Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ron Phillips 21:16 - Sep 9 with 6704 viewsrealmdarkable

With so many old QPR players and staff passing away or just drifitng away, has anyone any idea how Ron phillips is ?The last heard he is running his own theatre in Barons Court
Realmdarkable
Ron Phillips on 22:10 - Sep 9 with 5772 viewszicoshoops

Last I heard he still is.
He done loads of good work when he was with us, except..............
The absolute Cad/Bounder was responsible for removing the Apostrophe, because.....
Queens looked better then Queen's on the front cover of the Programme. (his words)

An absolute Bastard disgrace.
I demand the correct spelling of my Club is reinstated forthwith.....if not sooner.

We are Queen's Park Rangers.
We are not Queens Park Rangers.

Ron Phillips?
Nah....
He'll always be Ron Phillip's .

What's going on?

We should be told.

Sort it out.
Ron Phillips (Ex-QPR Secretary) on 11:17 - Sep 10 with 5532 viewsRonPhillips

Well, to be fair, it was our printers who removed the apostrophe because the word "QUEEN'S" could not be inserted clearly on our Little Men chequered covers.
I merely went along with it, not knowing that 50 years later, the matter would be raised in the Supreme Court and would be the subject of emotional debate in PMQ.

I sympathise with everyone's agony but you realise you have a problem now? The club has been "QUEENS" Park Ranger for all those decades. If you try to change it back to "QUEEN'S", an avalanche of more recently born supporters will raise merry hell fighting the change.

My motto when at Rangers was: "You can please all of the people some of the time; you can please some of the people all of the time; but you can't please all of the people all of the time" (with thanks to Abraham Lincoln).

Great to see the club is preparing for its next journey towards the summit of the Football League!

Ron Phillips
Ron Phillips on 11:44 - Sep 10 with 5490 viewsqprxtc

I miss those old programme editorials Ron used to write. About as far away as you can get from the insipid PR bilge we have now.

If not quoting various Military leaders or playwrights, Ron was taking on the national papers over their bloodthirsty reports of various hooligan outrages.

Even the BBC and Play For Today didn’t get away with it. They got a good old blast of the Ron Phillips ire. You might not always agree with him but at least it was a good read.

The programme back then was as entertaining and colourful as the team. Great design, photos that were actually worth looking at and a nutty letters page.

Forget 1987. Just have a butchers at some 60’s and 70’s programme and have a trip down memory lane.
Ron Phillips on 11:44 - Sep 10 with 5487 viewszicoshoops

I hope you're keeping well Ron.

Glad to hear you 'fess up.
The younger fans are fore square behind us in our quest for justice.
In the words of that old Negro spiritual......'We Shall Overcome'

I shall forward your support for the return of the Apostrophe to.........

'Alf' Ramsey
TF
Sir Les

We shall right this dreadful wrong.
Together........we shall be victorious.

What's going on?

We should be told

Sort it out.......Ron.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2015 11:48]
Ron Phillips on 13:05 - Sep 10 with 5422 viewsLancashirehoop

I rest my case

Just to reiterate

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean we're not all against you.

Ron Phillips on 13:20 - Sep 10 with 5389 viewsStanisgod

Ron Phillips on 11:44 - Sep 10 by qprxtc

I miss those old programme editorials Ron used to write. About as far away as you can get from the insipid PR bilge we have now.

If not quoting various Military leaders or playwrights, Ron was taking on the national papers over their bloodthirsty reports of various hooligan outrages.

Even the BBC and Play For Today didn’t get away with it. They got a good old blast of the Ron Phillips ire. You might not always agree with him but at least it was a good read.

The programme back then was as entertaining and colourful as the team. Great design, photos that were actually worth looking at and a nutty letters page.

Forget 1987. Just have a butchers at some 60’s and 70’s programme and have a trip down memory lane.

