Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alzheimers 00:30 - Apr 17 with 6775 viewsjoecooke

I speak to my old man most days(make sure hes not gone missing) and predominantely we talk football.

He does talk sense with regards too how we have been this season,a little bit unpradictable with regards to how we play and how we manage,which i thought was quiet insigtful at the start of the season.

Now we have started to win a bit,he is confused(easily done with a 70s supporter)

Any roads (as a total side thread),i saw the birch hill football team thread and as he played for Sudden in the late 60's -70's who according to him were dynamite!

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Alzheimers on 00:59 - Apr 17 with 5542 viewsjoecooke

If anyone could add to who was the best amatuer football team in the late 60/70s in Rochdale that would create more conversation.

Alzheimers on 02:06 - Apr 17 with 5495 viewsHopwoodblue

Alzheimers on 00:59 - Apr 17 by joecooke

If anyone could add to who was the best amatuer football team in the late 60/70s in Rochdale that would create more conversation.

Rochdale Nommads would be a good shout
Played for them in the eighths but not the same team as the sixties.
Got to say Big shout to Pete general in midfield of the sixties and still going to Dale
Some much knoweldge ! Happy days.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Alzheimers on 04:31 - Apr 17 with 5464 viewsDiddyDave

Best teams in the late sixties,early seventies who played in the Rochdale Amateur League and Sunday School League were Sudden SC,Whitworth Valley,Whittles,Brights,Riley Springs and Sacred Heart from memory. Milton and Rochdale St.Clements were in different Manchester Amateur Leagues. Saw some great matches,my mate Tom Cryer played for Sudden SC with Dave Hall and Johnny Moore,anybody remember them?
Alzheimers on 07:44 - Apr 17 with 5396 viewsseasidedale

tim bobbin had a good side in the 70's I remember having a close season trial with them as I was a decent left back, there were lots of other lads trialing, This winger tore me to shredds, needless to say I didnt sign on, the lad i think was called Neil Mills and went on to sign pro for dale shortly after
Alzheimers on 08:30 - Apr 17 with 5343 viewsjoecooke

Alzheimers on 04:31 - Apr 17 by DiddyDave

Best teams in the late sixties,early seventies who played in the Rochdale Amateur League and Sunday School League were Sudden SC,Whitworth Valley,Whittles,Brights,Riley Springs and Sacred Heart from memory. Milton and Rochdale St.Clements were in different Manchester Amateur Leagues. Saw some great matches,my mate Tom Cryer played for Sudden SC with Dave Hall and Johnny Moore,anybody remember them?

I will ask my old fella about the names mentioned for Sudden SC as he loves to chat about the old days ,his name is Steve Bonynge .

Alzheimers on 08:52 - Apr 17 with 5305 viewssince58

Alzheimers on 04:31 - Apr 17 by DiddyDave

I remember playing against most of those teams, as I played for Rileys,later to be
Wellfield Inn. We played Sudden in a final on Turners in the seventies and lost to them. I think there was more watching that final than Dale got in those days . I remember Hally ,johnny Moore, Jack Horrocks ,Shanksy ,the Trippiers and Harold the manager.
Alzheimers on 09:05 - Apr 17 with 5280 viewsDiddyDave

Alzheimers on 08:30 - Apr 17 by joecooke

I will ask my old fella about the names mentioned for Sudden SC as he loves to chat about the old days ,his name is Steve Bonynge .

Did he go to the Tech? I remember a Stephen Bonynge,he was in the year above me.
Alzheimers on 10:01 - Apr 17 with 5201 viewsmingthemerciless

Johnny Moore was a class player. I played in the same team as him as a kid. Kirkholt Youth Club, although I never went to the club. David Platt and Alan Robinson played in the same team as the two of us and they both later played for Milton.

If you're going off achievements Milton must have been the best local team by a fair margin. TBA 1st team in the Manchester Industrial League were pretty good . Whitworth Valley came very good later on. I played in the Rochdale Little World Cup that was organised in the August after the 1966 World Cup. Got a serious injury during that that I never recovered from. I think the teams involved were TBA, Sacred Heart, St Clements, and Robinsons.

A few names from an era that was full of top local players - Brian Whatmough, Rod Fitton, Graham Wood, Peter Coad, Dennis Bulcock, John Harvey, Peter Coleman, Stu Hartley, Ian Sheppard, Geoff Foster in goal, Johnny Leech ( Vinnys brother ) Steve Mellodew, John Taylor. Keith Hill was good but a bit mouthy. Chris Shyne who later played in goal for the 'Dale. I could go on all day.

The local amateur leagues were booming and every almost every team had talented players. Most big companies had works teams and good playing areas. Tweedale & Smalleys, TBA had great pitches. Dunlops wasn't bad.

My claim to fame there - hitting the upper deck of a No 17 bus which had stopped to pick up passengers at the bus stop on Manchester Rd, behind the goals. A corner was cleared out to me and I really hammered it back towards the goals. I just got under the ball a bit ! So I could at least hit the side of a bus. My team mates never let me forget that.

