Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hill Interview on BBC site 23:35 - Mar 13 with 3965 views442Dale

Wants to stay, but some interesting comments. Apologies if it's already been posted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21768847

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hill Interview on BBC site on 23:51 - Mar 13 with 2878 viewssweetcorn

better stay.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Hill Interview on BBC site on 01:31 - Mar 14 with 2822 viewsolympicdale

making all the right sounds, just wonder when the board will sit him down and discuss a possibility of a longer deal, I would imagine, once the 50 points mark has been breached.

"I would commit myself without looking for the next opportunity,"

that's an interesting line, he seems to have learnt not to jump ship too readily, and job satisfaction seems to be more important to him now, having a club he knows in and out, and a chairman who will back him to the hills.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Life is a game of fate.

Hill Interview on BBC site on 07:09 - Mar 14 with 2774 viewsColDale

Hills putting a bit of pressure on the club. I think he genuninely wants to stay but the circumstances need to be right. I don't think its about salary, I think its about being able to have the coaching team and budget in place to give us a chance of being successful. Whether the club can match that is a different issue, but all this talk of extending the deal adds to that pressure. Hill knows that if the club can't come up with something to his satisfaction, it will be the club that gets it in the neck with accusations of a lack of ambition. The club will know this too, and will realise once again that Hill is pulling the strings from top to bottom again.

Welcome back Keith!
Hill Interview on BBC site on 10:13 - Mar 14 with 2649 viewsFrog

I hope the club can sort this, it would be really interesting to see how he does after a summer of signing his own players again and maybe a couple of back room staff. Can't say I've felt excited pre season (or in season) since he left.
Hill Interview on BBC site on 10:21 - Mar 14 with 2635 viewsAtThePeake

Hill Interview on BBC site on 07:09 - Mar 14 by ColDale

Hills putting a bit of pressure on the club. I think he genuninely wants to stay but the circumstances need to be right. I don't think its about salary, I think its about being able to have the coaching team and budget in place to give us a chance of being successful. Whether the club can match that is a different issue, but all this talk of extending the deal adds to that pressure. Hill knows that if the club can't come up with something to his satisfaction, it will be the club that gets it in the neck with accusations of a lack of ambition. The club will know this too, and will realise once again that Hill is pulling the strings from top to bottom again.

Welcome back Keith!

To quote the man himself, it's time for the club to stick or twist!

Tangled up in blue.

Hill Interview on BBC site on 12:35 - Mar 14 with 2510 viewssteofthedale

Purely speculative but I wonder who is actually paying the bulk of Hill's wages at the moment.

Barnsley's finances are tight and in parting company with Hill presumably there was a pay off. This may have been a lump sum but it could also be that they were committed to continuing to pay Hilly say for a year, or until his next job.

I have no knowledge of his salary at Barnsley but suspect it was orders of magnitude greater than that available at Rochdale.

Is it possible that a deal was struck between RAFC/Barnsley/Hill whereby his income is maintained to the end of the season, most being paid by Barnsley but some offset by RAFC? Rochdale have an affordable manager, Hilly has a job paid at championship salary and Barnsley save some money.

In such a scenario ' "I would commit myself without looking for the next opportunity," "But it's got to be compatible with my needs as well or I will always be looking for an exit strategy" might have a different nuance.

steofthedale*

Hill Interview on BBC site on 12:41 - Mar 14 with 2496 viewsD_Alien

Hill Interview on BBC site on 12:35 - Mar 14 by steofthedale

Purely speculative but I wonder who is actually paying the bulk of Hill's wages at the moment.

Barnsley's finances are tight and in parting company with Hill presumably there was a pay off. This may have been a lump sum but it could also be that they were committed to continuing to pay Hilly say for a year, or until his next job.

I have no knowledge of his salary at Barnsley but suspect it was orders of magnitude greater than that available at Rochdale.

Is it possible that a deal was struck between RAFC/Barnsley/Hill whereby his income is maintained to the end of the season, most being paid by Barnsley but some offset by RAFC? Rochdale have an affordable manager, Hilly has a job paid at championship salary and Barnsley save some money.

In such a scenario ' "I would commit myself without looking for the next opportunity," "But it's got to be compatible with my needs as well or I will always be looking for an exit strategy" might have a different nuance.