Ahh , Michael Wale, Bush Telegraph, the phantom playing card bloke, Football League Review, the tea bar in the corner of the loft, Percy Daltons, half time scores around the edge of the pitch..............and no f@cking premier league !!!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ron Phillips on 14:10 - Sep 10 with 5319 viewsqprxtc

Derek Buxton, Tony Pullein, John Brough, Standing on terraces having a pint, not being hassled by stewards for standing on a bit of paint on the gangway, stewards who were QPR fans, climbing the floodlight pylon to get a better view and not having any danger of the game being called off because of it, kick off at 3.15 to give you supping up time in the pub. Fulham bringing sod all support to Loftus Road (some things don’t change).
Ron Phillips on 14:20 - Sep 10 with 5290 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 13:05 - Sep 10 by Lancashirehoop

I rest my case

Just to reiterate

On the other hand, a Devil's Advocate would quote: Earls Court, Barons Court, Kingsway, Queensway, etc., all of which possessed apostrophes in the past but, as the years passed by, a simpler form was adopted.

Why not run a poll to find out what Rangers supporters think? Although I suppose the present Board would not really be interested in making changes.
Login to get fewer ads

Ron Phillips on 16:33 - Sep 10 with 5193 viewsJAPRANGERS

There's only 1 Ron Philips, 1 Ron Philips.........
Ron Phillips on 17:37 - Sep 10 with 5160 viewsbobby

Great to hear from Ron Phillip's!

Splendid chap..

I was a programme seller and office boy in Ron's reign after leaving Clement Danes in 1970.. I used to get the half time scores from the hut and run them up to the bloke who read them out.. went to all the away games in the first season in the old First Division..

Jim Gregory, Rodney with the flash motors and birds, the Morgan twins, film stars sitting in Ellerslie Road.. still got the scrapbooks and autographs.. them were the days..

http://twitter.com/#/bobbyosborne1

Ron Phillips on 18:01 - Sep 10 with 5132 viewsterryb

Now we're talking.

The Ron Phillips programes were the best footballing productions to be read. We went from the worst in the league (by a mile) to THE BEST (by a country mile)!

I remember all the names that have been mentioned in this thread with a smile on my face, but my favourite columns were entitalled "A funny thing happened on my way to The Bush" ( or similar). I remember being in stitches reading some of those.
Ron Phillips on 18:19 - Sep 10 with 5094 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 17:37 - Sep 10 by bobby

Great to hear from Ron Phillip's!

Splendid chap..

I was a programme seller and office boy in Ron's reign after leaving Clement Danes in 1970.. I used to get the half time scores from the hut and run them up to the bloke who read them out.. went to all the away games in the first season in the old First Division..

Jim Gregory, Rodney with the flash motors and birds, the Morgan twins, film stars sitting in Ellerslie Road.. still got the scrapbooks and autographs.. them were the days..

Looks as if I'm doomed to be known henceforth as Ron Phillip's.

Oh, well, I suppose it's a fair punishment.
Ron Phillips on 18:30 - Sep 10 with 5074 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

In comparison to other sins committed against the club in the last 20 years this one seems pretty minor.

Good to see the man himself give his reasons.
Ron Phillips on 19:05 - Sep 10 with 5030 viewsLondon_Pride

Ron,

You were the voice of QPR and symbolised everything that made Rangers my club back in the early 1970's. For that, thank you.

The Club should give you the apostrophe as a recognition of your service. You are hereby renamed as Ron Phillip's
Ron Phillips on 19:49 - Sep 10 with 4994 viewsRoller

Ron Phillips on 14:20 - Sep 10 by RonPhillips

On the other hand, a Devil's Advocate would quote: Earls Court, Barons Court, Kingsway, Queensway, etc., all of which possessed apostrophes in the past but, as the years passed by, a simpler form was adopted.

Why not run a poll to find out what Rangers supporters think? Although I suppose the present Board would not really be interested in making changes.

