Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BSA Acting Chair stands down 14:29 - Jan 7 with 2758 viewsWizaard

Shame it has come to this that personal abuse between fellow fans means that a volunteer feels they can't carry on:

Statement, BSA Acting Chair Fiona Martin, Tuesday 30th December

I should point out in the very first instance, the views here are personal and do not reflect those of BSA.

“When I first joined the BSA Committee in 2008 it was because I wanted to be involved with Blackpool fans, to help out with events, to be part of social group and primarily because I am a Blackpool fan and I enjoyed it.

The last 6 years have given me some fun times, some good laughs and some great friends. And BSA have achieved some fantastic things. I am proud to have been part of that. But 2014 has been horrible on and off the pitch for Blackpool Football Club.

The vast majority of Blackpool fans are good people who want to see their team and their club be successful. But myself, and others, and have been subjected to abuse both directly and indirectly on social media, forums, at football matches and worst of all when we have been out with friends and family in public places. I have lost count of the number of times not only that it has left me upset, but also that I have been told “don’t let them get to you, they’re just bullies, don’t let them win”. Well guess what, they’ve won. I’ve had enough. I didn’t get involved with BSA to get dragged into the political shenanigans of running a football club, nor did I feel like getting abused for a volunteer position I do in my free time. What precisely is the point of something like that giving me sleepless nights, making me ill and ruining my life? There isn’t one and that is why I have resigned from the BSA committee over the Christmas period.

BFC is a soap opera. And not even a very good one. Every single Blackpool fan in the world is hurting. Karl Oyston is responsible for that. No one else. (Although if some of our fanbase are to be believed it is also the fault of a group of hard working volunteers). For me the reprehensible text messages were the final straw. How much more do our loyal fans need to go through? The club has had shame brought up on it and the fan base deserves a better outlook and a sense of pride. And all I wanted to do was enjoy my Christmas break with my family and not have to deal with another fall out from another disaster. That was the point at which I realised I was of no more use to BSA members, my heart for the job has been taken away — by the whole sorry mess and by the minority of our fanbase.

That minority of the fanbase, of course, relates to those think that abuse and threats are the way to get things done.

But that doesn’t mean that only a minority of the fanbase share the same view. As a general set of fans we are all hurting and we can all see that something has to give. Everyone except Karl Oyston can see that. Without fundamental lasting changes in the whole structure and outlook of Blackpool Football Club our period in the sun is over. Football has changed. The world has changed. But that doesn’t mean that Blackpool fans, including myself, will not continue to support our team. Most Blackpool fans are a fantastic bunch. BSA members are superb. And whether we are at Chelsea or Crawley they will want to go and support their team. And they should be allowed to do that without fear of recrimination, abuse or the state of the atmosphere. The atmosphere, especially at away games, has become toxic. I, and many others, go to away games to see my friends, have a couple of drinks and enjoy the day. Then it is about going home and forgetting about it.

I’m not going to sit here and tell other fans what to do. Everyone makes their own choices about what they believe is the right thing to do. For me that is focusing on what happens on the pitch and my friends. I don’t want to be involved in anything political. If others do that is up to them. But what I would urge Blackpool fans to do is stick together and back the team. There is more that unites us than divides us and we’re all there for the same thing.

The future may not exactly be bright but for as long as there is Blackpool Football Club, then there will be Blackpool fans. So the future will be Tangerine.”

Fiona Martin
December 2014

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 14:41 - Jan 7 with 2274 viewsPNENIL

Martin Samuel does a good piece in the Mail today about the mob mentality relating to the Ched Evans case. It could also apply to this kind of abuse.
I have great sympathy with Fiona and any other BSA members who have been abused. Its just ridiculous and as fans we should be all sticking together not dividing.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 14:44 - Jan 7 with 2267 viewsHertsseasider

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 14:41 - Jan 7 by PNENIL

Martin Samuel does a good piece in the Mail today about the mob mentality relating to the Ched Evans case. It could also apply to this kind of abuse.
I have great sympathy with Fiona and any other BSA members who have been abused. Its just ridiculous and as fans we should be all sticking together not dividing.

Knowing Fiona quite well, I can imagine this was a very tough decision.

