the town can boast Hornets. It's good to hear something else in the national news other than paedos and unemployment when Rochdale gets a mention.

Hornets live hand to mouth as the football club does. Hornets have suffered under previous regimes as the football club has. Their situation is markedly worse than our own at present but we're not quite affluent at RAFC.

I bet if we were on the breadline the FA wouldn't bail us out like the RFL bails Hornets. How would Dale and the Council bridge the gap if Hornets left or went bust? (Open question...I've no idea)

We both enjoy our local teams in a town where apathy is the overriding feeling towards local sport. Whilst rugby and football on the same pitch is far from ideal the two clubs and their fans should not be at odds.

There but for the grace of Allah we could go the same way as Hornets.

I find your third paragraph the most interesting...

"I bet if we were on the breadline the FA wouldn't bail us out like the RFL bails Hornets. How would Dale and the Council bridge the gap if Hornets left or went bust? (Open question...I've no idea)"

The RFL bail hairnets out, because they own the stadium company shares, but how much longer will that go on for, sooner or later, (probably sooner) they will say enough is enough, and then RAFC will be in the sh!t.
You are right, the FA or whoever, would not bail Dale out. Running a business, if it's not viable or run within its means, (this situation) is a liability. It is very clear that hairnets, simply cannot afford to play at Spotland Stadium, and therefore should cut the cloth accordingly.
Hornets on 22:22 - Jan 24 with 1227 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

It always amazes me how much the RFL have bailed clubs throughout history. For a sport that probably doesn't make that much money as well..!

I would imagine Hornets want the game on v Saints as they are likely to see a bigger crowd, make money and strengthen the new ties between the two clubs.

Also wondering if the Saints deal is players only or some financial backing?
Hornets on 22:32 - Jan 24 with 1213 viewsTTNYear

Do you see how much damage football does to the penalty areas?

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Hornets on 22:47 - Jan 24 with 1192 viewsMoonyDale

Hornets on 22:32 - Jan 24 by TTNYear

Do you see how much damage football does to the penalty areas?

True but the damage done to the penalty area does not impact on RL, whereas the damage done by rugby can and does impact on football.

Login to get fewer ads

Hornets on 22:54 - Jan 24 with 1176 viewsColDale

There is also the Hill factor in this. Given his use of non essential games being played at Spotland, I reckon in his own unique way, he'll be ensuring this game doesn't get the go ahead. Certainly would have kicked up a huge fuss a couple of years ago, and the conditions for this game will be worse than anything encountered before.
Hornets on 01:33 - Jan 25 with 1115 viewsDiddyDave

Hornets on 19:33 - Jan 24 by MoonyDale

Oh I know plenty my egg chasing chum, hornets rent is per match played spread in equal payments throughout they year. Both during the season and beyond it. Hornets couldn't even pay their way through their normal season and were at one point saved once again by the RFL making an eleventh hour payment, a rather large amount it was also. Now we go into the close season and instead of making payments they use the old well we ain't playing at the moment so we shouldn't have to pay.......Oh yes you do have to pay as your payments are structured throughout the year.......You don't even have a set of posts ffs, they have been loaned to you while you try to use every trick in the book to get the SC to fund you a new set. This is after you played games with unsafe posts last season, condemned by the councils own safety team.....I have much much more info if you ever want to hear it, although as a Hornets fan your head will be buried o far up your own arse you wouldn't believe any of it anyway.

