Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I just want to say 07:06 - Dec 31 with 6919 viewsstAteSwan

My first post on this site. I have been following the Swans quietly here from the states for the last 4 years. The first time I ever watched the club play was 4 years ago. It was sort of an accident. I was looking to find a premier league team to root for, and a Man Utd fan that I know told me that I "Should root for one of the big clubs because they are the only ones who win anything. No one ever roots for the others." Naturally, I took his advice and found one of what he calls "the others." I literally decided to look up what everyone considered the least likely team to remain in the Premier League that year, and root for them to prove a point. Everyone was convinced Swansea was going to be relegated...because the swans didn't have the budget or investment to compete at the highest level.

I used what I am forever sure was an internet stream that was completely illegal, and watched my first ever Swans Game, a home game against Arsenal, and I was hooked. I fell in love with the style of play, and the way that the side never gave up.

Beginning the next year, I watched every game that I could possibly find on whatever bootleg streams were available. I probably at the time couldn't have named a single player for some of the other sides, but I could name every Swan player. Much of that is still true today.

I discovered Planet Swans about a year ago and have been lurking on this site since that time. I wanted to jump in the discussion several times, but I was still learning the difference in the English language between the UK and the USA, and was worried I would figure out a way to massively offend all of you. I showed up now because, even after the disaster at Anfield Monday, I wanted to remind all of you that Swansea has still made incredible progress over the years if you've managed to get someone like me, whose never set foot on British Soil, and has no connections to Wales at all, as a fan.
I just want to say on 17:21 - Dec 31 with 2002 viewsstAteSwan

I just want to say on 14:40 - Dec 31 by WarwickHunt

A long shot but it sounds like you could be close to Osceola - do you know it?

Welcome aboard by the way. Great first post.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 14:51]

I know Osceola very well. Never lived there, but I teach over here, so I hear a lot about the town from fellow educators. Driven through it a bunch on my way to St. Louis.
I just want to say on 17:22 - Dec 31 with 2002 viewsGreatBritton

Welcome StAteswan.

Some of the posters here are madder than a box of bees but driven by a strange, frightening and irrational passion. I hope you stick with us and it's terrific that you CHOOSE us to follow. I've been supporting my team for fifty years and it hasn't often been this much fun. I, of course, had no real choice, except to follow rugby, which would have been a waste of my life.
I just want to say on 17:29 - Dec 31 with 1987 viewsGreatBritton

I just want to say on 07:19 - Dec 31 by stAteSwan

Live in Arkansas...work in Memphis. The Mississippi River is the backdrop of my commute to work daily.

I once spent some time in Cape Gerardeau, Missouri. My, that's a mighty fine river you've got going on there!
I just want to say on 17:32 - Dec 31 with 1983 viewsBloodyhills

Great first post. Welcome to the Swans family.
Like all families we have our dramas and bicker and fight but,
we are one big family.

Happy New Year to all. :-)

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

I just want to say on 17:35 - Dec 31 with 1980 viewsBloodyhills

I just want to say on 14:06 - Dec 31 by VetchitBack

Welcome and quickly forget everything you've heard about the British and good manners.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

I just want to say on 17:35 - Dec 31 with 1980 viewsstAteSwan

I just want to say on 14:06 - Dec 31 by VetchitBack

Welcome and quickly forget everything you've heard about the British and good manners.

Don't worry, I never pretended to believe those rumors anyway. There's a similar rumor about people living in the Southern part of the USA...but that's a lie as well.

Britain is at the top of my list of places to visit though. I'm fascinated by British history, spent a lot of time studying the political system as well. Its just something that everyone needs to see at least once.

The unusual advantage I have is that because of Swansea, I ended up researching Welsh history as much as I did British history in general. Spent some time researching Swansea and some of its history. Even borrowed a couple of Welsh hymns off the internet and presented them to my students one day, just to see their reactions. My guess is most people stateside would have a hard time finding the UK on a map, much less understand the differences between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.
I just want to say on 18:22 - Dec 31 with 1937 viewsGreatBritton

I just want to say on 17:35 - Dec 31 by stAteSwan

Don't worry, I never pretended to believe those rumors anyway. There's a similar rumor about people living in the Southern part of the USA...but that's a lie as well.

Britain is at the top of my list of places to visit though. I'm fascinated by British history, spent a lot of time studying the political system as well. Its just something that everyone needs to see at least once.