They may not be opposed to it. In the recent on-line survey about a potential new crest the options for the clubs' name on the crest included both Queen's Park Rangers and Queen's Park Rangers F.C.

I have to admit that I went for an option without the apostrophe just as so much time has gone since it disappeared (sorry Terry).
Ron Phillips on 19:49 - Sep 10 with 4994 viewsted_hendrix

Ron Phillips on 13:20 - Sep 10 by Stanisgod

Ahh , Michael Wale, Bush Telegraph, the phantom playing card bloke, Football League Review, the tea bar in the corner of the loft, Percy Daltons, half time scores around the edge of the pitch..............and no f@cking premier league !!!

I remember that tea hut in the corner of the loft.

Good job there wasn't two of them.

I remember them tea hut's in the corner of the loft.

or

I remember them tea huts in the corner of the loft.

'

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ron Phillips on 20:04 - Sep 10 with 4967 viewsizlingtonhoop

The bloke who runs this forum - the guy who gets up arrows for logging on - has left me wondering this very day what a "footballer's properly" is...

Edit: It's the sycophancy I'm jibing not the fella who does sterling work keeping this site up and running. Although I am having a dig at his typo ('typo' to give the benefit of any doubt).
[Post edited 10 Sep 2015 20:15]
Ron Phillips on 20:23 - Sep 10 with 4924 viewsQPR442

Ron Phillips on 14:20 - Sep 10 by RonPhillips

Ron are you still Artistic Director At Barons Court Theatre?
Ron Phillips on 22:57 - Sep 10 with 4819 viewszicoshoops

Ron, Ron, Ron, Ron, Ron..........

A Poll about the Apostrophe?
How can you even suggest such a thing?
There can be no such Poll......

We are Queen's Park Rangers
We are not Queens Park Rangers..........never have been........never will be.

In the late 19th Century, where Queen's Park is now, was the site of the first Royal Agricultural Show.
It was much bigger than the current Queen's Park.
Queen Victoria turned up and opened the show.
Alas, the soil there is London Clay, so the site got waterlogged, so the following year the show was moved to Park Royal.
Loads of houses were built on the site, except for a small area that is today......Queen's Park.

We take our name from Queen's Park.....
Which was named for Queen Victoria.........one Queen.
Therefore.........we can only be.......Queen's Park Rangers.

P.S.
I've gotta be honest Ron, I always had you down as, Ron Phillip's ........'one of us.'
But after this Poll malarky.....
I've got you down as, Ron Phillip's...........'someone to keep a very close eye on.'

Ron.

What's going on?

We should be told.

Sort it out.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2015 23:00]
Ron Phillips on 05:59 - Sep 11 with 4710 viewsmacclesfieldman

Hi Ron, I'm happy to hear you're still doing well. I will forever be grateful to you. In 1976 when I purchased my 1st Season Ticket you were so impressed that a 16 year old Manchester boy had chosen QPR as his team that you invited me to sit in the Directors Box for the opening home game v Everton.
You also sent me lots of photos of the players, these still hand proudly in my home in France. This Saturday I will be at Rangers, my 912th game despite living in Belgium and France for the past 12 years.
Thank you Ron for the part you played in my love affair. Keep well.
Ken Hampson

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

Ron Phillips on 07:45 - Sep 11 with 4663 viewsbarabajagal

A little known fact is the apostrophe doesn't denote ownership by the Queen, or someone called Queen. It was actually used to represent missing letters. Back in the 1920s, we were actually called Queenies Park Rangers to reflect the gay abandonment of the time. As I understand, Ron Philips removed the apostrophe post war to reflect a toughening up in London at those times.
Ron Phillips on 08:04 - Sep 11 with 4645 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 20:23 - Sep 10 by QPR442

Ron are you still Artistic Director At Barons Court Theatre?