Happy days. When I played for TBA we'd dash from the ground to get in the 'Dale for the last 15 mins when they opened the gates to late the early leavers out.

I remember going to a Rochdale Amateur League Cup Final at Spotland around that time - Whitworth Valley v Shawforth and the gate was about 2,500. More than the 'Dale were getting for some games at the time.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2016 10:13]
Login to get fewer ads

Alzheimers on 10:41 - Apr 17 with 5121 viewsDiddyDave

Alzheimers on 10:01 - Apr 17 by mingthemerciless

Johnny Moore was a class player. I played in the same team as him as a kid. Kirkholt Youth Club, although I never went to the club. David Platt and Alan Robinson played in the same team as the two of us and they both later played for Milton.

If you're going off achievements Milton must have been the best local team by a fair margin. TBA 1st team in the Manchester Industrial League were pretty good . Whitworth Valley came very good later on. I played in the Rochdale Little World Cup that was organised in the August after the 1966 World Cup. Got a serious injury during that that I never recovered from. I think the teams involved were TBA, Sacred Heart, St Clements, and Robinsons.

A few names from an era that was full of top local players - Brian Whatmough, Rod Fitton, Graham Wood, Peter Coad, Dennis Bulcock, John Harvey, Peter Coleman, Stu Hartley, Ian Sheppard, Geoff Foster in goal, Johnny Leech ( Vinnys brother ) Steve Mellodew, John Taylor. Keith Hill was good but a bit mouthy. Chris Shyne who later played in goal for the 'Dale. I could go on all day.

The local amateur leagues were booming and every almost every team had talented players. Most big companies had works teams and good playing areas. Tweedale & Smalleys, TBA had great pitches. Dunlops wasn't bad.

My claim to fame there - hitting the upper deck of a No 17 bus which had stopped to pick up passengers at the bus stop on Manchester Rd, behind the goals. A corner was cleared out to me and I really hammered it back towards the goals. I just got under the ball a bit ! So I could at least hit the side of a bus. My team mates never let me forget that.

Happy days. When I played for TBA we'd dash from the ground to get in the 'Dale for the last 15 mins when they opened the gates to late the early leavers out.

I remember going to a Rochdale Amateur League Cup Final at Spotland around that time - Whitworth Valley v Shawforth and the gate was about 2,500. More than the 'Dale were getting for some games at the time.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2016 10:13]

I went to school with Platty,knew Pete Coad,Bunny Harvey,Stu Hartley,Ian Sheppard,Johnny Taylor,Barry Bradbury and Chris Shyne,bless him,all very well. Yes,I could go on all day too!! Johnny Moore was the Jim Baxter of Rochdale Amateur football if you could say that. All those lads would`ve had trials around the north,but such was the competition,they were lucky to get twenty minutes here,thirty minutes there. Paul Crossley and Steve Melledew were the only ones I can recall who made professional,though John Simpson`s brother,Charlie,briefly made it for Rochdale. Some of those Cup Finals were absolute belters,marvellous footballers,marvellous memories.
Alzheimers on 11:17 - Apr 17 with 5077 viewsmingthemerciless

Alzheimers on 10:41 - Apr 17 by DiddyDave

I went to school with Platty,knew Pete Coad,Bunny Harvey,Stu Hartley,Ian Sheppard,Johnny Taylor,Barry Bradbury and Chris Shyne,bless him,all very well. Yes,I could go on all day too!! Johnny Moore was the Jim Baxter of Rochdale Amateur football if you could say that. All those lads would`ve had trials around the north,but such was the competition,they were lucky to get twenty minutes here,thirty minutes there. Paul Crossley and Steve Melledew were the only ones I can recall who made professional,though John Simpson`s brother,Charlie,briefly made it for Rochdale. Some of those Cup Finals were absolute belters,marvellous footballers,marvellous memories.

I'd have said Graham Wood was more in the Jim Baxter mode. A tall and gangly guy who looked a bit like Buddy Holly with his thick rimmed glasses. Not what you'd expect to see in a top class player but what a cultured midfielder with a great left foot.

He was a really nice guy off the pitch but he gave as good as he got on it.

I remember seeing Hamer play in a final on Spotland with Coady, Benny Newall ( who later played for Accrington Stanley ) and Graham Wood as the half back line.

Pete, if you're reading this - brilliant own goal !
Alzheimers on 11:55 - Apr 17 with 5021 viewsDiddyDave

Yes,Graham Wood was a top player,I`d long since forgotten about him playing for Hamer Youth Club. I think he went to Greenbank and had a couple of brothers. I honestly can`t remember that Cup Final at Spotland though I know I would`ve been there as they were all the kids I knocked about with at that time. That must`ve been about 1964,who did they play Ming?
Alzheimers on 12:44 - Apr 17 with 4967 viewsRobbiebox

My old fella and uncle used to play for Rochdale Nomads and Milton around that time, he used to describe Milton as world beaters, he told me they won everything at the time.
Lovely fella Mr Bonnynge, used to see him when he shared box 8 wi Douggie, Dusty, Shanny etc, still see him walking up Edenfield Rd occasionally.
Alzheimers on 12:48 - Apr 17 with 4946 viewsSuddenLad

My good lady remembers Steve Bonynge well and says she went to Penn Street school with him.