Good point, but the "compatibility with his needs" I would suggest refers to the structure of the club more than to his salary, since he'll know that we can't afford to be paying anyone above the odds, including whatever the odds are for a club like Rochdale should we regain L1 status (or even higher).

Edit: maybe that's what you meant by "a different nuance"?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hill Interview on BBC site on 12:44 - Mar 14 with 2492 viewsolympicdale

Hill Interview on BBC site on 07:09 - Mar 14 by ColDale

Welcome back Keith!

The board surely can not afford to let him go now, they are already under pressure from many fans after the decisions in the last two years. The board know what Hill demands, and Hill himself knows the club well, and wont ask for the earth, more a shake up, as is once again needed.

Life is a game of fate.

Login to get fewer ads

Hill Interview on BBC site on 14:12 - Mar 14 with 2362 viewsD_Dale

At Spotland, KH is a legend. Dale's most successful manager etc.

But in the wider football world, he's only as good as his recent record. Not only did he have no success at Barnsley, it now appears that his no. 2 - Flicker - is getting that club out of the relegation zone (and managed a good FA Cup run).

When he came to Dale, there was talk of a late challenge for the play-offs. Now it is a case of striving to get 50 points. The board has supported him by allowing the signing of five new players.

The board can await developments for a few more weeks. If another club comes in for KH, so be it. There are other good ex-managers keen to get back into work.

Personally, I'd hope for the start of next season to see KH, and that massive ego, installed as manager. But I don't think he's in a position to write his own contract.
Hill Interview on BBC site on 15:57 - Mar 14 with 2281 viewsSuddenLad

Hill Interview on BBC site on 14:12 - Mar 14 by D_Dale

But in the wider football world, he's only as good as his recent record. Not only did he have no success at Barnsley, it now appears that his no. 2 - Flicker - is getting that club out of the relegation zone (and managed a good FA Cup run).

When he came to Dale, there was talk of a late challenge for the play-offs. Now it is a case of striving to get 50 points. The board has supported him by allowing the signing of five new players.

The board can await developments for a few more weeks. If another club comes in for KH, so be it. There are other good ex-managers keen to get back into work.

Personally, I'd hope for the start of next season to see KH, and that massive ego, installed as manager. But I don't think he's in a position to write his own contract.

Players have only arrived here to balance the numbers of those that have left, either permanently or on loan.

I imagine there will already have been a reduction in the wage bill and the signing of Rose, Henderson and Haworth are likely to have been relatively inexpensive.

I expect much more 'shape shifting' in the future. The Board surely MUST back Keith Hill after their recent (1) mistake and (2) disaster.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Hill Interview on BBC site on 16:04 - Mar 14 with 2268 viewsSuddenLad

Edit.........................double post nonsense...................

Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:55 - Mar 14 with 2138 viewsTalkingSutty

Agree with that. I hope Hilly can be accommodated and he signs a two year contract but the most important man at the club is the Chairman.

Can Dunphy stretch the finances of the club to breaking point to support Hilly,knowing all the time that he could just up sticks when the next available job comes along.

I would like to see Hilly do a Dario Gradi at the club and bring through young talent to sell on at a profit to stabalise the long term future of the club. Would it be possible to give Hilly a cut of transfer fees over a certain amount, i dont know.

The club is skint but i am sure the Chairman would move heaven and earth to support the manager, can he be sure of Hills long term loyalty further down the line though because i dont think our fortunes will turn overnight ?
Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:59 - Mar 14 with 2133 viewsnordenblue

He's never tried to write his own contract and rumour has it when Dunphy made the call for Hilly to help out there was never a mention of salary or contract length,this speaks volumes of the man.
I personally believe he's had his fingers burnt with the move to Barnsley,not in a financial sense but i honestly believe he'd take some shifting from Spotland if he was to be offered a decent length contract.The grass isn't always greener as he's found out
Hill Interview on BBC site on 18:09 - Mar 14 with 2113 viewsTalkingSutty

Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:59 - Mar 14 by nordenblue

He's never tried to write his own contract and rumour has it when Dunphy made the call for Hilly to help out there was never a mention of salary or contract length,this speaks volumes of the man.
I personally believe he's had his fingers burnt with the move to Barnsley,not in a financial sense but i honestly believe he'd take some shifting from Spotland if he was to be offered a decent length contract.The grass isn't always greener as he's found out

I hope your right, Hillys not everybodys cup of tea and he can be very tiresome at times but he is a good manager in his own right.

