Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey 09:33 - Jan 29 with 15187 viewsBrierls

I'm absolutely gutted to post this, but I'm sad to inform you all that Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey passed away last night.

I've written this out a hundred times, but I still can't do the man justice. Mick was the nicest bloke you could ever meet and Dale through and through. Up until recently Mick could be seen at pretty much every Dale game, with his son David (Chaff), and whatever rabble he'd driven to the game this week. Always comically grumpy, always something to moan about, but above anything else always a top top bloke who was great to have in your company.

Cliche central but he will be missed. Massively.

Chaff has asked me to post because so many on here knew Papa Chaff, in fact he's probably given half of us a lift to an away game at some point.

RIP Papa Chaff.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 16:22 - Jan 29 with 3987 viewsMoonyDale

Sincere condolences to Chaff and family, RIP .........

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 17:01 - Jan 29 with 3927 views442Dale

Condolences to Chaff and family.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 17:34 - Jan 29 with 3863 viewsSisterChaff

Hello everyone, Lauren Chaffey here. I just wanted to say a massive thank you to all of you for the lovely messages and respects. And thank you Brierls for the really lovely words too. My dad was a huge Dale fan and he had so many friends and people who loved and respected him. He was a wonderful man and I'm sure that he's smiling down on us all right now. If any of you wish to pay your respects at my dad's funeral, speak to my brother Chaff for the details.
Thank you all again.
Up the Dale.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 17:46 - Jan 29 with 3829 viewsSisterChaff

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 14:50 - Jan 29 by YouTubeDale

RIP to a fellow Daley and condolences to family and friends.

I know it's not the usual thing at these sad times but could we have a picture of him here? Like most Daleys we know so many people by sight but not knowing names.

Apologies if I ask too much.

Papa Chaff's 70th birthday last year. https://gyazo.com/a9a7597a0a20052ab5f9f43b6c5ddfe3
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 17:50 - Jan 29 with 3816 viewsSuddenLad

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 17:34 - Jan 29 by SisterChaff

Hello everyone, Lauren Chaffey here. I just wanted to say a massive thank you to all of you for the lovely messages and respects. And thank you Brierls for the really lovely words too. My dad was a huge Dale fan and he had so many friends and people who loved and respected him. He was a wonderful man and I'm sure that he's smiling down on us all right now. If any of you wish to pay your respects at my dad's funeral, speak to my brother Chaff for the details.
Thank you all again.
Up the Dale.

Lauren - your Dad was a diamond. I knew him for 45 years and he'll not be forgotten, that's for sure.

Please ask David to post the funeral details on here, so that those of who are able to, can attend.

Thanks.......

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 18:33 - Jan 29 with 3760 viewsrafc1977

Like a few others have posted, I didn't know 'Papa Chaff' but would like to pass on my condolences to family & friends. RIP.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 18:33 - Jan 29 with 3754 viewsSuddenLad

Funeral Arrangements have been confirmed and this will take place at 1pm on Friday the 12th of February at Rochdale Crematorium, Bury Road, Rochdale.

All those attending are invited to join the family afterwards at Studds Bar, Rochdale Football Club.

Donations in lieu of flowers to Christies Hospital

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 18:44 - Jan 29 with 3735 viewsolympicdale

I didn't know the man, but always sad to hear of a true Daley's passing. RIP

Life is a game of fate.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 19:12 - Jan 29 with 3684 viewsChaffRAFC

I won't lie, I'm genuinely heart broken. I've never gone through anything like this but the fact I've had to charge my phone twice due to the amount of tributes and well wishes shows how much people liked him and how much he meant to me. I've not just lost my Dad, I've lost the man who I go to Dale with, the man I go drinking with, the man who points out good looking women to me when I've not seen, the man I put the world to rights with and so many many other things.

I'm utterly overwhelmed by the amount of messages we've received and I'd just like to thank everybody on here for adding to that. I know my brothers Darren and Jason are also overwhelmed by the support along with my sister who posted before.

