Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) 22:27 - Oct 16 with 6495 viewsINFIRMARY

Discuss !

Personally !
1. I think he is the most over rated manager in Prem
2. He had partial success last year on D.M's team and now is messing that up
3. The F.A and media are grooming him towards the England Job
4. He talks a good game tactic but never delivers

Poll: F@ck OFF Arry Now

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 22:43 - Oct 16 with 5095 viewsdaveB

very good manager did a great job at Swansea, on little money at Wigan he won a trophy playing very nice football and did well at Everton last season. They've had a bad start but will still finish top 6 again. We should have gone for him when Hughes left
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 22:48 - Oct 16 with 5084 viewsINFIRMARY

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 22:43 - Oct 16 by daveB

very good manager did a great job at Swansea, on little money at Wigan he won a trophy playing very nice football and did well at Everton last season. They've had a bad start but will still finish top 6 again. We should have gone for him when Hughes left

Roberto please get off our message board plez

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 23:13 - Oct 16 with 5054 viewsRANGERS4EVER

I reckon this year will define him. Was always rated at Wigan but I always thought he was average. Yeah he kept scraping them up but he got them into the relegation places at the start. The FA Cup win was fantastic but it was more of an underdog plucky win rather than a tactical. So I thought him taking over Everton will show how average he is. However he performed amazingly and I gave him a lot of credit. Went right up in my ratings. Not a good start this season though, so I will need to see how he does before really rating him

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 23:20 - Oct 16 with 5036 viewsCiderwithRsie

Put it another way: him or Redknapp.

A look at the league table would decide me.
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 11:49 - Oct 17 with 4880 viewsrobith

Nah he's great.

He took DM's squad but got them playing a much better brand of football and pushed them on to new heights.

They've had a horror run of fixtures and injuries this season, think they'll still do well.

I don't know if many other managers could've kept that Wigan team up for so long under the budget constraints he was operating under.

He also turned down the Liverpool job because he felt he wasn't ready for the step up - remarkable self awareness few else in football seem capable of
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 12:35 - Oct 17 with 4854 viewsbosh67

Personally I reckon he's the real deal. We'd be much better with him as the England manager.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 12:39 - Oct 17 with 4842 viewsNorthernr

I think he's fantastic and I'd have him as England manager tomorrow. Wigan would have gone years ago without him, look at them now. Everton were brilliant last year, pushing for Champions League when previously it was all about surviving, top half finish and complaining about a lack of resources (not that Moyes did a bad job, he was great there, but Martinez showed last season there is potential there). This year, extra games, slow start, nothing more.
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 13:56 - Oct 17 with 4764 viewsrsonist

Agree he is very good and certainly light years above most of the usual suspects in this country. Hearing about his positivity and commitment to training makes you want to cry in comparison to Redknapp, and you often wonder what he might achieve with some of our unguided talents like Traore and Fer.

Do think defence is still something of a blind spot for him however - in common with Rodgers and many other new school coaches that believe in a holistic team press he doesn't seem to grasp defence as a unit in itself the way an Allardyce does. That approach pays dividends offensively (and I certainly wouldn't prefer Allardyce to him) but when it comes to the crunch moments there will always be a Mourinho to take cynical advantage.

Not sure about "extra games, slow start, nothing more" to explain this season; they are showing weaknesses very reminiscent of his Wigan side. He could probably have managed the transition from Distin to Stones a little more smoothly (a better stopgap than Alcaraz would have helped - obviously money plays a part too though) but I expect they will be better for it in the long run.
Login to get fewer ads

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:01 - Oct 17 with 4752 viewsrsonist

BTW, not Martinez but this recent extract from Pep Guardiola's book was amazing and again shows how many billion miles away the current QPR setup is from modern football, functionally and psychologically.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11162163/Revealed-How-Pe

“You play at the rhythm you train at. If you train badly, you play badly. If you work like a beast in training, you play the same way. And these guys, they train like beasts.”
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:10 - Oct 17 with 4744 viewsPinnerPaul

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:01 - Oct 17 by rsonist

BTW, not Martinez but this recent extract from Pep Guardiola's book was amazing and again shows how many billion miles away the current QPR setup is from modern football, functionally and psychologically.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11162163/Revealed-How-Pe

“You play at the rhythm you train at. If you train badly, you play badly. If you work like a beast in training, you play the same way. And these guys, they train like beasts.”

So why post it on here then?

90% of the threads at the moment are there for people to moan about our club, so better off posting on there.

This thread is/was a rare oasis for a sensible football discussion
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:12 - Oct 17 with 4741 viewsthemodfather

i thought of him as a decent manager, had done well at the clubs he has worked at...with ltd funds.
everton is / was a big club chasing better days, they rarely spend big .
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:34 - Oct 17 with 4720 viewsWestbourneR

The original poster is bang on. He is absolutely over-rated. Very glad others can see it too.

He didn't do that well at Swansea, other people after him did far better.
He didn't do that well at Wigan. Should have gone down three years in a row, they were bottom three and awful almost of the entirity of those seasons. Even we used to comfortably beat Wigan! They finally did go down in the fourth.
If you want to see what doing well at Wigan looks like - look at the job Steve Bruce did.
He isn't doing well at Everton. Ended up in exactly the same place as they did under Moyes - and it was Moyes solid core that got him there. Moyes built that team and left him a great squad.

If you want to see what a team acutually built by Martinez defends like, look at Wigan under him. Laughable.

Lukaku £28 million. Laughable. The guy has zero technique, woeful first touch. Diego Costa only cost £4 million more!

