Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Up the Vallians' 22:35 - Mar 10 with 3098 viewsroccydaleian

Never heard about this before.
Up the Vallians' on 22:42 - Mar 10 with 3075 viewsrochdaleest1907

When was this published?

daveofthedale

Up the Vallians' on 22:48 - Mar 10 with 3060 viewsroccydaleian

Up the Vallians' on 22:42 - Mar 10 by rochdaleest1907

When was this published?

1960, according to the post i took it off Twitter.
Up the Vallians' on 23:34 - Mar 10 with 2990 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Up the Vallians' on 22:48 - Mar 10 by roccydaleian

1960, according to the post i took it off Twitter.

Quite a few away programmes in the mid to late 50s had that as our nickname under the 'club details'. Never 'The Dale'.
Up the Vallians' on 23:36 - Mar 10 with 2983 viewsAtThePeake

I see you follow me on twitter Roccy!

Tangled up in blue.

Up the Vallians' on 23:44 - Mar 10 with 2968 viewsroccydaleian

Up the Vallians' on 23:36 - Mar 10 by AtThePeake

I see you follow me on twitter Roccy!

Aye! Have you a problem with that, or do you want me to unfollow?
Up the Vallians' on 23:46 - Mar 10 with 2963 viewsAtThePeake

Up the Vallians' on 23:44 - Mar 10 by roccydaleian

Aye! Have you a problem with that, or do you want me to unfollow?

I'll allow it.

Tangled up in blue.

Up the Vallians' on 23:54 - Mar 10 with 2951 viewsroccydaleian

Up the Vallians' on 23:46 - Mar 10 by AtThePeake

I'll allow it.

Cheers pal,
Up the Vallians' on 04:26 - Mar 11 with 2871 viewsdavidab2202

Having been going to Spotland now for over 60 years, in the early days it was always given as the nickname for Rochdale, but how and were the name came from can't help off the top of my head.Don't ever remember it being chanted at games even with the bigger crowds we used to get way back then.
Login to get fewer ads

Up the Vallians' on 07:42 - Mar 11 with 2803 viewsILoveMYclub

Makes some sense as both a Dale and Valley are geologically similar.
Looks like my often wise crack to the welsh "You don't have the monoplies on Valleys" is well and truly true.
Valley + Rochdalian ==Vallian.

...or perhaps Valiants should be more apt after the result against Bury.
Up the Vallians' on 08:17 - Mar 11 with 2765 viewsAlexF

Up the Vallians' on 04:26 - Mar 11 by davidab2202

Having been going to Spotland now for over 60 years, in the early days it was always given as the nickname for Rochdale, but how and were the name came from can't help off the top of my head.Don't ever remember it being chanted at games even with the bigger crowds we used to get way back then.

yes back in the 60's it was always quoted as the 'official' nickname, but I never heard a single person actually use it, partly coz I dont think anyone actually knew what it meant. The origin must go way back. Mind you there are some strange ones in there - Coventry are listed as the bantams, I always thought that was Bratf'rt, whilst Man U have always been the red devils i thought?
[Post edited 11 Mar 2014 8:22]
Up the Vallians' on 08:49 - Mar 11 with 2732 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Up the Vallians' on 08:17 - Mar 11 by AlexF

yes back in the 60's it was always quoted as the 'official' nickname, but I never heard a single person actually use it, partly coz I dont think anyone actually knew what it meant. The origin must go way back. Mind you there are some strange ones in there - Coventry are listed as the bantams, I always thought that was Bratf'rt, whilst Man U have always been the red devils i thought?
[Post edited 11 Mar 2014 8:22]

Salford RLFC were the original 'Red Devils'. A phrase coined by the journalists during a 1934 tour of France where the team were said to play like 'devils'.

