Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 up top 21:05 - Dec 3 with 4040 viewstaff999555

Why on earth doesn't Monk try and get us out of this dreadful slump by trying something new. Give Baf and Eder a go up top together in a conventional 4-4-2.

I know they are both a similar style of player but they both possess a great aerial threat and if our wingers could get some decent quality into the box I reckon we could get some joy.

Certainly can't be any worse than we are doing currently?

Just a thought.
2 up top on 15:19 - Dec 4 with 912 viewsicecoldjack

2 up top on 12:10 - Dec 4 by jasper_T

He tried a 4-4-2 against Villareal with Gylfi on the right wing and it was an abject disaster.

yip, probably one of the best hammerings we have ever took t the Liberty ,only 0-3 but could have been 6! totally over run.

This was when it was stated later by Gomis when having his strop that he was told he would be playing games with Bony when signing for us. I always wondered about that whole situation, was Bafa bought to replace Wilf? was Bafa bought to play with Wilf? i'm certain we didn't buy him to sit him on the bench earning 60k a week, and bafa said as much in his press stories so thats out.

If he was bought to paly with Bony, it was for sure abandoned after the Villareal game ! i can't see Monk ever going back to it, it leaves us far too open
2 up top on 15:20 - Dec 4 with 912 viewsWarwickHunt

2 up top on 14:08 - Dec 4 by LeonisGod

That won't have taken long.

GM - "I'm shit, you're shit. Let's stop being so shit!"
Team - "Er, yes boss"

We're really not far off. Just getting heads right and being a bit more relaxed and positive when we're on the front foot, and we'll be fine.

You missed the last line.

GM - "Now - work HARDER!"
2 up top on 15:34 - Dec 4 with 898 viewsjack_the_lad

2 up top on 10:41 - Dec 4 by Whiterockin

0-0 draw written all over it. Fist game for Leicester not to score, end of Vardy's run and Monk holds on to his job.

I'd take 0-0 at the moment, I've got a nasty feeling about this one.
2 up top on 15:52 - Dec 4 with 882 viewsjack247

2 up top on 15:04 - Dec 4 by karnataka

Aye, that works for me too. Wasn't convinced when a few started shouting for Ayew up front but of the 3 options we have in that position, he's the only one who has shown he can score at the moment, so why not?

My concern with that is he gets his goals by ghosting into positions unmarked. None of our other wingers can do that, so if he gets more tightly marked (as a lone striker will), we have no one to replace the threat from Ayews position.
2 up top on 16:22 - Dec 4 with 865 viewsA_Fans_Dad

2 up top on 15:52 - Dec 4 by jack247

My concern with that is he gets his goals by ghosting into positions unmarked. None of our other wingers can do that, so if he gets more tightly marked (as a lone striker will), we have no one to replace the threat from Ayews position.

Gylfi.
2 up top on 17:00 - Dec 4 with 848 viewsjack247

2 up top on 16:22 - Dec 4 by A_Fans_Dad

Gylfi.

1. He doesn't play Ayews position.
2. When did he last score from open play?
2 up top on 17:31 - Dec 4 with 832 viewsA_Fans_Dad

2 up top on 17:00 - Dec 4 by jack247

1. He doesn't play Ayews position.
2. When did he last score from open play?

He used to play Off of Bony and he used to score, so he can do it.
You can ask the same question of all the Swans previous scorers, when did any of them last score in open play?
Cork
Dyer
Ki
Montero
Routledge
Shelvey
Sygi
all scored last year.
2 up top on 17:38 - Dec 4 with 829 viewsjasper_T

2 up top on 15:19 - Dec 4 by icecoldjack

yip, probably one of the best hammerings we have ever took t the Liberty ,only 0-3 but could have been 6! totally over run.

This was when it was stated later by Gomis when having his strop that he was told he would be playing games with Bony when signing for us. I always wondered about that whole situation, was Bafa bought to replace Wilf? was Bafa bought to play with Wilf? i'm certain we didn't buy him to sit him on the bench earning 60k a week, and bafa said as much in his press stories so thats out.

If he was bought to paly with Bony, it was for sure abandoned after the Villareal game ! i can't see Monk ever going back to it, it leaves us far too open

I think it was a combination of how bad that game was, and how difficult our opening game was supposed to be that made him switch back to the lone striker.