Wait until Jagielka and Distin etc. are all too old and he starts replacing them with dodgy Paraguayans.

He'll be fired by Everton before the end of next season, mark my words.

People who say 'nah he's a great manager' read too many newspapers and watch MOTD and know very little else.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:41 - Oct 17 with 4717 viewsWestbourneR

'Moyes didn't do a bad job but Martinez showed there was potential'

???

Dear me if I was Moyes that'd kill me.

I take you're aware of how bad Everton consistently were until Moyes turned up and astutely built a team? There was no potential at Everton until Moyes showed up.

He got them into 4th! Martinez will never achieve that I guarantee.

'Look at Wigan now' - yeah, in the Champiionship, where he relegated them to!

You can't say 'Wigan would be nowhere without Martinez' because they were doing far better in the Prem under Steve Bruce. Never in danger of going down, they were finishing about 12th.

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:43 - Oct 17 with 4708 views08olesen

Its all about the players. If you have decent players you will do well. Totenham and us are the only ones who regularly under perform considering our teams IMO

Poll: Who will the other play off

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:51 - Oct 17 with 4691 viewsdaveB

Moyes did a good job at Everton but to slaughter Martinez seems bizarre. He made Swansea what they are putting in that style of play when in league one and creating a philosophy which they have built on.

He did well at Wigan actually winning something and doing well at Everton, to slaughter him on here seems weird to me. If he's rubbish then we are never going to be happy with whoever we end up with
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:53 - Oct 17 with 4688 viewstraininvain

Never delivers? I must've imagined him winning the FA Cup with Wigan.
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 15:22 - Oct 17 with 4660 viewsWestbourneR

They got relegated the year they one the cup.

If that's delivering then you're a very kind judge.

Joe Royle won the cup, is he a good manager?

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 15:56 - Oct 17 with 4636 viewstraininvain

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 15:22 - Oct 17 by WestbourneR

They got relegated the year they one the cup.

If that's delivering then you're a very kind judge.

Joe Royle won the cup, is he a good manager?

I'd happily take relegation this season if we won the FA Cup.

Moyes has never won a trophy, does that make him a sh1t manager? Of course it doesn't because most people with common sense are able to make a judgment based upon more than one factor.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2014 15:59]
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 16:00 - Oct 17 with 4622 viewsPinnerPaul

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 14:43 - Oct 17 by 08olesen

Its all about the players. If you have decent players you will do well. Totenham and us are the only ones who regularly under perform considering our teams IMO

Tend to agree, although short term Everton are under performing this season so far.
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 16:11 - Oct 17 with 4604 viewsWestbourneR

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 15:56 - Oct 17 by traininvain

I'd happily take relegation this season if we won the FA Cup.

Moyes has never won a trophy, does that make him a sh1t manager? Of course it doesn't because most people with common sense are able to make a judgment based upon more than one factor.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2014 15:59]

traininvain you're tying yourself up in nonsensical knots.

I never said winning a trophy made you a good or bad manager - you did, with the FA Cup. So it was you making a judgement on only factor.

Well done for disagreeing with yourself.

I was basing my opinion on Martinez on many more than one factor.

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 16:20 - Oct 17 with 4590 viewstraininvain

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 16:11 - Oct 17 by WestbourneR

traininvain you're tying yourself up in nonsensical knots.

I never said winning a trophy made you a good or bad manager - you did, with the FA Cup. So it was you making a judgement on only factor.

Well done for disagreeing with yourself.

I was basing my opinion on Martinez on many more than one factor.

Where did I say that winning a trophy makes you a good or bad manager?

I simply said that Martinez delivered when he won the FA Cup. Or is that incorrect?

Edit

I think you need to distinguish between 'delivering' and being a 'good manager'.

I don't think it's debatable whether Martinez delivered when we won the FA Cup.

In terms of whether he's a good manager, his teams seem to play nice football but they are usually defensively weak.

Martinez was fortunate last season to inherit a defence at Everton that had been moulded for years by David Moyes. This season the cracks have began to appear in defence and it'll be interesting to see whether he can address those issues.

I would say that the jury is out on whether he is a good manager but it's harsh to say that he's a poor manager.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2014 16:37]
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 17:49 - Oct 17 with 4554 viewsjamois

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 12:39 - Oct 17 by Northernr

I think he's fantastic and I'd have him as England manager tomorrow. Wigan would have gone years ago without him, look at them now. Everton were brilliant last year, pushing for Champions League when previously it was all about surviving, top half finish and complaining about a lack of resources (not that Moyes did a bad job, he was great there, but Martinez showed last season there is potential there). This year, extra games, slow start, nothing more.

I concur

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 19:16 - Oct 17 with 4514 viewsWestbourneR

traininvain I think we're on the same page actually. I don't think he is a poor manager, i think he plays nice pass and move, but I do think he has a critical and fundamental issue with coaching defending.

His teams are always totally porous and will give you soft goals.

As you say, as the drilled defense left by Moyes starts to creak, he is beginning to have problems. I think they'll be big problems soon.

He has signed Robles as back up goalie (terrible) and he signed Alcaraz as a back up centre half, not good enough.

We shall we see...

Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 20:43 - Oct 17 with 4472 viewscoolranger

Will never forget how he managed to smile and explain, live on TV interview and in positive terms, why his Wigan side had just been beaten 9-1 at Spurs.

The guy's got something.
Roberto Martinez (Non QPR) on 21:06 - Jan 13 with 4334 viewsINFIRMARY

His Master Plan Of Bull@hit management continues currently

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024