She also claims to be distantly related and passes on her best wishes to him.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Alzheimers on 13:36 - Apr 17 with 4896 viewsmingthemerciless

Alzheimers on 11:55 - Apr 17 by DiddyDave

Yes,Graham Wood was a top player,I`d long since forgotten about him playing for Hamer Youth Club. I think he went to Greenbank and had a couple of brothers. I honestly can`t remember that Cup Final at Spotland though I know I would`ve been there as they were all the kids I knocked about with at that time. That must`ve been about 1964,who did they play Ming?

I think they were playing Broadwater in the final. Hamer won in a canter. 4-1 I think. Coady got the Broadwater goal with a classic own goal header. They were a good side. The left back was a top player called Dave Brierley. I think he captained Hamer. Best amateur left back I played with or against. He packed it in very young because he was a self employed joiner and he couldn't afford to get injured.
Alzheimers on 15:48 - Apr 17 with 4821 viewsrobtheb

Alzheimers on 08:30 - Apr 17 by joecooke

Know Steve very well, saw him just the other day on Edenfield Rd.

Sorted me out with my 1st mortgage late 70s.

He was a regular in the garage I worked at. We use to play 5-a-side football down Manchester every Friday night.

Good guy.
Alzheimers on 16:05 - Apr 17 with 4809 views1949er

Alzheimers on 00:59 - Apr 17 by joecooke

Brights Rochdale Sunday School league along with Milnrow Parish.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Alzheimers on 18:07 - Apr 17 with 4716 viewsmingthemerciless

Alzheimers on 16:05 - Apr 17 by 1949er

Brights Rochdale Sunday School league along with Milnrow Parish.

Yeah, Brights had a good side. Forgot about them.
Alzheimers on 18:39 - Apr 17 with 4678 viewssince58

Alzheimers on 18:07 - Apr 17 by mingthemerciless

Yeah, Brights had a good side. Forgot about them.

R.A. L .
David bridges Castleton , Rochdale athletic.
Alzheimers on 23:21 - Apr 20 with 4432 viewsjoecooke

Alzheimers on 09:05 - Apr 17 by DiddyDave

Did he go to the Tech? I remember a Stephen Bonynge,he was in the year above me.

Yeh he did go to the technical colege

Alzheimers on 08:51 - Apr 21 with 4345 viewsmingthemerciless

Alzheimers on 23:21 - Apr 20 by joecooke

Yeh he did go to the technical colege

Did you mean the Technical School ? I remember a Stephen Bonynge from my time there but I don't have memories of him playing on the football team.
Alzheimers on 09:18 - Apr 21 with 4335 viewsjoecooke

Alzheimers on 08:51 - Apr 21 by mingthemerciless

Did you mean the Technical School ? I remember a Stephen Bonynge from my time there but I don't have memories of him playing on the football team.

Yes it was the technical school i believe, dont know about him playing football at School,when we chat its mostly about Sudden SC and other sides he played for.

Alzheimers on 11:13 - Apr 21 with 4300 viewsmingthemerciless

Maybe he was a late developer. If he played for Sudden in the old days he must have been a decent player.
Alzheimers on 08:03 - Jan 21 with 2084 viewsjoecooke

Unfortunately my father Steve Bonynge passed away on January 19th after a long battle with Alzheimers.

As a few people on here had commented on knowing him on this old thread i thought i would update.

He was a Rochdale lad through and through and a lifelong Dale fan who introduced myself and my brother to supporting Dale. We have some fantastic memories from going to watch Rochdale all over the country together and feel privileged to have had those experiences. The football itself varied from dire to fantastic but thats being a Dale fan and wouldnt have changed it for the world.

Alzheimers on 09:11 - Jan 21 with 1964 viewsjudd

Alzheimers on 08:03 - Jan 21 by joecooke

Unfortunately my father Steve Bonynge passed away on January 19th after a long battle with Alzheimers.

As a few people on here had commented on knowing him on this old thread i thought i would update.

He was a Rochdale lad through and through and a lifelong Dale fan who introduced myself and my brother to supporting Dale. We have some fantastic memories from going to watch Rochdale all over the country together and feel privileged to have had those experiences. The football itself varied from dire to fantastic but thats being a Dale fan and wouldnt have changed it for the world.

Sorry to hear your sad news. I hope you got to show your Dad this thread and all the names it threw up.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Alzheimers on 11:25 - Jan 21 with 1821 viewsSandyman

Alzheimers on 09:11 - Jan 21 by judd

Sorry to hear your sad news. I hope you got to show your Dad this thread and all the names it threw up.

Condolences to you and yours joecooke.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024