Then we beat United and had a great start so trying the 4-4-2 again wasn't an option.
Login to get fewer ads

2 up top on 18:08 - Dec 4 with 811 viewsjack247

2 up top on 17:31 - Dec 4 by A_Fans_Dad

He used to play Off of Bony and he used to score, so he can do it.
You can ask the same question of all the Swans previous scorers, when did any of them last score in open play?
Cork
Dyer
Ki
Montero
Routledge
Shelvey
Sygi
all scored last year.

If we are counting last season, Gomis is perfectly capable of scoring with his head.

The fact that none of our midfield have scored bar Siggy from set pieces and Ayew from the wing, makes even less logical to take Ayew away from the position he scores goals from. Just like Lampard and Gerrard were never played up front when they were consistently scoring 15-20 goals a season.

Play Gomis or Eder up front and let Ayew do what he does. We can hopefully revisit in January.
2 up top on 18:27 - Dec 4 with 803 viewsA_Fans_Dad

2 up top on 18:08 - Dec 4 by jack247

If we are counting last season, Gomis is perfectly capable of scoring with his head.

The fact that none of our midfield have scored bar Siggy from set pieces and Ayew from the wing, makes even less logical to take Ayew away from the position he scores goals from. Just like Lampard and Gerrard were never played up front when they were consistently scoring 15-20 goals a season.

Play Gomis or Eder up front and let Ayew do what he does. We can hopefully revisit in January.

Your Ayew comment makes me wonder if you actually watch the games.
"Ayew scoring from the wing", about the only time he is "on the wing" is during kick offs and when he is defending and then he can pop up on either wing, the rest of the time he is all over the field.
I thought that was why most posters suggest we needed a genuine winger to play on the right to get the "balance" back in the team.
2 up top on 18:37 - Dec 4 with 798 viewsjack247

2 up top on 18:27 - Dec 4 by A_Fans_Dad

Your Ayew comment makes me wonder if you actually watch the games.
"Ayew scoring from the wing", about the only time he is "on the wing" is during kick offs and when he is defending and then he can pop up on either wing, the rest of the time he is all over the field.
I thought that was why most posters suggest we needed a genuine winger to play on the right to get the "balance" back in the team.

Jesus.

He obviously doesn't score directly from the touchline. He drifts from his position (centre backs are marking the centre forward) into the box and pops up unmarked. He isn't a typical hug the touchline type winger and that's why he a) scores goals and b) unbalances the team.

I will phrase it differently - if we didn't play with a recognised centre forward, gave Ayew that role (thus making him the focal point, easy to mark and with less licence to drift), then played someone else on the wing, do you think it would make it harder for Ayew to play to his strengths and do you think we have anyone else in the squad capable of drifting in from the wing and scoring goals?
2 up top on 19:24 - Dec 4 with 775 viewsA_Fans_Dad

2 up top on 18:37 - Dec 4 by jack247

Jesus.

He obviously doesn't score directly from the touchline. He drifts from his position (centre backs are marking the centre forward) into the box and pops up unmarked. He isn't a typical hug the touchline type winger and that's why he a) scores goals and b) unbalances the team.

I will phrase it differently - if we didn't play with a recognised centre forward, gave Ayew that role (thus making him the focal point, easy to mark and with less licence to drift), then played someone else on the wing, do you think it would make it harder for Ayew to play to his strengths and do you think we have anyone else in the squad capable of drifting in from the wing and scoring goals?

Both Montero & Routledge did exactly that last year along with Dyer.
I think that you will find that Naughton has also done so for other clubs.
But that of course was when everyone who could score was scoring.
2 up top on 19:47 - Dec 4 with 768 viewsjack247

2 up top on 19:24 - Dec 4 by A_Fans_Dad

Both Montero & Routledge did exactly that last year along with Dyer.
I think that you will find that Naughton has also done so for other clubs.
But that of course was when everyone who could score was scoring.

Montero has never done that for us. Dyer and Routledge both used to play their way into goalscoring positions with one twos from Gylfi/Bony and did sometimes score, but neither has ever been the goal threat from wide that Ayew is. Some players just have that knack of ghosting into dangerous positions unmarked.

If we get back to our old way of playing, then yes, different players will get into goalscoring positions, but that's a formation/playing style argument rather than a personnel one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024