Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Awful British accents in film history 15:41 - Apr 27 with 4987 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Watching Bram Stoker's Dracula again recently (Winona Ryder, and especially Keanu Reeves sounding like his Bill and Ted character doing a English accent) made me think about this. What are some others that have ruined a movie for you?

As someone who often hates movies and TV shows with Texan characters in them, because usually the actor is a Californian or Yankee doing a horribly bad and/or overdone drawl, I can empathize if it ever drives you nuts. Even when I was a kid, the TV show Dallas was just unwatchable.

I'd say Kevin Costner and Christian Slater in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is another awful one, but they didn't even try.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2016 0:13]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Awful British accents in flim history on 15:51 - Apr 27 with 2071 viewsDarran

Michael Caine in everything he's ever been in.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Awful British accents in flim history on 16:02 - Apr 27 with 2060 viewsfather_jack

hate our boys who do the reverse and have great voices. sean bean, richard armatage etc.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

Awful British accents in flim history on 16:12 - Apr 27 with 2048 viewsDavillin

Awful British accents in flim history on 16:02 - Apr 27 by father_jack

hate our boys who do the reverse and have great voices. sean bean, richard armatage etc.

If you mean by "do the reverse" to do the same kind of silly "American" accent, I agree.

I have posted something like this before: just as there are countless "British accents," there are also countless "American accents." In both instances, there is no one of either and the only result of someone trying to use the other is a hodge-podge indistinguishable.

There are at least a half-dozen in Swansea alone that even I can identify. Doubtless many more that I cannot.

The variety in both countries makes them all the more fascinating. Just not in movies or TV.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:32 - Apr 27 with 2003 viewsCountyJim

Talking about this funny enough when an American does a Brit accent it always come over as a Cockney yet the British actors seem to do a better job just look at Hugh Laurie in House even some Americans thought he was American

Andrew Lincoln David Morrissey Lennie James all very good as well
Awful British accents in flim history on 17:39 - Apr 27 with 1996 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I can't believe no one's mentioned Dick Van Dyke.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2016 17:39]

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:40 - Apr 27 with 1988 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:32 - Apr 27 by CountyJim

Talking about this funny enough when an American does a Brit accent it always come over as a Cockney yet the British actors seem to do a better job just look at Hugh Laurie in House even some Americans thought he was American

Andrew Lincoln David Morrissey Lennie James all very good as well

Christian Bale is always really natural as an American. In fact, I can't remember a film in which he was British.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:44 - Apr 27 with 1979 viewslondonlisa2001

The horror of Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins will probably never be surpassed Tummer.

One of the best I've ever heard was (or is actually as the new one is being released this year) one of your fellow Texans, Renee Zellweger in the Bridget Jones films who does an excellent Britsih accent - she could pass as British.

A lot of the U.S. TV shows and films recently (the big ones) actually have a lot of British actors playing Americans in them - obviously Hugh Laurie in House but also both leads in The Affair are British, the main characters in The Wire are British, the current Superman is British, all the young leads in the Star Wars film are British (one does a British accent and one an American accent). The leads in Selma were all British, same with Twelve Years a Slave etc etc. Sex & The City one is British, obviously Gillian Anderson from the X-files is half British (and grew up here). I have no idea whether their accents are good or bad (I imagine they are fairly generic) but many Americans seem to think they are American actors so they can't be that bad.

You'd need to go some to beat the current accent of one of Swansea's finest exports, Catherine Zeta Jones, whose accent veers from pure Swansea to weird pastiche American depending on, it seems, which programme she's on and how many drinks she's had :-)
Awful British accents in flim history on 17:51 - Apr 27 with 1969 viewslondonlisa2001

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:39 - Apr 27 by Joe_bradshaw

I was typing it as you posted !
Login to get fewer ads

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:52 - Apr 27 with 1967 viewsscottishjack

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:39 - Apr 27 by Joe_bradshaw

Don Cheadle in the Oceans (11,12,13) deserves a dishonourable mention too...
Awful British accents in flim history on 17:57 - Apr 27 with 1962 viewslondonlisa2001

Awful British accents in flim history on 17:40 - Apr 27 by Tummer_from_Texas

Christian Bale is always really natural as an American. In fact, I can't remember a film in which he was British.

I think you meant to say 'Christian Bale is always really natural as a complete d**k.'

His accent is completely made up anyway - he was born and brought up in Haverfordwest then Bournemouth but speaks as though he is one of the Krays.
Awful British accents in flim history on 17:59 - Apr 27 with 1953 viewsPhaedrus

Lake Bell in 'Man up' was absolutely spiffing, to turn the thread on its head. Very good accent indeed and a very funny performance.