The unusual advantage I have is that because of Swansea, I ended up researching Welsh history as much as I did British history in general. Spent some time researching Swansea and some of its history. Even borrowed a couple of Welsh hymns off the internet and presented them to my students one day, just to see their reactions. My guess is most people stateside would have a hard time finding the UK on a map, much less understand the differences between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

When I was i Missouri a local asked me if Wales was in Scotland
I just want to say on 18:47 - Dec 31 with 1911 viewsstAteSwan

I just want to say on 18:22 - Dec 31 by GreatBritton

There are some locals in Missouri who couldn't locate California on a map, so I'm not totally surprised.

I had an American History Teacher back when I was in school that became convinced that our knowledge of geography was terrible. She handed us a map of the US and a map of Europe and told us to label every state and every country correctly. Some of the answers in Europe were interesting. One student had labeled the UK as "That Island Nation I can't think of"
Login to get fewer ads

I just want to say on 18:59 - Dec 31 with 1899 viewsunion_jack

I just want to say on 18:22 - Dec 31 by GreatBritton

When I was in Missouri I was asked whether Wales was in Australia!!

Don't know if that says something about Wales or people from Missouri!?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

I just want to say on 19:38 - Dec 31 with 1870 viewsWarwickHunt

I just want to say on 15:28 - Dec 31 by NeiltheTaylor

Has Osceola got some musical significance or do you just know it?
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 15:29]

My good friend Jimmy Thomas hails from there.

I just want to say on 19:47 - Dec 31 with 1844 viewsLohengrin

I just want to say on 17:35 - Dec 31 by stAteSwan

If you want to locate Wales for your students you could use a couple of the better known Welsh descended Americans as a touchstone: Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Davis and Robert E Lee could be your starting point for the more serious minded, Hank Williams, George Jones and Jerry Lee Lewis for your hipper class or Jack Daniel and Jesse James for your rounders...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

I just want to say on 19:52 - Dec 31 with 1835 viewsdgt73

I just want to say on 19:47 - Dec 31 by Lohengrin

If you want to locate Wales for your students you could use a couple of the better known Welsh descended Americans as a touchstone: Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Davis and Robert E Lee could be your starting point for the more serious minded, Hank Williams, George Jones and Jerry Lee Lewis for your hipper class or Jack Daniel and Jesse James for your rounders...

You have forgotten the most famous welsh/American. Hannibal Lecter.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 19:53]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

I just want to say on 20:23 - Dec 31 with 1791 viewsstAteSwan

I just want to say on 19:38 - Dec 31 by WarwickHunt

My good friend Jimmy Thomas hails from there.

Johnny Cash also grew up about 10 minutes down the road. Osceola was not officially his home town, but they claim him.
I just want to say on 20:24 - Dec 31 with 1790 viewsLohengrin

I just want to say on 20:23 - Dec 31 by stAteSwan

Johnny Cash also grew up about 10 minutes down the road. Osceola was not officially his home town, but they claim him.

Dyess.

I just want to say on 20:47 - Dec 31 with 1768 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I just want to say on 20:24 - Dec 31 by Lohengrin

Dyess.

Hehe do you want a Magnus Magnusson "crrect" for that one?

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

I just want to say on 21:06 - Dec 31 with 1701 viewsLohengrin

I just want to say on 20:47 - Dec 31 by NeiltheTaylor

Hehe do you want a Magnus Magnusson "crrect" for that one?

Not really, I've been through there. It only took the blink of an eye but I've been through.

I just want to say on 21:10 - Dec 31 with 1693 viewsNeiltheTaylor

I just want to say on 21:06 - Dec 31 by Lohengrin

Not really, I've been through there. It only took the blink of an eye but I've been through.

I got two of his nephews (well from the June Carter side) drunk on cans of Directors at North Wales Bluegrass once. That is my Jonny Cash story.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

I just want to say on 21:34 - Dec 31 with 1678 viewsLohengrin

I just want to say on 21:10 - Dec 31 by NeiltheTaylor

I got two of his nephews (well from the June Carter side) drunk on cans of Directors at North Wales Bluegrass once. That is my Jonny Cash story.

The Carter family emigrated to Virginia from the Afan Valley, Neil. They must have known they were just about home.

I just want to say on 10:30 - Jan 1 with 1586 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I just want to say on 19:47 - Dec 31 by Lohengrin

Elvis.Aaron.Presley.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024