If you read this, a Sauv Blanc on me next time

Herts

"Schools Out London"

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 15:04 - Jan 7 with 2243 viewsRusty2Stands

Yes it's a real shame when fellow fans have to suffer abuse.
I'm no fan of BSA's relationship with KO, but I'm not a member and therefore have no right to dictate to them what they do. I do wish they would sever all ties with KO, but that isn't my decision.
And if it's been personal abuse that Fiona has suffered then that's bang out of order.
Credit to her as in the statement she doesn't mince her words and gives it to the bowl headed one with both barrels.
As fans we should maybe at times take a step back and remember who has caused this unholy mess, and therefore who the real enemy is.
It isn't people like Fiona.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 15:17 - Jan 7 with 2226 viewsMephistopheles

She was never equipped to deal with has become such a poisoned position and I don't know of anyone (ironically other than a KO type) that is. Her perceived viewpoints on KO/how the club was run never helped of course but nothing justifies what she was subject to. I'm also glad to read she has essentially clarified her position on where she feels fault lies with this sorry mess.

I feel terrible for her that she has suffered so much abuse and hope it can recede enough for her to get on with her life in peace.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 15:26 - Jan 7 with 2214 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 15:17 - Jan 7 by Mephistopheles

She was never equipped to deal with has become such a poisoned position and I don't know of anyone (ironically other than a KO type) that is. Her perceived viewpoints on KO/how the club was run never helped of course but nothing justifies what she was subject to. I'm also glad to read she has essentially clarified her position on where she feels fault lies with this sorry mess.

I feel terrible for her that she has suffered so much abuse and hope it can recede enough for her to get on with her life in peace.

I love the club as much as anyone does but I can't understand how people get so angry that they start sending abusive texts - to someone who just puts in her own unpaid time to help others get more enjoyment out of their love for the club. It's the sort of thing most people have grown out of by the time they're about twelve.

She's well out of it.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 15:42 - Jan 7 with 2193 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 15:17 - Jan 7 by Mephistopheles

She had no need to clarify her position on anything. Unless you're a BSA member (which I am not), her views and position on where she feels fault lies has nothing to do with you (or me).
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 16:00 - Jan 7 with 2177 viewsbillybigbananas

She is indeed well out of it, and whoever takes over will also be shot at.
KO has positioned BSA as representing all fans and they have historically accepted that position.
Sending letters about Ince, to the players and attending SISA meetings uninvited with KO just reinforces that BSA are involved in the politics, there’s no getting out of that.
Can understand and sympathise with Fiona’s position but it was never going to be like six years ago.
BFC are a totally different proposition now, relationships worsening week on week.
BSA need a total rethink of what they are about.
If they conclude ‘no change’ then the next BSA chair has a very unenviable position.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 16:09 - Jan 7 with 2159 viewsMephistopheles

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 15:42 - Jan 7 by Hannibal_de_Seaside

She had no need to clarify her position on anything. Unless you're a BSA member (which I am not), her views and position on where she feels fault lies has nothing to do with you (or me).

Not for my benefit H_d_S but in the hope that it stops the abuse she has suffered.

Though I quite agree there should be no need for her to.
Login to get fewer ads

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 16:29 - Jan 7 with 2143 viewsWizaard

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 16:09 - Jan 7 by Mephistopheles

Not for my benefit H_d_S but in the hope that it stops the abuse she has suffered.

Though I quite agree there should be no need for her to.

While there are people chanting 'F**k the BSA' at matches, it would seem there is a need to clarify.

As she says, it completely misses the point. BSA are not the problem at the heart of the club. The current mess is all down to one accountable person and targeting elsewhere simply deflects from that. Is that what the antagonists want?
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 16:38 - Jan 7 with 2127 viewsBedfordseasider

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 16:29 - Jan 7 by Wizaard

While there are people chanting 'F**k the BSA' at matches, it would seem there is a need to clarify.

As she says, it completely misses the point. BSA are not the problem at the heart of the club. The current mess is all down to one accountable person and targeting elsewhere simply deflects from that. Is that what the antagonists want?

Whilst I do think that BSA should have come out louder & clearer against KO & I have criticised both Glenn & more recently Fiona (for what I saw as a rather weak performance to the press the other week) There is no place or need for personal abuse whether it be by Text FB twitter & especially not whilst out in public with friends & family . BSA surely have to distance themselves from KO & it seems that they have made a statement on their website which is quite strong in condemnation of him & his policies.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 18:37 - Jan 7 with 2039 viewsTejas

BSA appear to be a casualty of war.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 18:44 - Jan 7 with 2025 viewsTang67

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 18:37 - Jan 7 by Tejas

BSA appear to be a casualty of war.

Is this what Karl referred to collateral damage in his texts?