Well there you go then,it would seem this might be Hornets final season if they`re as broken arse as you say. I wouldn`t be too chuffed if they did though,Dale aren`t exactly putting the ground full signs up at the moment are they? I think I`m right in saying Dale get a substantial sum from the Football League,as all clubs do,so what`s the diff? If you don`t like the game,don`t go like 99% of the Rochdale community stay away from Dale games. All I`m saying is for Christs sake both clubs are in dire straits,Hornets more than Dale maybe,but instead of slagging each other off,I would`ve thought mutual survival is better than the inevitability of both codes eventually going down the gurgler.
Hornets on 07:22 - Jan 25 with 1091 viewsMoonyDale

Hornets on 01:33 - Jan 25 by DiddyDave

Well there you go then,it would seem this might be Hornets final season if they`re as broken arse as you say. I wouldn`t be too chuffed if they did though,Dale aren`t exactly putting the ground full signs up at the moment are they? I think I`m right in saying Dale get a substantial sum from the Football League,as all clubs do,so what`s the diff? If you don`t like the game,don`t go like 99% of the Rochdale community stay away from Dale games. All I`m saying is for Christs sake both clubs are in dire straits,Hornets more than Dale maybe,but instead of slagging each other off,I would`ve thought mutual survival is better than the inevitability of both codes eventually going down the gurgler.

The difference is that Dale don't spend the money they get from the football league, then go back to the FL for more money to bail them out all in the same season. Which is exactly what Hornets I'd last year, the money they received from the RLF was used up fairly swiftly, the bail out money to pay the rent owed has to be paid back out of this seasons RFL payment. So that's a huge shortfall before they kick a ball in anger, what angers many is the attitude of some who follow that code who come on shouting we don't owe rent when they clearly do. If it was our board who were caught with their pants down I would be just as annoyed so don't take this as anti Hornets, but their finances impact on ours as we cover the shortfall. It will be interesting to see if the Saints tie in will make any difference to crowds and team performances, for their sake I hope it does. If not though, how long will the RFL continue to help out?

Hornets on 11:53 - Jan 25 with 1024 viewsjudd

IT'S OFF.

Due to ice.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Hornets on 12:00 - Jan 25 with 1009 viewsDaley_Lama

Hornets on 11:53 - Jan 25 by judd

IT'S OFF.

Due to ice.

Ice?

Rugby League Pansies.

Rugby Union boys would be out there in a maelstrom of lightening, flash floods, earthquakes and the armageddon squidging each others bits in the scrum and mauling each other in the ruck.

Poll: DF in or out

Hornets on 12:02 - Jan 25 with 1007 viewsjudd

Hornets on 12:00 - Jan 25 by Daley_Lama

Ice?

Rugby League Pansies.

Rugby Union boys would be out there in a maelstrom of lightening, flash floods, earthquakes and the armageddon squidging each others bits in the scrum and mauling each other in the ruck.

Then drinking each others' pis,s strained through regimental ties.

Hornets on 12:03 - Jan 25 with 1006 viewsDaley_Lama

Hornets on 12:02 - Jan 25 by judd

Then drinking each others' pis,s strained through regimental ties.

Real men do that don't they?

Aren't radishes involved as well?

Poll: DF in or out

Hornets on 12:04 - Jan 25 with 989 viewsjudd

Hornets on 12:03 - Jan 25 by Daley_Lama

Real men do that don't they?

Aren't radishes involved as well?

Only sideways.

Hornets on 15:42 - Jan 25 with 894 viewsRAFC1907

The funny thing was, when I was driving past the ground at 11am this morning they had a sign out in the car park asthough the game was going to be on, hahahahaha what a bunch of total morans.

If I were a Hornets director I would seriously consider buying out Springfield park and doing up that pitch and using that as the home ground, then again if I was a Hornets director I would have no money so I would not be able to.

Having said that, what a great place for them.

Poll: Bottomley...

Hornets on 22:02 - Jan 25 with 806 views442Dale

Won't be rearranged for Sunday which is good. With rain forecast or tomorrow and decent temperatures on Sunday, there will be a lot of snow thawing on the pitch.

Then there's the rain next week....

Hornets on 23:13 - Jan 25 with 768 viewsVespaDale

Theyll need plenty of helpers then its a good 5-7 inches at the mo here & still coming down good style, only 200yards from the ground & the roads are ridiculous!!! Unsafe in the stands for fans???? Awwwww diddums eggy men!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024