Since his arrival at the club we already look better organised, our discipline as improved and i think its noticeable that our fitness levels look far higher.

The fact that some players just arent capable of playing the Hilly way is holding us back though, hence the few poor results.
Hill Interview on BBC site on 19:01 - Mar 14 with 2045 viewsSuddenLad

Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:55 - Mar 14 by TalkingSutty

Agree with that. I hope Hilly can be accommodated and he signs a two year contract but the most important man at the club is the Chairman.

Can Dunphy stretch the finances of the club to breaking point to support Hilly,knowing all the time that he could just up sticks when the next available job comes along.

I would like to see Hilly do a Dario Gradi at the club and bring through young talent to sell on at a profit to stabalise the long term future of the club. Would it be possible to give Hilly a cut of transfer fees over a certain amount, i dont know.

The club is skint but i am sure the Chairman would move heaven and earth to support the manager, can he be sure of Hills long term loyalty further down the line though because i dont think our fortunes will turn overnight ?

If ever, in the history of this club, there was a reason to improve the off-field activities and increase revenue streams, then this is it.

If the club can't secure a deal that keeps KH at Spotland, nor is able provide the means to support his aims and objectives, then we need to get used to being in this league (or lower) for many years to come.

This opportunity may not come this way again.

Hill Interview on BBC site on 19:12 - Mar 14 with 2031 viewsSuddenLad

Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:55 - Mar 14 by TalkingSutty

Edit.........................multiple post nonsense.......................

Hill Interview on BBC site on 19:51 - Mar 14 with 1958 viewsPDIDDY

Hill Interview on BBC site on 10:21 - Mar 14 by AtThePeake

To quote the man himself, it's time for the club to stick or twist!

Got dale over a barrell I'd say, give him a 2 yr deal IMHO

Gissa job

Hill Interview on BBC site on 20:02 - Mar 14 with 1941 viewsDale92

The club needs a long term vision and goal with or without KH. The lack of planning from the top down in reason years has been baffling and non league at best. We have to look at the likes of Swansea, Wigan and Blackpool and maybe even Crewe as motivation that teams on a small budget and small fanbases can achieve great things. We have to keep continuity in a style of play and bringing through young players from the youth system (I think the last player to actually come through the youth system was Buckley- who was released from Oldham before he came here). If you use Swansea as an example they have always kept continuity when managerial changes are needed and through that succeeded. When you look at the recent appointments of Eyre and Coleman. The first had no expierence in first team football in general and Coleman was the KH anti Christ. The original core of the squad that Keith left had been ripped apart and in many ways KH has to take some blame for poaching players but he knew the board would crumble when offers came in and to be fair left Eyre with an up hill task but he was hopeless. But the club should have been planning his departure from the day we got promoted (forget about the 5 year plan because as it turned out it was a house of cards). Now If the club has any sense it will create a plan a stick to it that will exist with life after Hill. By creating a manager through or own system or having a strict criteria on the appointment of managers that fit with the vision of club and will help evolve it rather than short term fixes.

This is the One, I've waited for

Hill Interview on BBC site on 22:23 - Mar 14 with 1821 viewsD_Alien

Hill Interview on BBC site on 19:01 - Mar 14 by SuddenLad

If ever, in the history of this club, there was a reason to improve the off-field activities and increase revenue streams, then this is it.

If the club can't secure a deal that keeps KH at Spotland, nor is able provide the means to support his aims and objectives, then we need to get used to being in this league (or lower) for many years to come.

This opportunity may not come this way again.

If some of us are reading between the lines correctly, it may well be that KH's terms for signing up on a medium- or long-term deal will depend on the board showing that they're willing to do exactly that - increase revenue streams - and not just through the nurturing of saleable assets; that's what KH does, while in the past the board have sat back and smoked cigars.

Chris Dunphy and the rest have the manager they want (need), and enough plans put their way by the Dale Trust to move the club into 21st century mode. Failure now, either to secure KH's foreseeable future with the Dale, or to fail to grasp the commercial opportunities that his stewardship will represent, will not be forgiven by the long-suffering supporters.

Its now or never CD. You have nothing to lose but the very existence of the Dale as a football league club.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hill Interview on BBC site on 09:31 - Mar 15 with 1629 viewsAtThePeake

Personally, I think I'll be happy either way.