Hope she gets some peace and as another poster has said she is better out of it -BFC is becoming poisonous

Poster formerly known as bisphamtang

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 19:36 - Jan 7 with 1960 viewsribble

I feel for Fiona. No-one should be subject to that sort of abuse whether in public or on social media, no matter the politics of it all. I hope some of the abusers read what she's said and feel, at the very least, a tinge of remorse. I somehow doubt it though.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 20:17 - Jan 7 with 1916 viewsRusty2Stands

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 19:36 - Jan 7 by ribble

I feel for Fiona. No-one should be subject to that sort of abuse whether in public or on social media, no matter the politics of it all. I hope some of the abusers read what she's said and feel, at the very least, a tinge of remorse. I somehow doubt it though.

I do feel that BSA as an organisation have left themselves open to some criticism for being too cosy with KO. I just don't think they are doing themselves any favours with that.
But as I said above, that's their decision and nothing to do with non members.
I agree with one comment I heard that they shouldn't really be called 'the voice of the fans' as they are really just a voice for their members.
I would suggest that BST are more the real voice of the fans, as their opposition to the Oystons is much more in line with probably what the vast majority of fans think.
But if Fiona or anybody has suffered personal abuse that's well below the belt.
It's one thing criticising an organisation, but personal abuse is taking it way too far.
We're all Blackpool fans at the end of the day, and I'm sure we all want what is best for the club.
Some people would do well to remember we are all on the same side and remember who the real enemy is.
Some may argue it's a bit dramatic labelling the Oystons as the enemy. But I honestly believe they are. They are an enemy of every single Blackpool fan.
It's now gone way past the tipping point where the relationship between them and the fans is totally irreparable.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 08:04 - Jan 8 with 1761 viewsCurryman

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 20:17 - Jan 7 by Rusty2Stands

I do feel that BSA as an organisation have left themselves open to some criticism for being too cosy with KO. I just don't think they are doing themselves any favours with that.
I agree with one comment I heard that they shouldn't really be called 'the voice of the fans' as they are really just a voice for their members.
I would suggest that BST are more the real voice of the fans, as their opposition to the Oystons is much more in line with probably what the vast majority of fans think.
It's one thing criticising an organisation, but personal abuse is taking it way too far.
We're all Blackpool fans at the end of the day, and I'm sure we all want what is best for the club.
Some people would do well to remember we are all on the same side and remember who the real enemy is.
Some may argue it's a bit dramatic labelling the Oystons as the enemy. But I honestly believe they are. They are an enemy of every single Blackpool fan.
It's now gone way past the tipping point where the relationship between them and the fans is totally irreparable.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Fiona for a number of years and have always found her to be a sincere young woman. That said, I feel she may not have realised the poisoned chalice she had taken on when acting as Chairman during Glenn's absence from the post.

I was not at Sheffield, but heard about it as well as being told about it by those who attended and at the time condemned those who decided to deride fellow Blackpool fans. She is most certainly a fan of many years.

I truly feel sorry that she has felt the need to step down from a position she volunteered to do during a period of unprecedented disintegration of trust and communication between the fans and the owners.

My opinion is the statement about' textgate', now seen, was probably not promoted as it should have been and should have had more of an airing in the public domain, this may have helped her ride the storm, and for this miscalculation it is a sad indictment that one young lady is made a scapegoat for all others who should have known better.

Good luck Fiona, put this down to experience, albeit a bad one, and bounce back.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2015 8:07]

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 08:44 - Jan 8 with 1747 viewsWizaard

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 20:17 - Jan 7 by Rusty2Stands

Rusty

To be fair to BSA, they've never claimed to be 'the voice of the fans'.

Their phrase is 'a voice of the fans'. Suble but distinct difference.
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 08:52 - Jan 8 with 1740 viewsPlumbs

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 08:44 - Jan 8 by Wizaard

Rusty

To be fair to BSA, they've never claimed to be 'the voice of the fans'.

Their phrase is 'a voice of the fans'. Suble but distinct difference.

Wizz:
With hindsight it might have been better to have chosen something that was less confusing,but there is a general problem all over football with official groups where an inverted snobbery exists. At present that extends to excluding MK Dons fans from joining the national fans groups,where their fans are derided and abused by people who havent met them.
Football is tribal and subjective plus now Blackpool fans are being taken to court with a chance of having their lives ruined,so with respect the semantics of a turn of phrase arent really that important.

Very sad to hear about FM and I wonder who'll be brave/daft enough to take over? This situation gives BSA a chance now to say '#@ck it' and go independent.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 10:22 - Jan 8 with 1732 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 08:52 - Jan 8 by Plumbs

Wizz:
With hindsight it might have been better to have chosen something that was less confusing,but there is a general problem all over football with official groups where an inverted snobbery exists. At present that extends to excluding MK Dons fans from joining the national fans groups,where their fans are derided and abused by people who havent met them.
Football is tribal and subjective plus now Blackpool fans are being taken to court with a chance of having their lives ruined,so with respect the semantics of a turn of phrase arent really that important.