And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good. Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:03 - Apr 27 with 1944 viewsDarran

Rick Grimes is awesome he's got a son called Coral.

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:04 - Apr 27 with 1944 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Winnona Ryder
She can speak in any accent she wants to me
Best t!ts in show business 😍

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:47 - Apr 27 with 1909 viewsunion_jack

The cast of Spinal Tap were great (in all respects as well as their accents).

I didn't know they were American when I first saw the film in the 80s.

Jonny Lee Miller does a good American accent I think. Saw him on S5 of Dexter recently.

The black actress who plays the lead cop in Blindspot has to do a NY accent. I dont think it's too good but would welcome a native's opinion (Tummer / Dav?) if anyone's seen it.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:50 - Apr 27 with 1906 viewsHighjack

I saw an interview with Hugh Laurie who said he regularly gets letters off American fans who have just seen blackadder for the first time saying that his English accent is really convincing considering he's American.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:53 - Apr 27 with 1901 viewsDarran

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:47 - Apr 27 by union_jack

Jonny Lee Miller does a good American accent I think. Saw him on S5 of Dexter recently.

The black actress who plays the lead cop in Blindspot has to do a NY accent. I dont think it's too good but would welcome a native's opinion (Tummer / Dav?) if anyone's seen it.

Blindspot is f*cking awful.
Just saying.

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:04 - Apr 27 with 1880 viewsunion_jack

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:53 - Apr 27 by Darran

Blindspot is f*cking awful.
Just saying.

Just saying it as it is then.

Yes, awful but for some reason I keep on watching.

Also enjoying The Tunnel and Undercover atm.

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:08 - Apr 27 with 1879 viewslondonlisa2001

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:04 - Apr 27 by union_jack

Just saying it as it is then.

Yes, awful but for some reason I keep on watching.

Also enjoying The Tunnel and Undercover atm.

Is the Tunnel worth a look?

It's on sky box sets at the moment and I was thinking of downloading it.
Awful British accents in flim history on 19:12 - Apr 27 with 1873 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Awful British accents in flim history on 18:50 - Apr 27 by Highjack

I saw an interview with Hugh Laurie who said he regularly gets letters off American fans who have just seen blackadder for the first time saying that his English accent is really convincing considering he's American.

I made the same mistake with Damian Lewis. I just assumed he was American when I was watching Band of Brothers. Then I saw him in something with his real accent years later and thought "wow, he does a pretty good Brit."

Speaking of which, Band of Brothers had a bunch of Brits who do a pretty good job as Americans. Another one was Stephen Graham, who was also great as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2016 19:17]

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:13 - Apr 27 with 1872 viewsunion_jack

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:08 - Apr 27 by londonlisa2001

Is the Tunnel worth a look?

It's on sky box sets at the moment and I was thinking of downloading it.

I got through it and will go to S2 next. It's reasonably good.

Line Of Duty was better.

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:15 - Apr 27 with 1872 viewsTummer_from_Texas

I would check out Blindspot, but it sounds like y'all don't think it's worth the time. It's on NBC over here and I don't normally watch much network TV anymore.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2016 19:16]

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:20 - Apr 27 with 1854 viewslondonlisa2001

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:12 - Apr 27 by Tummer_from_Texas

I made the same mistake with Damian Lewis. I just assumed he was American when I was watching Band of Brothers. Then I saw him in something with his real accent years later and thought "wow, he does a pretty good Brit."

Speaking of which, Band of Brothers had a bunch of Brits who do a pretty good job as Americans. Another one was Stephen Graham, who was also great as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2016 19:17]

Damian Lewis is not only British, Tumner, he is Welsh ! His middle name is Watcyn (although I think he'was born in London).
Awful British accents in flim history on 19:20 - Apr 27 with 1853 viewsunion_jack

Let me know what her accent is like if you do.

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:24 - Apr 27 with 1843 viewslondonlisa2001

Awful British accents in flim history on 19:13 - Apr 27 by union_jack

I got through it and will go to S2 next. It's reasonably good.

Line Of Duty was better.

I'll try them both - I think they have Line of Duty on the iplayer.

Favourite at the moment is the Blacklist. I like the a Good Wife as well although this series isn't as good (Alan Cumming is another Brit who does a pretty good American in that actually).
Awful British accents in flim history on 19:29 - Apr 27 with 1838 viewsDavillin

Can't help you. Haven't seen it. Sorry.

Because there are a number of "New York" accents, all to one degree or another distinguishable to an American ear, it's hard for an actor to be convincing unless he or she selects one and does it very well.

In my opinion, that'd be about as hard as it gets. I'm not certain that even another New Yorker could do a different accent.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024