Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? 09:05 - Nov 9 with 2128 viewsmacman

The thing I am trying to sort out is the rotation scheme. In my view it has a positive and a negative:

Positive - Firstly it will keep all players motivated and ready because there is a realistic chance they will get playing time. Secondly it keeps down the number of injuries and hence all the players should stay fit for the whole season.

Negative - Tiendalli is the most obvious example because if ML did not insist on rotating Tiendalli would not get any playing time at all. I am not picking on Tiendalli, he is just a very clear example. The second thing about the rotation is, yes we are achieving all of the above, I think the pace of the team suffers because they lack the touch some players get from playing every time. Too many stop&go passes instead of first time passes. We need it against the teams who sit low on the pitch to open up their box defence and we need it against the big teams to give us space when they put pressure on the middle field and back four.

Rotation works better for teams like Man U or Chelsea because they know the will play for everything all the time and they have, I am sorry to say, players who generally a level up from ours.

So what is the choice in the end: rotation and more mediocre performances or no rotation and higher quality of play, but also the chance of more injuries or after X-mas fatigue?

You might have guessed that although I understand ML's strategy I would probably go for a mix. As an example I think Shelvey would be a much better player if he knew he is playing all the time. Now it seems he has to prove himself everytime he plays. In my view he could and should be the best signing because he he is not a sideways player and we have enough of those.

On a very personal note I would play Tremmel much more. Maybe he is not as good as Vorm with his feet, but he is much better on high balls. Vorm is just not master of his domain, the little box, and I don't know of any league where that is more important than the PL. So I am happy to know he is playing against Stoke - a typical high ball team.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2013 9:10]
ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:09 - Nov 9 with 2116 viewsJackanapes

If we are not good now, its because we never were. If we are awesome now its because we always were.
Or somewhere in between for rational people.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:15 - Nov 9 with 2103 viewsmacman

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:09 - Nov 9 by Jackanapes

If we are not good now, its because we never were. If we are awesome now its because we always were.
Or somewhere in between for rational people.

I think you are missing the point. Anyone who has seen our team at its best will have no doubt we are more than good enough. My point is, is the squad as whole strong/good enough to be rotated in the same way as Man U or Chelsea. That is my question and I will like to see your comment on that, please.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2013 9:19]
ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:17 - Nov 9 with 2097 viewsJackanapes

I have seen our team at its best and at its worst. I would gauge its true abiltiy as some kind of average of this. I have never in 40 years seen a team who can play brilliantly every week.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:18 - Nov 9 with 2092 viewsJackanapes

I think squad rotation is essential or else the changes will be enforced. You cant play the same 11 players 60 times a season.

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:26 - Nov 9 with 2062 viewsmacman

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:18 - Nov 9 by Jackanapes

I think squad rotation is essential or else the changes will be enforced. You cant play the same 11 players 60 times a season.

Barcelona does. Their core players are more or less the same every time and they play a lot more than we do. Maybe the Spanish league is not as physical as the PL, but the play big games all the time.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2013 9:26]
ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:27 - Nov 9 with 2057 viewsMagicDaps

Tiendalli is the only player getting game time who I think isn't good enough, I still think we've got enough quality in that position though as I think Jazz Richards is a lot more reliable at right back and a good 4th choice full back.

I think it's needed, and I think we've got enough depth to do it.

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:38 - Nov 9 with 2035 viewsDr_Winston

It's been difficult for the kind of regular partnerships and pairings (think Rangel & Dyer) to form with the amount of changes we've been forced to make. Once we've got the group stages over with and we're down to a straight two leg format (should we qualify) then things may settle down a little bit.

It's certainly not helped our season so far, although it's not the only reason we've been well below our best.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:49 - Nov 9 with 1996 viewsmonmouth

I think we're ok rotating two or three, but not any more than that. So, if your question is, can we put out radically different teams of our best quality then the answer is no, and I would expect our core players to play the majority of games, with us sacrificing the FA cup assuming we're still in Europe at the time.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 10:11 - Nov 9 with 1976 viewsmacman

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 09:49 - Nov 9 by monmouth

I think we're ok rotating two or three, but not any more than that. So, if your question is, can we put out radically different teams of our best quality then the answer is no, and I would expect our core players to play the majority of games, with us sacrificing the FA cup assuming we're still in Europe at the time.

Agree. I am all for the sacrifice FA and Leaugue cups, but losing to Liverpool the way we did last year 1-5 away cannot be good for the team spirit either. So let's turn towards a core 8:

Vorm (I prefer Tremmel)

Angel Willams&Chico Davies/Taylor

Canas/Britton

X Shelvey x

Michu

Bony
[Post edited 9 Nov 2013 10:15]
ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 10:37 - Nov 9 with 1936 viewsJokeren1943

The reality is that we did<nt really peck last season before mid november (we had an fantastic start with 2 wins, but after that some draws and quite alot of defeats).

On the positive side I think Bony seem to be close to working at a 100 % (Laudrup just has to use him).

Pozuelo showed how good a player he was against the russians. He did<nt play in Spain so the speed he has adjusted to a whole new league has been fantastic. And he is only in his start 20s. Where Michu in the last matchs has tended to drop too deep, Pozuelo stay more forward (where it hurts). He need to be a bit more selfish (cause he has a fine shoot). Could see him play as the creative midfielder (so we have both Michu and Bony in front of him - and Pablo and Routledge on the wings).
ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 13:13 - Nov 9 with 1850 viewsDull1Thomas

Really good opening post.

The idea of a core is sound as we really only have a core of players who are good enough for the Premier league - it has been the style of play we've adopted that has allowed the team to prosper.
In my mind the only position that really have depth are goalkeeper and wing (if and when Pablo shows up).
If you had only one game to play and had the whole squad to pick based on potential I think few would argue with:-
RB = Rangel
Right CB = Chico
Left CB =- Ash
LB Ben (some prefer Taylor but I still can't see why)
Right M = Leon
CM = Leon (ML doesn't seem to agree)
AM = Michu
CM = JdG
Left M = Pablo
CF = Bony

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 14:27 - Nov 9 with 1793 viewsJokeren1943

We have a core on the team

Vorm
Rangel - Chico - Williams - Davies
Michu

6 out of 11 players are core players.

Some may say "Routledge" is a core player too.

The massive problem is that we do not have 1-2 core players on the central midfield (the machine room). We need to have consistency here too maintain a high level in each match.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2013 14:31]
ML's rotation scheme - are we really that good? on 19:26 - Nov 9 with 1726 viewsPlasticman

kinda funny this, cause I rmember last season nearing the end where we played with the same team all the time and play just stagnated while the players looked tired and disinterested.

There are 2 sides to every point I guess.

Plastic since 2012

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024