Very sad to hear about FM and I wonder who'll be brave/daft enough to take over? This situation gives BSA a chance now to say '#@ck it' and go independent.

Very sad - really?

Perhaps now you'll stop writing snide sexual innuendo about her then?

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 12:02 - Jan 8 with 1687 viewsterminallytangerine

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 16:29 - Jan 7 by Wizaard

Apologies Wizard.

I have inadvertently pressed the peanut button and it is beyond my limited technological wizardry to undo the action.

Can there really be people out there who still condone the vile intimidation of fellow supporters that happened at Sheffield, or is it really just a peanut craving?
BSA Acting Chair stands down on 12:24 - Jan 8 with 1664 viewsPlumbs

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 10:22 - Jan 8 by basilrobbiereborn

Very sad - really?

Perhaps now you'll stop writing snide sexual innuendo about her then?

Snide innuendo about her? I cant recall anything about her but then one or two of her Tangerine brethren might have been on the receiving end.
Fuuny how some can hand it out but dont like it when they get it back by the bucketful,but thats the price you pay for hypocrisy and going to to a crap uni* (chuckle)

That apart you havent helped BSAs cause with your efforts to divide the fanbase by ridiculing those who spoke out against the O's previously.Many times you've slaughtered people with ridicule and disdain when it wasnt called for,where theres plenty of snide innuendo from your direction.

I take it you're breaking with tradition to get to Watford this season? Might see you down there if you remember the way.

*crap at UC and rowing
[Post edited 8 Jan 2015 12:25]

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 17:17 - Jan 8 with 1615 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 12:24 - Jan 8 by Plumbs

Snide innuendo about her? I cant recall anything about her but then one or two of her Tangerine brethren might have been on the receiving end.
Fuuny how some can hand it out but dont like it when they get it back by the bucketful,but thats the price you pay for hypocrisy and going to to a crap uni* (chuckle)

That apart you havent helped BSAs cause with your efforts to divide the fanbase by ridiculing those who spoke out against the O's previously.Many times you've slaughtered people with ridicule and disdain when it wasnt called for,where theres plenty of snide innuendo from your direction.

I take it you're breaking with tradition to get to Watford this season? Might see you down there if you remember the way.

*crap at UC and rowing
[Post edited 8 Jan 2015 12:25]

Don't change the subject. You've been writing tasteless sexual innuendo about me and her for as long as you've known we were friends. Fortunately our partners both know about you and your social challenges and let it slide.

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 17:56 - Jan 8 with 1582 viewsstraightatthewall

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 17:17 - Jan 8 by basilrobbiereborn

Don't change the subject. You've been writing tasteless sexual innuendo about me and her for as long as you've known we were friends. Fortunately our partners both know about you and your social challenges and let it slide.

Is this the right time to say 'methinks the Icon doth protest too much....' ?

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 19:14 - Jan 8 with 1547 viewsPlumbs

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 17:17 - Jan 8 by basilrobbiereborn

I've been taking the mickey out of you only because of the silly way you rise to it-nothing more and nothing less. The other problem your have is you think the likes of 'nameless' are me and you overreact accordingly.

You big daft gay bear.

*Ive already contacted the lady in question and wished her well. We meet occasionally at Carleton swingers events in the Castle Gardens. The accusations that we met other swingers recently in South Shore is groundless. It was just friends enjoying themselves with a camcorder and a feather boa. (smiles)

*taps keepnet once again
[Post edited 8 Jan 2015 19:16]

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 19:21 - Jan 8 with 1537 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 19:14 - Jan 8 by Plumbs

I've been taking the mickey out of you only because of the silly way you rise to it-nothing more and nothing less. The other problem your have is you think the likes of 'nameless' are me and you overreact accordingly.

You big daft gay bear.

*Ive already contacted the lady in question and wished her well. We meet occasionally at Carleton swingers events in the Castle Gardens. The accusations that we met other swingers recently in South Shore is groundless. It was just friends enjoying themselves with a camcorder and a feather boa. (smiles)

*taps keepnet once again
[Post edited 8 Jan 2015 19:16]

Perhaps I will take this into PM.

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 19:32 - Jan 8 with 1522 viewsPlumbs

BSA Acting Chair stands down on 19:21 - Jan 8 by basilrobbiereborn

Perhaps I will take this into PM.

Don't bother - think we're coming to POC on Saturday and prob Watford too.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024