Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don't give up on us yet! 20:57 - Mar 2 with 2190 viewskirbys

I was a guest at Morecambe today and had a great view first half sat in the main stand close to the goal Dale were attacking.
Our general play and approach work was far more effective than Morecambe's and many of the local fans were vocally expressing the view it was only a matter of time before Dale hit the net.
Their first goal was one of those corners that landed well into the path of a Morecambe player, it was against the run of play and had good fortune written large on it.
Gornell, for some reason a target of some criticism, worked his socks off, laying off and holding up constantly, he was a real threat which in fairness to Morecambe they dealt with by isolating him in the second half.
Henderson took on players at will but with no end product - give him a few games and that will sort itself. They also nullified his threat in the 2nd half.
Bobby Grant looked rusty, offering no threat and seemed unable to connect with the front players today, rather trying to do it alone. Hilly will sort that.
A number of new players were involved today Jones and Rose had their work cut out to fit in and our play to the front was slower than normal as a result - as above a few matches will sort this.

Second half we were stung by an Ellison volley of Champions League quality. I am unsure about the ability of Lillis when it comes to long shots, he does seem to let in more than his fair share but does make up for it in his close work where he has been magnificent.
Joe came on and was very effective down the line before we were hit by a very well worked goal which no one would have stopped - but where was our right back?

All in all we had a look of a pre season side getting to know one another, with excellent passages of play and some unconvincing spells. It is work in progress folks and we will have a few more uncomfortable matches to endure.
But if Hilly can find one or two more players to play his way and who can manage to play his way we will be alright.

One thing for sure, not many sides will be as lucky as Morecambe were to score two goals like that and had we been slightly better organised the third goal would have been defended better.
As for up front today, their back four really were as good a unit as I have seen this season and Gornell and Henderson apart the goal threat was absent.
Another day another side we would have had rewards for the first half performance and kicked on from there.
Don't give up guy's, the signs are not all bad.
Don't give up on us yet! on 21:04 - Mar 2 with 2145 viewsboromat

Accrington on Tuesday were just as lucky?

Agree with some of what you've said. Gornells touch needs to improve for any of his hard work to pay off.

The funniest comment I heard walking away from the game was a Morecambe fan saying that it was their best performance of the season!!! I find that very hard to believe.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:08 - Mar 2 with 2131 viewsSalwaDale

Funny how people see things differently. I though Gornell had a stinker as his first touch inevitable lead to him being tackled or forced to go backwards. Definitely agree about him working his socks off though.

TBBT

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:13 - Mar 2 with 2109 views442Dale

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:08 - Mar 2 by SalwaDale

Funny how people see things differently. I though Gornell had a stinker as his first touch inevitable lead to him being tackled or forced to go backwards. Definitely agree about him working his socks off though.

Yeah, Gornell has gone backwards alarmingly. And Henderson offers nothing different to anything else we have.

They had clodding centre half Will Haining playing at right back, but he looked as untroubled and composed as Gary Neville.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:16 - Mar 2 with 2094 viewsSalwaDale

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:13 - Mar 2 by 442Dale

Yeah, Gornell has gone backwards alarmingly. And Henderson offers nothing different to anything else we have.

They had clodding centre half Will Haining playing at right back, but he looked as untroubled and composed as Gary Neville.

I thought Henderson did offer something extra, he looked superb first half. Granted he tired and looked nowhere near as good 2nd half.

TBBT

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:25 - Mar 2 with 2046 viewsSalwaDale

Apologies for the double post.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

TBBT

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:25 - Mar 2 with 2043 views442Dale

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:16 - Mar 2 by SalwaDale

I thought Henderson did offer something extra, he looked superb first half. Granted he tired and looked nowhere near as good 2nd half.

He did alright first half up against Haining, but can't recall many genuine opportunities that came from it.

He's a centre forward who used out wide; like Grant, Donnelly, Grimes (?), Ball, Bunn...

It's boringly repetitive.