As Sudden Lad has posted, the funeral details are as follows:

Friday 12th February
Rochdale Crematorium
1pm
Donations to be made to The Christie Hospital in Manchester.
Absolutely anybody welcome to join us
We have hired the Studds Bar afterwards for a good old drink as well with food being provided as well.

Thank you

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 20:10 - Jan 29 with 3564 viewsrobtheb

Think I knew who he was. Sad time. Condolences to all his family.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 20:16 - Jan 29 with 3552 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

RIP Papa Chaff.

My thoughts are with the lovely Chaff family.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 22:19 - Jan 29 with 3452 viewsdalenumber2

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 16:10 - Jan 29 by ParkinsGimp

RIP Papa Chaff sad news.

Thoughts with you Chaff at a very sad time - rest in peace Papa Chaff.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2016 22:21]
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 22:37 - Jan 29 with 3422 viewsRosun

OK. Minutes applause required tomorrow. Can someone pick a number between 0 and 90 that meant something to senior Chaff?
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 23:36 - Jan 29 with 3343 viewsStatzdale

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 22:37 - Jan 29 by Rosun

OK. Minutes applause required tomorrow. Can someone pick a number between 0 and 90 that meant something to senior Chaff?

Why not do it before kickoff.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 01:01 - Jan 30 with 3278 viewsRalphs12

Always enjoyed having a good laugh with papa chaff, especially hearing his thoughts on the game and certain players, will be sorely missed. Proper bloke.

Rest in Peace Papa.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 04:56 - Jan 30 with 3059 viewsNigeriamark

Sorry to hear bout your loss Chaff ( not sure if I met your dad).

All the best to you and your family
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 11:13 - Jan 30 with 2928 viewsnordenblue

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 04:56 - Jan 30 by Nigeriamark

Sorry to hear bout your loss Chaff ( not sure if I met your dad).

All the best to you and your family

Sorry to hear this news,all the best to the family Chaff
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 11:29 - Jan 30 with 2909 viewsaleanddale

RIP Mick.. Terrible news.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 12:46 - Jan 30 with 2828 viewsDannyG_RAFC

Rest in peace Papa Chaffey
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 13:12 - Jan 30 with 2769 viewsdeezel

Always sad to hear of the passing of a true football fan, the lifeblood of club's like ours

Condolences to the Chaff family

RIP Sir
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 17:58 - Jan 30 with 2639 viewsaleanddale

Fitting the side gave Papa Chaff 3 points today ( from his new seat I like to think he loved today's win)
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 18:33 - Jan 30 with 2583 viewsChaffRAFC

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 17:58 - Jan 30 by aleanddale

Fitting the side gave Papa Chaff 3 points today ( from his new seat I like to think he loved today's win)

Took my son for his first game today as it seemed quite fitting and he absolutely loved it until the wife quite rightly took him home in the second half as it was too cold. Good start to many years of watching the Dale!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 18:42 - Jan 30 with 2545 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 18:33 - Jan 30 by ChaffRAFC

Took my son for his first game today as it seemed quite fitting and he absolutely loved it until the wife quite rightly took him home in the second half as it was too cold. Good start to many years of watching the Dale!

Well done you.........I don't know you or your late Father but it's great that to see the amount of support you have received from so many Dale fans and the ripple of applause that broke out following the announcement, prior to the game.

Also good to hear of "new" blood being brought into the Club at a tender age just as the older ones move on to pastures new.
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 20:11 - Jan 30 with 2471 viewsFondles

RIP hope your alright chaff, must have been frigin death day on Friday, my dad also died.
RIP both x
Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 20:13 - Jan 30 with 2455 views1mark1

Mick 'Papa Chaff' Chaffey on 20:11 - Jan 30 by Fondles

RIP hope your alright chaff, must have been frigin death day on Friday, my dad also died.
RIP both x

My condolences to you and your family , and your Dads friends.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024