Whilst I don't trust our board when it comes to maximising our profits and making intelligent decisions with regards to managers etc. I always trust our board to make a sensible decision financially. If Keith Hill's demand of a budget and wage is beyond what we can afford then I trust the board to tell him so and to make the correct decision.

As someone mentioned however, I don't see why Hill's wage would be a stumbling block though - after being sacked with a dismal display with Barnsley I can't see any clubs bigger than us wanting him - and he knows this club inside and out.

Tangled up in blue.

Hill Interview on BBC site on 12:12 - Mar 15 with 1531 viewsolympicdale

Hill Interview on BBC site on 09:31 - Mar 15 by AtThePeake

Personally, I think I'll be happy either way.

Whilst I don't trust our board when it comes to maximising our profits and making intelligent decisions with regards to managers etc. I always trust our board to make a sensible decision financially. If Keith Hill's demand of a budget and wage is beyond what we can afford then I trust the board to tell him so and to make the correct decision.

As someone mentioned however, I don't see why Hill's wage would be a stumbling block though - after being sacked with a dismal display with Barnsley I can't see any clubs bigger than us wanting him - and he knows this club inside and out.

I cant see Hill demanding too much when it comes to the playing budget or his personal wages, he knows what we can afford, and knows we wont put the financial future of this club in jeopardy for any one man. He talks regularly about being happy here, happy in his personal life, he is already putting the pressure on the board in getting what he wants, turning the screws, he's very clever is Keith.

This is most definitely the most important decision the board will make in the near future, if they let Hill slip through the net many fans will not forgive them, after the last two tears, they owe it to the fans, to give everything Hill wants, it wont be the earth, but it will pay for itself. It's not just for the footballing sides of things, some people will be holding back with regards to season tickets etc for next season.

I dont know how much control Hill had last time around, but surely he needs to demand more activity on the commercial side of the club, this is a note we've played for years, but someone needs to give the whole department a kick up the rear, and maybe Hill can, he speaks about motivation a lot, this is what that department seem to be lacking, but for a club our size its crucial we get it sorted.

Life is a game of fate.

Hill Interview on BBC site on 13:10 - Mar 15 with 1470 viewsHopwoodblue

The one thing we can be sure of that he won't put us debt as its something he hates with a passion! Everything he's ever asked for he has repaid with a profit,ie promotion/playoff final. You have to speculate to acumulate and thats exactly what we did last time, spent alot on sports science,back room staff,but after three years or so were promoted which equaled more tv money probably tripled the gate receipts with the large away followings in div one,plus all the transfer money he generated. They have got to work out are they willing to trust him again with the large outlay. Or more to the point can they afford not to trust him to make a profit and get us back up to the top end of the league chasing glory once again,generating interest amongst the town folk of Rochdale in the beloved football club.
Its either get someone else in and just plod on from year to year like we've done for so many,or lets have another shot at glory with the only guy who's ever really give us success each season he was here. I for one was very un happy with him when he left,in fact a was very angry and didn't want him to succeed at Barnsley,but we have to forgive and forget for the sake of ROCHDALE AFC because they come first before anyone else and thats what matters most.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:16 - Mar 15 with 1350 viewsfrenzied

Come the end of the season when teams are looking to move their present managers out of the door im sure Hill will be linked with several vacancies..purely because what he achieved at Dale last time around comfortably surviving in league 1,.
His experience at Barnsley will have been a great learning experience for himself so he may be wary of a move at that level again ..i wouldnt however be suprised to see him takeover at a league one side in the summer.
Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:22 - Mar 15 with 1343 viewsColDale

Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:16 - Mar 15 by frenzied

Come the end of the season when teams are looking to move their present managers out of the door im sure Hill will be linked with several vacancies..purely because what he achieved at Dale last time around comfortably surviving in league 1,.
His experience at Barnsley will have been a great learning experience for himself so he may be wary of a move at that level again ..i wouldnt however be suprised to see him takeover at a league one side in the summer.

there's probably been about 7 or 8 jobs to have come up since he came back that we'd have thought he was perfect for
Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:50 - Mar 15 with 1303 viewsolympicdale

Hill Interview on BBC site on 17:16 - Mar 15 by frenzied

I'm not sure he'll be in as big a rush to leave so soon this time, he will want to raise his profile once more, and where better at a club he knows inside out, and where he's had success in the past, if he guides us up once more he will get a much better offer than the likes of Oldham/Tranmere etc, raising his own profile, and ours in the process, for his successor.

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024