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:25 - Mar 2 with 2040 viewsDale23years

how the fcuk can u say that after 1 game about Henderson

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:29 - Mar 2 with 2028 viewsSwissdale

I think the options are there up front, an I hope it will eventually click. Personally, if playing 433 I'd go Grant Henderson Thompson.

The biggest problem for me is the lack of defensive options. We are pretty much stuck with what we have for the rest of the season, which is a terrifying prospect. Really not as impressed with SCS, who seems to make one or two big errors every game, and distributes the ball very poorly.
Login to get fewer ads

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:30 - Mar 2 with 2023 viewsSalwaDale

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:29 - Mar 2 by Swissdale

I think the options are there up front, an I hope it will eventually click. Personally, if playing 433 I'd go Grant Henderson Thompson.

The biggest problem for me is the lack of defensive options. We are pretty much stuck with what we have for the rest of the season, which is a terrifying prospect. Really not as impressed with SCS, who seems to make one or two big errors every game, and distributes the ball very poorly.

SCS = McArdle.

TBBT

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:32 - Mar 2 with 2018 viewsboromat

I think Henderson looked a good prospect. Obviously not fit as he vanished from the game in the second half but looked a handful in the first half. He ran at players and took them on. Yes we have other players who are capable of that but when was the last time we saw it happen?

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Don't give up on us yet! on 23:25 - Mar 2 with 1910 views442Dale

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:25 - Mar 2 by Dale23years

how the fcuk can u say that after 1 game about Henderson

Can only say what I've seen, it's more of a criticism of a type of player and a way if playing than an individual. Henderson might end up being a world beater, but for now that could have been any number of forward players that we've seen play out wide. Harry Bunn was brilliant in the exact same role v Preston in the JPT, look how that all ended up going nowhere.

Don't give up on us yet! on 23:38 - Mar 2 with 1882 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Thanks for the thorough review Kirbz.

Hilly sees it slightly differently though,thinks some of our shower are big headed and "far too good for this lot " attitude......who will that lot be?

Also says he has learned a lot about them today.......etc etc

We cant keep saying Accy got lucky,Barnet got lucky and now Morecambe got lucky....

when the f*ck do we get lucky?

PS>>>>>Isn't there a saying "You make your own luck"?
Don't give up on us yet! on 23:39 - Mar 2 with 1877 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Don't give up on us yet! on 21:30 - Mar 2 by SalwaDale

SCS = McArdle.

Spot on,there's always a good mistake or two in there.

A bit like Holness too.
Don't give up on us yet! on 23:52 - Mar 2 with 1852 viewsolympicdale

I have to agree with regards to Gornell, the lad seems to disappear very early on in games. Henderson, even though i wasn't there today, i think will be a good signing, I have high hopes for this lad, good to hear he had as decent a game as one can hope for in his first outing with the team, I'd expect a good game form him vs Wycombe.

Life is a game of fate.

Don't give up on us yet! on 08:46 - Mar 3 with 1723 viewsMass_Debater

Don't give up on us yet! on 23:52 - Mar 2 by olympicdale

I have to agree with regards to Gornell, the lad seems to disappear very early on in games. Henderson, even though i wasn't there today, i think will be a good signing, I have high hopes for this lad, good to hear he had as decent a game as one can hope for in his first outing with the team, I'd expect a good game form him vs Wycombe.

the lad?
Don't give up on us yet! on 09:20 - Mar 3 with 1669 viewskirbys

Don't give up on us yet! on 23:38 - Mar 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

Thanks for the thorough review Kirbz.

Hilly sees it slightly differently though,thinks some of our shower are big headed and "far too good for this lot " attitude......who will that lot be?

Also says he has learned a lot about them today.......etc etc

We cant keep saying Accy got lucky,Barnet got lucky and now Morecambe got lucky....

when the f*ck do we get lucky?

PS>>>>>Isn't there a saying "You make your own luck"?

You are dead right Yorkie, "you make your own luck" and the better your side the more luck you get.
We just don't have full functioning side yet. As Hilly and co work hard with this squad I predict it will be enough to keep us in the league "just".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024