Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 18:43 - Jun 21 with 758 viewsmacro

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=85663
Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 19:01 - Jun 21 with 729 viewsrafc1984

Makes grim reading does that. So next season they are not playing in darlington, and are probably playing one level away from sunday league, will be interesting to see what sort of crowds they get, and if they can ever get back to the football league.
Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 19:13 - Jun 21 with 711 viewsColDale

Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 19:01 - Jun 21 by rafc1984

Makes grim reading does that. So next season they are not playing in darlington, and are probably playing one level away from sunday league, will be interesting to see what sort of crowds they get, and if they can ever get back to the football league.

the rebirth of Chester FC has been the making of them, so its not necessarily the end of the road for Darlo just yet.
Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 19:17 - Jun 21 with 702 viewsolympicdale

its the fans I feel for, we dont know how lucky we are.

Life is a game of fate.

Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 19:51 - Jun 21 with 660 viewsrafc1984

Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 19:13 - Jun 21 by ColDale

the rebirth of Chester FC has been the making of them, so its not necessarily the end of the road for Darlo just yet.

True, but Chester were in better shape than what Darlington are now. Chester started in NPL1 and continued to play at the Deva, therefore keeping a fan base to an extent, while Darlo are sharing a ground some miles away from home and will need two promotions before they get to were Chester started again, plus trying to sort out some ground of there own. Grim.
Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 08:24 - Jun 22 with 542 viewsfermin

Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 19:51 - Jun 21 by rafc1984

True, but Chester were in better shape than what Darlington are now. Chester started in NPL1 and continued to play at the Deva, therefore keeping a fan base to an extent, while Darlo are sharing a ground some miles away from home and will need two promotions before they get to were Chester started again, plus trying to sort out some ground of there own. Grim.

Chester's big advantage was that the Council owned the ground and refused to sell it to Vaughan or its predecessors.

Darlington are one level below where Chester restarted, the same level as where Wimbledon restarted and one above where FC United started. Given the Northern League's clubs' reluctance to take promotion it is probably fair to say it is about the same standard as the Evostik League Division 1. Very harsh to describe it as one step above Sunday League.
Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 09:10 - Jun 22 with 517 viewsSuddenLad

As everyone agrees, it's the fans who will get the sympathy and that's right but the club now have to change their name to continue at all, so this really does signal the end for Darlington in football terms.

Playing on someone else's ground, in a different town, with a new name hardly lends itself to any form of continuity.

I feel very sad at the demise of Darlo, and I only hope that in future cases the football authorities wield the same stick with the same venom at some of the 'bigger teams' who have got away and in some cases prospered, as a result of financial mismanagement, for years.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 10:38 - Jun 22 with 488 viewsrafc1984

Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 08:24 - Jun 22 by fermin

Chester's big advantage was that the Council owned the ground and refused to sell it to Vaughan or its predecessors.

Darlington are one level below where Chester restarted, the same level as where Wimbledon restarted and one above where FC United started. Given the Northern League's clubs' reluctance to take promotion it is probably fair to say it is about the same standard as the Evostik League Division 1. Very harsh to describe it as one step above Sunday League.

NPL football is of a miles better standard than NE/NW counties football, and that is where Darlo will have to start, on a shoestring budget. Whether they start in NE1 or the premier is yet to be determined from my understanding.
I am aware of other teams wanting to join at that level, Penistone being one of them, an affluent area, and there own tidy ground. They have constantly won or come second in their combination league, and believe they are ready to step up. They have a few ex Sheff Utd/Wed players involved and are looking to emulate what Stocksbridge PS have achieved over the past few years.
Good luck to Darlington, and I hope they bounce back, a proper football league club, but I cant see that being any time soon.
Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 20:01 - Jun 26 with 376 viewsmacro

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?&newsmode=FULL&nid=85763
Login to get fewer ads

Darlo or whatever they're called chapter 26 on 07:55 - Jun 28 with 292 viewsaleanddale

But for the grace of god.

This could have been any one of a dozen or more clubs ( inc Dale ).

I hope all other clubs following this saga learn from the Darlo mistakes and play / exist within there means.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024