Oh, yes.
Ron Phillips on 08:21 - Sep 11 with 4624 viewsRonPhillips

Ron Phillips on 07:45 - Sep 11 by barabajagal

A little known fact is the apostrophe doesn't denote ownership by the Queen, or someone called Queen. It was actually used to represent missing letters. Back in the 1920s, we were actually called Queenies Park Rangers to reflect the gay abandonment of the time. As I understand, Ron Philips removed the apostrophe post war to reflect a toughening up in London at those times.

No, I didn't!

But it's a fascinating fact, nevertheless (if true). Don't publicise this one, for heaven's sake, or it will provide dangerous ammunition for visiting clubs.

I'm staggered that so many people are still interested in this subject - after all, we're talking about the events of almost exactly 50 years ago. So many of those who shared the Golden Years with us are no longer here, alas. I can only imagine that a response like this in just 24 hours indicates that the tradition is being handed on, with fathers instructing sons: "Watch out for that Ron Phillip's - he's not to be trusted".

Here's something for everyone to consider: I am fanatically pedantic about the usage of apostrophes and spend far too much of my time pointing out errors in this connection. If I were walking down a street and I saw a shop with a notice outside saying "Apple's - Pairs' - Tomato'e's" (as one does) I would march into the shop; buy a grapefruit; and, while paying for it, point out to the shopkeeper that a catastrophe was taking place on the pavement. Followed by a hasty exit to avoid the grapefruit being thrown at me.

Anyway, thanks to all these Rangers fans for their kind remarks. I do realise that I don't deserve them. It's just that I am linked to your memories of those wonderful Golden Years.
Ron Phillips on 08:50 - Sep 11 with 4578 viewszicoshoops

Ron Phillips on 05:59 - Sep 11 by macclesfieldman

Hi Ron, I'm happy to hear you're still doing well. I will forever be grateful to you. In 1976 when I purchased my 1st Season Ticket you were so impressed that a 16 year old Manchester boy had chosen QPR as his team that you invited me to sit in the Directors Box for the opening home game v Everton.
You also sent me lots of photos of the players, these still hand proudly in my home in France. This Saturday I will be at Rangers, my 912th game despite living in Belgium and France for the past 12 years.
Thank you Ron for the part you played in my love affair. Keep well.
Ken Hampson

Great story.
Ron Phillips on 09:02 - Sep 11 with 4564 viewszicoshoops

Ron Phillips on 08:21 - Sep 11 by RonPhillips

No, I didn't!

But it's a fascinating fact, nevertheless (if true). Don't publicise this one, for heaven's sake, or it will provide dangerous ammunition for visiting clubs.

I'm staggered that so many people are still interested in this subject - after all, we're talking about the events of almost exactly 50 years ago. So many of those who shared the Golden Years with us are no longer here, alas. I can only imagine that a response like this in just 24 hours indicates that the tradition is being handed on, with fathers instructing sons: "Watch out for that Ron Phillip's - he's not to be trusted".

Here's something for everyone to consider: I am fanatically pedantic about the usage of apostrophes and spend far too much of my time pointing out errors in this connection. If I were walking down a street and I saw a shop with a notice outside saying "Apple's - Pairs' - Tomato'e's" (as one does) I would march into the shop; buy a grapefruit; and, while paying for it, point out to the shopkeeper that a catastrophe was taking place on the pavement. Followed by a hasty exit to avoid the grapefruit being thrown at me.

Anyway, thanks to all these Rangers fans for their kind remarks. I do realise that I don't deserve them. It's just that I am linked to your memories of those wonderful Golden Years.

It's been good hearing from you, and yes, it's been nearly 50 years.
Thanks for joining in with the banter.
I promise I won't mention the Apostrophe again.......er.

Just one last thing Ron.
You wouldn't happen to have the name and the address of the Printing company per chance?
Only I was thinking of organising a demonstration outside their premises.
Nothing major, just a few hundred of us with, Klaxons, Flares, Pepper Spray, Banners, that sort of thing.

Let's get moving on this Ron.

What's going on?

We should be told.

Sort it out.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024