Quite when the name was introduced at Old Trafford I don't know...but I'm sure the club badge didn't contain the current devil and trident until some time in the early-mid 80s?
Up the Vallians' on 11:46 - Mar 11 with 2601 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Also....I've never met a Miller that could be described as 'merry'..!
Up the Vallians' on 12:55 - Mar 11 with 2522 viewsAtThePeake

Up the Vallians' on 08:49 - Mar 11 by Albert_Whitehurst

Salford RLFC were the original 'Red Devils'. A phrase coined by the journalists during a 1934 tour of France where the team were said to play like 'devils'.

Quite when the name was introduced at Old Trafford I don't know...but I'm sure the club badge didn't contain the current devil and trident until some time in the early-mid 80s?

Thought I'd seen that pic of Best before. Think he'd stopped playing for United by mid-70s so think you're a little out with your dates there NC.

Tangled up in blue.

Up the Vallians' on 12:59 - Mar 11 with 2508 viewsSaxonDale

Early 70's,

http://thebusbyway.com/club-crests/
Up the Vallians' on 13:48 - Mar 11 with 2434 viewspioneer

Up the Vallians' on 07:42 - Mar 11 by ILoveMYclub

Makes some sense as both a Dale and Valley are geologically similar.
Looks like my often wise crack to the welsh "You don't have the monoplies on Valleys" is well and truly true.
Valley + Rochdalian ==Vallian.

...or perhaps Valiants should be more apt after the result against Bury.

Valiants is Port Vale's nickname (and of course Villans is Aston Vanilla) so plenty of options for scrabble players stuggling with a 'v'!

The Vallians was the 'official' nickname from the early days (I have books from the 1930s and programmes going back to the 1920s with that in). Also often used in match reports in pre WW2 years. It does relate to the Valley we occupy (although of course our only ground is not in the valley but up t'hill).

I think the Dale was adopted informally as an abreviation in the early 1970s and appeared on the club badge at that time. I dont think there was ever any offical adoption (or official termination of the Vallians nickname).

Vallians has a bit more imagination to it than 'Dale' but I doubt we will ever see the club revert to using it.

Googling 'vallians' produces a wide range of entries but only this thread that relates to it as our nickname. There is a pizza store in Houston Texas and and reference to "Frankie Valli ans the four seasons!"

As for Man U - there is very little original about the entire organisation - see the chapter on them in the book on football in Greater Manchester now in second edition. Its a great read (even if written by a City fan!).
Up the Vallians' on 13:53 - Mar 11 with 2429 viewspioneer

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Coventry_City/Coventry_City.htm

This explains Coventry's 'bantams' nickname - as with most things in football Jimmy Hill can be blamed for the change it appears!
Up the Vallians' on 12:45 - Mar 13 with 2206 viewspioneer

Up the Vallians' on 12:55 - Mar 11 by AtThePeake

Thought I'd seen that pic of Best before. Think he'd stopped playing for United by mid-70s so think you're a little out with your dates there NC.

Worth noting that the Club blazer Moyes is wearing at games has the 'old' pre red devil coat of arms crest (with MUFC underneath it). This was the crest they had on the shirts they wor in cup finals in 1950s and 1960s.
Up the Vallians' on 13:21 - Mar 13 with 2165 viewsAtThePeake

Up the Vallians' on 12:45 - Mar 13 by pioneer

Worth noting that the Club blazer Moyes is wearing at games has the 'old' pre red devil coat of arms crest (with MUFC underneath it). This was the crest they had on the shirts they wor in cup finals in 1950s and 1960s.

I think SAF used to wear the same one.

Tangled up in blue.

Up the Vallians' on 13:35 - Mar 13 with 2150 viewsBirchy915

My dad (49thSeason) told me that this used to be our nickname, I really like it tbh.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Up the Vallians' on 04:18 - Mar 14 with 2036 viewsDiddyDave

I can recall that nickname being bandied about around that time too,but none of us had ever heard of the word before and thought it was a mistake (Villains or Valiants?). Maybe it`s an old English word that people used at the turn of the twentieth century when the club got established,but it`s sure got me beat.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024